View Full Version : Eventing near Columbus, GA

May. 27, 2009, 04:50 PM
Looks like my husband might transfer to Columbus, GA in the near future, so I'm looking for info on the area.

Thanks in advance for info on barns and eventing trivia. Is there a local dressage or eventing club to join and get newsletters? Or a local horsey newspaper to subscribe to?

We're leaning towards the north side of town (and yes, I already found Poplar Place :) It looks gorgeous, but boarding there would be a huge adjustment for the likes of us. I'd probably have to keep Patrick's mane pulled or something!)

May. 27, 2009, 05:15 PM
I have no idea what the board is at Poplar Place but Gary & Donna (the owners) are super nice not the type look down on us common folk. :D

There's also what used to be Big Bear up by Calloway Gardens but I'm not sure if it's still operating. Worth a look though as they have x-country through training level.

May. 27, 2009, 05:25 PM
Big Bear is still operating...though I'm not sure to what capacity. A few of us had off-ground stabling there for the March Poplar Place event.

May. 28, 2009, 01:08 PM
I live northwest of Columbus and there's a lot of good things going on down there.

Poplar is the number one eventing venue there, and they have lots of great schooling shows too. Big Bear is in Pine Mountain (I'm not sure that they do boarding though) and they've been working on updating their x-country course, and usually hold a number of schooling shows. Flat Creek isn't too far away either; their x-country course isn't in as great as shape as it used to be but it's still fun for low-level schooling.

I bet if you contacted Donna Stegman she could give you ideas on multiple boarding facilities in the area.

May. 28, 2009, 06:45 PM
Poplar is a great choice, plus there are a few empty stalls up at the main barn now so depending on when you come you could probably get a spot. Then you would be able to take lessons from Werner at a greatly reduced price =) . I'm a WS for Werner and boarding at Poplar right now, so I highly recommend it.
Other than that, Big Bear does still offer boarding, and they are not too terribly much farther away. Flat Creek is going to be quite a haul though. Poplar is about 20 minutes away from N. Columbus. There is Blaire Bowers (sp?) barn as well, she is a dressage rider but they have jumps and a few hj boarders I believe.
Werner is an EXCELLENT trainer though, and its great to be on site so that you can have frequent lessons with him if possible

May. 28, 2009, 06:47 PM
Oh, and if you put your horse in training here, I'll pull his mane :D. Thats actually what I am about to go do now lol

May. 28, 2009, 07:39 PM
Oh, and if you put your horse in training here, I'll pull his mane :D. Thats actually what I am about to go do now lol

That is instead of texting me back so i can tell you about rockys fiasco today. hey, i boarded three horses there, one of whom wasn't groomed for atleast six months and he was still welcome :) [well by the barn workers that is. Not by werner and those that once had to ride him!]

May. 29, 2009, 07:40 AM
A bit off topic, but whatever happened to the Midland Fox Hounds. Midland PC? That farm had a lovely cross country course. Of course, that was way back in the '70's. :winkgrin:

Like other great eventing venues, it is probably a housing development. :sadsmile:

May. 29, 2009, 07:43 AM
Midland is still around, no housing development and the pony club cleans up the cross country course for their little rally every year. You have to dig a little bit for the jumps!

May. 29, 2009, 04:22 PM
Midland Fox Hounds still active in the hunt arena just not holding their event. The best days were in the 70's and 80's going between Midland, Cahaba, Ft Rucker and Penrose.....!

May. 29, 2009, 06:48 PM
Midland Fox Hounds still active in the hunt arena just not holding their event. The best days were in the 70's and 80's going between Midland, Cahaba, Ft Rucker and Penrose.....!

Ahh - sweet memories. I never made it to Penrose, but everyone raved about it!

May. 29, 2009, 09:46 PM
hi, i can give you blair bowers contact info if you want. nice barn, great trainer, really nice lady all the way around. have sold her a couple of horses for her clients. and of course poplar is really nice. have not been to big bear in quite sometime, but i was great back in the day, and i do miss midland too :)
just pm or email me for the contact info.

May. 30, 2009, 11:52 AM
I 2nd Blair Bowers.....

florida foxhunter
May. 31, 2009, 10:00 PM
Midland Foxhounds are alive and well.......and as fun as ever! Their bigger country is now in Fitzpatrick AL, about an hour or so west of Columbus(that's where the best territory and jumps are) but they still hunt out of Columbus as well. One of their foxhounds just won the most prestigious Hounds Show in the US.....held in VA.......It won Best of Show.......plus Ben was put in the Foxhunter's Hall of Fame........as an icon in the evolution of Foxhunting in North America.......IMO it would almost be sacreligious to live in Columbus and not meet or go out with the Midland Hounds.......they're GREAT people!! Several of the family are eventers.....some in the highest levels, and some just having fun in the lower levels........
I sure wish I lived near Columbus........they've got a great group of horse people there!!

Aug. 7, 2009, 08:20 PM
For those of you in the Columbus area... Are there any local eventing or dressage clubs that have websites and event calendars? Or a local horsey newspaper to subscribe to?

Aug. 7, 2009, 10:30 PM
I agree with Poplar Place as well. Donna & Gary are great people, and Werner is an awesome trainer :) I haven't gotten a chance to train with him, but I was able to ask him a couple of questions while volunteering there, and I really liked what he said. The GDCTA (http://www.gdcta.org) is an awesome organization that covers all of Georgia, but its very active and hosts shows/clinics for all levels. One of my favorite things are the Kudzu Klinics; they only cost like, $20 and its great instruction.

Aug. 8, 2009, 06:55 PM
I was at Poplar Place for 8yrs. I left in 2005 when I was able to bring my mare home. Gary and Donna are both great. Anyone know if Billy Stewart is still teaching? I never did dressage but she is/was the person to get lessons from. I used to do H/J schooling shows at Big Bear back in the late 80s early 90s. So much fun and so convenient. My ultimate goal is to foxhunt with Midland (been saying that for awhile). At this point I need a mount and my guy is just not foxhunting material....but I will foxhunt one day......one day.