PDA

View Full Version : Saddles on Ebay?

GreyHunterHorse
May. 20, 2009, 01:36 PM
Just wondering, do many of you search ebay for used saddles when shopping for them? Would you consider that a reasonable source for saddles? I *just* listed mine for sale on there, its a lovely saddle and I need it to sell ASAP - I am just hoping that people view that as a viable resource when shopping for saddles. I am also looking for other options to sell online *besides* ebay, because if I have to sell it in store it will take longer plus I owe commission on it and I'd rather avoid that. Thanks for any suggestions!

Mayaty02
May. 20, 2009, 01:41 PM
Absolutely think it's a viable source...I bought mine there :)

cranky
May. 20, 2009, 01:43 PM
I bought my saddle on eBay (and it was also my first saddle purchase ever). I was very happy with the transaction. I know a bunch other people at my barn who have purchased saddle through eBay too.

Portia
May. 20, 2009, 02:20 PM
I just bought one there, and it was a very good transaction. My trainer wanted one exactly like mine, but Bates changed the design of the Elevation J so they weren't available new anymore, at least not that I could find in the right size. I found a gently used one in the right size on eBay and got it for a good price.

Since it was a Bates with a changeable gullet, and since I have the exact same saddle and know that the size fits my trainer and the saddle fits a variety of horses, there wasn't a question of will it fit or not.

In that case the seller did the right thing by taking several clear photos of the saddle that showed its condition, including showing the saddle's serial number so you could confirm it was genuine.

phoenix mom
May. 20, 2009, 02:42 PM
I sell and buy saddles on Ebay when we have to make a change. Make sure you have plenty of pictures and measurements. I have never had a problem on either end of the transaction.

Tha Ridge
May. 20, 2009, 02:45 PM
I've bought and sold a saddle on eBay. I got a great deal on my barely used Beval Devon, which I still love to this day.

luv2ride2
May. 20, 2009, 02:57 PM
I've bought and sold on eBay. I always use paypal to broker the payment. Some places even let you return the saddle if it doesn't work out, check the small print.

woodhillsmanhattan
May. 20, 2009, 02:58 PM
I just bought my butet off ebay about 2 months ago. Definatly think its a viable source, I am always shopping on ebay :)

PinkPonies
May. 20, 2009, 03:00 PM
I sold one saddle on a free text ad on www.equine.com. If it's a name brand that people want, it could work.

I think you can get a bit higher price from a website selling consigned saddles like www.usedsaddles.com. This is because 1- people can trial the saddle and 2- they are a reputable company, not a random person off Ebay. But, of course, they take a percent of your sale.

I've sold one saddle on ebay and got an okay price and it was pretty painless. I would buy on Ebay, but only if I knew and had tried the exact saddle I purchased.

mvp
May. 20, 2009, 03:37 PM
You must know exactly what you want. Sellers need to post good pics, including the underside that will help buyers estimate the panels' depth shape and fit for their horse. A measurement of the front "dot" to "dot" helps.

As a buyer you must also be knowledgeable about what different degrees of wear and compression in the panels look like. "2001 17 Butet" doesn't tell you enough.

Trials are tough. I don't think I will ever again buy a saddle I can't try first. It's a risky proposition for sellers and expensive for buyers to pay shipping both ways.

I have also found that it's a Total PITA and slight money-losing proposition to buy a saddle on Ebay thinking you will simply immediately resell it if it doesn't work. Remember that you pay Ebay's fees plus 3% to Paypal.

Tacktrader is another place that has worked for me.

I wouldn't put a saddle on consignment as you just lose too much money and have no guarantee that your saddle will be protected while in the shop's and their buyers' hands.

A place like Equusnow which give you full resale value on your used one toward a new one purchased from them offers the the only consignment terms I'd choose.

Indy
May. 20, 2009, 03:41 PM
I got my Beval Devon off of Ebay a few years ago. There weren't tons of pictures and it was being sold through one of those sell-it-for-you Ebay stores so the seller didn't know anything about it, so it was a bit of a crapshoot to purchase but I got it for such a steal of a price that I took the gamble. But for a higher priced saddle, I don't think I would have taken a risk on something without many pix or from someone who didn't know what they were selling.

I lucked out and got a great saddle for a fraction of what I probably should have paid for it.

webmistress32
May. 20, 2009, 03:46 PM
I have bought many saddles on ebay and have always gotten a good deal.

a crosby that was in storage for many years. close contact, good learning saddle for my kids. I still keep it as an "extra" saddle. I have had now for eight years. $100.

a Keiffer dressage saddle for $400. perfect condition. killer deal. with stirrups, irons and cover. nice.

a Stubben Siegfried in mint condition for my daughters TBX. perfect. 17.5" seat. like new. I have been riding in mine for 40 years, hopefully she will have hers as long. $350.

a Collegiate eventer for my younger daughter. med/wide tree. saddle had a history in the family where I got it, they were thrilled to have a young girl be the next owner. great condition. $250. five years she's been riding in it.

most recently, a Barnsby limited edition saddle older. dressage. well broken in. leather like butter. lovely. $550.

WorthTheWait95
May. 20, 2009, 03:47 PM
I got a great saddle on ebay with no problems and would for sure do it again. I did my research with a saddle fitter and new EXACTLY what I needed though. Lucked into a great saddle, basically brand new for only $2100 (they sell new for $4500-5000 and this one was only ridden in once!!).

LShipley
May. 20, 2009, 04:04 PM
I have purchased a saddle from ebay, but as mvp said, you do need to know what you want. If you are selling a polular/common brand, I think you will have an easier time moving it.

I recently sold my saddle through craigslist. Someone bought it locally, and I let them trial it for a week to make sure everyone was happy with it. And, no messing with shipping.

Pirateer
May. 20, 2009, 04:36 PM
I bought my new saddle off of ebay. It was a great price for a used french-made saddle.

Lots of good saddles on there nowadays for good deals.

Other sites are good but many will still charge commission on the sale (which ebay does also).

Craigslist is a good option if you are in a "horsey" area especially, or if its a cheaper saddle.

GreyHunterHorse
May. 20, 2009, 04:41 PM
So I put mine up on ebay for a 3-day listing with several pictures, and its up on Craigslist too, I'm in a very horsey area. I've also sent to friends on facebook etc. I called Equusnow and they cater to people just like me who have to sell their saddles before buying another, and they do indeed offer full resale price towards the new one. Plus, they carry the exact saddle I would be buying, so if my saddle doesn't sell in the next few days, I am definitely sending to Equusnow. I kind of wish I hadn't bothered listing on ebay! :lol:

Rescue_Rider9
May. 20, 2009, 05:47 PM
I just bought a saddle off there. It was a wintec though.. easy to buy,but I also just sold my saddle that wasnt a big name brand.. infact.. I have never heard of it THSL brand... anyone know of it? anyway.. it sold! I was shocked

Bogie
May. 20, 2009, 07:51 PM
I buy and sell saddles on eBay all the time. I've probably bought/sold close to a dozen. Often if a saddle doesn't work for me I can turn a profit by reselling it.

I wrote an article about How to avoid Ebay Saddle Scams (http://equineink.wordpress.com/2008/04/05/avoiding-ebay-saddle-scams/). Which might help.

*JumpIt*
May. 20, 2009, 08:48 PM
I have one I am trying to sell but no bites yet .:cough:siggy:cough:.

Beau Cheval
May. 20, 2009, 09:15 PM
Bought my beautiful butet for 2/3 of it's retail price on ebay.

Linny
May. 20, 2009, 09:41 PM
I bought my saddle on eBay from a fellow COTHer. I'm very happy with it.

happyhacker
May. 22, 2009, 09:00 PM
I sold a Butet on ebay for more than I paid for it. The money you have to pay ebay is so much less than if you buy or sell in a consignment store. For this reason, buyers often get really good deals. I think it's a great source for saddles.