PDA

View Full Version : Why does Shapley's smell like rancid bacon grease?

Mozart
May. 20, 2009, 11:51 AM
I think the title is self-explanatory :)

I love the stuff but not a fan of the smell. There must be some strange ingredient that causes that "rendered fat from wood smoked bacon" smell. Anyone know?

jn4jenny
May. 20, 2009, 11:59 AM
The high sulfur content probably has something to do w/ it, at least the smokiness part. I don't know what causes the bacon-y tinge to it; I know exactly what part of the smell you're referring to with that adjective, and it goes beyond merely smoky.

Ambrey
May. 20, 2009, 12:03 PM
I got that stuff on my horse exactly once. He hated it enough to turn his back on me the second he sees the bottle- if I want to keep putting it on I'll have to cross-tie him!

mvp
May. 20, 2009, 01:19 PM
Yes, it is the sulfur in Shapley's M-T-G that gives it the smokey smell. I'm sure this is what Hades smells like-- hot humid, intense, 24/7.

But the sulfur does have help with itching and perhaps killing nasty microscopic things.

Note that the sulfur can he hard on skin. Horses with sensitive skin can lose hair if you use too much for too long. When I use it on itchy tails in the summer, I don't do it more than once very couple of weeks. The horse swishing his tail will rub off the thin/fine hair on either side of his butt cheeks at the top. The tail hair stays in just fine.

Samantha37
May. 20, 2009, 01:22 PM
Really? I love the stuff (not the smell!) and the horses have never minded at all. I have used it on probably 20 different horses..
I try to put it on with gloves because the bacony grease smell does not come off!!!

Foxhound
May. 20, 2009, 01:24 PM
A pregnant friend told me recently that she loved the smell of the stuff, and was thinking of putting it on her stretch marks! :)
I've found that horses who have a reaction to it seem to react worse if they are turned out in the daytime. The sunlight combined with the chemicals must exacerbate skin reactions.

vineyridge
May. 20, 2009, 01:30 PM
One of the ingredients is lanolin, I believe. That plus the sulfur might give the bacony smell. Personally, I love it.

DMK
May. 20, 2009, 01:39 PM
vile vile stuff, but then again I worked for a trainer in the early 80's that used the old time remedy of cod liver oil + sulfur to damn near every part of a horse that was unhealthy or even healthy. Every day I left the barn with the smell of that stuff in my clothes, hands, you name it. Blech! CLO + Sulfur IS MTG for all intents and purposes - I'm certain it was an old time tracker that just dolled up this fairly common recipe and repackaged it. About 12 years ago I kept hearing people rave about MTG so I finally ordered a bottle and laughed my head off when I saw what it was - talk about everything old is new again! Of course then I opened it up and smelled it... Blech all over again! ;)

Mozart
May. 20, 2009, 01:55 PM
One of the ingredients is lanolin, I believe. That plus the sulfur might give the bacony smell. Personally, I love it.

Then shouldn't it smell muttony instead of bacony? Maybe the smoke smell plus animal fat = bacony?

Add cod liver oil to that and woo boy.

The horse that gets MTG in his itchy tail also gets frequent applications of Koppertox. I'm amazed my family lets me back in the house after night chores.

Nes
May. 20, 2009, 02:00 PM
because otherwise it wouldn't be MTG :)

It grew back a huge section of mane someone kindly bit off in just one summer, so you can't even tell where the new hair is!

I'd love to know if it worked on stretch marks, but I have a feeling my dogs would be all over me...

Huntertwo
May. 20, 2009, 02:16 PM
I used it for awhile with success, but my mare had a reaction to it one day. After putting it on one day, she wouldn't put her tail down. So I washed it out.

Another time, the skin between her back legs became quite pink and the skin started peeling.

Ended up throwing it in the trash.

DMK
May. 20, 2009, 02:54 PM
Add cod liver oil to that and woo boy.

actually I think they use some other type of oil in MTG - I'm guessing that was the "make it look just a wee bit different" than the DIY recipe that every old tracker knew about (in SFL at least, and I'm sure it was not limited to there). Years and years ago someone posted what the main ingredients were (this is about the 4,875th thread discussing the odor of MTG ;) ) and it was some variation on CLO. Just enough that it smells "differently bad" to those of us that thought the original smelled awful.

It always reminds me of the old basics we got by with:

epsom salts + bowie mud + vinegar/water = poultice
alum, saltpeter andmaybesomethingelseI'mforgetting + vinegar = tightening brace
captan powder (rose fungicide) in rinse water - prevent ringworm and every other fungus that sweeps through training facilities

and of course CLO+sulfur for everything else that ails you

rcloisonne
May. 20, 2009, 03:00 PM
You might "believe" that but don't know for sure. There is NO list of ingredients on the bottle and requests to the manufacturer go unanswered.

For all anyone knows it IS rancid bacon grease. Disgusting stuff.

jn4jenny
May. 20, 2009, 03:24 PM
You might "believe" that but don't know for sure. There is NO list of ingredients on the bottle and requests to the manufacturer go unanswered.

Google is our friend. Ingredient list for MTG from a site that sells the stuff:

Ingredients: Petroleum distillates, sulfur (4%), zinc stearate, glycerin, cade oil (rectified).

(Acquired from this link, http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/Products/mtg.htm)

And now that we have the ingredient list, we know what's making that smell. It's the cade oil. From Wikipedia:

"Cade oil is the essential oil obtained through destructive distillation of the wood of this shrub [Juniperus oxycedrus]. It is a dark, aromatic oil with a strong smoky smell which is used in some cosmetics and (traditional) skin treatment drugs, as well as incense."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_oxycedrus

And that in turn led me to this link to a British pharmacopoeia journal from 1918 regarding cade oil's usage:

"Uses.—Oil of cade has been used locally, by the peasantry, in the treatment of the cutaneous diseases of domestic animals almost from time immemorial. More recently it has been largely employed in the treatment of chronic eczema, psoriasis, and other skin diseases of man, and has also been found to be an efficient parasiticide in psora and favus. It is applied, sometimes of full strength, sometimes diluted with a bland oil, well rubbed into the affected parts with the fingers, or with a cloth, and is also made into ointments, and especially into soaps. A glycerite is also prepared. It is very rarely, if ever, used internally, but probably resembles oil of tar in its physiological action."
(From http://www.henriettesherbal.com/eclectic/usdisp/juniperus-oxyc_oleu.html)

Ambrey
May. 20, 2009, 03:46 PM
OK, that deserves a sticky! (probably won't get one, but great info!)

DMK
May. 20, 2009, 03:53 PM
juniper oil, that's it - I kept thinking pine oil which I knew was wrong, but I knew it was in the coniferous family ;)

Like I said above, someone once posted the ingredients which they did get from the company, but this was a long, long time ago.

Mozart
May. 20, 2009, 04:11 PM
Wow :eek: Ask and ye shall receive!

But while the top note is obviously the cade oil, I still think there is a middle note of animal fat somewhere, but no animal fat is listed in those ingredients. Hmm..

There is a shop downtown here that specializes in hard to find perfumes. The woman who owns it prides herself on her nose. I should bring her a whiff of Shapley's and see what she says. :winkgrin:

cloudyandcallie
May. 20, 2009, 04:26 PM
because rancid bacon grease (lard) is used by a lot of oldtimers on old scars to grow hair on horses?

rcloisonne
May. 20, 2009, 05:13 PM
OK, that deserves a sticky! (probably won't get one, but great info!)
Agreed! I'll admit I hadn't looked into this since 2003 when a lady at our boarding barn was using MGT to try and treat her horse's rain rot (half the horses on this farm broke out with it in a very short time).

The stuff stunk and didn't do a thing for the rainrot but it did give the poor more sores and bleached his coat where it was applied. I was stunned there was no list of ingredients on the bottle and wrote to the manufacturer inquiring. I even emailed them. No response to either. They didn't have a website at the time, or I couldn't find one.

Thanks for the info, jn4jenny. Another mystery solved. ;)

Really though, why don't they list the ingredients on the bottle? Seems rather odd (and suspicious) to me.

ImJumpin
May. 20, 2009, 05:33 PM
A pregnant friend told me recently that she loved the smell of the stuff, and was thinking of putting it on her stretch marks! :)
I've found that horses who have a reaction to it seem to react worse if they are turned out in the daytime. The sunlight combined with the chemicals must exacerbate skin reactions.

No, it is the sun combined with the oil that causes the burning. I feel like on the MTG bottle itself it warns you of use and the sun. Perhaps I made that up, but it is for sure the oil and the sun that cause irretation.

Nes
May. 20, 2009, 07:08 PM
Ther is a list of ingredients on my bottle...

It's small and just above the disclaimer about not putting it on in the sun.

theoldgreymare
May. 20, 2009, 10:48 PM
I actually knew this one but someone beat me to Cade oil/juniper tar! Juniper tar has been associated with potentially cancer-causing changes in the DNA of human skin. Not something I would use on myself (and MTG is popularly used for human hair growth in some circles) or my horses, no matter what miracles it is professed to produce. Besides, it stinks like a rancid Waffle House!

Equine Studies
May. 21, 2009, 09:45 AM
I'm 99.9 % certain there is a warning about sun sensitivity.

HoofHeartSoul
May. 21, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'm 99.9 % certain there is a warning about sun sensitivity.

i think there probably is...i haven't looked at my bottle enough.

but yeah don't put ANY oil based producut on in the sun... the sun's heat will heat it up and burn you will get lost hair and skin peeling......and pain :(

i found this out while using clac deo lotion fly spray i must have sprayed it too hard on one area and the next day extremely sore there, then the next he lost his hair..and the next day was peeling..

i felt so bad. this happens whne any oil product is applied in the sun in concentration.

apply it in the evening and it will dry by moring when your horse goes outside.