PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Barnsby Milton or M toulouse?

jewll27
May. 19, 2009, 10:38 PM
same price. cliff is used with leathers and a girth that will fit my beastie. which would you pick and why?

JB
May. 19, 2009, 10:54 PM
I'd pick the one in the best condition that fit me and my horse ;)

Which Toulouse model? Not all of them have as nice leather as others.

jewll27
May. 19, 2009, 11:06 PM
the annice double leather saddle

greyshowjumper
May. 19, 2009, 11:22 PM
Don't buy the Toulouse. A few of my friends have them and are not happy with them. I rode in one and didn't like it. Seat was too wide and flat, didn't feel one with horse. Go with the Barnsby saddle, better quality and reputation. Good luck with decision.

caffeinated
May. 19, 2009, 11:32 PM
personally, the barnsby. IMo higher quality, but also better balance and comfort. Not that I've ridden in a lot of M Toulouses, but the ones I have been in felt really weird to me and I didn't enjoy the experience.

But I'm a big brand loyalist and my first saddle was a barnsby, LOL

JB
May. 20, 2009, 08:59 AM
Don't buy the Toulouse. A few of my friends have them and are not happy with them. I rode in one and didn't like it. Seat was too wide and flat, didn't feel one with horse. Go with the Barnsby saddle, better quality and reputation. Good luck with decision.

However, wide and flat is well-suited to some riders ;)

Search for Toulouse here - there was a good discussion fairly recently. As usual, some like them, some don't, some only like the higher end Toulouse models. Not unusual.

Besides, the Milton also has a flattish seat. It also has a more forward flap - that might be the deal-breaker for the rider.

The Milton has a slight cutback to the pommel - important if there are significant withers.

It's not just about brand name or quality of leather. There's much more to it. I wouldn't call these saddles 100% interchangeable.

Sebastian
May. 20, 2009, 01:57 PM
FWIW, I have a Milton and LOVE it. And, the quality is superb.
Seb :)

trv_at_tacf
May. 20, 2009, 02:46 PM

Flat seat? What Toulouse did you ride in? Everyone i show my saddle too, says its way too deep. I hate flat saddles, perfect example my part time trainer's butet that i had to ride in last week, and its 5 times more expensive why!? ew.

GreyHunterHorse
May. 20, 2009, 03:03 PM
Personally liked the Toulouse's I sat in, but they were WAY WAY too wide in the tree for my horse, between the dots I mean. Very wide, every single model. Looked nice and comfy and deep seats, which I liked. Depends what fits your horse, I loved them to sit in but boy, was I disappointed in how wide they were.

HunterObsession
May. 20, 2009, 03:21 PM
I had Milton and hated it. It was so uncomfortable, I had the hardest time breaking it in, did not fit most of the horses I ride, plus it was terrible for my short legs. I would try the other saddle if I was you.

woodhillsmanhattan
May. 20, 2009, 04:01 PM
I have always loved Cliff Barnsby saddles. I used one for a bout a year (borrowed from a friend). The saddle was already 3+ years old when I got it and it still looked amazing when i was through with it. I rode in it everday and sometimes multiple horses.

Havn't heard very good things about the toulouse. It's OK saddle but won't hold up. It doesn't fit a variety of riders...

happyhacker
May. 20, 2009, 05:07 PM
My daughter had ridden in a Butet for years. She was a "die-hard" Butet fan. Then she got a new horse and, alas, the Butet did not fit him....at all.
We got a saddle fitter and she picked a Barnsby as the best fit. Well my daughter has ended up loving the Barnsby even though it is totally different from the Butet. Her horse likes it too!!!!

woodhillsmanhattan
May. 20, 2009, 11:43 PM
My daughter had ridden in a Butet for years. She was a "die-hard" Butet fan. Then she got a new horse and, alas, the Butet did not fit him....at all.
We got a saddle fitter and she picked a Barnsby as the best fit. Well my daughter has ended up loving the Barnsby even though it is totally different from the Butet. Her horse likes it too!!!!

I actually think the deep seat butet and the cliff Barnsby I rode in were pretty similar. But different models=different feel I guess :)

HuntrJumpr
May. 21, 2009, 12:32 AM
I have only ridden in one Toulouse model and two Barnsby models. Based on that limited experience, assuming both fit you and your horse equally well and were in identical condition, I'd get the Barnsby. Even if the Barnsby was a bit older and in maybe not as pristine condition I'd get that. Or I'd get neither. :) I did not like Toulouse I rode in - wide and deep, as some other have mentioned. And too much padding, and too big of a thigh block for my taste. But again - personal preference. As far as leather quality - the Barnsbys I rode in were a bit better than the Toulouse. The Bs were both older and very well cared for, while the Toulouse wasn't as broken in, which could have left a different impression.

French Twist
May. 21, 2009, 03:05 AM
I had Milton and hated it. It was so uncomfortable, I had the hardest time breaking it in, did not fit most of the horses I ride, plus it was terrible for my short legs. I would try the other saddle if I was you.

I am long from the hip to the knee and love it, so maybe it depends on what your body shape is like. I'd have to disagree on whether it fits different kinds of horses. I've ridden mine on many horses, WBs (both light and heavy built) to my quarter pony and it has fit them all well. I recently posted on a similar thread. You can see my posts about the saddle there... still haven't measured the tree for the OP on that thread. Oops!

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=203721

I got my first new Barnsby Milton in 2003, then bought a pretty beat up used one cheap in 2007 to use for pleasure/trail riding, but both are holding up well with proper care.

LARGEBORE
May. 21, 2009, 08:21 AM
Toulouse is definetely a saddle to stay away from. Friend of mine bought one because the leather looked cushy. oh wow what a mistake. Saddle fits like crap and the leather is starting to wear out....

JB
May. 21, 2009, 10:58 AM
Toulouse is definetely a saddle to stay away from. Friend of mine bought one because the leather looked cushy. oh wow what a mistake. Saddle fits like crap and the leather is starting to wear out....

Just because a saddle doesn't fit well doesn't mean it's a saddle to stay away from. LOTS of saddles fit my horses like crap, but are excellent saddles ;)

Now, leather is another story, which is why I asked which model the saddle was. Not all soft cushy double stratum leather is created equal.

LARGEBORE
May. 21, 2009, 06:47 PM
Sorry, by not fitting I meant that it rubbed the horses withers because the tree spread out. It was ok the first week or two, but then it started to have problems.