PDA

View Full Version : Black or white horse fencing?

dmalbone
May. 19, 2009, 08:15 PM
I assumed white was the easiest to see, but I've seen/heard/read a lot of people getting black because it stays the cleanest (or looks the cleanest at least). I guess I've never actually been at a barn with black fencing. Are there any problems with them seeing it? We'll be doing a 4 or 5" centaur board on the top with 4 or 5 strands of coated wire underneath. We're in Indiana so I'm not sure if moisture or mildew would be a problem on the vinyl. What do you have and why?

IsolaBella09
May. 19, 2009, 08:44 PM
I like black. It stays cleaner longer than white and in my opinion looks better. No problems with horses seeing it.

Go Fish
May. 19, 2009, 08:49 PM
Mine are dark brown...

Milocalwinnings
May. 19, 2009, 09:12 PM
I prefer the look of white fencing... but I haven't noticed a difference with being able to see white vs. black vs. brown fencing.

Flash44
May. 19, 2009, 09:16 PM
They both fade to gray, white just does it faster. I personally like black better, especially if you are using electric tape. The white electric tape looks like a clothesline gone beserk.

greysandbays
May. 19, 2009, 09:33 PM
White also has the drawback of visually chopping your place up. If you have a smallish property, you might not want to make it look even smaller by using a white fence.

A dark color (unless you live in the white sands area of NM) will let the eye reach and the mind will "think" the space is bigger and more open than it is.

And like somebody said about the "clothesline gone berzerk", on white, EVERY LITTLE deviation from "absoutely perfectly straight" will stick out like a dozen sore thumbs.

One 4" or 5" fencing, horses won't have any trouble seeing it either way unless their vision is defective, in which case the color won't matter anyway.

Miss-O
May. 19, 2009, 09:54 PM
Horseguard fencing talks about a farm that researched fence colors in England. Supposedly horses can see green and brown better then white. I'm assuming that if they can see brown better then white they should be able to see black better then white as well.

http://www.horseguardfence.com/shop_intus/cat20.php

I ended up going with a brown fence. I love the more natural look, the fact that it doesn't show every tiny little divot, and the fact that dirt doesn't really show up on it. However my fence is horseguard tape. I personally would be concerned about a vinyl type fence fading (don't know if centaur is fade resistant).

Good luck with your fence.

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
May. 19, 2009, 10:10 PM
We chose the brown based on that same suggestion from Horseguard-- that horses can see it the best. It does look nice. When we first put it up, quite a number of horse owners (and also a donkey owner) stopped to ask us what kind of fence it was, because it looked good.

Foxtrot's
May. 19, 2009, 10:27 PM
White fencing gets green scunge on it in the first year here. We have dark brown - if it is good enough for the race horse farms in Kentucky, it is good enough for us.

dmalbone
May. 19, 2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks! I'll definitely have to think about changing my mind. I've always liked the pure white look, but I guess I don't like scrubbing fences either! We do have small acreage that's TONS of road frontage. We'll be doing a flex board on the top with the white or black lightning below, so it's either white or black for us. I think I would like brown better though... a little less harsh than black.

Tamara in TN
May. 19, 2009, 11:12 PM
=dmalbone;4106084] What do you have and why?[

for me, black fence says a real farm and white fence says "subdivision" farm...
what can I say?? years of Kentucky Black have warped me...:lol:

best

dmalbone
May. 19, 2009, 11:19 PM
for me, black fence says a real farm and white fence says "subdivision" farm...
what can I say?? years of Kentucky Black have warped me...:lol:

best :lol: I can see that. I've just always been around plain 'ol wood. I guess I'm sheltered!

dmalbone
May. 19, 2009, 11:24 PM
Ooooo, I just saw there is brown "white lightning". I didn't know that!

Old Equine Lady
May. 19, 2009, 11:33 PM
I have the Centaur white and after a few years, it really faded and got pitted, like those cheap white plastic chairs. I do love the Centaur for ease and maintenance, but wish they had the darker colors when I installed it. Maybe we will try the brown stain for fencing on it, can't make it look any worse, right?

katarine
May. 19, 2009, 11:37 PM
black or dark brown.

WorthTheWait95
May. 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
Black :yes:
Love our four board black fence by Penrod!

dmalbone
May. 20, 2009, 12:01 AM
I have the Centaur white and after a few years, it really faded and got pitted, like those cheap white plastic chairs. I do love the Centaur for ease and maintenance, but wish they had the darker colors when I installed it. Maybe we will try the brown stain for fencing on it, can't make it look any worse, right?
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear a reason to avoid the white.

theoldgreymare
May. 20, 2009, 12:26 AM
Our wood board perimeter fencing is dark brown stain and we also have the lovely Horse Guard dark brown tape for pastures. We have had zero problems with visibility, regardless of season and surroundings. I know many farms that paint their wood fencing black or dark brown because it needs to be repainted less often than white. I would imagine they have no problem with visibility either. If you prefer the black Centaur, go for it!

PNWjumper
May. 20, 2009, 02:08 AM
We have about 1500' of white 4-board fencing around our property.

DH begs me to let him paint it black or dark brown every day.

Considering how terrible about half of the fence looks right now, I'm thinking that I'm going to relent and go dark. MUCH easier to maintain!

equusus
May. 20, 2009, 08:56 AM
Black!
White fences belong around cemeteries.

deltawave
May. 20, 2009, 11:05 AM
I think it's (obviously) really a matter of one's personal aesthetic preferences.

IMO white and black and even brown look very, very nice if the fence is neat and straight and well-kept. :yes: Any color looks like hell if the fence is sloppy, crooked or poorly built.

My own personal feeling is that big, thick white planks can make small paddocks look busy and cluttered, but miles of white fencing look gorgeous. :)

I have white Electrobraid, and zero problems with visibility, even when the world is covered with snow. :)

Elmstead
May. 20, 2009, 03:43 PM
BLACK! (especially for a smallish farm)

I really love black fencing though, even on huge farms. Those KY farms are gorgeous with the miles of black fencing. It is less obtrusive to the view, easier to keep looking clean, and I heard that horses see it better (not sure if this is accurate).

Ours is black pipe...the Texas version of horse fencing. When we bought the place it had aging white fiberglass "pipe" fencing. It was horrible! If you rubbed against it you would have tiny pieces of fiberglass embedded in your skin for weeks. We got rid of that stuff pronto. I also didn't like the white ;-)

dmalbone
May. 20, 2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks! We've decided.... BLACK IT IS!!! We don't have much acreage to begin with, and we're going to have to divide that into a few separate pastures to separate the minis from the big guy and then an arena, etc. so I think the white would break it up too much.

WorthTheWait95
May. 20, 2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks! We've decided.... BLACK IT IS!!! We don't have much acreage to begin with, and we're going to have to divide that into a few separate pastures to separate the minis from the big guy and then an arena, etc. so I think the white would break it up too much.

Good choice. Here (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2873244040104753144pbZGhD?vhost=pets) is a shot of some of the fencing at my barn. You can see the two little paddocks behind the pasture I'm standing in. I think it looks really nice.

dmalbone
May. 20, 2009, 04:53 PM
Good choice. Here (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2873244040104753144pbZGhD?vhost=pets) is a shot of some of the fencing at my barn. You can see the two little paddocks behind the pasture I'm standing in. I think it looks really nice.
looks fantastic!

Romany
May. 21, 2009, 03:25 PM
Black.....because then you can use driveway paint, which (I think) is much cheaper, and lasts much longer, than most exterior paints....

Instead of a brush, use a woolly car-polishing mitt...or two...or three. Worn over heavy duty rubber gloves. :yes:

The mitt is less drippy than a brush, and WAY quicker.

dmalbone
May. 21, 2009, 03:46 PM
Black.....because then you can use driveway paint, which (I think) is much cheaper, and lasts much longer, than most exterior paints....

Instead of a brush, use a woolly car-polishing mitt...or two...or three. Worn over heavy duty rubber gloves. :yes:

Thanks for the tips!!

2DogsFarm
May. 21, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hey Fellow Hoosier!
Where in IN are you building?

I have the 4" Centaur top rail & 3 strands of coated tensile wire beneath - the top one can carry a charge (so far I haven't attached a charger).

I chose white and it has not discolored in the 5 years it's been up and has withstood my horses sticking their heads through wires #2 & 3 for the "greener" grass outside the fenceline < makes it look like I keep it mowed for a whole 2' outside the fencing...I don't :D

It is a good clean look IMHO, the top rail is really the only visible barrier from the road so the "clothesline effect" someone else mentioned does not apply.

I have not even had to retension the wires yet. There is one line that could maybe use it, but the amount of sagging is negligible, can't be seen unless I look for it.

If I had to redo fencing I think I'd try the electrobraid as that seems more easy for DIY than the coated tensile.

shakeytails
May. 21, 2009, 05:24 PM

Driveway sealer? I've used it and it works well. One caveat- don't wear shorts!!!! That stuff burns- at first I thought I was being eaten alive by some sort of invisible bugs. Then the light bulb came on and I realized I'd splattered the stuff on my legs- and that was what was making me itch like crazy.

dmalbone
May. 21, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hey Fellow Hoosier!
Where in IN are you building?

I have the 4" Centaur top rail & 3 strands of coated tensile wire beneath - the top one can carry a charge (so far I haven't attached a charger).

I chose white and it has not discolored in the 5 years it's been up and has withstood my horses sticking their heads through wires #2 & 3 for the "greener" grass outside the fenceline < makes it look like I keep it mowed for a whole 2' outside the fencing...I don't :D

It is a good clean look IMHO, the top rail is really the only visible barrier from the road so the "clothesline effect" someone else mentioned does not apply.

I have not even had to retension the wires yet. There is one line that could maybe use it, but the amount of sagging is negligible, can't be seen unless I look for it.

If I had to redo fencing I think I'd try the electrobraid as that seems more easy for DIY than the coated tensile.

Hey there! I'm from Crawfordsville, IN. I used to live just west of Indianapolis, but moved out here to buy 4 1/2 acres so we could keep our horses at home. What part are you from? I looked at the electrobraid, but it doesn't seem safe to me, but that's just MY personal opinion! It's more flexible and has more wrapping around legs and slicing horror stories that I've heard. I want something that's strong enough and substantial enough that even if the power goes out or it's not hot for some reason that it will still hold them in.