PDA

View Full Version : Test Questions for Medals

clancypants
May. 19, 2009, 03:16 PM
What questions do judges ask during a medal test? If you wanted to study for possible questions, where would you start?

RugBug
May. 19, 2009, 03:39 PM
I'm a little confused by your post. I can't quite tell if you are serious or are joking.

Serious answer:

Tests are in the rule book, numbered 1-19. You don't study, you practice.

I've got no joking answer for you today. My sense of humor has run away at the moment. :winkgrin:

clancypants
May. 19, 2009, 03:52 PM
I know that Judges sometimes ask oral questions of the riders during a test - what bit do you have, parts of the saddle, etc, just wondering what questions you've all been asked.

zahena
May. 19, 2009, 03:52 PM
I think what she's referring to is that the judge can ask you questions instead of offering you a riding test or might even use that in place of a riding test. Things like "what sort of bit is your horse using" or tacking questions. They can also ask you general horsemanship questions as well.

My suggetion, if you think this is likely to happen, is get the books the Pony Club has to offer and study those. Medal is looking for a well-rounded rider, both on and off the horse.

Hunter Mom
May. 19, 2009, 04:01 PM
Here are some I've heard as an announcer or as a rider:

-How could you describe your horse using correct terms (stocking vs. sock, etc.)?
-What is a normal temp and resting heart rate for a healthy horse?
-Name 3 kinds of martingales.
-What are vaccines in the 5-way vaccine?
-What does a coggins test for?
-Give ___ symptoms a horse might show if colicing.
-How many strides would there be in a ____ foot line (or how many feet in a ___ stride line). {As a math person, I love watching their faces while they do this one!}
-How many strides should there have been between fences ___ and ___. (Especially after they've all blown this).
-What is the order of footfalls in a left canter.
- What is the correct name of each kind of fence (Swedish oxer, liverpool, vertical, etc.)

Basically, it is all fair game. Horse health, care, tack, courses. You name it.

A hint - if you don't know, at least hazard a guess.

MHM
May. 19, 2009, 04:15 PM
There's a horrible, horrible story that a judge asked a rider: "How would you know if your horse had colic?" The reply: "I'd get a bill from the vet." :rolleyes:

A friend of mine was judging a leadline class, and he asked each kid: "What color is your pony?" One little boy said, "My pony is bay." My friend said, "Well, actually, your pony is chestnut." The little boy said, "No, MY pony is bay. This chestnut pony isn't mine, I just borrowed him for this class." :lol:

norcalammie
May. 19, 2009, 04:20 PM
I was once asked to name the parts of the leg starting at the shoulder going to the ground. Was a very hot day and I think the judge felt sorry for us in coats so kept things fairly simple.

Love the boy's answer to what color is your pony!

clancypants
May. 19, 2009, 04:21 PM
MHM - thanks for the laugh! And Hunter Mom, yes - that's what i had in mind. Just wondering what comes up.

FarnleyGarnet
May. 19, 2009, 04:51 PM
Hunter Mom gave a few great examples.

Not exactly the same as a medal, but in IHSA I have been asked to describe how I would execute one of the other tests from the rulebook instead of physically doing it. If you get a question like that be prepared to describe the process step by step while remaining concise.

I had to explain how I would go about switching horses with another rider. It's easy enough to just hop off and switch, but to describe how to properly dismount, lead horses to one another, adjust stirrups and remount was a new experience.

Nickelodian
May. 19, 2009, 05:19 PM
I've heard or had to answer the following:

- What is the proper name for the buckle connecting your two reins? (bite)
- What is the proper name for the strap around your horse's nose? (caveson noseband)
- What is the difference in action between a full cheek and a d ring bit? (Leverage)
- How many meters is 3'3? (1)

IsolaBella09
May. 19, 2009, 05:45 PM
Kip Rosenthal has done two great articles in the April and May issues of this year. She explains the tests she asks and what she looks for when she judges. Great reading material! :D

horsestablereview
May. 19, 2009, 05:53 PM
In a handy hunter class, I was asked: "Name three kinds of fences not allowed on a hunter course." I answered: Swedish Oxer, Liverpool, and Triple Bar.

In another handy hunter class, there was a halt after a fence but it was printed in like Arial size 6 font at the very end of the drawn arena. Naturally being brave, I went first and missed the halt. When I went up to the judge, he very nastily told me my question was: "What did you forget to do on course?" Dumbfounded (obviously I didn't know that I had missed the halt, otherwise I would have DONE IT), I kind of just stared and said I'm not quite sure. He then informed me in a very not nice abrupt tone that I had missed the halt and told me to leave. Seriously? At a C show? Cranky much?! haha

My favorite is when the people at the back gate ask you what the judge asked when you come out. Like I'm going to share with my competition so they can have more time to think about the answer! sheesh! haha

pinkpolkadot491
May. 19, 2009, 07:14 PM
At Zone 3 Tad Coffin Equitation Finals last year, there were two questions:
1. What bit does your horse have in its mouth and why?
2. Do you have a boyfriend? If so, what's his name?

These questions were announced over the loud speaker and everyone laughed!!

Vandy
May. 19, 2009, 08:59 PM
Judge at the show at my farm recently asked how many bones a horse has in the lower leg. Watched the kids mentally count, lips moving, and give totally wrong answers.

I've also heard a judge ask for:
- a horses's resting respiration rate as well as pulse/temp.
- mph for walk, trot, canter
- various body parts
- where the finals for the qualifying class were held and what was the qualifying process

lintesia
May. 19, 2009, 09:32 PM
Here's my experience:

I was in a class line-up waiting my turn to go to the judge and be asked "The Question." Running frantically through my head were the numbers for Temp/Pulse/Resp. Also, the bit I'm using and why. Other similar things.

My turn. I nervously ride up to the judge. The question: What is a farrier? I was dumbfounded. I replied it was the person I gave lots of money to. (I did cover my bases and explain it was the horseshoer...) I was pretty disappointed and thought it was a really pathetic question.

Vandy
May. 20, 2009, 03:51 PM
Wanted to add a funny story:

I asked a student who is a little bit of a hunter princess to name 3 kinds of martingales...Her answer: "Edgewood, Beval's and the cheap ones from State Line" :lol:

Peggy
May. 20, 2009, 04:16 PM
Another funny story.

Judge asked "what would you bring me if I asked for a Dr. Bristol?"

One kid answered "a drink."

dab
May. 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
- mph for walk, trot, canterI still don't get why this is taught or asked -- My horse doesn't have a speedometer -- If I'm riding a hunter pace, I may know what the organizer claims the length of the course is, but it would be difficult to guestimate how many miles would be covered in each gait -- What can I do with this information? -- Should I push a short strided horse's pace so that he walks 4 mph, making him rush? -- I'm sure that walk would be marked down in an u/s class -- How accurate are these estimates? Does the 'ideal' hunter with the easy 12' stride really walk 4 mph or 4.2?

Teach/test the order of footfalls or even BPM, but why MPH?

Hunter Mom
May. 20, 2009, 05:10 PM
I still don't get why this is taught or asked -- My horse doesn't have a speedometer -- If I'm riding a hunter pace, I may know what the organizer claims the length of the course is, but it would be difficult to guestimate how many miles would be covered in each gait -- What can I do with this information? -- Should I push a short strided horse's pace so that he walks 4 mph, making him rush? -- I'm sure that walk would be marked down in an u/s class -- How accurate are these estimates? Does the 'ideal' hunter with the easy 12' stride really walk 4 mph or 4.2?

On my mare lately, I'd have to ask if they wanted the MPH at the beginning of a course or the end as they've become radically different! :lol:

clancypants
May. 20, 2009, 08:05 PM
I love the funny stories! Bonus material. Thanks.

Vandy
May. 20, 2009, 08:10 PM
I still don't get why this is taught or asked --

Actually, even though I brought it up, I don't really get it either...However, I've seen it asked in a medal class and at a clinic, so I make sure my students are familiar w the concept ;)