PDA

View Full Version : quarter bell boots

skyy
May. 19, 2009, 09:38 AM
We have a horse in the barn who constantly pulls his shoes off even though he goes out in double bell boots. BO thinks that quarter boots will solve the problem. I've never seen them used but thought that they were just supposed to protect the heel bulbs not cover the shoes. Even if they do cover the shoes, how are they any different than regular bell boots? Comments please!

SmartAlex
May. 19, 2009, 09:48 AM
From Saddlebredland.... no, they won't stop a horse from pulling off a shoe.

Unless there are cheap quarter boots I'm not aware of (and there very well may be) most are made of leather, and are therefore very pricey and not something you would want to turn a horse out in.

And, unless your horse has quite a high natural heel, you would probably have a hard time keeping them on him. They aren't designed for turnout, and have to be quite snug.

Unless we are talking about completely different quarter boots, I don't think they would solve your problem.

Moocow
May. 19, 2009, 02:29 PM
If you're talking quarter boots like this:
http://greenhawk.net/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-BOB2344.html?L+scstore+cpql8123ff2f152f+1242769225
Then no I don't think they're going to keep a horse from taking shoes off. We were using them on one of our mares who was rubbing from regular bell boots so we wanted something snugger. More than anything what it did was collect all the arena dirt and irritate her skin. So we don't use them any more. ;)
I agree they're not likely to stay on for turn-out. They'll probably slip upwards if left for that long.
Are the bell boots the horse is wearing perhaps a touch too small and they're not covering properly? (Though I feel like your BO would have noticed that). Some horses just lose shoes no matter what, though. I've had horses lose three shoes in one week even with bell boots. Hahaha - not cool!

skyy
May. 19, 2009, 02:54 PM
Moocow-
They are very similar to the ones on that site. They might actually be a little shorter. The boots he wears now fit well. We actually double boot him (correct size then a larger size on top) in an effort to give him layers to go through before getting to the shoe. In the mud I understand how he grabs his shoes because he steps down into the mud and the mud pushes the boot up exposing the shoe. However, he's now on grass and is still pulling shoes. He is relatively new to our barn and his owner says that keeping shoes on him has always been a problem. To add insult to injury, when he gets a bell boot off you will then see him playing with it! He picks it up in his teeth and throws it around.

gasrgoose
May. 19, 2009, 03:38 PM
Are you using bell boots that velcro closed? We have a horse that kept pulling shoes and put bell boots on him and it has solved the problem. But we don't use the velcro because they can be pulled off to easily. I buy the cheapest I can find becuase he destroys them anyway. Some of the web sites will have them on clearance occasionally.

norcalammie
May. 19, 2009, 04:25 PM
Had to quit turning mine out in any front boots as he would tear them off and toss them around as play toys. I always worried the he would pull the bell boot up and wreck havor on a tendon or something. So no front boots or wraps in turn out.

He also had a history of pulling shoes in turn out, to keep his shoes on the farrier added clips to the show and since then has not pulled a shoe. (Knock on wood!)

SmartAlex
May. 19, 2009, 04:41 PM
Those won't invert, and they will be on snugly... as in "hot water and pull like heck" snug. You will still run the risk of mud pushing them up or if he does not have naturally high heels, having them slip down and off.

Sacred_Petra
May. 19, 2009, 04:51 PM
What kind of bell boots are you using? I'm just brainstorming here, but have you tried using the no turn bell boots underneath the petal bell boots (http://breechesusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4976). He shouldn't be able to get those off, and the petals should allow for the odd shape of the no-turns. Also, I seccond the clips on the shoes. My horse is barefoot now, but thinking back I believe my horse had clips on his shoes, and we use them on the drafts I drive when they wear tires. The drafts might lose a tire if they step on themselves funny, but their shoes stay on well.

IsolaBella09
May. 19, 2009, 05:47 PM
The quarter boots do not go under the heel and protect the shoes, so he can still pull a shoe with them on. I use these on my horse and my trainer uses them on her mare for the show ring. They're lightweight and elastic, and they have pretty good grip when placed properly.

Maya01
May. 19, 2009, 05:50 PM
If you still have problems after having bell boots on, maybe your horse has a nutrient deficiency and therefore has weaker hooves or you need to consult a new farrier as it may be simply the way the foot of your horse is constructed or how the shoe it put on...Hot shoeing might be a good option too.

gasrgoose
May. 20, 2009, 08:11 AM
If your horse is pulling off bell boots or wraps buy some McNasty and spray them before you turn him out. It trained our guy not to pull off wraps at a show in two weekends. Be careful not to spray it around a fan or in the wind, you will feel like you have been pepper sprayed.:eek: It didn't take a quarter of the bottle before he decided that he would never put his mouth on them again.

skyy
May. 20, 2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks everyone for your input and for confirming my thoughts on the quarter boots. Bit of Britain tack shop does have some on their website that look kind of interesting. They are called Grab Boots. I haven't seen them before. The picture shows that the back of the boot fits into the foot around the shoe (you'd have to see the pic for it to make sense). In the meantime:

1) His shoes have clips.
2)He does have crappy feet and is on a hoof supplement.
3) Bell boots are pull on not velcro and are the no turn kind.
4) Farrier sets shoes forward to eliminate as much "hanging out" behind as possible.
5) Horse gets his feet done every 4 weeks or so to keep his back toes short(ish) to help control the grabbing of the front feet.

Keep the suggestions coming!!

tBHj
May. 20, 2009, 10:34 AM
Have you tried the Thinline bellboots with the sheepskin around the top? Make sure they are a big enough size to touch the ground on the back. I find they don't move at all and if they fit so they hang down and cover the whole foot in the back then they seem to work.