PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: Do the cool kids not wear custom chaps anymore?

Pirateer
May. 18, 2009, 07:58 PM
I heard this on another thread, say it ain't so!

Or maybe just not at shows?

Extreme Chaos
May. 18, 2009, 08:05 PM
It appears half chaps are in vogue nowadays and there's a wide selection of "off the rack" sizes and styles.
Why buy custom, when you have a large selection to choose from?

Pirateer
May. 18, 2009, 08:09 PM
It appears half chaps are in vogue nowadays and there's a wide selection of "off the rack" sizes and styles.
Why buy custom, when you have a large selection to choose from?

Because a Hunter Princess ALWAYS goes custom when given the choice ;)

clompclomp
May. 18, 2009, 08:12 PM
Everyone at my current barn wears half chaps, I haven't seen full chaps in ages (except on the lone male rider)...

Pirateer
May. 18, 2009, 08:15 PM
Is this because of all the fun colored schooling breeches?
Advent of 1/2 chaps?
Frenchypoo saddles that won't stand up to jeans?

(Guess I can empty out my "Save for Chuck Pinnell" piggy bank...)

Nickelodian
May. 18, 2009, 08:16 PM
I am one of the lone souls left riding in full chaps. In fact I now have a pair of half chaps to wear at shows so I don't embarrass myself off the show grounds. ;)

I still love my Journeyman's especially in the winter...

I remember the days that custom full chaps where the THING du jor, and all of the cool kids had them. That was probably 6 - 10 years ago. Gosh I feel old.

HunterJumper106
May. 18, 2009, 08:18 PM
I have a pair of custom full chaps and custom half chaps--there isn't anything better! I don't wear the full chaps very often because it is too hot down here but they are nice in the winter! I have tried the not custom half chaps and they just don't fit the same--plus they aren't as cute!

twobays
May. 18, 2009, 08:24 PM
I don't know anyone around here who rides in full chaps. I remember I always used to want to order a pair of custom full chaps but never got around to it. Probably not the best idea...they're not particularly flattering.

Extreme Chaos
May. 18, 2009, 08:25 PM
Is this because of all the fun colored schooling breeches?
Advent of 1/2 chaps?
Frenchypoo saddles that won't stand up to jeans?

Up until a year ago, I always wore full custom chaps.
I bought a pair of half chaps for the summer and never went back to the full chaps.
Half chaps are comfy and less binding, they also make the transition to show boots a lot easier.:D

meupatdoes
May. 18, 2009, 08:25 PM
I cling tenaciously to my custom full chaps.
When I was a junior EVERYONE wore them.

Now I feel it is relegated some of the old school barns in Westchester, NY.
When I was at Old Salem in the early 2000's, for example no one wore half chaps; everyone wore boots and breeches or full chaps. Other places though were starting to go for half chaps.

I don't see anyone with them in NJ, to the point that I honestly can't remember seeing anyone else with them on, but I am more than happy to carry the torch and hold it high.
(Though, now that my horses live at a dressage barn I will wear full seats and non-custom black half chaps for lessons. On school or trail days it is full chaps regardless of what saddle I'm in.)

To me a blinged out set of full chaps with a tucked in men's shirt and a belt is as dressed up as tall boots. And yes, I would fit into those SWEET @SS GAWGEOUS chaps on the other thread and am considering it (one of my names even starts with H!) even though I already have two pairs. We'll see how the bidding goeth.

dags
May. 18, 2009, 08:41 PM
I am one of the lone souls left riding in full chaps. In fact I now have a pair of half chaps to wear at shows so I don't embarrass myself off the show grounds. ;)

I remember the days that custom full chaps where the THING du jor, and all of the cool kids had them. That was probably 6 - 10 years ago. Gosh I feel old.

Eeks is right, try 10-15 years, at least. My beloved pair of journeymans- navy, mustard piping, burgundy fringe, hunter green lizard skin belt and piping, monogrammed initials - have a special space on my SHELF. I borrowed a pair of half chaps in 2001 and never went back. SO much easier to move your leg back and kick that greenie's butt back into place behind him.

But I will never, ever get rid of my full chaps. Not only do they make for a great impromptu halloween costume :D but oh how I yearned for those things as a startstruck child! They were absolutely THE thing!

RockinHorse
May. 18, 2009, 08:47 PM
I still love full chaps and ride in them almost everyday, even in the summer. I have tried half chaps numerous times but I just don't like them as much.

make x it x so
May. 18, 2009, 08:48 PM
I used to own a pair of full chaps when i was younger (I'm 18 now...I mean young like 12-13ish). I always found it to be a difficult transition between chaps and boots because the chaps are so much grippier than breeches and without them, my leg would get loose. When I outgrew them, I just never bought a new pair...

I LOVE my half chaps, however, and have fairly recently switched to the leather instead of suede. I think they provide a really nice "tall boot" kind of feel so that the transition comes fairly naturally between shows and schooling at home.

heartinrye
May. 18, 2009, 08:55 PM
Just got my custom Pinell's, half-chaps that is! I love love love them- waiting till Wednesday (my b-day!) to ride in them!!!

Vandy
May. 18, 2009, 09:17 PM
I had a new (adult re-rider) student show up the other day in *gorgeous* custom full chaps...that she'd had as a teenager 20 years ago :lol: It was the first time I'd seen them in a long time, and I remembered how much I loved them. I still have mine, but haven't put them on in ages - for me, half chaps are just easier and less restrictive.

dogchushu
May. 18, 2009, 09:20 PM
If it's a cold day and the mare is feeling frisky? Forget being one of the cool kids! I'm grabbing my chaps and praying for every bit of stickiness they give me! :lol:

iridehorses
May. 18, 2009, 09:29 PM
since i am a junior, when we moved up, my trainer preferred half chapls so that we have to grip more. now its half chaps all the way, and i love the schooling breeches!!!
there are some pros with fulls, but i rarely see juniors with them

Gray Horse H/J
May. 18, 2009, 09:44 PM
I still have my full customs - brown with fringe, with navy and hunter piping and my name on the back. I haven't worn them in eons, it seems! I love them though, and will never get rid of them, though right now they're in the bottom of my tack trunk and probably kind of dirty.

I remember the first time I ever rode in half chaps. The zipper on my customs had broken as I was getting ready to school my horse the morning of a show. I borrowed someone's half chaps...and HATED them. Although I did end up buying a pair while my chaps were being fixed because I was too lazy to dress in breeches and tall boots every day. Took me a while to really like the feel of them, but now that's all I ride in. A couple of years ago I rode in my chaps for the heck of it and felt like I couldn't bend my knee!

Trixie
May. 18, 2009, 09:46 PM
I've got my full chaps... but count me in as another half chap wearer, unless it's cold out.

Not only do they make for a great impromptu halloween costume

I was a cowgirl last year for halloween. Minimal prep!

EAY
May. 18, 2009, 10:15 PM
I still love my 30-year-old custom full chaps, but they're sitting at the bottom of trunk. I still use them occasionally if I'm at the barns in jeans and need to ride, but I've found breeches and half-chaps to be more comfortable. Plus I'm really not supposed to ride in jeans in my wimpy French saddle. Now I just need to get myself some custom half-chaps.

RumoursFollow
May. 18, 2009, 10:30 PM
I've lost 120lbs since I wore the Journeymans that are in my storage thing last, so they uh.. dont quite fit me anymore. ;) They were really cool to have when I was a young teenager, and I remember a short time when I swore I wouldnt wear those "ugly half chaps!" I love them now though.

cutemudhorse
May. 18, 2009, 10:38 PM
You guys might not appreciate this. . . since I'm from a different background, mostly dressage with some jumping and hacking. . . and this is very casual riding at home. . . but down here where it's very warm and humid I have taken to wearing bicycle shorts under full chaps. Sadly for me I would still love to have a pair of customs, but my chaps fit me very well for being off the shelf. :winkgrin::o

The pain w/half chaps is the ones that fit me better have the d---- zippers starting at the bottom!! I'll ride in either full or halfs in the winter, over breeches.

mvp
May. 18, 2009, 10:42 PM
In the 1990s NorCal you could get the most beautiful chaps ever made for not too much by some hermit chick in Oregon.

I finally got a pair and then traded them for a saddle. Good deal $$-wise but I'm now living with regret.

Half chaps, like boots and breeches do most people no aesthetic favors.

I'll wear the pair(s!) I have forever. I like the holes I have worn in one.

But if I could get a beautiful pair of customs half chaps, I'd consider them.

Due to my upbringing, off-the-rack just doesn't to do it for me.

Like another poster said, beautiful chaps, shined paddock boots and a fabulous belt ARE "dressed up."

sansibar
May. 18, 2009, 10:43 PM
I had a pair when I was like 10, and since I turned 11 they have been hanging up behind a door, because I bought half chaps and tall boots. ;)

TBDressage916
May. 18, 2009, 10:50 PM
I've totally gone DQ as I've gotten older but I will never give up hacking in shorts and full chaps when the weather is hot!

justathought
May. 18, 2009, 11:14 PM
Full chaps are not as popular - but in the winter its a lot better option than breeches and half chaps - still use mine in the winter

billiebob
May. 18, 2009, 11:29 PM
I have both half chaps and full chaps. I wear running pants under my full chaps (which are SO not custom, I got them at Petsmart when they had Stateline Tack in their stores. They were mismarked price-wise and I "forgot" to mention it to the cashier). I love the full chaps even though they make it kind of hard to mount properly!

Nickelodian
May. 19, 2009, 12:01 AM
mmm now I want a pair of custom half chaps. Yes another thing to spend $$ on that I don't need!

Go Fish
May. 19, 2009, 12:06 AM
It's sure a lot easier to use the outhouse/bathroom in half-chaps! :lol:

PNWjumper
May. 19, 2009, 12:10 AM
As soon as EVERYONE has converted over to half chaps (and I'd say it's pretty close now), full chaps will come back into fashion. That's the law of fashion, equestrian or otherwise. It's just that when chaps become popular again there will be some little "tweak" that will make older chaps obviously dated and require that you get new chaps to look truly fashionable. :winkgrin:

Simbalism
May. 19, 2009, 04:55 AM
I still have my custom full chaps hanging in my trailer dressing room. I got a pair of custom half chaps and had relegated the full chaps to trail riding. However, I like the fact that the1/2 chaps are so much cooler in the summer that I now always ride with breeches and 1/2 chaps. I also like the fact that it is much easier to transition back to tall boots for shows/clinics.

bumknees
May. 19, 2009, 06:51 AM
I still wear my full( non custom) chaps. I have tried several times wearing half chaps and dont know why but they just dont feel comfortable..

So Im out of fashion im comfortable even in summer hot and humid. Id rather be comfortable than in fashion.

je.suis
May. 19, 2009, 08:43 AM
Wow! I was discussing the days of "full chaps" recently. I miss them and hope they become stylish again. Never was a fan of 1/2 chaps as a traditionalist. Back in the day, a decent pair of fulls would set you back $800-$900 and don't forget the custom embroidered belt with monogram. Yes, I still have mine. No, nothing fits !

mrsbradbury
May. 19, 2009, 09:45 AM
I held onto my custom fulls when I moved to Cali, when the 1/2 chap transition was taking over. I clung to those bone smooth leather, black piped, cowhided yoke w/fringe with a death grip.

I wore them every morning at the shows with a fancy belt and white RL oxford, and the sun bleached velvet cap. with hunter princess hair~~~ AHHHH ~ remember then.

Then I moved to Florida, bought a pair of 1/2 chaps. I only break out my fulls when it's 10 degrees here in Ohio, and I have my long johns on.

Love 'em tho.

nycrider2004
May. 19, 2009, 09:47 AM
It's so funny b/c I actually just ordered and have now received new full customs from journeymen after having my previous customs for over 20+ years ....I talked to chuck pinnell when contemplating where to order from and we had a long conversation about how no one is ordering full chaps any more.

I bought them because I am a die hard fan of full chaps. I do own half chaps and will use them occasionally mostly because I carry my stuff from the city when riding at different farms (they're lighter which matters when you're bolting to make a commuter train!) but I find them dreadfully uncomfortable.

I believe I might be one of the only people who has the full chaps in quite a few of the barns where I ride but by no means do I feel awkward wearing them at home or at shows....So I say, it may not be what folks do but it's not anything where people are going to look at you crazy so if you like 'em....get 'em!

monalisa
May. 19, 2009, 10:05 AM
I still wear my Journeyman's, all winter long, since they are warmer. I have a newer pair of custom Pinell's half-chaps but I save them for the warmer weather. Obviously, I am not "cool" and am not young either. But I will probably never give up my Journeyman's full chaps, regardless of whether they are in style or not.

GreyHunterHorse
May. 19, 2009, 10:42 AM
Love my customs I got when I was 17 so much that I have had them let out and taken in over the last 12 years (:eek: ack i am getting old! :lol:) to accommodate my weight. Happy to say that I am almost back to that size again :winkgrin: BUT, I recently found a pair of semi custom tall boots for a ridiculously good price and even tho they are so comfy, I still don't and won't switch to half chaps. Despite the fact that EVERY YEAR at Devon, I go to Pinnell's a covet his half chaps every single day I am there!!!!! :lol:

Linny
May. 19, 2009, 10:53 AM
If I could still fit in mine from 20 years ago I'd still be wearing them. I sold them and got 1/2 chaps when I got back into riding. If I can lose 20lbs I might reward myseld with a new pair.

meupatdoes
May. 19, 2009, 11:02 AM
I wore them every morning at the shows with a fancy belt and white RL oxford, and the sun bleached velvet cap. with hunter princess hair~~~ AHHHH ~ remember then.

:yes::yes::yes:

dorytuo
May. 19, 2009, 11:28 AM
pretty much everyone at my barn wears half chaps. There is one trainer who is good friends with a custom chaps lady so all her people wear the fancy custom half chaps. Unfortunately I went to visit this lady and now I am the proud, broke owner of 3 pairs myself. But they are fantastic!

Giddy-up
May. 19, 2009, 11:56 AM

oh Chuck makes custom 1/2 chaps. Don't despair! I got mine from him. :yes::D I have plain black boring, but I have seen some really cool fun ones he's done (piping, lizard skin, etc...).

I too was a die hard custom full chap wearing gal. Then I tried somebody's 1/2 chaps once. That led to my Pinnell customs since none off the rack wanted to fit. And once they arrived--I have never worn the full chaps again even though I really really thought I would.

caradino
May. 19, 2009, 11:56 AM
while i am (sadly) not the owner of any beautiful full chaps, HOW IN THE WORLD do you people wear SHORTS underneath?! I have a pair of off-the-rack suede chaps, and the thought of the sweating, chafing, and overal discomfort of wearing SHORTS under them just appalls me.

Giddy-up
May. 19, 2009, 12:02 PM
while i am (sadly) not the owner of any beautiful full chaps, HOW IN THE WORLD do you people wear SHORTS underneath?! I have a pair of off-the-rack suede chaps, and the thought of the sweating, chafing, and overal discomfort of wearing SHORTS under them just appalls me.

I used to wear shorts with my fulls all summer. Not short shorts! I'd take a pair of barn jeans, cut above the knee & there you go. Sometimes I'd get a zipper mark or perhaps a skin burn if there was a wrinkle in the chap, but for the most part I was fine.

I will also say that FULL chaps make you keep your size. Those 1/2 chaps don't do anything for me diet wise cause it's not like my calf is where I add all the pounds. :(:no:

theoldgreymare
May. 19, 2009, 12:22 PM
I still have my last pair of custom full chaps, made about 30 years ago and only used a few times as then trainer really got into everyone riding in breeches and boots daily. I just handed them down to my oldest who rides all winter in full chaps. God I love them.....beautiful full grain, caramel color with chocolate trim, belt and fringe. If they still fit my fat, old arse I'd be riding in them myself!

ETA: Does anyone remember the needlepointed monograms that used to be inserted into the belt? And you could get a matching needlepointed dog collar? Wish I knew if anyone did those anymore, would love to have a dog collar for the DD's beastly JRT.

Nickelodian
May. 19, 2009, 01:40 PM
ETA: Does anyone remember the needlepointed monograms that used to be inserted into the belt? And you could get a matching needlepointed dog collar? Wish I knew if anyone did those anymore, would love to have a dog collar for the DD's beastly JRT.

You mean like this?

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7df04b3127ccec067153a79e000000010O08QcNmzJsxaA9 vPhQ/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

You can get a needlepoint dog collar made by anyone who makes needlepoint belts. If you can needlepoint yourself, just do the length of the collar minus an inch. Any needlepoint store would be able to help you.

imapepper
May. 19, 2009, 02:09 PM

Ahh yes, the good old days ;) I have a pair of custom full chaps (bought about 6 years ago) that I wear all winter and go to boots and breeches in the summer. I do need to buy a pair of half chaps this year so I don't kill my new boots :)

Pirateer
May. 19, 2009, 02:15 PM
Oh good.
I'm glad to see that people DO still wear them.
Hopefully by the time I finish saving for mine (black smooth out, fringe, pink and zebra trim, zebra yoke...) they will be "cool" again.

(and Yes, I'd get them regardless. Just was shocked to see that people thought they were "Out" of style)

Sparky Boy
May. 19, 2009, 02:37 PM
I still wear my journeyman full chaps now and then. Though about 2 yrs ago I bought some half chaps and wear them much more often. I'll never give up the full chaps. They're my weight gauge. ;)

I'm not young or cool either ;)

Anyplace Farm
May. 19, 2009, 03:23 PM
I have a pair of Journeyman customs and a pair of Pinnell's. I wear the Pinnell's. I think the reason why I like them is because they keep me clean. I get the whole 1/2 chaps thing but I like to be able to go places after the barn and not look like I've been rolling around in the dirt.

Lately, I've been considering getting a pair of 1/2 chaps but then that means I'd have to get riding tights because I don't like the look of jeans and 1/2 chaps. And then, after being at the barn, what -- am I going to go around w/the 1/2 chaps on at Harris Teeter? Such a goofy look. And goofier is the socks, tights, shoes/clogs/whatever footwear look. At least when I take my full chaps off, I meld seamlessly back into society.

Sad how my brain works, I think...:lol:

KnKShowmom
May. 19, 2009, 03:48 PM
About the same time I started to end my riding career, DD started hers and gradually took over everything I had, saddle, trunk, clothes, equipment...

But NOT my Journeyman chaps - smooth black with grey fringe and piping - and I still can wear them after 25 years (with my non ASTM approved faded black velvet hat) whenever I get to ride!

magnolia73
May. 19, 2009, 03:54 PM
I am the uncool old lady. I love my full custom chaps. But if it is hot out, half chaps all the way.

No one else at the barn seems to have full chaps. I did see mildewed pair in the feed room.

TheHunterKid90
May. 19, 2009, 06:20 PM
I remember when full chaps were THE thing!
Everyone in my barn had a pair! And we were lucky enough to have one of our boarders that made us all of our custom full chaps! :yes:
Now I saw someone schooling a horse in them at a show last weekend and I was like gosh she looks funny! :lol:

Silk
May. 19, 2009, 08:01 PM

Yup...and around here, they had to be made by "Randy".

bascher
May. 19, 2009, 08:05 PM
I have a pair of custom half chaps..although for a long time now I've been riding in my high boots and breeches instead. That way on show day, it doesn't feel any different, because normally half chaps give better traction, so then I feel loose in my tall boots :)

seeuatx
May. 19, 2009, 08:09 PM
I have to snicker a bit... I always wore schooling breeches and half chaps, coming from a dressage/eventing/pony club background that was the norm. Then when I went to school, I got bug eyed looks from the resident HP's every time I wore that getup. My, my how times have changed... I guess I was just ahead of my time (if only I cared about fashion) ;)

foursocks
May. 19, 2009, 08:24 PM
Ah yes, the custom full chaps....with embroidered name, fancy belt, and FRINGE. Those looked extra-cool with a Navajo square pad- remember those? I was so jealous of my friend who had fancy fringe that made that satisfying thwack thwack thwack sound as she trotted around- mine were nice...but fringeless. My heartless mother did not seem to appreciate my need for a cooler pair of chaps. :cry:

I haven't ridden in anything but tall boots in so long I'm not sure I could go back to chaps- but the idea of being warm in the winter is appealing. And perhaps I could stick my horse's jump better in chaps....Hmmm...maybe I'll do it- I hate half chaps, but a good pair of custom fulls (maybe with fringe! :lol:) is really appealing.

dwblover
May. 19, 2009, 08:29 PM
On trail riding days, chaps are an essential part of my wardrobe! I love the "stick". That's pretty much the only time I wear them though.

DMK
May. 19, 2009, 09:13 PM
As soon as EVERYONE has converted over to half chaps (and I'd say it's pretty close now), full chaps will come back into fashion. That's the law of fashion, equestrian or otherwise. It's just that when chaps become popular again there will be some little "tweak" that will make older chaps obviously dated and require that you get new chaps to look truly fashionable. :winkgrin:

And here I sit with my double fringed, extra long fringed with metallic bronze underlay fringe, double piping uber fancy reasonably new chaps poised for the fashion resurgence! :D

Count me as another full chap hold out. Due to some interesting "knee" conformation (I'd be spun in the model) half chaps+jeans is an exercise in pain and I'm NOT wearing breeches every day. Besides, chaps are beautimous and who doesn't want to wear something beautimous?

Peggy
May. 19, 2009, 09:33 PM
Pretty much everyone at my barn wears breeches and half chaps, with one or two doing jeans and half chaps. The assistant trainer has a pair of custom full chaps with fringe that she brings out in the winter, especially if we've had a few rain/mud days off, or if she's wearing jeans and has to hop on something. One amateur rides in them. None of the kids. I have a pair of fringeless (but with the needlepoint back) customs that I've used a few times over the last year.

IMHO a few things happened, aside from the shifting tides of fashion. 1-Half chaps used to be pretty ugly for the most part. Remember the suede ones that didn't tend to fit well (too short, too wide) and had the velcro straps? Much nicer looking with far more size options now. 2-French saddles. 3-More colorful breeches. 4-Global warming?:cool:

AHC
May. 19, 2009, 09:56 PM
Love my Journeyman full chaps, but I haven't worn them in years. Trainer said I gripped too much with my thigh when I wore them.

Got used to half-chaps so my fulls are sitting at the bottom of my trunk. Every once in a while I look at them longingly because I still think they're pretty....Maybe next winter when it gets cold (I'm choosing to assume they still fit).

WIExpat
May. 19, 2009, 11:09 PM
But I love full chaps! It's all I rode in as a junior (I'm 26 and back to riding after a seven year hiatus) but as I'm back to riding now, I'm finding that the 'cool kids' only wear half-chaps. I'm in VA, so it's pretty hot here and I think half chaps are helpful in the warmer weather. But I'd go back to full chaps with my ratty jeans any day of the week!

Riley0522
May. 19, 2009, 11:16 PM
I used to ALWAYS ride in jeans and my full black chaps w/fringe. I LOVED those things. I took 3 years off from riding when I went to college, and sadly do not fit in my beloved full chaps anymore :( I love them so much they're hanging on my wall in our "office" as decoration.

I really want to buy another pair, but I have such an easier time transitioning to breeches when I wear them everyday with my half chaps! Eventually, when I have some spare cash, I will be buying a custom pair of full chaps!

ClemsonGraduateRider
May. 19, 2009, 11:35 PM
Ah yes, the custom full chaps....with embroidered name, fancy belt, and FRINGE. Those looked extra-cool with a Navajo square pad- remember those? I was so jealous of my friend who had fancy fringe that made that satisfying thwack thwack thwack sound as she trotted around- mine were nice...but fringeless. My heartless mother did not seem to appreciate my need for a cooler pair of chaps. :cry:

Four! I had ALL of that -- I still have all of my Navajo pads which of course, I wouldn't be caught dead with at my new fancy barn :)

I have a pair of Journeymen fulls and Pinnell halfs. I wear my half chaps all the time, mainly because my fulls are way too big now and give me nasty rubs. I plan on visiting Chuck while he is at Devon and asking him to take my fulls and my halfs in (I've lost some weight). I would love to be able to wear my fulls in the winter. It gets cold in central PA!

For those of you that have had chaps taken in -- it's the first time for both sets (although the fulls are 13 years old), I think he might do my halfs as the gratis one-time adjustment, but not the fulls -- what did it cost? The pull part of one of the zippers on my fulls has also come off and needs to be replaced - I would imagine he will have to replace the whole zipper Has anyone had this done before? Cost estimate??

IsolaBella09
May. 20, 2009, 12:23 AM
Ah, I used to love chaps. Still have mine! They were great for practicing no stirrup work and two point excercises with old trainer who was an equitation guru. ;) I wore them for years before I switched to britches and tall boots. I too, always wanted the fringe. Old trainer's fiance had a pair and I was always jealous of him when he rode. Still am. ;)

Candle
May. 20, 2009, 12:29 AM
I have piping, fringe, AND my initials inlaid into the belt with the same contrast leather color that my piping is. I just moved to an eventing barn, and I plan on wearing them as long as I fit into them :D We'll see how that goes....

ETA that they were SO COOL when I got them, so I'm waiting for them to come back into style. I don't think anything with a custom option really goes out of style for long in the horse world though.

meupatdoes
May. 20, 2009, 01:45 AM
Those looked extra-cool with a Navajo square pad- remember those?

Oh, my God yes.

Those were the days where you could still buy a polar fleece with a nordic-esque pattern, too.

heatherny2
May. 20, 2009, 01:47 AM
ohhh the memories...all I wanted back in the day were some nice custom full chaps...I finally got them, grey with navy trim and fringe, and of course my initials on the belt...my Mom kept them for the 15 some years I was out of horses..they are so stiff, I tried them on recently and wouldn't dream of trying to wear them now (I don't even think the knee would bend enough to get on my horse) but oh how I loved them!!! Now, it's just schooling breeches and half chaps...guess I will just save the full chaps as a Halloween costume or decoration...but will cherish the memories..:)

mvp
May. 20, 2009, 08:18 AM
So I started in NorCal, moved to the sticks of NY where fashion could be (or was) damned and now I'm moving to CT where one should get on the stick.

I'm bringing the 3 pairs of custom chaps-- from ratty and holey (made those holes myself, thank you very much) to silvered and buckstitched up. I'm also bringing the monogrammed navajos that won't die after 15 years.

That's why we bought all this stuff in the first place. Keep your eyes peeled for the ranch broke hunter/eq/dressage thing lookin' good in old school style. Interdisciplinary is not a bad thing. You just take the best of what each has to offer.

Mayaty02
May. 20, 2009, 09:37 AM
I had a new (adult re-rider) student show up the other day in *gorgeous* custom full chaps...that she'd had as a teenager 20 years ago :lol: It was the first time I'd seen them in a long time, and I remembered how much I loved them. I still have mine, but haven't put them on in ages - for me, half chaps are just easier and less restrictive.

LOL i am also a re-rider and if I could fit in my custom chaps from when I was 16, I would definitely be wearing them! BUT, I do like my half chaps too :)

katie16
May. 20, 2009, 10:02 AM
Guess I can empty out my "Save for Chuck Pinnell" piggy bank...

Ahhh, but he makes half chaps too!

I will admit that I am the only one at my barn that wears full chaps more often than not! I just cannot give up my Journeyman chaps - I love them!

mrsbradbury
May. 20, 2009, 10:11 AM
Ahhh, those days. Full chaps & Navajo pads. I am heading to the stable with a big smile today.

JumpWithPanache
May. 20, 2009, 10:17 AM
I love my full chaps and even though they aren't cool I ride in them anyway! Finally getting some new ones this summer!

Sukey1971
May. 20, 2009, 10:17 AM
I wear my full chaps only when it's cold. In warm weather I wear schooling tights and half chaps with paddock boots. None of the kids at the barn have full chaps, but most of them are beginners to limit level riders. I didn't have full chaps when I was that level either.

bumknees
May. 20, 2009, 10:28 AM
Why would 'french sadle' have a bearing on if you ware half or full chaps.. Im missing somehting I guess...

DLee
May. 20, 2009, 10:32 AM
Another vote for full chaps and shorts in the summer. :yes: Mine are not custom though (but still wonderful) smooth and very thin, really not hot.

dags
May. 20, 2009, 10:46 AM

thwack thwack, navajo pads, the word journeyman has never sounded so sweet. feel like I'm part of something archaic here, but I'm sooo enjoying it.

I think we may need to dig out their old customs and post pics, they were such beautiful pieces of equipment! It's like every ounce of individuality you ever wanted to inject into the hunter world was beheld in your custom chaps.

Not that I'm riding anywhere "cool" right now, but I'm not giving up my navajos! don't think I've found a square pad that fits the horse as seamlessly as a GOOD navajo.

Jo
May. 20, 2009, 11:05 AM
I'd love for Navajos to come back "in" as I have quite the collection, but sadly I don't think they'd work as well on my dressage saddle. I'll have to give it a try though!

I have chocolate with navy and tan trim/piping and double fringe with a fancy buckle and PRINCESS in a needlepoint belt on the back, courtesy of Nickelodian. I'm down for posting pics! I'd still wear them in the winter if I was still the same size I was when I was 21! ;)

meupatdoes
May. 20, 2009, 11:51 AM
Why would 'french sadle' have a bearing on if you ware half or full chaps.. Im missing somehting I guess...

Because french saddles are made of such fine and sumptuous leather (*snerk*) that they get holes worn in them very easily, and jeans are too abrasive for their delicate constitutions.
It is part of what makes a french saddle cost $4,500 and an english made saddle that actually holds up for ten years $2,500.

As for digging up photos, here's my two pairs:

Tan with black stripe with hunter green piping, green needlepoint with white monogram on back of belt (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v298/meupatdoes/?action=view&current=Benwall.jpg).

Rockin' it at Old Salem in 2004 like it was 1995 (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v298/meupatdoes/?action=view&current=Nala.jpg)

The new pair (I needed a new pair to tide me over for the repair time when the above pair went in to patch holes. I mean, like, that was totally necessary.)
Mahoganyish with green stripe accented by purple lacing, green and purple piping, fancy buckle, and green and lavender beaded initials with southwest accent and a fancy scroll shape on the ends, plus FRINGE. (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v298/meupatdoes/Jinxy/?action=view&current=DSC_0043.jpg)
The old schoolness of this picture is ruined by the hitech climatex shirt, but when I have a crisply ironed men's shirt on these chaps?
Are totally gnarly.

Meshach
May. 20, 2009, 11:58 AM
I still have my custom chaps from The Saddle Shop in Huntington LI -- my 17th birthday gift bought in 1986. Navy blue with gray piping with my name monogrammed on the back. They have some holes and were patched up a couple of times but still wearable. They were my favorite bday gift ever.

And I still fit in them, thank you very much. Ok ... so I haven't tried them on in years ... in my mind I still do!

bumknees
May. 20, 2009, 12:04 PM
I just tried my chaps on this morning ( I got them in 1980ish have had zippers moved ) and they still fit though a tad large through the calf area...

Think I paid something like 50$ for them at scheniders then havent a clue what they would be now...

mmmm guess ill refrain for dishing out for the french saddle after all think it would have a heart attack if it were to 'see' the 4 dogs, 2 cats and a family who no matter how often I show and tell them how to set a saddle down they still get it wrong...

FarnleyGarnet
May. 20, 2009, 12:58 PM
For those of you that have had chaps taken in -- it's the first time for both sets (although the fulls are 13 years old), I think he might do my halfs as the gratis one-time adjustment, but not the fulls -- what did it cost? The pull part of one of the zippers on my fulls has also come off and needs to be replaced - I would imagine he will have to replace the whole zipper Has anyone had this done before? Cost estimate??

Just got my '99 Journeymans (birthday present when I was 17) taken it a few inches this winter at the shop in Middleburg. Only set me back $35!!! I was expecting it to be so much more.

All the pizza and beer in college must have stretched them out and now that I work all day at a computer and barely eat they were swimming on me. Now they are perfect and I'm back to being my uncool (but old-school) self. And I can remember being 17 and hacking out on my TB/QH cross with my fringed journeymans, unapproved with unsnapped clear harness flapping in the breeze, navajo pad under pancake saddle and white polo wraps (because boots were so not cool in the '90s). :)

mypaintwattie
May. 20, 2009, 01:19 PM
All the pizza and beer in college must have stretched them out and now that I work all day at a computer and barely eat they were swimming on me. Now they are perfect and I'm back to being my uncool (but old-school) self. And I can remember being 17 and hacking out on my TB/QH cross with my fringed journeymans, unapproved with unsnapped clear harness flapping in the breeze, navajo pad under pancake saddle and white polo wraps (because boots were so not cool in the '90s). :)

Oh the memories! My full chaps are hanging in my locker- simple taupe with hunter green piping- oh how I miss my black with purple piping ones! They are hardly ever taken out anymore, but remind me of all those good rides years ago. I must say, even my nice french half chaps, with the insides worn through but oh so comfortable, have been getting alot less use since I got my new field boots. The current junior trend at my barn is *gasp* field boots with stretchy jeans. Glad I'm far from my junior years and therefore unaffected by the current trend, I gladly wear my breeches with my boots or jeans with my half chaps. Perhaps I'll break out the full chaps today...

HollysHobbies
May. 20, 2009, 01:30 PM
Oh dear, I'm 30 years behind the times. Just inherited a pair of someone else's Journeyman's I had fitted/altered by Chuck (who is local for me). I did get some looks from my dressage-y barn when I showed up to hack in them on Sunday. No one said anything though :) I'm just so excited to have them...someone else's name on the back or not.

I'll also ride the OTTBs I've been riding in them for the extra stick.
And hack in them.
And good backup for when I break my 1/2 chaps yearly.

Otherwise, I need to be in 1/2 chaps so I can move my leg around for the dressage...nothing I own is custom though.

ClemsonGraduateRider
May. 20, 2009, 01:33 PM
Oh dear, I'm 30 years behind the times. Just inherited a pair of Journeyman's I had fitted/altered by Chuck (who is local for me). I did get some looks from my dressage-y barn when I showed up to hack in them on Sunday. No one said anything though :) I'm just so excited to have them!

I'll also ride the OTTBs I've been riding in them for the extra stick.
And hack in them.
And good backup for when I break my 1/2 chaps yearly.

Otherwise, I need to be in 1/2 chaps so I can move my leg around for the dressage...nothing I own is custom though.

How much were your alterations by Chuck? Did he give you an estimate up front?

Nickelodian
May. 20, 2009, 01:50 PM
Here I am sporting my mahogony brown full chaps, burgundy yoke (needlepoint , cream double piping, with burgundy and cream double fringe. Not to mention the unapproved helmet, on a TB with whtie polos, leather back boots, and pessoa A/O saddle, made in England:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b2d704b3127cced36763ba357a00000010O08QcNmzJsxaA9 vPhQ/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Excuse the tennis shoes, I believe I forgot my paddock boots that day.

Those chaps died about 4 years ago, and I of course ordered some new ones. These are Chocolate brown with brown (fake) ostrich yoke and trim, lavender double pipping with brown and lavendar double fringe. My name is in leather insert on the belt. Note I have at least "upgraded" to a warmblood and a french saddle. ;)

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9dc30b3127ccec6035ece93d900000010O08QcNmzJsxaA9 vPhQ/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Trixie
May. 20, 2009, 01:50 PM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2118/12358822/21984558/364869790.jpg

My full chaps, which are for some reason black, turquoise, and purple.

They were custom for someone else :) but they are sassy.

Maddie found the donkey moderately disagreeable.

Equilibrium
May. 20, 2009, 02:16 PM
I'm sad to learn custom chaps aren't the in thing anymore!

I have 3prs of custom chaps from my days galloping at the track. I still use them as well. I have a pair of half chaps too. As I have never really liked my peg legs and nobbly knees, I'm not a big fan of the half chaps. Most of the time when I ride it's after barn chores so I'm still in my jeans. Half chaps and jeans are not so pretty, but since it's me and no one else I just ride away the shame. However, if it's to be a picture opportunity day, the full chaps make an appearance!!!:lol:

Because they were made for racetrack riding the thigh area probably isn't as tight as some due to short stirrup riding, but they're still cool. What with the fringe and all! Mine are black by the way with grey suede trim & fringe, and nice silver conches and silver buckles!

Terri

Mozart
May. 20, 2009, 03:10 PM
Mine were black suede with black fringe and burgundy and beige piping. Name embroidered on the back. Sigh, I was cool once, a long time ago and in a galaxy far away.....

magnolia73
May. 20, 2009, 03:26 PM
And I can remember being 17 and hacking out on my TB/QH cross with my fringed journeymans, unapproved with unsnapped clear harness flapping in the breeze, navajo pad under pancake saddle and white polo wraps (because boots were so not cool in the '90s).

oooo- I had a hunter green and beige navajo pad that matched my hunter green and beige customs with double hunter green and beige fringe. And an appendix. And a clear harness. And white polos.

Ahhh- conformity. some things never change.

RugBug
May. 20, 2009, 03:59 PM
I couldn't care less if they are out of style, I will one day have a pair of custom chaps. I think since I've been back riding I've been on a quest to purchase everything I couldn't afford as a kid (I paid for everything). I got custom Dehners right away (so NOT the popular boot these days), I searched high and low for white Ulster boots with blue strips. I never felt the need to get more navajos or egg crate foam because, hey...even on my 14 year old budget, I could afford those. :lol:

The thing holding me back from full chaps is that I then ride like crap when I have to switch to boots/breeches. My childhood trainer forbade me to wear my chaps because the change was so drastic. I do my best to avoid anything that helps me stick more...so then I don't have to practice in my boots in breeches for a week before a show. Thus: half chaps and breeches for me all the time.

ClemsonGraduateRider
May. 20, 2009, 11:00 PM
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1286877409050097282pUQQLP

Full chaps - check
Nasty bleached, falling apart unapproved helmet - check
Unsnapped clear harness - check

Fortunately, I had moved passed my navajo pad phase, as this was about 2001. :D

Heineken
May. 20, 2009, 11:51 PM
I still have and love my customs. Caramel smooth side out, double piped navy and burgundy, snakeskin patch in the back in navy with a monogram patch on the front left upper leg/hip. I still ride in them in the winter and I'm hoping to need to get them taken in in another 3 months!

HuntJumpSC
May. 21, 2009, 12:36 AM
I love my customs! All of mine have been smoothies~ not a big fan of suede. Had two great pairs of BJ's customs: one was smurf blue with navy & black double piping, black yokes & blue & black snakeskin backbelt. They were awesomely loud...:lol: My other pair of BJ's were tan with brown fringe, copper buckstitching w/piping, and leopard hair yokes & backbelt. Sold them both on Ebay...wish I hadn't.

I have one pair of customs now, along with a pair of custom half chaps. The full customs are Journeymens that I picked up on consignment at a local tack shop for $125! They're brand new, tobacco brown with black piping, leopard hair yokes & buckle strap. The backbelt is needpoint with the name "Lee". My son's middle name is Lee, so I guess it's ok...LOL. I love my custom half chaps too, also an Ebay deal. They're black with blue & black snakeskin piping & black fringe. Sooo comfy & fit like a glove!

Speaking of, my full customs are really snug, thanks to the last 10 lbs of baby weight that hasn't budged/redistributed. Is it possible to have elastic panels added along the length of the zippers? Or should I just wet them and wear them until dry?

Arcadien
May. 21, 2009, 12:58 AM
K, I have to own up - I coveted the custom chaps all through college, and finally spent way more than I should have to get my pair after graduation & real job. Black w/purple piping, monogram.... Of course soon after half chaps became more the thing, and my poor babies are collecting dust.

But I plan to break them out soon for riding my baby this summer (who cares what I wear in my own backyard ring, so I can relive my dream right??)

While I'm here, does anyone know if it would be hard to have FRINGE put on them now?

At the time I ordered them my riding buddies told me it would be over kill (sigh - but it was so COOL back then) so I went without. But I honestly think a part of my heart will never be satisfied without having chaps with Fringe! just to have, you know....lol.

Anyway, thanks for the fond memories & making me recall my "adding fringe" ambition before I outgrow them!

Arcadien

HuntJumpSC
May. 21, 2009, 01:06 AM
But I plan to break them out soon for riding my baby this summer (who cares what I wear in my own backyard ring, so I can relive my dream right??)
Arcadien

I have a new 2 year old filly I'll be backing this fall, so that's the main reason I'm wanting to get mine stretched to where they'll fit. I don't anticipate breaking to saddle will be any problem, but that extra "stick" comes in handy!

LittleGray
May. 21, 2009, 01:14 AM
I still have my customs I got in '95 when I was 13, and I still fit into them! You better believe when I start riding again I'll wear them. A local guy back in the day made them for like $300.00 I think. Nothing fancy, hunter green leather, lavender piping, name embroidered on the back...but I did go with the fringe! I was also the kid that rode in shorts, even in the winter?!?

I remember half chaps being suede, and having 4 velcro straps...they sure have come a long way.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/jeepgurl33/IMG_0455.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/jeepgurl33/IMG_0456.jpg

foursocks
May. 21, 2009, 10:03 AM
Well, this seals it- now I really want some new chaps. With fringe. There are two people who ride in full chaps at my barn and one of them has fringe on his. I was staring at them in envy yesterday while he rode- they just look cool. :cool:

I used to ride in cutoffs, chaps, Chuck Taylors and a bikini top in the summers. And then I'd haphazardly pop on my old velvet hat (the one with the plastic chin cup that sat permanently on the brim) for jumping. We all did- back then, we all felt that in Wisconsin the summers weren't long enough *not* to work on your tan when you could. :lol: Times have changed!

DMK
May. 21, 2009, 12:18 PM
heh heh socks, you KNOW I have the bling on de chaps!

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2200/3302146/10616695/241482202.jpg

Heineken
May. 21, 2009, 01:00 PM
I used to ride in cutoffs, chaps, Chuck Taylors and a bikini top in the summers. And then I'd haphazardly pop on my old velvet hat (the one with the plastic chin cup that sat permanently on the brim) for jumping. We all did- back then, we all felt that in Wisconsin the summers weren't long enough *not* to work on your tan when you could. :lol: Times have changed![/QUOTE

I was one of the kids watching you do this thinking how totally cool you were on your jr or eq horse and wondering when I'd be old enough for custom chaps and have boobs enough to wear the bikini top! My pony and I were always jealous of the jr kids ;) Behlke's Saddlery(Mequon) sold awesome navajos...And Chris Lagan was ALWAYS in the ring with a cigarette and flipflops...I'm obsessed with wearing flipflops at the barn because of her!

RugBug
May. 21, 2009, 01:09 PM
I used to ride in cutoffs, chaps, Chuck Taylors and a bikini top in the summers. And then I'd haphazardly pop on my old velvet hat (the one with the plastic chin cup that sat permanently on the brim) for jumping. We all did- back then, we all felt that in Wisconsin the summers weren't long enough *not* to work on your tan when you could. :lol: Times have changed!

I was one of the kids watching you do this thinking how totally cool you were on your jr or eq horse and wondering when I'd be old enough for custom chaps and have boobs enough to wear the bikini top!

The older girls at our barn would wear their custom chaps and would tie their plain white v-neck t-shirts up...looping the bottom up through the neck making it like a little bra top? (that's not easy to describe). I thought they were soooo cool.

HollysHobbies
May. 21, 2009, 01:13 PM
I still don't have the boobs to wear a bikini top. :lol::lol::lol::sadsmile: Hey, I'm only 31...any day now...

I just got shamed off a COTH hair-thread because I wear the bun holder with glitter (much like a snood/show bow) thing. I see tons of them at the dressage shows though!

And my highschool kids informed me they couldn't tie their jacket around their waist on the field trip to keep from being cold/warm...that's so "uncool" they informed me...

Ride with pride people...ride with pride.

OkLurchers
May. 21, 2009, 01:55 PM
Wow. I still have a few Navajo pads from the 90's, just in case they come back...
And although I now ride in breeches & half chaps (leggings to those of us born in the 60's!), I still have 2 pairs of customs. One is a beautiful creamish-beige with the requisite fringe & needlepoint back. I wear them when it's cold or I need extra 'stick.' The other pair is really awesome & only brought out for special occasions--they were made as a prototype by a friend who thought she'd go into business making customs, but charged too much! They are black, needlepoint back & have green leather shamrocks sewn all the way up & down both legs; the shamrocks are connected by embroidery that looks like a vine, with tiny white & pink flowers & there is a 4 leaf clover at the top on the left leg for luck. They are truly a work of art & I plan to be buried in them! I always saved them for shows when schooling my good, competitive jumper, back in the day.

mvp
May. 21, 2009, 02:00 PM
DMK-- who made those pictured badboys?

There's no point in going half-way with bling. Pimp the ride, people.

Peggy
May. 21, 2009, 02:28 PM
This pretty much reeks late 80's:

Custom chaps (albeit fringeless), matching navajo pad, full-cheek snaffle, Hampa boots, pancake flat saddle, bizarre helmet cover with bow, TB...

And I think that might be a Radnor T-shirt

FancyFree
May. 21, 2009, 02:28 PM
Full chaps are out now? I can finally get back into mine and they're out?

HuntJumpSC
May. 21, 2009, 02:37 PM
The older girls at our barn would wear their custom chaps and would tie their plain white v-neck t-shirts up...looping the bottom up through the neck making it like a little bra top? (that's not easy to describe). I thought they were soooo cool.

Ooooh! I have pics of that look! My students thought they were so cool...LMAO! Of course, I had no shame either...there's a pic floating around of me schooling Raleigh in a sport bra and my smurf blue chaps~ soooo sexy! :rolleyes: When you live on the Carolina coast and it's blue blazes hot w/ 100% humidity, comfort comes before modesty. :lol:

DMK
May. 21, 2009, 03:11 PM
mvp - chaps made by Tenney's!

I started out with staid quiet chaps - dark green with a burgundy stripe some beige piping and a beige yoke... No fringe. Then I dared a bit more with soft beige chaps with a bolder buckstitching pattern instead of a stripe. Hah! The inner "pimp my ride" persona was fully unleashed with the last pair!

Buckskin/medium beige with a faux black alligator yoke and stripe, metallic bronze douple piping, metallic bronze underlay for my initials, double extra long fringe with teh underlaying fringe in metallic bronze...

Or as the trainer I hook up with said (to one of her teenage clients) "DMK always has the bling, but it's tasteful bling..." (I'm guessing the teenager was at that stage where they understand about "bling", but taste? Not so much... :lol: )

mvp
May. 21, 2009, 03:26 PM
Y'all need to rent the HBO documentary, Pimps, or some such title. It's all about the lifestyle and bling, including a big Pimp convention at the end. Great ideas there. Trust me.

There's no reason not to get tasteful bling, DMK style. You should only have to buy one pair for your life time. Of course, this doesn't happen. So pony up with the money and get the best pair possible. You only live once. Go ahead, try and scare the chap maker. In fact, I'd like to order a pair so elaborate and beautiful that it made the craftsman weep. Weep, I tell you, and put my pair in their portfolio.

I like fabulous leather, cut and bling done in barn colors. That way you can argue some kind of restraint and rationality to your pimped ride. Real pimps do dress in carefully thought out ensembles. Again, go to the source and see How It's Done.

DMK
May. 21, 2009, 04:24 PM
it's funny, when I was putting together that combination of colors and bling, the tack store was looking at it with a slightly suspicious eye, but they knew me and knew I had a clue about color combinations ... but I think they were really surprised when they saw how pretty the chaps turned out (and I wouldn't admit it, but I was secretly relieved too!)

magnolia73
May. 21, 2009, 04:32 PM
Can't beat DMK in a chap off. She's the queen with those chaps.

Makes me wonder why she does not do western pleasure?

DMK
May. 21, 2009, 04:49 PM
and where do you think her inner bling came from? ;)

magnolia73
May. 21, 2009, 04:54 PM
Well, there ya go. I think in every pair of custom chaps is a HP who is embracing her WP side. Mine have hand tooled leather accents. Must have been the deal with the navajo pads too....and those kippy belts.

J. Turner
May. 21, 2009, 06:53 PM

I cannot stand the feeling of sticky sweaty skin against leather, especially if the top grain is on the inside. At least suede absorbs a little. For some reason, it is just abhorrent to me. Since I've moved south I've worn half-chaps pretty much exclusively. That was in 2001. When I first met Miss Sara Daniels in my first sojourn south, one barn I rode at was starting to wear half chaps.

Pirateer
May. 21, 2009, 07:01 PM
Can't beat DMK in a chap off. She's the queen with those chaps.

Makes me wonder why she does not do western pleasure?

Can we hire her for chap consultations?

mvp
May. 21, 2009, 09:52 PM
No but you can go to Congress and see what you need to for yourself.

Other sites like Turning Point Leather will give you plenty o' ideas.

Glad to give you a dimebag.

Linny
May. 21, 2009, 10:18 PM
Now that this thread is 6 pages long, I think we will see a fancy fully chap renaissance! Now I want a new pair with fringe and initials and a brass toggle closure. Burgundy and green might be nice!

LittleGray
May. 21, 2009, 10:53 PM
Wow. I still have a few Navajo pads from the 90's, just in case they come back...
And although I now ride in breeches & half chaps (leggings to those of us born in the 60's!), I still have 2 pairs of customs. One is a beautiful creamish-beige with the requisite fringe & needlepoint back. I wear them when it's cold or I need extra 'stick.' The other pair is really awesome & only brought out for special occasions--they were made as a prototype by a friend who thought she'd go into business making customs, but charged too much! They are black, needlepoint back & have green leather shamrocks sewn all the way up & down both legs; the shamrocks are connected by embroidery that looks like a vine, with tiny white & pink flowers & there is a 4 leaf clover at the top on the left leg for luck. They are truly a work of art & I plan to be buried in them! I always saved them for shows when schooling my good, competitive jumper, back in the day.

Do you have pics of the ones with shamrocks? Those sound awesome!

foursocks
May. 21, 2009, 11:15 PM
I was one of the kids watching you do this thinking how totally cool you were on your jr or eq horse and wondering when I'd be old enough for custom chaps and have boobs enough to wear the bikini top! My pony and I were always jealous of the jr kids ;) Behlke's Saddlery(Mequon) sold awesome navajos...And Chris Lagan was ALWAYS in the ring with a cigarette and flipflops...I'm obsessed with wearing flipflops at the barn because of her!

AHHH! So fabulous- Chris was hilarious. She was one of the most chill people I have ever met. It's fun, thinking back to those days! :cool:

Oh- and I didn't (and still don't) have the boobs to wear a bikini top. But Cookie (my trainer) did it and so did all of the cooler adults, so naturally the teenagers had to follow suit!

DMK: when I do decide to get my new chaps, I will certainly ask for your guidance- I need something worthy of my horse, after all! Not blingy, but with some oomph!

DMK
May. 21, 2009, 11:55 PM
oh yeah, socks - I'd have something special planned for your chaps. Something screaming Anarchy with a hint of Twyla, Twyla! Or Michael Kidd, Or Madonna, Madonna, Madonna!... but you keep it all inside. :D

Don't let Mags kid you, her chaps rock!

equest
May. 22, 2009, 12:30 PM
I have a pair I used to wear from time to time (which do not really fit my calves anymore), but it is just way too darn hot to sport full chaps here in South Florida during most of the year. But I like the way they look and wouldn't mind having a pair for trail riding during the cool months.

Agree that jeans cause too much wear on calfskin seats -whoever had my Childeric saddle before me apparently wore jeans and half chaps all the time, the pommel is chafed.

Arcadien
May. 22, 2009, 03:49 PM
Well you guys have helped stimulate the economy <grin>

From this thread I've developed a major case of FRINGE ENVY and have been in contact with Chuck Pinnel to get some blingy purple fringe added to my custom Dovers; and get them refitted so they are just purrrfect when I get dressed up to ride my baby in my own ring in the middle of nowhere this summer LOLOL.

Anyway, nice excuse to go to Devon - Chuck is there through June 2nd!

Enablers carry on!
:):)
Arcadien

Pirateer
May. 22, 2009, 04:05 PM
Anyway, nice excuse to go to Devon - Chuck is there through June 2nd!

I'm hoping he'll be at WEG in 2010. Thats my chap date. Or I'll drive to C-ville. Whatevs. :)