PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on leasing - Alexandria

jessmax
May. 18, 2009, 11:42 AM
Lookign to lease a horse and get lessons close to Alexandria. Would appreciate any comments on close in stables, Woodlawn,Justice Snowden or others.
thankyou:):confused:

LexInVA
May. 18, 2009, 11:52 AM
Are you looking for something specific? Woodlawn is a kiddie barn and not really someplace I'd want to go if I wanted peace and quiet not to mention it's literally right on the side of a major road that is always busy except the late and early hours. Can't say I know much about Justice Snowden down the road from there. If you just want to take lessons, I would imagine either one of them is fine for you.

trooper345
May. 18, 2009, 11:54 AM
Woodlawn is a lesson mill, def caters to the kiddies. They have nice solid horses to learn on but you get your 1 hour and that is it. No real barn time to groom, bond and play with your horse and very strict rules. Also, no horse shows, just 1 to 2 in house fun shows a year.

Trixie
May. 18, 2009, 11:57 AM
What are your goals, and what is your definition of "close in?"

AKB
May. 20, 2009, 09:47 AM
I am a friend of JessMax, so I think I know what they are looking for. They live in the Mt Vernon area of Alexandria. Her ?14 year old daughter is bored with low level lessons at her current barn and would like to lease a horse. The family is busy, and daughter does not yet drive. They would like to find a place not too far (? within 30 minutes) from Alexandria/Mt Vernon where the daughter can lease a horse and get good lessons. I don't think they plan to do a lot of showing, but she does want to lease or half lease a reliable horse and get lessons on the horse. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Trixie
May. 20, 2009, 10:31 AM
I think you're looking at driving further than a half an hour, unfortunately. I'd look at farms in the Fairfax Station/Clifton area, though.

AKB
May. 20, 2009, 01:26 PM
What about Tamarack or Jarvis Stables, or anything else in Lorton? Does anyone know anything about those stables? My own kids went the eventing/dressage route, so I don't know anything about hunter jumper barns or lesson barns.

Everythingbutwings
May. 20, 2009, 01:32 PM
Jarvis is a boarding barn and, unless you find someone to share their horse, I'd doubt you'll get a lease there. They are mostly western and trail people.

Giles Run/Tamarack does the kiddie lessons, too, but will sell/lease just about anything for a price. The are in your time frame, though.

You might contact Barranda Ridge or Red Maple or Oliver's and inquire about a boarder interested in part leasing. Meadowood Stables on the BLM property in Lorton as well.

Another barn to check (more dressage and a bit further away) would be Cedar Ridge Equestrian Center in Woodbridge.

Prima Donna
May. 20, 2009, 05:24 PM
I live in Alexandria and board at a private farm in Accokeek, MD. There are several barns in PG county that are easier to get to than those out in fairfax. One that I have heard of is Merrymount but I don't know anything good or bad about it.

TrakGeorge
May. 22, 2009, 05:39 AM
HA! Sorry, it's way too early for me....I read your thread title and was like....what is she kidding, she wants to lease Alexandria (as in Rachel Alexandria).........okay I really should get more sleep. :lol:

Stroupy
May. 22, 2009, 06:45 AM
Clifton Saddlery in Clifton has a book filled with horses for lease in the area that owners have posted. Lots are in the Clifton area. It might be worth a look.

hunterqueen
May. 22, 2009, 06:57 AM
Haven't shown at Merrymount in years BUT unless your horse is really good at dodging trees in the upper ring... The two rings are typically very rocky BUT they do have an indoor so you can ride all year round. However, it could have changed over the years…