PDA

View Full Version : Show Shirt for long arms?

EventFan
May. 18, 2009, 01:00 AM
Speak to me of the best show shirts for skinny girls with long arms? My daughter is slim and flat chested (TMI SORRY), but has long arms. We will be making a trip to our one and only tack shop, but can you make suggestions on brands to try for her?

She's 5'4 and close to 100 pounds if that helps. Thanks for your suggestions!

ETA: She just outgrew her favorite TS shirt because the arms are wayyyy too short and it was a girls size 16 if that helps.

GallopGirl
May. 18, 2009, 01:28 AM
I'm built like a crazy monkey... big shoulders, long arms, little waist... Essex has great shirts that fit me. TS shirts don't work at all. To get a size big enough for the arms, I'm swimming in the waist. If you can, go to the tack store and try on a bunch of stuff. That's the only way I've ever been able to find riding clothes because of my size. I'm 5'10 and a half, 135 pounds, with a 35 inch inseam. Yeah.. arms are proportionate to legs. Scary.

EventFan
May. 18, 2009, 10:38 AM
She has had a huge growth spurt the last year and half....maybe the rest of her will catch up with her arms! In the mean time finding long sleeve anything is a pain. Luckily her show jacket still fits!

showmom858
May. 18, 2009, 11:04 AM
My DD ( almost 15) also has the crazy long arms. She's 5'5" now but only weighs 95 lbs! This year she has two Essex Coolmax shirts that were my older DDs in a women's size 30. These are fitted at her waist (versus the children's) and seem to have long enough arms for her. She also has one that is a children's size 18 and the arms are long enough, but it is not as fitted at her waist.

Bolero
May. 18, 2009, 11:09 AM
My DD ( almost 15) also has the crazy long arms. She's 5'5" now but only weighs 95 lbs! This year she has two Essex Coolmax shirts that were my older DDs in a women's size 30. These are fitted at her waist (versus the children's) and seem to have long enough arms for her. She also has one that is a children's size 18 and the arms are long enough, but it is not as fitted at her waist.

I think Essex is the best idea option out there. I'm not as small, but I do have long arms and the Essex shirts fit me perfectly. SmartPak has quite a good selection. (http://www.smartpakequine.com/SearchResults.aspx?page=GRID&free_text|1242659235845=essex&attribute_value_string|Store_ID=Equine) I bought the new Wrap Collar Shirt from them recently.

Tabwrdd_ridge
May. 18, 2009, 11:22 AM
idk if you have ever seen shirts by a co. called MIKU but that is there
claim to fame that they are longer in the arm and a tad wider in teh shoulder. THey have really nice patterns and colors. It might be worth looking into if the essex doesnt suit.
Might want to try marigold too.. sounds like she might have that marigold build.. the slim waisted long arm, tall look. there shirts are SOOO nicely tailored!!! they look awesome. The farm house had a huge selection of them the last time i was in there. neither company does a coolmax though just cotton. but they have such a huge selection of colors styles and brands it might be worth calling to see what theymight have and having it shipped. www.farmhousetack.com (http://www.farmhousetack.com)

Michelle

Kementari
May. 18, 2009, 12:06 PM
I have problems with too-short arms in a lot of brands, but I have a shirt who's tag says "R.H. Collection" that has arms that are so long that I sometimes roll the cuffs up and make them sort of French-esque! I really like how it's cut, too, though it's a size too big for me now (there are disadvantages to losing weight ;)). I got it for like $10 in the Dover basement, so I don't know anything about the brand or how big a line they have, though...

Pirateer
May. 18, 2009, 12:10 PM
Essex, Miku, or RJ Classics.
I am short (5'3) and have pretty long monkey arms, and those are pretty much all I will work with. TS are pretty, lovely fabric, but no way in hell will they work on me.

EventFan
May. 18, 2009, 01:02 PM
I know our tack store carries RJ Classics and Essex, not sure about Miku. But I will start with those brands, and if the store doesn't have what we need I'll hit the catalogs (but armed with more information lol!).

rugbygirl
May. 18, 2009, 01:17 PM
Arista makes show shirts that fit really nicely.

TheOneandOnly
May. 18, 2009, 02:02 PM
I vote Miku Designs :yes: I have long arms too and like having an inch or so of my cuff showing, and this shirt is perfect. I stumbled across these shirts by accident and fell in LOVE, don't plan on buying anything else for as long as I can:winkgrin:

DMK
May. 18, 2009, 02:44 PM
yes, another vote for Miku.

Apparently when I die, they are going to pose my skeleton next to Kevin McHale and a chimpanzee for the "freakishly long arm" display (really, my knuckles do NOT drag on the ground!) The only shirts that truly fit are custom ones and I have treated myself to a few of those (because, hey, I'm worth it AND I am done growing). But after that the option is a shirt 2 sizes too large or a Miku at 1 size larger than normal. Fortunately I like things big and baggy so it's no big deal for me, but it's nice to get something off the rack and have it come close to fitting (the too short sleeve issue isn't limited to ratcatchers btw)...

Also, in case you think she may outgrow this, my father used to get his dress shirts custom made because of ... you guessed it ... freakishly long arms. What can I say, apparently our family lives to prove Darwin correct even if the argument is already over for most people. ;)

Talk of the Town
May. 19, 2009, 05:59 AM
Essex is probably your best bet. i am very tall and slender (5'8, 110lbs) and no chest either haha but most all of my shirts are Essex in a 32 so your DD would probably fit in a 30 very well.

Ridersmom
May. 19, 2009, 07:02 AM
My duaghter is long armed and small boned with a tiny waist. The only shirt that she can wear is an Essex. Her best fitting one is the one with french cuffs. It has also held up very well and is still nice and bright white. You can actually see a little shirt sleeve under her jacket (which has the arms lengthened). She has not tried Marigold shirts although her Marigold jacket is the one that we have not had to have altered.

BAC
May. 19, 2009, 11:24 AM
idk if you have ever seen shirts by a co. called MIKU but that is there
claim to fame that they are longer in the arm and a tad wider in teh shoulder. THey have really nice patterns and colors. It might be worth looking into if the essex doesnt suit. www.farmhousetack.com (http://www.farmhousetack.com)

I agree about the Miku shirts, and they are really beautiful. Farmhouse is great to deal with, they will even email you pictures of stuff that isn't on their website. Definitely give them a call.