PDA

View Full Version : photographer for Devon 09?

Lazy Palomino Hunter
May. 17, 2009, 02:54 PM
Does anyone know who the photographer will be at Devon 2009? And do they have a website?

Equinoxfox
May. 17, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hello
Devon has not happened yet . But trust me I will be there and can not wait to see all the professional divisions.
Junior weekend is coming up .. you can check the website to get information about the photographer.
Good Luck

Lazy Palomino Hunter
May. 17, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hello
Devon has not happened yet . But trust me I will be there and can not wait to see all the professional divisions.
Junior weekend is coming up .. you can check the website to get information about the photographer.
Good Luck

Doh. I know it's at the end of May every year... I'm getting ahead of myself again.

:lol: Oh dear, it is going to be a long week at this rate.

vxf111
May. 17, 2009, 03:20 PM
Sorry, I was completely wrong before, just wasn't thinking and got the names mixed up. As ponypix points out below, James Leslie Parker is the official Devon photog for the hunter/jumper/eq/breeding classes. I am sorry if my prior post confused anyone. I just plain got names confused.

If you want more artsy type photos, Brenda Carpenter does a lovely job with those and if you catch her and tell her to photograph you-- she will.

ponypix
May. 17, 2009, 06:40 PM
James Leslie Parker Photography will be the "Official Photographer" at Devon 2009 as we have been since the early 90's. In the past, many photographers have offered photos online, but this year we will be the only photographers AUTHORIZED TO SELL Hunter, Jumper , Equitation and Breeding photos. As of this year only the Official Photographers can offer photos for sale from the Devon Horseshow. All other divisions will be covered by Bob Moseder. We will photograph all divisions and our photos will be on our website:www.jamesparkerphotography.com. They will be posted after each class and will remain on our website for the duration of the show and for a short period thereafter. You can refer to our site after the show ends for the exact date they will be removed. We will have our booth at the show as usual, but for the first time you will be able to review your photos there and be able to place your orders. As a special we will offer a 10% discount on all orders placed at the show or online DURING THE SHOW. We trust that our new process will make it possible for anyone with an interest in any horse or exhibitor to see their photos and to follow the show. If you have not seen our website you might enjoy our galleries and especially our Memory Lane. This file now contains about 300 of our historical photos...We have about 10,000 more photos that will be added as time allows. If you have not seen our completed Book Projects,you can review them on our site or please stop by our Devon booth and take a look at the finished books...you really need to see them up close to appreciate them.We thank you for your interest in our efforts and look forward to seeing you at Devon.

Susan P
May. 17, 2009, 07:26 PM
Will you also cover lead line this Saturday?

James Leslie Parker Photography will be the "Official Photographer" at Devon 2009 as we have been since the early 90's. In the past, many photographers have offered photos online, but this year we will be the only photographers AUTHORIZED TO SELL Hunter, Jumper , Equitation and Breeding photos. As of this year only the Official Photographers can offer photos for sale from the Devon Horseshow. All other divisions will be covered by Bob Moseder. We will photograph all divisions and our photos will be on our website:www.jamesparkerphotography.com (http://www.jamesparkerphotography.com). They will be posted after each class and will remain on our website for the duration of the show and for a short period thereafter. You can refer to our site after the show ends for the exact date they will be removed. We will have our booth at the show as usual, but for the first time you will be able to review your photos there and be able to place your orders. As a special we will offer a 10% discount on all orders placed at the show or online DURING THE SHOW. We trust that our new process will make it possible for anyone with an interest in any horse or exhibitor to see their photos and to follow the show. If you have not seen our website you might enjoy our galleries and especially our Memory Lane. This file now contains about 300 of our historical photos...We have about 10,000 more photos that will be added as time allows. If you have not seen our completed Book Projects,you can review them on our site or please stop by our Devon booth and take a look at the finished books...you really need to see them up close to appreciate them.We thank you for your interest in our efforts and look forward to seeing you at Devon.

ponypix
May. 17, 2009, 08:09 PM
Yes, of course. In the past we have always had 2 or 3 photographers in the leadline classes. In our previous shooting mode we had to record the BACK # of each rider in order to match it to the name and address to get it to the proper rider. There are approximatly 65 in each class...a class that lasts about twice around the ring, each way. We have always had issues getting photos to everybody. It's easy to shoot that many kids but impossible to photograph them and keep track for sorting later in the week. We will now take many more photos in that short time (no time wasted writing down #'s AND descriptions) and they will all be online for your review. In addition, anybody wanting to see the photos of horses in all divisions will be able to do so. If you have any special needs or requests see me or any of my staff and we will do our best to fill your needs. Last year we sent 18,000 proofs to 1119 exhibitors...We hope our new process will allow us to satisfy many more people with many more photos. Thanks James Parker

Susan P
May. 17, 2009, 09:39 PM
Well of course my granddaughter will really stand out, very unique, kacky color britches, navy jacket, CO helmet, lol and of course ribbons in pig tails, she'll be blonde. Do you think you can remember that? :lol: She's riding the cutest little gray pony, they make a perfect match. I think this is going to be fun, sure hope so. I just want to see her go round a couple times in the Dixon Oval, this is at least one time that she will be able to do that and we'll have that memory and hopefully a nice photo.

vxf111
May. 18, 2009, 07:38 AM
ponypix you are so correct and I had a 120% brain fart. Blame being up nearly 24-7 for several days in a row getting ready. I completely mixed up names. I am going to go back and edit my post. I don't know how I got the names confused... we've even spoke about Devon photos before. Sorry!!!

ponypix
May. 18, 2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the edit, But your suggestion that exhibitors seek out another photographer for " arty" photos makes it clear that you have missed the point that no other photographer can photograph at Devon and offer those for sale. I would refer you to a notification that appears in the Devon prizelist that states the Horseshow position on any other photographers selling or offering to sell Devon photos. We hope that everybody will avoid an uncomfortable situation by following that notice. But more to the point...If you are looking for "arty" photos I would suggest that you look at our Book examples on our website. Many of the photos we include in those projects are what, I believe, you are talking about. My partner Kathy Russell has created a large portfolio of photos with a "different view" Our books look at the "show" and everyday images that you probably have seen a 1000 times but never quite thought of as a photo you would buy. But that will change now. We hope to expose you to those moments in time by offering those for sale on our website, Look through our site and our show proofs to find these new and different interpertations of the " horse experience' Thanks again...James Parker PS. The new policy in no way attempts to prohibit friends and family from TAKING photos. Nor does it refer to legitimate press people from doing there job But, hopefully, this position will allow photographers who have paid their dues and become a part of that particular show to do our job for both the exhibitors and the show managemet. Other shows that we "do" have also adopted this policy and I suggest that any photographer who finds themselves in a similar position talk to their show managers and get them to protect them In the long run, without these measures, there will be no photographers left who are willing AND CAPABLE of assuring that there will be a photographer at the next show you attend.We see every day on these boards complaints that the photographer is never there when you need them...I can't guaruntee that we will always get your shot on that day but it will not be from lack of effort. We will have 5 very experienced full time photographers at Devon for a 1 ring show (plus a few days in the Gold Ring) I trust we can get the job done.

ponypix
May. 24, 2009, 09:32 AM
Update from www.jamesparkerphotography.com...Balance of Jr Weekend and Leadline will be posted by end of Sunday..The # of photos will explain the " Delay????" Enjoy

AppendixQHLover
May. 24, 2009, 09:47 AM
I went looking for the leadline pictures and didn't see them. That post explains. :):D

ONE year I might actually have a good enough horse to show up there. Right now I dn't. :D

ponypix
May. 24, 2009, 03:42 PM
3;30 PM....younger LL complete....15 Min,
older will be complete..Have at it!!!!

Tabwrdd_ridge
May. 25, 2009, 12:02 PM
alixcoleman.com
shes got pix starting from thurs 5 21 but it may be a few days before shes up to speed.. jl parker was also there taking pictures.

tntpony
May. 25, 2009, 09:51 PM
I am curious.....how are there other photographers IN and OUTSIDE the ring, and they are not able to sell their pictures? Is DEVON a private or public event? I do not understand the legal issue here?

bascher
May. 26, 2009, 06:41 AM
I am curious.....how are there other photographers IN and OUTSIDE the ring, and they are not able to sell their pictures? Is DEVON a private or public event? I do not understand the legal issue here?

I know at Devon there is only one official show photographer that is ok'ed by the horse show itself. So, only JL Parker (the official photographer) can be in the ring taking pictures of classes and award ceremonies.

ponypix
May. 30, 2009, 10:03 PM
A note to all exhibitors....Before ordering photos from ANYONE other than us (www.jamesparkerphotography.com) , be advised that no other photographer has the approval of the Devon Horse Show to sell, or offer for sale, photos taken at their show.In addition, most of those trying to sell photos ( If you call me I'll give you a secret password to my website, but don't tell anyone) Have signed contracts with the show specifying that they are taking press photos only and will not sell their photos. The DHS has the right to remove those violating their contract for this, or any future shows.( See Page 6 of Devon Prizelist) . The show has committed to follow up and enforce the contracts....It will be very lonely there next year. So be prepared for no delivery of the photos you order...a refund might be your only chance...But who wants to wait for a refund from anyone foolish enough to violate a contract with a horse show...Names to follow when a complete list of those who signed a contract but did not take it seriously is available...I can assure you that EVERY horse show will be interested in those who choose to ignore their side of a contract. Any comments or questions can be directed to James Parker at 561-309-4342.

Tha Ridge
May. 30, 2009, 10:31 PM
A note to all exhibitors....Before ordering photos from ANYONE other than us (www.jamesparkerphotography.com) , be advised that no other photographer has the approval of the Devon Horse Show to sell, or offer for sale, photos taken at their show.In addition, most of those trying to sell photos ( If you call me I'll give you a secret password to my website, but don't tell anyone) Have signed contracts with the show specifying that they are taking press photos only and will not sell their photos. The DHS has the right to remove those violating their contract for this, or any future shows.( See Page 6 of Devon Prizelist) . The show has committed to follow up and enforce the contracts....It will be very lonely there next year. So be prepared for no delivery of the photos you order...a refund might be your only chance...But who wants to wait for a refund from anyone foolish enough to violate a contract with a horse show...Names to follow when a complete list of those who signed a contract but did not take it seriously is available...I can assure you that EVERY horse show will be interested in those who choose to ignore their side of a contract. Any comments or questions can be directed to James Parker at 561-309-4342.

James, I must say - I admire your commitment to Devon and congratulations on being named the official photographer; however, having worked for a horse show photographer myself for nearly three years now, I must question why you are so adamant about there being no competition.

If another photographer wants to pay the vendor fee and sell photos, shouldn't they be allowed to? I'm sure you will agree that exhibitors will only want to buy the best photos, which, seeing as you're the official photographer, should be yours, no? Therefore, why so afraid of another photographer? You should be more afraid of the dad or uncle or grandfather who goes and picks up a D-SLR and some L lenses and then thinks they're a pro.

ponypix
May. 30, 2009, 11:16 PM
It is not a matter of competition. We make a committment to the show to be here at their call from 7am-11pm every day. To fullfill our side of that agreement I have a staff of 5 photographers for 1+ ring. In exchange for that we have been granted exclusive rights to sell photos taken at this show. This arrangement works for the show and us and I doubt you could substantiate that the exhibitors are in any way penalized by this. Look through the files...I doubt that any exhibitor does not have more great photos than they need. In addition, the atmosphere created by other photographers with their lack of proffesional standards has threatened the assurance that a qualified and capable photographer will be at the next show you attend. The fact that they violated their contract with the show is an indication that they lack the standards( and in most cases the talent) to service a show of this quality. Who would want to do business with people who do not honor their word. Your point about other photographers PAYING a fee, the show does not offer that option. Apparently the show is comfortable that we can do a proper and complete job and perhaps they choose to not do business with others who have now proved themselves dishonest and lacking the standards that good horseshows expect from their officials. In fact, the point that the other photographers pay nothing and make no commitment might explain why their presence is not needed. We do some shows with many other photographers but in those cases we either work well together to assure the show and the exhibitors get what they want or we have No responsibility to the show...or ,for that matter, the exhibitors. Most of the shows who contract us are satisfied with our service and want to assure an ongoing relationship that works for them and their exhibitors. But once again...management has the last word and obviously feel that our arrangement works best for them Any other company is welcome to petition shows to get the contract. ( and they do every day with attempts to BUY their way in)..but those who violate their signed agreements will probably never reach that agreement with any show of value..only those shows who think that another concession fee is the only criteria for inclusion. Good shows want quality, not quantity. And so do exhibitors. As soon as someone can EARN their way into a show I'm sure they will be there...But proper etiquite and standards are part of earning your way.

Rainbow Farm Unltd.
Jun. 17, 2009, 11:57 PM
Here! Here! and A-men. Excellent post on the subject, PonyPix.

ccoronios
Jun. 18, 2009, 11:42 AM
James, thank you for taking the time to - once again - explain the importance of honoring a contract in such a professional manner.

And kudos to Devon for being an exemplary show management team.

Carol

ponypix
Jun. 18, 2009, 12:18 PM
Although we posted this info on what became another thread, We have extended the time that our Devon proofs will be on our website. Devon proofs 2009 will remain on our site ( www.jamesparkerphotography.com ) at least until the end of Lake Placid (July 10). As we are new at the online sales process and are feeling our way up the learning curve we will probably fine tune our process many times until we get it right. And " getting it right" is a balance of what works for the exhibitors AND us. We know you would like to have photos posted forever( why not....we all want a free ride) but my best business sense tells me that that policy is not conducive to SELLING photos. And selling photos is what keeps us on the road offering as many of the best photos we can produce. We originally offered a 10% discount on Devon orders but that has expired. Thanks to all of you who took advantage of that offer...Your response has been overwhelming.We will continue to offer similar specials as we get more comfortable with the process. Again , thanks. James Parker 561-309-4342