PDA

View Full Version : Am i the only one with this problem?? deafness when showing

Aerial
May. 17, 2009, 02:05 PM
So i am just curious if this happens to anyone else. If i'm in the ring while showing and i'm doing something, as i go past the gate, my trainer can practically be screaming at me to fix whatever i'm doing wrong and i won't hear it. Only afterwards, when she tells me "why didn't you do such and such like i told you?? I was screaming at you!!!!" Please tell me i'm not the only one that tunes out EVERYTHING except the horse and the jumps??

supershorty628
May. 17, 2009, 02:31 PM
I do that too. I don't hear anything except for the buzzer when I am on course.

Jaegermonster
May. 17, 2009, 02:50 PM
It's called auditory exclusion. It's a fairly common occurrence when folks are under stress, and stress can be both good and bad.

Hunter Mom
May. 17, 2009, 02:53 PM
I believe it is called finding your flow. :cool: Check out the books on Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. Fascinating man, too. Basically, it is where you are so focused on what you're doing you shut out all other stimuli. I find mine when I ride, too.

IsolaBella09
May. 17, 2009, 02:58 PM
"Not now chief i'm in the f***ing zone."
:lol::lol::lol:

Tuesday's Child
May. 17, 2009, 03:13 PM
IsolaBella09 - HAHAHA :lol::lol::lol:

enjoytheride
May. 17, 2009, 03:21 PM
My first trainer thought I was ignoring her and eventually we parted ways. My current trainer realizes I am stressed and will say my name then have me look at her in the eyes.

superpony123
May. 17, 2009, 05:18 PM
same! often times if i'm in a classic, i'll come out of the ring and have to ask the steward what my score was, because i didn't hear it. they'll usually look at me kind of funny, cause the PA might be really loud and clear :lol:

superpony123
May. 17, 2009, 05:19 PM
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.

holy cow now that is a mouthful of a name! how do you even pronounce his last name? :D 100 pts for anyone who can write it out phonetically !

Pony+ an inch
May. 17, 2009, 05:27 PM
I'm actually deaf in one ear and this has caused more problems than I care to elaborate on, but that aside, when I get in the ring, I get incredibly focussed and normally do not like having people talking to me outside the ring or in warmup because it breaks my concentration and bad things happen (like not looking where I'm going. or completely missing the jump (true story)). Best thing to do is be upfront with any trainer you're riding with and say "I'll do my best to listen while on course, but if there's anything major, tell me now or after I'm done."

rugbygirl
May. 17, 2009, 05:33 PM
Based on comments I've heard from the rail while showing or doing a clinic, most people seem to think that either the rider is deaf, or that they (the commenters) are in a cone of silence.

:mad:

I hear most of what gets said as I go around, I am used to tuning in during lessons for my instructor. It doesn't distract me from my task, but I have honest-to-God diagnosed ADHD. It is better for me to concentrate on a few things simultaneously.

fair judy
May. 17, 2009, 05:41 PM
the entire world could have been on fire and i wouldn't have heard a thing:)

as a trainer, i had to always remember to keep my big mouth shut while my kids were in the ring. except at local shows, i think it is bad form to give clinics from the in gate. it isn't a lesson, and at that point it is...... well, pointless. maybe a simple "sit up", but not much more........

i know a few judges who really really do not like it. one in particular comes to mind...... "We Don't Cluck....."

precious
May. 17, 2009, 06:05 PM
couldn't agree more fair judy! Save the riding lesson for at home or at least the schooling ring, but even that's annoying1 I hear these "trainers" shouting instructions at the rail and in the schooling area. It's a sign of poor prepartion, and even poorer professsionalism! I could go on forever, but i'll shut up for now!

Hunter Mom
May. 17, 2009, 09:17 PM
holy cow now that is a mouthful of a name! how do you even pronounce his last name? :D 100 pts for anyone who can write it out phonetically !

chick-sent-me-high-ee. "The Flow-Meister" is much easier, though. He does a lot of work with a group I do a lot of work with. Hungarian, but now at the University of Chicago.

Flow is something that dancers, musicians, artists and athletes often find. When you're in your flow, you do not really hear much of anything going on around you, nor do you see much that isn't related to what you're doing. It is as though the rest of the world ceases to exist and all you are aware of is what you're doing.

Aerial
May. 17, 2009, 10:02 PM
i also don't like people giving a lesson in the ingate, and did not mean to convey that my trainer does that. usually she says like one thing and only if it's major. like "SIT UP AND COLLECT HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" haha i do hear that occasionally but usually i'm off in my own little world lol.

Quartergirl
May. 18, 2009, 09:48 AM
This post is funny to me because I can tune in to my trainer's voice and hear it from what seems like miles away. Although she does not instruct me while she is in the ring if I am coming around by her I can hear the discussion she is having with the person next to her on the rail. I also hear her voice in my head all day. "Thumbs up, close you hip angle, straighten your wrists and the list goes on.!"

fair judy
May. 18, 2009, 09:53 AM
no Caps!!! :lol: sotto voce, only. riders have to take control and own their trips. the trainer is only an observer once you enter the ring. psychologically, and in learning theory, no one can really take in more than three complete concepts in the short interlude in the ingate.

pet peeve. i had two guys helping me in my (SHORT) return to the ring. they had completely different styles. i really preferred one to the other. i finally had to tell them that they had to prioritize their comments, and consolidate the chatter. as a rider you have that right, and responsibility to constructively inform your trainer of the efforts are more of a distraction than a help.

JumpWithPanache
May. 18, 2009, 10:00 AM
I will tune out spectator noises when I go into the ring in order to concentrate on my job. If I'm looking for guidance from a coach/designated observer I will make a point of looking them in the eye and listening to their advise as I come around the corner. For the kids I teach, I try not to speak to them unless they have sought out my eye contact. I feel that until the individual riding is cognizant of looking for their coach, then they will not be cognizant of hearing the coach. Not sure if I'm making sense, but that's the way I approach ring-side coaching.

meupatdoes
May. 18, 2009, 11:41 AM
I remember one lesson where I was riding through a gymnastic combination.

Trainer said, "Whoa," then, "Whooa,", then, "WHOA", then "I SAID WHOA WHY DIDN'T YOU LISTEN."

Only after the combination was done did I turn my ears back on.
I had heard every "Whoa" but I was so busy riding that I 'set aside' each one for later, and then on the stride going away I was like, "Oh, three whoas. Check. Yeah, those woulda helped."

fordtraktor
May. 18, 2009, 12:11 PM
I don't hear a thing when on course. Once at Culpeper the train went by blowing its horn. When I got out my trainer commented on how good my horse had been not to pay any attention to the train. Huh, what train?! I had no idea.

I get in the "zone," but it doesn't matter -- I don't want a trainer that is going to yell at me while I am actually showing. Not my learning style.

The only exception is when I zone out before the bell rings. It is nice if someone wakes me from my competition reverie to remind me the bell went off. ;)

brightwhitestockings
May. 18, 2009, 06:41 PM
you're not the only one ;)

i used to have this problem really bad with my old horse, who made me pretty nervous, but im a lot better with the horse i have now.

HunterEquJumper
May. 18, 2009, 11:56 PM
It's the "Hunter Hair"! Need I say more? :lol:

Individualblue07
May. 19, 2009, 03:43 PM
That reminds me of the last show I was at!!! I was over at the WEF Main Grounds... and holy crap... was it windy!!! I was in the ring for my flat, and when they would announce for us to do anything... If you were in the back of the ring, you would have no idea whats going on until you see the other riders picking up their canter or walking... It is ridiculous...