PDA

View Full Version : Any other ADULTS ride ponies or pony-sized horses?

TheJenners
May. 17, 2009, 03:28 AM
I'm looking at getting a Paint or more likely Paint-cross pony mare. She's a strawberry roan, full white face and her rear socks come up nearly to the stifle in the front. Current owner knows this: mare was bought in Ocala for $28K doing the pony divisions and was carded, but she doesn't know the name. Current owner has had her shown at rated shows, but not with junior riders so has done Long Stirrup, etc.

Mare is shod, and I was told with shoes she is just a hair over 14.2 but barefoot she is under. I don't care that much since I'm well past pony divisions. But I was wondering if any other adults ride pony-sized horses and show? I won't be showing very high or even rated for a while since I haven't ridden much in the last couple of years...but she's a nice mare, quiet and sane and something that can go a week without being ridden and won't kill me.

Here she is (http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/ReplacementUsername/Pinky.png) being warmed up at a rated show, not ridden by me.
Here she is (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=355698170&albumID=1059679&imageID=11707871#a=1059679&i=11707871) with me. I'm a little over 5'3''.

mep0726
May. 17, 2009, 10:00 AM
The picture of you on her was a little too dark for me to tell, but from the distance, you looked like you fit her fine.

I'm 4'10" and my horse is 15.1, and everyone thinks that my horse is much bigger when they see me riding him from a distance (not next to other horses) because my tiny size makes him look bigger.

ETA: My horse and I show in the adult division (2'9") and do just fine. Our only problem related to his size is probably getting down the lines, especially if the lines are set long.

Noctis
May. 17, 2009, 10:15 AM
I ride ponies all the time...and I'm NOT pony sized! My current horse is..well we're not sure what she'll end up being, but right now she's 14.1 but with a deep barrel (I'm 5'4 with a thicker build). I also ride a smaller (in height, but thick strong build) medium that we're bringing along, and while I look like a dork, he's a nice ride. If its what fits you, ride it! I'd rather a pony than a larger horse any day of the week :)

lilypondlane
May. 17, 2009, 10:16 AM
I have a 15 h Trak/SWB mare (might stick 15.1 with shoes) who is ridden by an adult amateur who is just over 5' tall. They have shown very successfully at the rated shows, where the little mare beats the Big Boys regularly. One added benefit to her diminutive size is that she is extremely handy -- she's a Pocket Rocket. I think you will find yourself in good company on your little horse.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
May. 17, 2009, 10:20 AM
I don't show yet, but I'm considering it with my little paint pony. He's 14 hh and I'm 5'9", so I'm replying because I'm interested in the subject. Quanah and I would only do little local schooling shows - nothing as ambitious as what you probably have in mind.:)

You certainly don't look too big on her. She's lovely.:)

eventchic33
May. 17, 2009, 10:24 AM
I am 5'9 and I am currently showing a 13.1h pony. He is lots of fun. I just crank my stirrups up and off we go.

Come Shine
May. 17, 2009, 10:30 AM
My 13.3 pinto pony and I (5'3" older ammy) beat the pants off the 'real' horses at some of of the benefit shows we have been at. She is a blast to ride, personality out the wazoo, and out the trailer into the ring. Jumping 2'6" - 3', it's hard to beat a nice pony because they jump that height better than a bigger horse. Have fun!

Horseymama
May. 17, 2009, 10:30 AM
I'm 5'4" and ride a hony who is 15.1. She has a big stride and gets down the lines just fine. She is actually one of the best horses I've ever had...forward, super dispo, great work ethic, balanced, smart, calm, never marish, the list could go on! Here she is with me: Romantica Z (http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=77205&id=664639190&l=9be0c6df7a)

I personally love riding small horses, I feel more in control! ;) I'm not super short (yet I'm not tall), but riding big horses makes me feel like a peanut. I always prefer them smaller. 15.1-16.2 is the range I look for.

Tamara in TN
May. 17, 2009, 10:34 AM
currently,when there time allows, I ride an 7(or 8??) yo 13.1 seal brown daughter of my Welsh Pony Stallion Pecan Creek's Rock n Roll....her brother took 13th this last Pony Final in large greens....another brother is a Dragons Lair pony who does the pony club scene...his name escapes me....and her grey aunt's pulled the Disney cinderella carriage in FL for years...

I'm 5'6.5"...

I'd like to say we are doing majikal things and persuing lofty goals....

buuuuttttttt....we're not....;) we just kick and go around the farm here....:)

best

kisstherain
May. 17, 2009, 11:35 AM
But I was wondering if any other adults ride pony-sized horses and show?

I do! I'm 5'2" and ride a medium pony. We show on the Welsh circuit, not at rated shows, so there are lots of adults on ponies. I was going to show her at some of our local rated shows a few years ago, but I just didn't have the time to do so.

I'm sure there would have been some snickers and stares at the site of me, in my 30s, on a medium pony at a rated show, which is fine with me...how else are you suppose to get greenish ponies out there? If I had a large pony, especially one at 14.2, I wouldn't give a second thought to showing against the horses at rated shows.

kisstherain
May. 17, 2009, 11:36 AM
I always prefer them smaller. 15.1-16.2 is the range I look for.

Am I the only one who thinks of a horse over 16.0 as big?

rupenthal2
May. 17, 2009, 11:41 AM
I love my ponies. I am 5'6" and have several mediums. Although, we are not showing, we still have fun. I say ride what makes you happy. Now, my son is 6'1" and he rides a 17.2 hand dutch warmblood. I have to admit I don't have the nerve to sit up quite that high!!

adelmo95
May. 17, 2009, 11:58 AM
Currently I have a project pony who will be competing in both dressage and jumpers this year, and I just traded my 16.3 plus hand thoroughbred mare for a 14.2 hand 3 year old as I find that I much prefer riding ponies.

Daventry
May. 17, 2009, 12:19 PM
I'm 5'3 1/2" and train/show ponies for a living. I regularly show them in both dressage and hunters against the TBs and warmbloods and often end up beating them. In Canada, adult amateurs are allowed to show ponies on the A Circuit in the Adult Amateur Division but I show all mine in the unrated ring so they don't break their green status. I'd much prefer to ride the little "sports cars" than the 17 handers I used to show all of the time. Below are a few photos of our ponies showing with me riding.

superpony123
May. 17, 2009, 12:31 PM
im 17, but i'm 5' and done growing. I'm a tiny thing. I can fit on the smalls. I plan to buy a hony after college, and maybe show in the adult ammies or something. a just-a-hair-over-14.2 hony, even by a nice breeder, is generally VERY cheap compared to its preferably-sized relatives. Heck, if I could get an overgrown Brighton pony or something that'd be cheap, why wouldn't i?

Anywho, I think anything over 15.3 hands is huge :D
I rode a 16 hand mare once. (ive ridden horses up to 17.2 hands but they were always very very good horses) She was 4 yrs old and green. Sale horse. Trainer threw me on her, cause she has been quiet. I rode her when the arena was empty (cept for me and trainer of course) and she was an ANGEL. i loved this horse. She didnt feel huge to me because she was very narrow, though her canter did feel large (of course) it didnt feel crazy huge, i could handle it. Until I rode her the next day with several other horses in the arena, and the mare freaked out at everything..well THEN she felt huge :D:lol:

mypaintwattie
May. 17, 2009, 12:49 PM
I love the 14.2 to 16.0 range. Anything over that is too big! I'm 5'4" and love my paint mare, she is about 15.1, we fit perfectly together. I've always been drawn toward the smaller ones- I guess because they are so much lower to the ground!

TheJenners
May. 17, 2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone!

I like the mare and I'm 90 percent sure I'm getting her. I only got to ride her once, but I enjoyed grooming her and she seemed like a quiet quiet quiet mare. Some of you may have heard my tale of sorrow and misfortune in losing my first and forever mare in August, then finally admitting that fighting with my gorgeous, stunning, talented, fiery and loving homebred prospect was the opposite of what I needed after that loss. Sobbing at the barn is a bad way to go, so I left her alone for a few months before deciding to send her down to be sold in Feb and took a break. I slowly started looking again about a month ago, just sort of sorting out what I wanted...decided I did not want an Arab or Arab cross, since Aisha had been an Arab. Thought at first I wanted a big 'un, since I had been a pony rider at my old barn. Then found myself oogling another COTHer's ponies on her Web site. Heard about this mare, heard she's calm with a been there, done that way of going, experienced enough to cart me around since other than attempting to get the prospect started, I haven't ridden in a while and while she may not have a burning personality just yet, that's okay too. She seemed interested in me in a quiet way while I groomed. I even jumped on her after not even being sure I'd remember how to canter. So it'll also be a confidence-booster after having it wrecked by the other mare.

HARROLDhasmyheart
May. 17, 2009, 01:08 PM
I used to ride a pony! I'm 19 and 5' (was 15 and 16 at the time) but haven't grown in years. Summer is a large, probably a bit under 14.2. Here's a few pictures:

First class at my first show: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30000974&l=96e1a28684&id=1044030002

First lesson on the pony: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30000976&l=07edd63889&id=1044030002

Jumping in a lesson: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30001019&l=0d7a037b61&id=1044030002

FlashGordon
May. 17, 2009, 01:13 PM
TJ she is adorable and she sounds like a fun, willing, sane partner to help you get back into the swing of things.

Why must I be 5'9?!? I <3 ponies.

Enjoy her, and post lots of pics! ;)

TheJenners
May. 17, 2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks Flash. Hopefully yes, it'll all work out.

showponies
May. 17, 2009, 02:03 PM
Here is another, yes you can ride a pony! I think wayyyyy to many small people ride wayyyyy to big of horses. I breed and show pony hunters, with the mind set of wanting some of them to go to adults.....I have a few of my favorite big horses still around, but I am riding mostly the ponies......

erinwillow
May. 17, 2009, 02:24 PM
OMG! 100% supporter of Adults and properly suited ponies:winkgrin: Of course, the Connemara is the best pony for adult riders, duh ;-) but I promise you that any properly suited pony for you will be an absolute blast to ride, to love and to keep. Make sure that attitude, personality, and leg room match up well and ..voila! the best ride of your life!

erinwillow
May. 17, 2009, 02:27 PM
TJenners,

I just noticed that you are from Whidbey Island! That is pretty cool as that is where our stallion was born! His registered name is: Landsdown Willow's Harbour Boy (the Harbour for the one out by you!!). The farm was Landsdown Connemaras :-)

TheJenners
May. 17, 2009, 02:42 PM
I couldn't find any mention of the farm with a quick Google search; it is still around? That would be awesome, as I'm a huge Connie fan myself. Here is my favorite fella ever, last I heard he was doing hunters somewhere...

Tini Sea Soldier
May. 17, 2009, 02:52 PM
I own a small horse whom we always said was patiently waiting for the extra-large pony hunter division that was never approved.

My investments have always been medium or large ponies.

I showed a few ponies while I was doing the AA's on my horse, too. We normally did the schooling hunters (since I didn't want to break their green)... or the pre-prelim jumpers.

I'm an adult ammy who is about 5'1 and 110-115lbs... so when it comes to working with babies...I just fit and ride baby ponies better. I also seem to have a better connection with them.

Riding one now that's a large pony mare.

I still ride the giant beasties from time to time... but I'm partial to the midgets.

erinwillow
May. 17, 2009, 02:58 PM
I couldn't find any mention of the farm with a quick Google search; it is still around? That would be awesome, as I'm a huge Connie fan myself. Here is my favorite fella ever, last I heard he was doing hunters somewhere...

Good question. . I'm not sure if they're still into horses or not. .hm. . if I remember, the last name was Thacker and the wife (pony woman) was Kay. Lovely couple and of course, lovely ponies! Best of luck in your search I very much encourage you into "ponydom"

magicteetango
May. 17, 2009, 03:10 PM
Only 4'10", and love the ponies! Now my two mares are 15.3, and 15.2 but if I could shrink them, I would! I used to have bigger horses, but I really never felt comfortable. I'm almost all torso, so it was very difficult to wrap around them to be secure.

I love ponies, and I think many people (used to be me too!), get way too big of horses. Have fun with her TJ, we need lots of photos when she comes home!

theroanypony
May. 17, 2009, 03:18 PM
In August, I'll be an adult and I'll still be riding ponies. I'm just under 5'2" and really petite, so I can fit larges and mediums pretty well. Smalls are a bit of a stretch, but I can get away with schooling them. I have a really short upper body, so I just don't feel comfortable on a horse. My large pony and I do the long stirrup 2'3", but next year we'll possibly be moving up to the adult equitation (2'9).

This is me and my large;
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2218/39/86/765875322/n765875322_5524928_9184.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs039.snc1/2494_128216255322_765875322_5757851_6234_n.jpg

lol just for kicks, this is me on a small;
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1020/39/86/765875322/n765875322_4849480_5596.jpg

TheJenners
May. 17, 2009, 06:23 PM
Well, I'm not petite unlike some of you guys. I'm 5'3.5'', but I'm not "thin" and I also lift a lot of weights (job safety for me), so I generally tip the scale at 130-135. And I'm a long-legged rider; here I am on a wide 15.1/15.2 horse:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=431960&id=1281017695

((Please please please no comments about the bit...I was also :eek: when I saw it, but it was a borrowed mount and that's what he is used to trail riding in.))

Noctis
May. 17, 2009, 07:31 PM
You're smaller than I am by quite a bit (particularly right now...darn baby weight, granted baby is only 4 wks old lol)...no worries! And I look just fine on thicker ponies :) I say go for it!

leelee
May. 17, 2009, 09:09 PM
I'm 5'8 adult and will be showing a 14 1/2 hand pony before the kid gets on to show. This year will be the pony's first year showing and, until he becomes a bit more trustworthy, I'll have to do it.

TheJenners
May. 17, 2009, 09:31 PM
OK everyone, thanks. My 90 percent has been bumped to 100. It helps that I'll be "boarding" with a good buddy of mine. Granted he's a dyed-in-the-wool cowboy and makes fun of English stuff, but he and I agree on horse care, he has an arena, and it's a short ride to my old trainer's place down the road!

HowDoILook
May. 17, 2009, 09:33 PM
Im on the same boat as theroanypony. In September ill be an adult on a large pony. The only thin that probably seperates me from everyone here riding ponies is im 5'8". But i dont look terrible on him... but im barely 115 lbs. I ride a lot of the green ponies at my barn, even the 11 hh small that is a little PIA. I show my pony in the Larges and in the 15-17 Eq and Junior Medals. Hopefully next year he will find himself a little short stirrup rider so he can have a break.

Me on my pony:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=30219093&id=1109521135
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30388662&id=1109521135#/photo.php?pid=30388664&id=1109521135

Me on the small:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1109521135&v=photos&so=45#/photo.php?pid=1362681&op=4&o=global&view=global&subj=1109521135&id=660644729

I definatly think I look better on a big horse though:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1109521135&v=photos&so=30#/photo.php?pid=394160&op=3&o=global&view=global&subj=1109521135&id=1306044181

Hunter Mom
May. 17, 2009, 09:33 PM
While I think it depends greatly on the horse and the rider, I prefer larger horses myself. My girl is only 15.1, and if she wasn't wide, there is NO way I'd look ok on her. Thankfully, she takes up my leg well. I'm 5'7", with a 32" inseam, so I have to have somewhere to put my leg. I do also sometimes school ride DD's 14.1 1/2 HH pony, who is quite round. While I don't look awful on her, it isn't the picture I want, either.

My next horse will be at least 16.2, and can't be a skinny little thing. As a fluffy rider, I have to have something to offset my butt. I guess I prefer the big ones.

Simrat
May. 18, 2009, 02:42 AM
I'm nearly 5'9" with a 34" inseam and none of my horses are over 14 hands. Here I am on my, then stallion, since gelded, Spanish Mustang (or Colonial Spanish Horse as they are also known).

http://akalranch.com/Paisano/images/070922-9368web.jpg

I don't know how much I will show him myself. I'm taking him back from a failed sale in a month and will be reschooling him to lease. I'm not good at the selling part, so I figure that I will just keep him.
:winkgrin:

My mare is a bit more stocky, so I fit her better. No recent photos on her though, as she is due July 1.

I'm glad that you are up to 100% on the mare. She looks lovely!

oharabear
May. 18, 2009, 03:38 AM
Not to hijack, but is riding ponies something one just has to get used to? I am 5'2" and have an adorable, sweet, amazingly talented (and dainty and refined) medium pony who I HATE riding. It just completely freaks me out. I feel like all she has to do is stumble, or spook sideways and I'm coming right off.

I was having a teeny tiny friend of mine come out and school her for me (pony is still quite green), but friend has a new boyfriend and I haven't seen her lately. So I'm left to school the pony myself, and I'm ashamed to admit that she's currently enjoying hanging out in her paddock with an occasional lunge session.

Is riding a pony something that you have to get used to? I've never even cantered her (too chicken). I can't even imagine taking her to a show (even though so far she's been a saint- truly my own mental block).

SO jealous of you pony-riders! Can I send my pony to you guys?? ;)

SarahandSam
May. 18, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'm a 4'10" adult with a 14.1 quarter horse. I love ponies and honies. When I have to ride a big horse in my lessons, I feel like I'm atop an elephant...