PDA

View Full Version : T-sport wrap vs. Eskadron Climatex Polos

Jumper6252
May. 17, 2009, 12:07 AM
I want to get a nice pair of polos with good support for my horse and I like the t-sport wraps becaue I have the t-boots that I love. But I have also heard good things about the climatex polos eskadron makes. So what do you guys prefer? Thanks!

Pirateer
May. 18, 2009, 01:32 PM
Also consider the Saratoga bandages.

But please, dear god, if you can't wrap, do not use ANY of them. Ack. (Not directed at YOU, OP, just the general populace....)

touchstone-
May. 18, 2009, 02:06 PM
Why not just get ordinary polos? Both brands you mention seem pretty pricey for the job they do.

Equus_girl
May. 18, 2009, 02:51 PM
Considering that polo wraps do not provide any support save the money for something worthy :)

perfecta11
May. 18, 2009, 10:55 PM
Go with the T-Sport wraps - they are much nicer in my opinion. The horses' legs stay much cooler, they offer more support (but you've got to know how to wrap well), and they're a lot less bulky.

gg4918
May. 18, 2009, 10:56 PM
T Sport Wraps..

EqStarGurl11
May. 19, 2009, 12:03 PM
T-Sport Wraps. I have a pair and they work really well. They really support the horse's legs and they keep the horse's legs cool. They are pricey, but they are worth the cost, and they are better definitely than regular polo wraps.

Jumper6252
May. 20, 2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the input! I think I'll go with the t-sport wraps. And to those who said that polo's have no support I strongly disagree. They are very supportive.

hoops04
May. 21, 2009, 02:17 AM
they are supportive, but a good pair of boots has better support than polos wraps, evet the fancy shmancy over priced polos!

foursocks
May. 21, 2009, 10:11 AM
Well, honestly, polos don't do much- they aren't elastic enough, I think. I use them only in the winter when it is very cold simply to help warm up the tendons, but I don't jump in them.

I really like my T-sports because they keep the legs cool and tight and don't put rubs on my horse's legs like his boots. But for more serious protection and better support, a good set of boots is the way to go.

I tried to use the T-sport liners under the wraps, thinking that would provide a more boot-like outcome- but my horse's legs looked like they had pillow wraps on. Anyone had any luck with the liners?

KaterasEqGirl
May. 21, 2009, 12:00 PM
I have both and I prefer the Eskadrons because I feel like they fit better. Maybe it is because I use liners underneath my T Wraps. I have found that the T Wraps fall down too if you use the liners underneath, but I'm not going to wrap with out them

touchstone-
May. 21, 2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the input! I think I'll go with the t-sport wraps. And to those who said that polo's have no support I strongly disagree. They are very supportive.

What do you mean by "supportive"?

Equus_girl
May. 21, 2009, 12:13 PM
As foursocks correctly stated, polo wraps came from race track, serving only purpose- to warm up tendons, as racing people are notorious for getting on and galloping :) You cannot really believe that piece fabric will support tendons of 1200 lbs animal, do you? There is a bunch of research online proving that nothing can provide as much support as correct horse maintenance, health, body conditioning, warming up and good footing.
Boots provide protection against knocks, forging, brushing and all the fun stuff, but again there is not much support there...

I think its just us, poor horse owners and riders, not used to seeing "bare horse legs" My last trainer would not even let you into arena if your horse wasnt wearing boots.
Me, being a hypocrite, of course, use white polos of ornamental purpose, you can never underestimate the value of white dressage pad and white polos :) I have Lami Cell type, where first half is regular fleece and second is stretchy elastic. Escadron open front and splint boots for jumping and turnout.

Nevertheless, let us know how they work out for you. A lot of things I tried on Pooksey were making his legs sweat badly, which makes him more prone to injuries and these half wraps seem to keep him cool.

luvs2ridewbs
May. 21, 2009, 03:38 PM
Whenever I hear the whole "polo wraps don't provide any support" I start to think about all the athletes that tape their ankles or all of the olympic athletes that had that medical tape on their muscles. And I know that if I play tennis with nothing on my ankles, I will go "lame" very rapidly but with tape I will play fine and recover fine. I feel it is the same with horses.

touchstone-
May. 21, 2009, 03:56 PM
Whenever I hear the whole "polo wraps don't provide any support" I start to think about all the athletes that tape their ankles or all of the olympic athletes that had that medical tape on their muscles. And I know that if I play tennis with nothing on my ankles, I will go "lame" very rapidly but with tape I will play fine and recover fine. I feel it is the same with horses.

I am not an expert on this, but I can think of a lot of reasons why it's not "the same" with horses. The relavant anatomy--and the supposed function of the wrap--are completely different. In the case of a horse, you're trying to prevent the fetlock from lowering too much, which is really pretty different from trying to provide lateral stability to a human ankle.

luvs2ridewbs
May. 21, 2009, 04:00 PM
true its not going to keep the fetlock from over extending but it will aid in pulling the fetlock back into place, lessening fatigue in the leg.
I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm just saying that I think wraps may have added benefit over boots. But until very comprehensive scientific studies are done, all we can do is speculate the wrap v. boot conundrum. :)

Words of Wisdom
May. 21, 2009, 06:51 PM
Haven't tried the T-Sport wraps, but I have and very much like the Eskadron Climatex ones, and have found that my horses' legs are tighter at the end of the day if they've jumped with the Eskadron wraps instead of a pair of boots.

Pirateer
May. 21, 2009, 07:05 PM
I am not an expert on this, but I can think of a lot of reasons why it's not "the same" with horses. The relavant anatomy--and the supposed function of the wrap--are completely different..

Exactly. You don't see people wrapping hocks (ankles) or knees (wrists). You see the equivalent of wrapping middle fingers. My middle finger gets a big workout usually, but not enough to need wrapped. :D