PDA

View Full Version : Hunter braids...can you stretch them for two days?

Swale01
May. 16, 2009, 06:36 PM
Next weekend will be the first show I'm at with my horse where we should probably be braided for 2 days in a row. One friend of mine thinks I need to take the braids out and re-braid, and the other thinks I could put his 'sleezy' on overnight and save them. Anyone have experience or advice on this? WWYD?

Lucassb
May. 16, 2009, 06:41 PM
You can probably get away with it if your horse is not inclined to rub, but it's not ideal.

Personally I take the braids out as soon as we are finished for the day, for the horse's comfort and to save the mane. In the greater scheme of things, braiding is not a huge expense and I am happy to have it re-done the next day so they look neat and tidy (and most of all, to keep my horse as comfortable as possible.)

bluetiger
May. 16, 2009, 06:43 PM
Take them out

Punkie
May. 16, 2009, 06:45 PM
The only time I really leave braids in is if I had a very late class the day before (and they were braided later in the day) and a very early one the next day. Otherwise, I take them out and have them re-done. Of course, if your horse has very little mane and you risk losing more than would be reasonable by taking them out and putting them back in (we have a few like that at the barn), you might consider just leaving them if they aren't one to rub.

Nes
May. 16, 2009, 06:47 PM
You can get away with it if you do a VERY good job on them; just make sure you leave some extra time the morning of day 2 incase you need to re-do one or two. Really depending on the level you're competing at - I'd re-do them. You can always pay someone, they usually aren't too expensive and are quick if you find someone good.

superpony123
May. 16, 2009, 06:55 PM
If your horse can tolerate that (if it wont make him cranky, if he wont rub, etc) and if the braider/you does a VERY good job on the braids, yes, you can put a sleazy/"pj's" on him, and they should stay put (dont forget to spray them a little with hair spray). I do it occasionally, but never for more than 1 night in a row. I try to avoid it whenever possible, as i like to make my pony as comfy as can be.

kashmere
May. 16, 2009, 08:16 PM
Even if you can get away with leaving them in overnight, I don't think it's a great idea. Your horse works hard for you all day long at a show, she deserves a comfy night off afterwards.

Think of it this way-- what's the first thing we do when we're at home/in the hotel room after a show? Show clothes off! nice warm bath, soak away all the memories of tight waistbands and sportsbras and ten million bobby pins holding us together, and then into comfy PJs.

I wouldn't be able to feel good about leaving my lady's braids in while I was cozy in sweats. She works just as hard (harder) than I do. It's pretty basic horsemanship.

Hunter Mom
May. 16, 2009, 08:20 PM
I have left them in, but only when it was a late day followed by an early morning. My girl doesn't rub, so it was fine. I took them out as soon as we were done. They didn't, however, look as good as they did on day 1. She is much happier without them being left in.

SquishTheBunny
May. 16, 2009, 10:03 PM
I leave them in!

I know, most people dont.... I braid myself to save a little $, do a good tight job and put a sleezy on him overnight. My horse is great, he doesnt bother with them at all! I take the forelock braid out, I always think leaving that in gives them a headache, but the mane braids dont seem to bother him. His tail gets put in just before he shows, and since he no longer has any tail hairs on his dock...we go sans braiding :(

PNWjumper
May. 16, 2009, 10:28 PM
So I will preface this by saying that I'm not a hunter princess, nor have I ever been one (I did the hunters as a kid as a means to getting to the jumper ring :winkgrin:)....

But we ALWAYS used to leave our braids in for 2 days in a row. I used to braid my own horse and had a tough time getting up at 4am (or earlier) to get the braiding done on top of riding all of the horses for my trainer at shows. And then when I got older (out of college) my mom made me braid her horse and any of her friends' horses that needed braiding at shows (which is called "revenge parenting") for free. It just about killed me, being out of practice. So I braided every other day and just repaired braids in the morning. With that being said, none of the horses were particularly sensitive to having braids in, and we always took out the forelock over night.

Now that I'm at yet another stage of my life, I take braids out overnight and just pay someone to braid each day. But I have all jumpers with only an occaisional hunter here and there, so it's not a major expense or a frequent situation to be in.

So I guess that's my way of saying...."yes, you can leave them in for 2 days, but take what I have to say with a grain of salt since I'm a jumper-only person" :lol:

mypaintwattie
May. 16, 2009, 10:51 PM
I leave braids or bands in routinely overnight. For many local shows I band or braid the evening before since I will have to load up early the next morning, my horse always wears a sleazy after her "pre-show bath", and does not rub them out.

Jumper6252
May. 16, 2009, 10:51 PM
If your horse doesn't rub and they are good braids then they should be okay. I've done it before when I'm showing late one day and early the next.

LetsRide
May. 16, 2009, 11:27 PM
MAKE sure you DO NOT EVER leave a braided tail in over night. Good way to lose a tail. Braided manes can go over night with a sleazy on. :)

gottagrey
May. 16, 2009, 11:28 PM
there are few people who do braids well enough to leave them in overnight - there are few horses that won't destroy them overnight - no matter how great of a job you do:lol:

mep0726
May. 16, 2009, 11:39 PM
For a one-day show, I normally braid the night before and put a sleazy on. However, I don't braid the forelock or the tail until that morning.

For a multi day show, I always braid forelock and tail in the AM and let them down after our last class. If the braids in his mane look all right, I'll leave them in overnight, as my horse is not inclined to rub. However, I rarely leave them in for more than one night.

ChiliPepper09
May. 17, 2009, 12:36 AM
We almost always leave the braids in for 2 days and never have a problem. Mine is even a rubber, but with the sleezy he is fine.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 17, 2009, 12:50 AM
Have you ever tried scratching the base of your horse's neck when he has braids in? You know, dug your fingernails in to see how much he appreciates having that itch scratched after a few hours of having braids? Mine sticks his tongue out of the side of his mouth and rolls his eyes back in his head because it feels so good.

This tells me his braids are uncomfortable. Why do you think tricks like spraying chloraseptic on the base of the neck exist? Because braids are itchy, and often painful when they are "tight enough to stay in overnight". It's like sleeping in rollers- but you can't explain to your horse why you're making him deal with that.

There are so many things that make our horses uncomfortable/out of sorts at extended horse shows. We throw them off A LOT by taking them "out of their element" in order to go to the horse show. No turnout (most of the time, or at least crappy turnout if it's there), no familiar surroundings, no familiar sounds/sights/jumps/routine. It's our job to make them as comfortable as possible when we take them away from what they know. They trust us enough to care for them to the best of our ability. If this means paying the extra $$ to have them rebraided the next day, it's little cost in regards to the happiness of the guys that carry us safely in and out of the gate.

If it's a financial constraint to have the horse braided twice, it might be beneficial to ask your braider if he/she could teach you for a little extra money. Of course it takes practice, but it DOES save money in the long run to do it your self. And I don't care who says their horse doesn't rub- it still feels better to have a loose mane at night, and makes the experience just a tad less uncomfortable.

Go Fish
May. 17, 2009, 01:14 AM
I will leave braids in overnight on my gelding because he could care less. He doesn't itch and he doesn't rub. Heck, I don't even have to put a sleazy on. The braids will be absolutely perfect in the morning.

My mare is a different story...her braids have to come out EVERY night or she wouldn't have any mane left in the morning.

I think it depends on the horse...

Whimsically Smart
May. 17, 2009, 01:35 AM
Have you ever tried scratching the base of your horse's neck when he has braids in? You know, dug your fingernails in to see how much he appreciates having that itch scratched after a few hours of having braids? Mine sticks his tongue out of the side of his mouth and rolls his eyes back in his head because it feels so good.

This tells me his braids are uncomfortable. Why do you think tricks like spraying chloraseptic on the base of the neck exist? Because braids are itchy, and often painful when they are "tight enough to stay in overnight". It's like sleeping in rollers- but you can't explain to your horse why you're making him deal with that.

There are so many things that make our horses uncomfortable/out of sorts at extended horse shows. We throw them off A LOT by taking them "out of their element" in order to go to the horse show. No turnout (most of the time, or at least crappy turnout if it's there), no familiar surroundings, no familiar sounds/sights/jumps/routine. It's our job to make them as comfortable as possible when we take them away from what they know. They trust us enough to care for them to the best of our ability. If this means paying the extra $$ to have them rebraided the next day, it's little cost in regards to the happiness of the guys that carry us safely in and out of the gate.

If it's a financial constraint to have the horse braided twice, it might be beneficial to ask your braider if he/she could teach you for a little extra money. Of course it takes practice, but it DOES save money in the long run to do it your self. And I don't care who says their horse doesn't rub- it still feels better to have a loose mane at night, and makes the experience just a tad less uncomfortable.

I absolutely agree, with all the hard work your horse puts in for you why not try to make him as comfortable as possible?:yes:

angrychinchillas
May. 17, 2009, 03:07 AM
Y'all are aware that the Quarter Horse and Paint people leave their hunter braids in regularly for 5 days, and sometimes for up to two weeks, aren't you?

They'll be fine, unless your braids are crappy and/or the horse rubs. Yes, you can talk about comfort, and I'm not going to disagree, necessarily . . . But do you really think that your horse is NOT going to scratch an itch when he's all alone in the stall at night, just for the sake of keeping his braids pretty? If he's itchy, he'll rub. If he doesn't rub, I take that as a sign that he doesn't really mind all that much. Horses don't understand the concept of keeping their braids pretty for the show in the morning. :)

Queen Latisha
May. 17, 2009, 09:31 AM
I leave braids in for 2 days and never have a problem.:D

Smiles
May. 17, 2009, 10:57 AM
You'll get the crowd that thinks it "icky" to leave braids in and the crowd that think its fine. If the braider has done their job right and the braids are tight and neat go for it. It always best to leave a hoodie on to keep all the dust and shavings out plus if they do rub the braids won't be affected to much. I will say always take tail braids out.

Midge
May. 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
If the braider has done their job right and the braids are tight and neat go for it..

It is NOT the braider's job to make sure the braids stay in two days. If you get two days out of them, congratulations, if not, don't blame your braider.

fair judy
May. 17, 2009, 05:48 PM
It is NOT the braider's job to make sure the braids stay in two days. If you get two days out of them, congratulations, if not, don't blame your braider.

shaZAM!!!!! you are so right.

i would never, ever leave my horse with his braids in. as a matter of fact i have frequently paid my braider a premium to be sure not to braid the horses who go Late in the day at midnight the night before..........

it is a matter of simple consideration for your horse, IMO. go to bed in your hard hat and see how much you sleep at night.........

Tiffany01
May. 17, 2009, 05:54 PM
I to have a 2day shhow next weekend and I will be leaving my horse's braids in.

kashmere
May. 17, 2009, 06:15 PM
it is a matter of simple consideration for your horse, IMO. go to bed in your hard hat and see how much you sleep at night.........

bears repeating.

MHM
May. 17, 2009, 06:55 PM

Amen! Well said.

SquishTheBunny
May. 17, 2009, 07:20 PM
I think Im a considerate owner.... I leave the braids in overnight. I also haul his butt home so he can get a few hours turnout before or after going back up the next day. I KNOW my horse would rather have a few hours turnout than having the braids out. I have never owned a horse who wasnt a rubber, but the guy I have now would rather go play outside than stand inside on crossties being braided for a second time in 24 hours.

Each horse is different, some cant STAND being braided, and therefore are happier just having it done once over a 2 day show. Others would stand well for braiding and would rather have them out at night.

GallopGirl
May. 18, 2009, 12:39 AM
You can leave them in for two days, but if you have the time/money, re-do them. DO NOT leave in a tail overnight. You can cause circulation issues.