PDA

View Full Version : I HATE Low rise breeches. Surely someone must make hunter breeches w/ a regular waist

Linda
May. 16, 2009, 05:15 PM
HELP! I am looking for breeches with a waist that is actually waist height - not low rise. But that seems to be all that is available these days.

I look HORRIBLE in these supposedly fashionable low waist style of breeches. Sure they may look fine on girls in their teens or early twenties. But Im not one of those!

Im still a very active rider in my 50's and am in good shape but I will not be seen in public in that style! Manufacturers should cater to those of us with money to spend on riding attire. Somehow, they don't seem to have gotten the message that those of us in mid life with careers actually have Money to spend on our riding hobbies! Gee Whiz!

Everyting I see tends to be aimed at the younger set. It is very frustrating!

I have a pair of denim breeches that I've had for about 8 years that are SO comfortable and have a "classic" waist that sits right at waist height. So far I have NOT been able to find anything even close to that fit. I jump so would prefer the hunter style but at this point, would clearly consider full seat if that was all I could find.

Appreciate all your ideas!

Quinn
May. 16, 2009, 05:19 PM
Ariat pro circuit makes both regular height and low rise. I too prefer the regular height. Great pair of breeches, machine wash and dry, still look fabulous after many many shows.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

ADD526
May. 16, 2009, 05:24 PM
im 16 and sooooo prefer the regular rise!!!!!!

tailored sportsman has regular rise in all of their styles as does ariat i believe but im a tailoreds fan myself!

if you want the fun colored tailoreds in regular rise you can order them from farmhousetack.com

Hunter Mom
May. 16, 2009, 05:25 PM
I second the Ariats. Their fabric is nice, too. I believe TS also makes at least one non-low rise model. For schooling, the Cotton Naturals are very comfortable and have full coverage.

Lucassb
May. 16, 2009, 06:56 PM
Tailored Sportsman makes all of their breeches in both regular and low rise; I believe Ariat does the same. You can also get Pikeur breeches in regular and low rise. Personally, being somewhat short waisted the low rise are a godsend for me (as they sit at my actual waist, meaning I don't have the "waistband" of my breeches functioning as a bra...)

norcalammie
May. 16, 2009, 07:00 PM
I wear Trainer's Choice Rene - sit at the waist and wick moisture. Love them although you cannot find them everywhere. Comfortable, wash well and war well. Love them. I think you can find them at VTO Saddlery on line - or try eBay as often there at greatly reduced prices new with tags.

PNWjumper
May. 16, 2009, 07:26 PM
Personally, being somewhat short waisted the low rise are a godsend for me (as they sit at my actual waist, meaning I don't have the "waistband" of my breeches functioning as a bra...)

I'll echo that! "regular waist" breeches sit perilously high on my rib cage. I don't think the low rise breeches are aimed at the younger crowd, just the shorter waisted crowd :)

One thing to think about (with the popularity of low rise breeches these days) is searching for regular rise breeches on E-bay. Sure seem to be a lot of regular waist breeches on there whenever I'm looking for low rise. And, as others have noted, I think all of the breech manufacturers make both low and regular rise.

superpony123
May. 16, 2009, 08:51 PM
i am 17 and much prefer the regular rise too :yes: i mean, i can get away with low rise just fine, i'll wear it if i really want a pair of breeches that dont come in anything with a regular/higher rise (sometimes they do, but i dont feel like special ordering some things, yano?)

however, there are plenty of breeches that come in regular rise. All of the tailored sportsman breeches come in both low and regular rise options. not the cheapest, but theyre great breeches. ariat also makes a few of their breeches with a reg rise option, i believe. i have some kerrits schooling tights that didnt really come in an option, but they are a regular rise. on me, theyre even kind of high, and normally a regular rise only comes up to about my belly button (i have long legs, maybe thats why. it's funny though, cause i've got a short torso. i know plenty of super tall lanky people who claim the reg rise is almost a shelf bra on them, and i have no idea how its possible that theyre fine on me and not on them, but who cares? haha) i also have some cheap sigma and tuffrider ones that are a regular rise. plenty of breeches come in this option.

shawneeAcres
May. 16, 2009, 08:57 PM
I hear ya!! I am VERY long waisted and low rise causes "carpenter crack" on me, which is NOT flattering!!!

Linda
May. 18, 2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all the good ideas.
Will check out ebay - have had some success there before. And will look for TS and Ariats. I really need some good schooling breeches so hope I can find something that fits well and isnt too much $$$.

Pirateer
May. 18, 2009, 12:02 PM
Also, the low-rise can be WAY different depending on the brand.
IMHO, the TS low rise are much more acceptable than the Ariats (Ariats= need trip to get waxed first).

theblondejumper
May. 29, 2009, 11:36 AM
Also, the low-rise can be WAY different depending on the brand.
IMHO, the TS low rise are much more acceptable than the Ariats (Ariats= need trip to get waxed first).

Haha YES! Devon Aire Hipsters are also that way.

I second the Kerrits! I'm wearing their low rise and they are SO comfortable. Seriously I can't wait to buy a few more pairs!!

snaffle635
May. 29, 2009, 11:52 AM
You might want to try low-rise in a Long or Tall. Yes, the legs are a bit longer, but who cares...they're tucked into your socks. I find the Long low-rise is a nice compromise between regular rise and low-rise.

myalter1
May. 29, 2009, 12:07 PM
I'm 33 yrs old, 5"8 and 140 lbs (size 30 long TS) and cannot possibly wear the regular rise any more! They are up around my breasts and make it look like i have male genitals! That being said, i only ride in low rise TS and have never felt that they were too low, or were anywhere near a carpenter crack. this is an interesting thread b/c there are all different ages chiming in and it would be interesting (although i am not asking anyone to disclose their body type) if one body type prefers regular rise over low rise....

Go Fish
May. 29, 2009, 01:33 PM
I'll echo that! "regular waist" breeches sit perilously high on my rib cage. I don't think the low rise breeches are aimed at the younger crowd, just the shorter waisted crowd :)

One thing to think about (with the popularity of low rise breeches these days) is searching for regular rise breeches on E-bay. Sure seem to be a lot of regular waist breeches on there whenever I'm looking for low rise. And, as others have noted, I think all of the breech manufacturers make both low and regular rise.

I think breeches are cut like this on purpose...it's so only your breeches show when your coat flaps in the breeze around course. You don't want your shirt showing.

Luckily, I'm short waisted so if the TS breeches are a bit high, they fit perfectly on me. I love the 4-way, especially the color...a nice light tan.

I think the low-rise were invented for the under 25 crowd who like to wear their jeans low enough so their underwear (whatever type) shows. I'm now seeing "muffin top" with the breech-wearing crowd. Yuk...put on your granny breeches if that's going to happen.

JumpWithPanache
May. 29, 2009, 02:48 PM
I wear both, but certainly prefer the low-rise TS, 28L. I'm 25, 5'6 and 130lb. All of my (lack of) height is in my upper leg, I can comfortably lay my head on my knees to take a nap (have done it on flights to/from Hawaii). The regular rise certainly eliminates any shirt showing beneath my jacket but is extremely uncomfortable because the waistline sits right under my ribcage. The low-rise TS sits right at my bellybutton which is much closer to my actual wait. I agree that the Ariats are cut too low, so I stick with the TS. Anything, breeches, jeans, you-name-it that sit below my hip bones are too low and will not be worn.

Pirateer
May. 29, 2009, 02:50 PM
I wear both, but certainly prefer the low-rise TS, 28L. I'm 25, 5'6 and 130lb. All of my (lack of) height is in my upper leg, I can comfortably lay my head on my knees to take a nap (have done it on flights to/from Hawaii).

You wore breeches to Hawaii?:winkgrin:

JumpWithPanache
May. 29, 2009, 02:57 PM
Naw, but I did get an awesome saddle pad!

TheHorseProblem
May. 29, 2009, 03:34 PM
(Ariats= need trip to get waxed first).
:lol::lol::lol:

But seriously, I have a terrible time finding breeches. Most regular waist breeches are too short in the rise, and the low rise won't stay up on my flat can. Pikeur made one style that fit perfectly, the Cathy. I bought one pair in 2005 the last time I was there, and should have bought more of them. Of course, since then, Pikeur stopped making them. :(

Peggy
May. 29, 2009, 08:16 PM
I have three pairs of the Ariat fawn Pro Circuits (regular rise) that retail for $200+, purchased on eBay for $89. Apparently the fawn color wasn't popular, but it's perfect for schooling. Just do a search on something like Ariat + fawn + ProCircuit + breech. They show up pretty regularly.

Agree with Pirateer about the Ariat low rise. I can live with the TS or the Tuff Rider low rise.

Sheri
Feb. 18, 2016, 05:10 PM
Haha YES! Devon Aire Hipsters are also that way.

I second the Kerrits! I'm wearing their low rise and they are SO comfortable. Seriously I can't wait to buy a few more pairs!!

======: O

BigBlackDog
Feb. 18, 2016, 05:33 PM
Ariat are awesome! I used to struggle with finding breeches because my torso is sooo long. I literally could not wear low rise breeches because my shirts would come untucked out the back and they sagged at the crotch. I found a pair of Ovations that said low rise and I tried them on because it's all my local tack store carries and amazingly they fit perfect! Sat right above my hip bones and I can wear them without a belt! You may want to try on different "models" and sizes in brands to see what fits.

Melissa.Van Doren
Feb. 18, 2016, 07:15 PM
Old thread, but still relevant.

Dublin makes a really nice, affordable (less than $100 for the cotton blend, not far over for a tech fabric) breech with a regular rise. Comes in three cuts: Slender, Signature (average) and Curvy. Color and style details make them perfect for showing.

Dewey
Feb. 20, 2016, 08:42 AM
Old thread, but still relevant.

Dublin makes a really nice, affordable (less than $100 for the cotton blend, not far over for a tech fabric) breech with a regular rise. Comes in three cuts: Slender, Signature (average) and Curvy. Color and style details make them perfect for showing.

Well, that is really good to know. I "collect" brands that make regular rise breeches; there aren't many. Now I wish they would make a nice show breech in regular rise without the Euro seat. I really dislike that seat--to me, it's like an outline around the body part I least want to draw attention to.

However, I know I can't have everything. If they make a curvy cut that is so much the better. Do you happen to know if it comes in a short length?

lmlacross
Feb. 20, 2016, 09:14 AM
Talk to me about sizing on the Ovation Taylored Euroweave. I see them recommended a lot here (on the board, if not necessarily this thread). I'm a 30L in Trophy Hunters, but I've heard the Ovations fit looser. I'm 36, and don't mind a *little* bit of extra room in the thigh, but I don't want them baggy. Thoughts on up or down, or stay the same?

PNWjumper
Feb. 20, 2016, 01:52 PM
Funny to see a thread this old bumped back up! Especially considering the fact that this topic comes up so regularly, and much more recently.

As someone (still) searching for low rise breeches (and not having much luck), they have become much more difficult to find. The trend seems to have swung back to the mid (which to me is HIGH) rise style from all of the manufacturers.

Wonder if this thread will get bumped back up in another 7 years and it will have gone the other way once again ;)

sarcam02
Feb. 20, 2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all the good ideas.
Will check out ebay - have had some success there before. And will look for TS and Ariats. I really need some good schooling breeches so hope I can find something that fits well and isnt too much $$$.

You should try buying the long version of the trophy hunter low rise. They sit much better. Not too low or too high

Dewey
Feb. 20, 2016, 04:25 PM
Funny to see a thread this old bumped back up! Especially considering the fact that this topic comes up so regularly, and much more recently.

As someone (still) searching for low rise breeches (and not having much luck), they have become much more difficult to find. The trend seems to have swung back to the mid (which to me is HIGH) rise style from all of the manufacturers.

Wonder if this thread will get bumped back up in another 7 years and it will have gone the other way once again ;)

Maybe so, haha. But to me, mid-rise is still too low. It doesn't make either of us happy!

MintHillFarm
Feb. 20, 2016, 06:44 PM
I am so with you, Linda! The low rise is out of the question for me. Even if I was under 25, I would never wear them..

I found a pair Dublin breeches, with a nice rise, wide waist band, for schooling at Strafford Saddlery www.straffordsaddlery.com.

They only had black in December, but hopefully there will be a tan this Spring.

Skip's Rider
Feb. 21, 2016, 09:15 AM
Maybe so, haha. But to me, mid-rise is still too low. It doesn't make either of us happy!

I agree! That said, I find the mid-rise Trophy Hunters the most acceptable of the mid-rise breeches. I also bought a pair of Riding Sport breeches that actually sit at my waist. I would like them more if they had real pockets instead of the tiny little zipper pocket. I had to go a size up from my Tailored Sportsman and Tredstep Rosa size. I tried on a bunch of Riding Sports when I was at the Dover store, and they all fit differently, so I definitely wouldn't buy them unless I could try them on.

ladipus
Feb. 21, 2016, 04:14 PM
I like Pikeur's, F.I.T.S, and Noble Outfitters

BigBlackDog
Feb. 21, 2016, 09:55 PM
Talk to me about sizing on the Ovation Taylored Euroweave. I see them recommended a lot here (on the board, if not necessarily this thread). I'm a 30L in Trophy Hunters, but I've heard the Ovations fit looser. I'm 36, and don't mind a *little* bit of extra room in the thigh, but I don't want them baggy. Thoughts on up or down, or stay the same?

I found my Ovations to be really true to size and they do have a bit of stretch. I can comfortably wear a pair of leggings for extra warmth under mine without having to buy a size up for winter layering.

chicagojumper
Feb. 22, 2016, 12:44 AM

Oh man, I'm in love with my Euroweaves. They are hands down my favorite breeches. I'm a 30R and they fit true to size for me - I normally have to size up to a 32 for TS.

The Euroweaves wear like iron, are super flattering, hide sweat even in the grossest hottest muggiest conditions, clean up great after a spin in the washer. The rise is also perfect for me as somebody with an oddly long torso. Highly recommended.

anmoro
Feb. 27, 2016, 08:46 AM

All I ever see are low rise!!! Call me old fashioned, but I wish they would bring back the Tailored Sportsman Supreme Hunter in Regular Rise. Yes the natural waist height. I am highly endowed on the bottom half of my body (yay for pear shapes) so I need a curvier fit, that sits at the natural waist, close to my belly button. Add in the times you wear a shadbelly and that gap between shad and lowrise breech makes me cringe. I keep hearing the Tailored Sportsman Professional Hunter is basically the same as the Supreme Hunter but I ride in breeches every ride and surely cannot afford several pairs of those. I have one pair of Ariat Pro Circuits and I love where they sit but the material is not comfortable to me. I found a type of TS that is 100% cotton and are high rise that are skin tight material (not my preference), but I found them in a fb group, however I have NO idea what style they are to order more. They are the best schooling breech. A barnmate gave me another pair of same type in a lower rise (ick) but I cannot find the style to purchase more. One pair is army green, the other tan. I'm pretty dead set on only tan.

PNWjumper
Feb. 27, 2016, 12:14 PM
All I ever see are low rise!!! Call me old fashioned, but I wish they would bring back the Tailored Sportsman Supreme Hunter in Regular Rise.

eBay is your friend here. I've seen a lot of the older style TS breeches for sale, and the older ones have that high rise. You can pick them up pretty cheap most of the time too.

My guess on the cotton ones you liked are that they're the old TS Schooling breeches (or maybe they were just called "The TS" or something?). But the cotton versions wore out so fast and they [relatively] quickly replaced them with the newer materials. Grand Prix had a similar version with a similar rise.

Equestrian_
Feb. 27, 2016, 04:41 PM
Didn't read through all these but I reccomend kerrits. Some of their breeches come up to high on me and I have a very long torso!

Dewey
Feb. 27, 2016, 05:33 PM
Speaking of the TS breech, check these out, on sale at the Tack Room:

http://www.tackroomonline.com/t-s-breech-ts-lds.html

mvspencer
Feb. 28, 2016, 12:09 AM
I've noticed that Italian manufacturers (Accademia Italiana, Animo, Cavalleria Toscana) make nice, low rise breeches, and German/Scandinavian (Pikeur, Eurostar, B Vertigo, Cavallo) brands make nice mid to high rise breeches. I think it's worth looking for these brands, even second hand, than it is buying Tuffrider or Kerrits every year. I don't understand the obsession with Tailored Sportsman. They seem to be made for one specific body type, and it isn't even a common body type.

Dewey
Feb. 28, 2016, 05:39 AM
I don't understand the obsession with Tailored Sportsman. They seem to be made for one specific body type, and it isn't even a common body type.

Agree. They do not fit me!

Impractical Horsewoman
Feb. 28, 2016, 06:45 AM
Speaking of the TS breech, check these out, on sale at the Tack Room:

http://www.tackroomonline.com/t-s-breech-ts-lds.html

Wow, that's a great deal! I have never owned a pair or even tried a pair on but now I'm tempted.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP but just out of curiosity how do TS fit? Do they run small?

Although, based on everyone's comments, I suppose I should be wary since I have a weird body type as well!

Lori T
Feb. 28, 2016, 07:41 AM
Devon-Aire's Signature line come in a mid rise. If you like TS, you will love the Signature...they are a fraction of the cost, come in great colors and are super comfy to wear.
They also make the All Pro line in a classic rise.
I didn't think I would like the mid rise, as I prefer the classic, but turns out I do like it. It is just a little lower than the classic and is not at all butt crack showing.

vxf111
Feb. 28, 2016, 11:11 AM
The DA Signatures are incredibly nice for the price. I am impressed with DA!