PDA

View Full Version : local shows:costs

Beau Cheval
May. 16, 2009, 01:21 PM
What are your average costs for a local one day show where you are competing in one division?

Trainer fees
Trailering (done by trainer)
The division would be $25x4(classes)+20 (for warm-up)

so that leaves you at...?

AliCat
May. 16, 2009, 01:51 PM
The last show I did was a schooling level, at home. My total for everything including entries, use of horse, and coaching was $165.

InstigatorKate
May. 16, 2009, 02:02 PM
Depends on how far away (I'll assume less the 50 miles since you said "local") and how many other horses/students the trainer is bringing. Plan to pay more if it's only you or you plus 1-2 others.

I trailer myself, but I'd think anywhere from $50 minimum to $100 for trailering locally. Maybe a little more if she's only taking you.

plus $50-75 for coaching for 1 division. Again, plan to pay for all her time if you're the only one showing.

So anywhere from $225-300+ for the day. You didn't mention if your trainer provides grooming/braiding services if necessary, so add those on as well.

hoops04
May. 16, 2009, 02:06 PM
our local shows usually have a division fee thats like 125-165 depending on the division, baby green a/o ect. Thats all the classes, usually cheaper than paying by class. Then I usually do not get a stall and shaveings because we live pretty close, so a non stableing fee of 25. office fees usually around 15/day and i have free shipping, but even then its super close. Then training fee i do not pay a lot, beause im usually all by my lonesome, but my friends pay about 100 for a whole weekend. just for training. Usually more thouh if your horse is staying there and you are poaying people to feed. I know a couple people who can pay 1000 easy at a local show, doing multiple divisions on multiple days! My usualy total though is about 200 per show

Angel Undercover
May. 16, 2009, 02:08 PM
The last local show I went to was:

60 for the division
10 for warm-up
20 for edic/admin fee
5 for drug free
Total: 95 + my amazing trainer only charged 15 for coaching/trailering

So $110 overall.

Jaegermonster
May. 16, 2009, 02:41 PM
My trainer charges a flat fee for schooling for the day, and it's same whether I ride or she rides. It's $45 for the day.
trailering is variable depending on how many horses go etc, I haul my own and usually one for her so I dont know about that.
She also charges a day care fee for feeding, cleaning stalls etc, I think $15 but I usually do that myself.
There is a 2 day schooling show next weekend, my mare is doing one division and one flat class per day so I"ll let you know afterward how much it hurt :)

Hunter Mom
May. 16, 2009, 05:00 PM
My local shows are usually within about 50 miles, and my trainer has a flat fee she charges to various locations - $15 for the one about 5 miles, more for the ones further away. She charges us $20 a day for coaching, and it doesn't matter how many classes/divisions we do. If we go to shows that require an overnight stay, we split her costs among all involved. We do our own work (cleaning stalls, feeding, etc.) and so no day charges.

Show fees - our two local circuits are both $10 for hunter and $15 for jumpers, if you are a member, $5 more per class if not. Membership is around $25, so if you're showing much, it is worth it to join. Stalls are usually $25 a day. One location has a $10 or $15 facility fee, but is worth it. Schooling on Friday night is usually $10 on top of that.

Lucassb
May. 16, 2009, 08:58 PM
Class fees for the local show we are going to tomorrow are $25 for regular classes and $35 for medals and classics. I will be doing one eq division and two medals. There is an office fee of $15 and a "warm up fee," also $15 which I guess must cover the use of the schooling area :eek:

My trainer charges $75 per day for training; this is a small show so we will not bring grooms and everyone will just help each other out. I trailer myself so will only have the expense for gas (I try never to factor in the cost of the truck & trailer originally, much too scary.)

So let's see...

$ 145 entries
30 random office
75 trainer
25 est. gas
$ 275.00 ... figure $300 with lunch ;)

superpony123
May. 16, 2009, 09:27 PM
I hate how expensive it is just to go to a small show down the road. Then again, it's not nearly as expensive as how much i spent to go to garden state for the whole week.

when i do the math, it comes out to be way more than what i actually end up paying, so i'm not sure why that is. but usually comes out to cost around $300.00.

however if you're only talking about entry fees, it's about $140-175, for what i generally do. (think 140 if i do jsut my hunter divison w/ no classic or medal. get closer to 175 when i do a medal and/ or classic)

mypaintwattie
May. 16, 2009, 09:36 PM
My local shows are usually between $100 and $200 when all is said and done. It's a nice change of pace sometimes to do the less costly local shows. Living in SoCal there are a plethora of smaller schooling show circuits, many of which offer nice year end prizes.

Aliascml
May. 16, 2009, 10:26 PM
On average, I usually pay

$30 to use a school horse
$30 for my trainer for the entire show
$6 to $8 a class
Trailering fee
$20 to $30-Stall and $6 to $8-Shavings
$6 to $8 Registration

Average around $200

Jumper6252
May. 16, 2009, 10:59 PM
Training- $40
Trucking- $50-$100
Classes- about $130 (hunter horse division and one or two medals)
Fees- $25-$75 (some places charge outrageous office fees)
Grand Total- about $300

livinthedream
May. 16, 2009, 11:06 PM
Division Fee: $65
Stall Fee: $65
Misc Classes: $45
Medic, Office Fee, Shavings, Etc.: $40
Trailering: $125
Coaching: $135
Day Care: $135
Groom Tips: $45

Total $665

Much better than the $1950 we pay for rated shows:eek:

FlyingSwap
May. 16, 2009, 11:18 PM
For me:

No training fees, as I'm showing an OTTB that I'm bringing along myself.
I trailer myself, so nothing besides fuel--show is about 50 minutes of travel each way.

$16.00 per class (same for warmup trips if I wanted to do those, but at this point, EVERYTHING is a warmup trip with this guy, so we don't need an extra one! Let's say I do two divisions, one each day.)
$30.00 per night for a stall (2)
$6.50 per bag of shavings (6-8, more if he's sloppy)
I braid, groom, take care of my own
I bring a cooler and snacks and live in the hospitality room/tent
I will throw a sleeping bag and/or air mattress down in the trailer or outside of his stall, so no hotels.

I can get out of a two-day (three if I go the day before to school) schooling show for ~$212

One day show with no stall (but adding a 15$ grounds fee) and one division is
$63.00 plus whatever I use in fuel. I may buy something to eat on the way home, but for a one-day show I would usually just pack snacks.

Believe me, I KNOW how to do this on a shoestring!

IsolaBella09
May. 16, 2009, 11:21 PM
My local shows cost $150 which includes trailering and coaching. Grooming is done by me. :D My entry fees are usually around $100, so in total I usually spend around $250 a local show.

ReSomething
May. 17, 2009, 12:50 AM
Different discipline, but $200 gets me entry fees for one division, use of school horse and school tack, grooming time, trainer, transportation of aforementioned horse to and fro showgrounds, stall, bedding.
I can't be really specific because all I do is write one check, show up at the showgrounds, step on my horse, do the class and hand the horse back to the groom/WS/trainer.

mrsbradbury
May. 17, 2009, 09:31 AM
Our rates are set up as follows for non-rated local show.
We do not bring grooms, the clients are expected to pitch in and help each other at these shows.

$25.00/ day coaching fee (trainer ride incl.)
$15.00/ per day for farm owned horse fee
$15.00- 35.00 shipping
split hotel among horses

show charges
$30-$60 stall fee
$5-$15 grounds/ EMT fees
$32.00-$60.00 for division

ballpark $150++ We don't hit $300 unless your showing multiple horses. Over $200 is too much for these shows, we are using this circuit to gear up for the rated shows in 2 years. Then the rates will adjust.

mep0726
May. 17, 2009, 09:56 AM
The last local one day show was a "C" rated show at a farm. It cost me as follows:
$20/class = 1 division + 1 eq. (warmup) = $80
Grounds/schooling/office fee = $20

Trainer does not charge me coaching fee, but it is $25/day. Gas was split three ways, so my share was roughly $7.

So my total cost was around $107, plus food.

mothermucker12
May. 17, 2009, 11:18 AM
local shows
$15 class/someplaces charge $40 a division(save $5)
$50 trainer fee
$5 office fee ($10 if you didn't pre-enter)
$75 trailering(we have our own trailer, onlytrailer with trainer for 1 show a year)
yesterday did 1 division, a warm up and medals class= $80 + $50(trainer)= $130

Wizard of Oz's
May. 17, 2009, 12:45 PM
Our barn goes to a few local shows throughout the year and the average cost for one of them is $200. I know the classes are 12, and I usually do 3-6 classes, depending on if I'm doing hunters or jumpers at that show. I don't remember how much trailering and trainer fees are, but it averages out to around 200, and that includes stall for two days, which is usually 30 per day.

indygirl2560
May. 17, 2009, 01:20 PM
I've never been to a one-day show, but I thought about going to one in March and here's the breakdown my trainer gave me.....

If we haul in the night before:
Overnight Stall $70
Trainer Fees(starts the day the horse arrives at show) $110
Class Fees $18/class
Drug/Office Fees $10
Trailering $80

If we haul in the day of....
Day Stall(if we wanted one) $50
Trainer Fees $55
Class Fees $18/class
Trailering $80
Drug/Office $10

Hauling in the day of saves almost a hundred dollars. And it's also waaaay cheaper when I show ponies for a lady I know without my trainer at shows, because she just charges me for gas. Typically, my barn doesn't go to any show less than a B rating and/or shorter than two days anyways.