PDA

View Full Version : Best gastric supp. for post-omeprazole

evans36
May. 15, 2009, 03:22 PM
OK, so my horse will be finishing up the omeprazole ulcer treatment in a week and a half or so. The results have been HUGE and I'm thrilled that he's feeling happy and healthy. The question is how to keep it that way. The vet's initial thought was to maintain on 1/4 tube per day indefinitely. However, at $4.50/day, that's pretty steep. I asked about trying a gastric supplement with buffer, and she said that she's had success with that too, that we would just try it and watch his condition and if it regresses, go back on the omeprazole.

When she mentioned the supplement, she said "something like U-Guard." I didn't really take it up with her then, but I'm wondering: can that really be the best choice? After checking out the handy-dandy comparison chart @ Smartpak, it seems like U-Guard has only the buffer, and there are tons of other things out there (pre/probiotics, l-glutamine, fenugreek, etc) that "help" the condition.

These products are also more expensive.

Could it be, for once, that a less-expensive and less-complicated product is better than the one with the most stuff? What have you put your horse on to keep ulcers from returning, how has it worked (or not worked) for you, and what was the approximate cost? I am trying to make some decisions so I can order it and start it a little before his omeprazole treatment is over. TIA!!

PinkPonies
May. 15, 2009, 03:39 PM
I love U-Gard - I started my horse on it per vet's recommendation two years ago after his Gastrogard treatment and have had great results (meaning no reoccurance of ulcer symptoms). It's cheap and it really worked.

I had him on Tractgard and U-Gard for about a year trying to be extra careful, but when I dropped the Tractgard he did fine. I've read a lot of very positive reviews about U-Gard on here too.

Just make sure you keep a few tubes of your Gastrogard around for stressful situations. Mine gets a half tube the day before, of and after anything stressfull like trailoring, shows, etc.

Auventera Two
May. 15, 2009, 03:41 PM
I can't say what' best, but I use Pro-CMC, the Equishine Probiotic, MSM, and Magnesium as the follow-up plan. Also lots of alfalfa hay. I would like to switch to something with fenugreek though. You can buy fenugreek powder at the online herb places for super cheap, but I don't know how much to feed so I haven't ordered any yet.

I also use 1/4 to 1/2 tubes of Gastrogard before and after trailering.

touchstone-
May. 15, 2009, 03:55 PM
For several years, we used one of the buffer products (Neighlox) on our ulcer horse. Recently, my vet told me it's junk, and we dropped it. The horse--who has also had some management changes, post-ulcer--is doing exactly the same, except he's finishing up his grain better now that it's unadulterated.

I am a big believer in the smaller doses of UG/GG when you need it. This horse gets it any time he travels, shows, gets NSAIDs, or shows any signs of gastric pain or stress. I stock up when I can find a good price and always have several tubes on hand.

Non-supplement things that have been recommended to me (most of which are part of my horse's program): daily turnout, free choice hay, more small grain meals vs. one large one, hay fed on the ground and alfalfa.

If I was determined to use some kind of daily therapy now, I'd probably look into rantididine.

hollyhorse2000
May. 15, 2009, 04:26 PM
Post UG, I finally went with Smartpak Smart Gut and have been extremely happy. I liked its combination of ingredients and its probiotics. My mare isn't wild about the taste, but otherwise I'm quite happy with it.

dwblover
May. 15, 2009, 06:15 PM
I think U-Gard is great stuff to maintain after the GG/UG treatment.

D Murray
May. 15, 2009, 10:42 PM
Finnish line U7 you won't be disapointed. i've seen it work many times.

Foxhound
May. 15, 2009, 10:47 PM
I have my horse on U-Guard, and he seems to be maintaining well post-omeprazole.
I prefer the pellets to the powder.

mydakota
May. 16, 2009, 01:26 AM
I too have had good luck with the U-Gard.

FoxChaser
May. 16, 2009, 08:19 AM
I used U-Guard with my OTTB ulcer case and got along okay, though he didn't put on any more weight while on it. I have since switched to SmartDigest Ultra and cannot say enough good things about it- WONDERFUL product and I actually have an almost fat horse!!! They also have SmartGut which also has an antacid added to it. I'd give it a shot :)

cosmos mom
May. 16, 2009, 08:37 AM
I use U-Guard as well :) no complaints!

ladipus
May. 16, 2009, 09:13 AM
OK, so my horse will be finishing up the omeprazole ulcer treatment in a week and a half or so. The results have been HUGE and I'm thrilled that he's feeling happy and healthy. The question is how to keep it that way. The vet's initial thought was to maintain on 1/4 tube per day indefinitely. However, at $4.50/day, that's pretty steep. I asked about trying a gastric supplement with buffer, and she said that she's had success with that too, that we would just try it and watch his condition and if it regresses, go back on the omeprazole.

When she mentioned the supplement, she said "something like U-Guard." I didn't really take it up with her then, but I'm wondering: can that really be the best choice? After checking out the handy-dandy comparison chart @ Smartpak, it seems like U-Guard has only the buffer, and there are tons of other things out there (pre/probiotics, l-glutamine, fenugreek, etc) that "help" the condition.

Could it be, for once, that a less-expensive and less-complicated product is better than the one with the most stuff? What have you put your horse on to keep ulcers from returning, how has it worked (or not worked) for you, and what was the approximate cost? I am trying to make some decisions so I can order it and start it a little before his omeprazole treatment is over. TIA!!

Highly recommend Corta Flex U Guard-comes in powder,pellets,or liquid OR Finish Line's U7 Gastric Aid and a good probiotic such as fastrack,probios ,or tractguard-all of theses products have worked wonderfully for my ulcer horses and have maintained them very well-they look and feel great

evans36
May. 16, 2009, 10:45 AM
The Smart Gut is what I was looking at - I really think he should get a pre/probiotic too. I'm trying to do the math on whether it's cheaper to feed the U-Guard AND a couple other things (fenugreek, probios) than just feeding it all in one place with smartgut.

I definitely plan to keep a couple tubes of the big guns handy for stressful situations :) Lord knows, I don't want to have to pay for the entire treatment again. That's really why I'm being such a worrywart here - it just seems so wrong when you can throw a ton of stuff at a problem to pick a product that only has one thing! Goes against all instincts!

So, for those of you using U-Guard... do you feed any other supplements with it, or has it been enough by itself? If it has been enough alone, I'm interested in hearing how bad the ulcers were in the first place - I got mine off the track after 5 years of racing; he responded to maintenance changes first (24/7 pasture turnout, less grain, etc) but that didn't do the full trick. I tried him on ProCMC and Gastric Acid and didn't see a whole lot of a difference, so I'm hesitant to go back to either of those.

Also, if you're feeding U-Guard and it's worked, I'm interested in hearing your other feed choices, besides supplements - how much/what kind of concentrates/hay/forage do you feed? Do you feed the supplement with every meal or just once daily?

Sorry for being a stressed-out mama... but it's so nice to have this mild-mannered horse and I don't want to go back to the crotchety old man and I can't afford to do this again, so I'm feeling a lot of pressure to get it right the first time!

Simkie
May. 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
OTC ulcer meds seem to be like OTC joint supps--what works for one horse does not necessarily work for another. You may need to try a few things before you find "the one."

Ugard didn't really work for Blush, even though I've used it on other horses in the past and liked it. What did work really well for her was GUT from Uckele.

cosmos mom
May. 16, 2009, 09:28 PM
I don't give any other gastro suppliment, but he is on TC low carb which has probiotics in it.

SLW
May. 16, 2009, 11:08 PM
For what it is worth, I added alfalfa to my young horse after his treatment for ulcers. He is approaching two years ulcers free.

Gallop On
May. 18, 2009, 09:33 AM
One of my horses gets the liquid and loves it, and the other gets the powder because he didn't like the taste of the liquid. It works!
They still get Ulcer-Guard for trips and horse shows.

readytorodeo
May. 18, 2009, 12:29 PM

Could it be, for once, that a less-expensive and less-complicated product is better than the one with the most stuff? What have you put your horse on to keep ulcers from returning, how has it worked (or not worked) for you, and what was the approximate cost? I am trying to make some decisions so I can order it and start it a little before his omeprazole treatment is over. TIA!!I would use Gastromin from Swedish Horse Power.