PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: "I do this and it's never affected my placings!"

Sing Mia Song
May. 15, 2009, 01:50 PM
This is a spin-off from the hunter hair thread, in which a couple people posted something I've seen multiple times on this board.

"I [have black tack, use a Kimberwicke, don't braid the tail, don't do hunter hair, etc] and it's never made a difference in how the judge pinned me."

So...how do you know this? Seeing as this is a subjective sport, and you are judged in comparison to other competitors, I can't imagine that people are watching every round and are always satisfied with where they wound up in the ribbons.

I know as a (very local level) judge, I don't care about brands or colors of clothes. I want to see neat, well-fitting, safe. But I'll admit that turnout or the severity of the bit in the mouth has been a tiebreaker on numerous occasions. I've never had anyone ask me why they got the ribbon they did (or didn't).

Discuss.

tidy rabbit
May. 15, 2009, 03:10 PM
I would imagine that it depends on the level of show you are at.

I would guess that at the local level (think city/county level) the judge shouldn't care too much about turn out since most of the folks wont be turned out all that well, so it's not really fair to judge then on equipment and clothing.

At the state level, I'd expect that it would start to affect your placings in the eq and hunter rings since untidy hair, ill fitting cloths and black tack would be out of place.

At the National (A & AA) level hunter and eq divisions you definitely need to present the "picture". Even in the books by GM and Anne K and others they specifically talk about turn out and how it can affect you in your placings in these divisions.

Pirateer
May. 15, 2009, 03:13 PM
I once wore a non-white shirt in a Medal qualifier.

tidy rabbit
May. 15, 2009, 03:25 PM

but how did you do? Did you qualify? What color was it? Was it some super pale color and I wouldn't have been able to tell from the stands?

Pirateer
May. 15, 2009, 03:26 PM
but how did you do? Did you qualify? What color was it? Was it some super pale color and I wouldn't have been able to tell from the stands?

It was a medium dark bluish-turquoise, I was 2nd of 4 (exactly where I should have been placed).. :)

RugBug
May. 15, 2009, 03:27 PM
I would imagine that it depends on the level of show you are at.

Exactly. I've shown in half chaps, Ariat Terrain boots and a polo. It's never affected my placings. 'Course that was at very small schooling shows where a lot of time staying on, getting diagonals, leads and over all the jumps is enough to get you a decent ribbon.

It's like my pet peeve of people selling a horse saying 'always in the ribbons' when those ribbons were at tiny local schooling shows. It's intentionally misleading at worst, a half truth at best. I suppose some people honestly don't realize the difference...but that surprises me.

Hehee. I placed in a Medal Final with a simple change. I was 5th out of 6. 6th place had a refusal. ;)

Giddy-up
May. 15, 2009, 03:28 PM

:eek: You are a REBEL!

I quit doing "hunter hair" a few years ago after being a die hard follower. I do the pony tail & flip it now. My GPA fits better honestly. And I show in the adult eq & jumpers.

(I feel like it's confession time :lol:)

RugBug
May. 15, 2009, 03:34 PM
I do the pony tail & flip it now.

But that's how I do hunter hair. Have I been doing hunter hair wrong all these years? :eek: :D

tidy rabbit
May. 15, 2009, 03:37 PM
But that's how I do hunter hair. Have I been doing hunter hair wrong all these years? :eek: :D

Oh my god! Me too!

RugBug
May. 15, 2009, 03:44 PM
Oh my god! Me too!

We all know you're a jumper heathen. :winkgrin: But me? HP extra-ordinaire? I'm aghasted.

rabicon
May. 15, 2009, 03:49 PM
I wore purple in hunters :lol: before. Didn't effect my placing because I think my horse did that for himself :lol: I don't think judges like knees flying (morgan) :lol:

Sing Mia Song
May. 15, 2009, 03:51 PM

Granola bar all over monitor!! :lol:

Giddy-up
May. 15, 2009, 04:06 PM

But I don't put any hair over my ears. In fact I make sure it's all tucked behind/under my ears. My ears probably (agh) stick out even! :eek:

I feel this way I can hear "FASTER" & "GALLOP" better too. :lol:

shawneeAcres
May. 15, 2009, 04:11 PM
Lets see how do I know it didn't affect placings, well...if you win first I'd say it probably didn't!! This came about because of what I said about "hunter hair". Sorry but no judge that I know (and I know QUITE A FEW) are looking at your HAIRSTYLE! Now I will agree, if you show up in some off the wall, badly fitting jacket, weird color breeches, boots that are short, etc. your turnout would make the judge wonder "Am I about to see a trainwreck?" and more often than not, he probably is. BUT I have seen that same not so great turnout pin pretty well when the pony/rider turned out to be a lot better than the turnout suggested. My turnout, and my students (or moreso for my students!) is neat, clean, well-fitted, SOME of my students wear "GPA"s, but some do not, NONE of them have custom boots, but they do have a good brand of off the shelf leather field boots, most of them are riding in less expensive tack, that is clean and well fitted to the horse. NOthing about their turnout SCREAMS "I am CHEP!" but they are all mounted on under $10K horses and they win PLENTY of ribbons in some pretty durn competitive and big classes. And not ONE OF THEM does "hunter hair"!

indygirl2560
May. 15, 2009, 04:17 PM
Me too! :eek::lol: I won a medal final in my blue shirt(although it was on the lighter side)!

MHM
May. 15, 2009, 04:45 PM
Regarding turn out and the effect on subjective judging, you only get one chance to make a first impression. As another poster said, if the judge thinks "impending trainwreck" when you walk in the ring, then you have to overcome that first impression.

Or as a very well known judge put it:

You can work your way down from a 90, or up from a 50! ;)

Hunter Mom
May. 15, 2009, 05:02 PM
I go into a show ring with my cellulite, fat rolls and boobies on my econo-nag and still place in lots of classes! I even do this in *gasp* Ariat breeches and non-custom boots! :eek:

kmsf
May. 15, 2009, 05:23 PM
I go into a show ring with my cellulite, fat rolls and boobies on my econo-nag and still place in lots of classes! I even do this in *gasp* Ariat breeches and non-custom boots! :eek:

:D:yes:

Peggy
May. 15, 2009, 07:04 PM
I wore an Eddie Bauer collarless striped shirt and no coat in an eq class and got third out of like 20. Also picked up the wrong lead in my attempt to do a classy eq entrance and pick up the lead on the diagonal line on my uber-greenie. Perhaps that does say something about the judging, tho the judge did notice the large buck in the hack class.

It was my first foray back into the HJ world, I didn't want to spend a fortune on clothes, it was a pretty basic schooling show and I called ahead of time to check if my wardrobe would be OK. But I did have custom Vogel boots which kind-of shocked a number of people in the barn (OK, maybe she really did show HJ at one time:lol:)

superpony123
May. 15, 2009, 08:06 PM
I won classes (and got 2nd's) at my first horse show ever (age of 11 or 12 i believe in 2004) while wearing:

cotton pull on jods w/o garters, no belt, the ugliest blue shirt (this was part of uniform though!), a hideous mushroom helmet, which to top it off: didn't fit at all (was one of those adjustable ones, but it never really fit), and.. gasp: no hunter hair. no hair net. just a big pony tail! i think i was wearing blue eyeliner, too.

(but this is perfectly acceptable because my first horse show was at Watchung Stable, when i started riding in their lesson program. so the blue uniform was mandatory. but god, it was ugly.

oh, i think i have a picture or two :D

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/alkalineEXPLOSION/HORSE/Watchung%20Stables/Morepics-19.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/alkalineEXPLOSION/HORSE/Watchung%20Stables/Morepics-16.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/alkalineEXPLOSION/HORSE/Watchung%20Stables/Morepics-15.jpg

throughout my younger walk/trot/canter x-rail show days, my outfit started to improve with moving to a REAL barn where i got REAL lessons and REAL horses

..but i still donned half chaps and that awful helmet and an ill fitting coat and .. THE SHOW BOW!! (here is 2005.. and yes i still placed)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/alkalineEXPLOSION/HORSE/Smoke%20Rise%20Riding%20Club/August%2025th%202005%20C-rated/PICT0124.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/alkalineEXPLOSION/HORSE/Smoke%20Rise%20Riding%20Club/August%2025th%202005%20C-rated/PICT0121small.jpg

and here i am now in 2009 :) .. with proper attire

well, i wear rust, but the judge clearly doesn't mind:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2697/132/89/589955224/n589955224_2991304_6133712.jpg
^me smiling and about to start dancing in my saddle, as i hear the announcer say our results, in which we got a 3rd, 5th, and 5th o/f out of 40 at GS :D ... oh, and our tail wasn't braided :lol:

Come Shine
May. 15, 2009, 08:38 PM
Refusals must not count because I won an Eq. class, at the provincial level no less, with one.

Mind you, the other rider had two. :)

chukkerchild
May. 15, 2009, 11:07 PM
Back in 2006 I won my first Baby Green Hunter (class of 46) with THIS turnout:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/highhorseinc/otherhorse.jpg
Yeah, thats a scuzzy half pad (forgot my saddle pad), my hair is sticking out, no gloves, dirty girth, bobble-head helmet, too short boots, etc... and I had no collar on, btw, I thought they were 'stupid'....

Here we are last year (2008) in our first A/A 3'3 class, turnout much improved!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/highhorseinc/Zuluheart2.jpg
(I have purchased this picture, btw, just the online version has a watermark)

Seven-up
May. 15, 2009, 11:20 PM
I got thrown onto trainer's daughter's pony once with no advanced notice after I thought I was done for the day just to get the pony around. Let's see if I can paint a picture for you: breeches, hot pink socks (sorry, 80's;)) tennis shoes and a teeny child's helmet, thus looking like one of those Jewish hats that I don't know how to spell and perching on a 6 year old's saddle--overflowing butt and knees jacked up to my eyeballs even with stirrups on the longest hole.

I honestly can't remember if we went 'not to be judged' and it was at a schooling show, but I did do this, and for the sake of this thread let's just say it didn't affect our placings.:D

jetsmom
May. 15, 2009, 11:40 PM
I ALWAYS dress to the nines!!! That way, when my horse is feeling good and launches into the air bucking after a single oxer and I miss a distance and jump up his neck causing a massive chip the judge will think, "Well, at least she LOOKS like she should know what she's doing!" :D

PS- If you change shirts and jacket colors immediately after your class, people won't laugh and point at you because they recognize you from the previous class where you did the things above. This also avoids the embarrasing situation of having the EMTs move closer to the ring when you go back for your next course.

fourmares
May. 16, 2009, 01:40 AM
I have placed well in a the A/O's without stupid hunter hair at plenty of big shows... now that I think of it I'm sure if I had done my hair in dorky pattys over my ears I'd have won all those classes... not... And I rode in a medal finals in a shirt that was not white... and was one of only two ammys in the work off. Placed fourth... Now that you mention it, I'll bet it was the blue shirt and not the crappy trot fence that kept me from winning that class... hmmm.

Quin
May. 16, 2009, 02:48 PM
PS- If you change shirts and jacket colors immediately after your class, people won't laugh and point at you because they recognize you from the previous class where you did the things above. This also avoids the embarrasing situation of having the EMTs move closer to the ring when you go back for your next course.

:D:lol:

Hunter Mom
May. 16, 2009, 04:52 PM
PS- If you change shirts and jacket colors immediately after your class, people won't laugh and point at you because they recognize you from the previous class where you did the things above. This also avoids the embarrassing situation of having the EMTs move closer to the ring when you go back for your next course.

I will definitely keep this in mind!! One of the girls who shows with us is an EMT, and I always (half) joke that I bring my own! :lol::winkgrin::lol:

Giddy-up
May. 16, 2009, 05:39 PM
Now that you mention it, I'll bet it was the blue shirt and not the crappy trot fence that kept me from winning that class... hmmm.

I am going to totally agree with you on this. :yes: I now think some of my lack of medal wins is NOT AT ALL due to the fact my horse will choose to piaffe rather than halt in the test, but that I didn't do my "hunter hair" correctly that day or wore a wrong colored shirt.

englishivy
May. 16, 2009, 06:22 PM
After client horse dumped client and only other good enough rider to show him, it was up to me to get the job done...and I was 7 weeks post-partum. :eek: :uhoh:

Let's not discuss the fact that I had only been back in the saddle three weeks (and had not jumped in months) when I had to get this horse over 8. My position o/f left much to be desired. :dead:

BUT, let's talk about the fact that at a show with formal attire, I showed in MATERNITY jeans (yes, with the thick elastic band at the top), half chaps, and a wool sweater. Since the jeans were a lot looser around the waist than three weeks prior, I kept thinking "please don't let my a$$ pop out of these jeans" every time I went over a jump. :lol:

We trotted in a cantered out, and somehow I managed to get 5th out of 6...I wonder how bad that other ride must have been!!

poltroon
May. 16, 2009, 06:32 PM
I think there is a big difference between "not the latest 2009 fashion" and "impending trainwreck." If you are neat, tidy, with well fitting clothes of a conservative color, I don't think the judge is going to care much exactly what shade of grey or green or tan or blue each element is, as long as it doesn't make the judge wince. I don't think the judge cares all that much if you're wearing a troxel or a GPA or an International or a Charles Owen, nor do they really care if your tack is black or dark brown or medium brown (might not like orange).

What the judge wants to see is horsemanship. A tidy, respectful appearance is part of horsemanship. An appropriate bit is part of horsemanship. Labels and the rest are irrelevant.

susie
May. 16, 2009, 06:54 PM
I neither wear hunter hair not tailored sportsmans, of course in the jumpers the judge didn't have a chance to discriminate even if he wanted too...my horse didn't seem to mind. he jumps the same no matter what brands I wear :)

apachepony
May. 16, 2009, 08:20 PM
I think this shirt choice may have actually helped my placings! :winkgrin: :lol: I got reserve champion for the first time.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ETauUbRs-z0lrkcdgw10rw?feat=directlink

Just for proof that I was actually wearing a shirt...
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/V9tylRKohgnKrjOEQemMpg?feat=directlink

superpony123
May. 16, 2009, 09:02 PM
I think this shirt choice may have actually helped my placings! :winkgrin: :lol: I got reserve champion for the first time.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ETauUbRs-z0lrkcdgw10rw?feat=directlink

Just for proof that I was actually wearing a shirt...
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/V9tylRKohgnKrjOEQemMpg?feat=directlink

LOL!!! :lol:

Valeureux
May. 16, 2009, 09:20 PM
I love this game!

Lets, see...
- I never wear hunter hair because long, frizzy, curly hair never cooperates. EVER.
- I don't use a martingale because my horse tries to flip over backwards with them.
- I forgot a fleecy saddlepad once and showed in my half pad :)
- I forgot to clean my tack once after a particular muddy show day.. :no:

And I don't think that any of these affected placing. :lol:

Addison
May. 17, 2009, 07:28 AM
Your hair should be neatly tucked under your hat. Hunter hair does not work for everyone as some styles are just too short. Trends come and go, such as the pony tail in big-eq a couple of years ago, but tradition holds that as long as it is neat and clean---you are fine.

spmoonie
May. 17, 2009, 09:09 AM
Refusals must not count because I won an Eq. class, at the provincial level no less, with one.

Mind you, the other rider had two. :)

I placed third (out of about 10) in a hunter flat class even though my horse went jigging/dancing by the judge when we were supposed to be walking.:D

Oh, and I have placed about 4th and 5th(out of about 8-10) in both hunter and eq classes even though we cross cantered 3 out of 4 lines. :confused: I never understood that one. lol.

oh, and another!: I won a hunter class(out of about 13) once even though we missed about 5 out of 9 distances.

superpony123
May. 17, 2009, 12:35 PM
I was 7th in a hunter classic out of 20 where I believe i went off course. I might have gone off course for a different class, except that I also placed in all my other classes, and I'm pretty sure I remember it was the 2nd round of the classic that i went off course in.

:lol: Judge mustve forgotten about it !

dghunter
May. 17, 2009, 01:11 PM
I too got on a pony that I was a little too big for and a saddle that was MUCH too small and showed in breeches and boots but also a sweatshirt! We won both of the classes :D

caradino
May. 18, 2009, 09:43 AM
I won classes (and got 2nd's) at my first horse show ever (age of 11 or 12 i believe in 2004) while wearing:

cotton pull on jods w/o garters, no belt, the ugliest blue shirt (this was part of uniform though!), a hideous mushroom helmet, which to top it off: didn't fit at all (was one of those adjustable ones, but it never really fit), and.. gasp: no hunter hair. no hair net. just a big pony tail! i think i was wearing blue eyeliner, too.

(but this is perfectly acceptable because my first horse show was at Watchung Stable, when i started riding in their lesson program. so the blue uniform was mandatory. but god, it was ugly.

oh, i think i have a picture or two :D

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/alkalineEXPLOSION/HORSE/Watchung%20Stables/Morepics-19.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/alkalineEXPLOSION/HORSE/Watchung%20Stables/Morepics-16.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/alkalineEXPLOSION/HORSE/Watchung%20Stables/Morepics-15.jpg

throughout my younger walk/trot/canter x-rail show days, my outfit started to improve with moving to a REAL barn where i got REAL lessons and REAL horses

..but i still donned half chaps and that awful helmet and an ill fitting coat and .. THE SHOW BOW!! (here is 2005.. and yes i still placed)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/alkalineEXPLOSION/HORSE/Smoke%20Rise%20Riding%20Club/August%2025th%202005%20C-rated/PICT0124.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/alkalineEXPLOSION/HORSE/Smoke%20Rise%20Riding%20Club/August%2025th%202005%20C-rated/PICT0121small.jpg

and here i am now in 2009 :) .. with proper attire

well, i wear rust, but the judge clearly doesn't mind:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2697/132/89/589955224/n589955224_2991304_6133712.jpg
^me smiling and about to start dancing in my saddle, as i hear the announcer say our results, in which we got a 3rd, 5th, and 5th o/f out of 40 at GS :D ... oh, and our tail wasn't braided :lol:

awww Charming and Whataface! i started at Watchung too. AND I wore jods and paddock boots (no garters!) up until I was about 15 or 16 because I didn't know any better, and my mom didn't want to spend the money to buy me tall boots. I also won classes there in this get-up. I even got my AA dressed like this! haha!

mep0726
May. 18, 2009, 09:52 AM
I got 2nd out of 5 at an open show once wearing a coat that didn't fit (read -- massively too big). I had a refusal and swapped leads the entire way around and the three people below me didn't have refusals. ;)

Melzy
May. 18, 2009, 12:27 PM
A judge has to place what is shown in front of them whether they like it or not. For classes with fewer entries than ribbons, sometimes the blue goes to a 50 or below performance. Do you think that makes you a real winner? Not in my book but on my card it does.

tidy rabbit
May. 18, 2009, 12:42 PM
Melzy, come on... let's not raise the standards too high. Shouldn't just entering and leaving the ring without having parted ways from your mount, be enough? I may just have to video a few rounds of the local circuit here for you all to see how great some of the winning trips can be! I couldn't be the judge. I just couldn't.

AppendixQHLover
May. 18, 2009, 02:02 PM
I don't do hunter hair. It gives me a headache in my helmet. I put a french braid in, and flip it under. Put on the hairnet and it looks nice. Yes I do frenchbraid my own hair.

I have forgotten my shaped pad and showed in a all purpose pad. The reason I didn't place had nothing to do with my pad, it was because my wonderful horse decided that the tarp was going to eat him. Yeah that was fun.

I also don't wear tailored sportsmans because they don't fit my rear right.

mvp
May. 18, 2009, 02:29 PM
Won my first eq class as an old lady trying hard but... Dehners not Vogels, a Bates Caprilli with its fugly-high-butt-enlarging cantle. Of course you can sit a big trot in one of those buckets forever. Finally, a Bevals' therapeutic half pad to make the whole contraption fit.

Maybe the oiled hooves and hunter hair evened the score.

tidy rabbit
May. 18, 2009, 02:33 PM
OMG, you OILED your Horse's HOOVES? Good lord. Don't you know that will rot their feet!?!?!?!?

<I was told that in the not to distant past... whatever :rolleyes::rolleyes:.>

Trixie
May. 18, 2009, 02:58 PM
I don't do hunter hair. It gives me a headache in my helmet. I put a french braid in, and flip it under. Put on the hairnet and it looks nice. Yes I do frenchbraid my own hair.

You mean you didn't hire a braider?! :lol:

DMK
May. 18, 2009, 03:45 PM
You mean you didn't hire a braider?! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

What is all this hoopla over "hunter hair"? It's not that hard now that we all wear approved helmets? Put hair in hairnet, put hair and hairnet in ponytail, flip hair up, put hat on, position "bump" of hair under harness so it is most comfortable for you. Over the ears, behind the ears is a fairly moot point if you have a harness, although my preference is over the ears (but this preference long predated my being in hunters).

Other than trying to stay on and find maybe at least 8 fences on a good day, I can't say what has affected my placings. I like bold colors for ratcatchers, I like a lot of bling on my belts, I like not 100% traditional colors in breeches and coats, although not too far from the norm and I always, but always braid my bay horse in navy yarn (horrors) and I haven't bothered with a martingale in years. I'm pretty sure if my horse wasn't turned out to the nines or didn't go around like he belonged (I plead the 5th on pilot skilz) some of that stuff might matter more, but there's very little in the total picture to distract a judge, nothwitstanding any keeblers or zoomers I might throw in the mix.

That said, I did watch a video of myself a couple years ago, and I had to concede the flash of my belt (think kippy knockoff) was a tad distracting when the jacket flapped high enough to see it (this happens more often now that we have the lower rise breeches). So in a compromise between my love of my blingy belt (serious and profound) and my love of winning $$$ (equally serious and profound), I opted not to wear those belts on classic days if I thought the competition was a bit tougher than normal.

But now I'm letting the old horse take a break and showing my 2 year old on the line, and sure enough, the blingy belt is back!!

BearWithMe
May. 18, 2009, 05:07 PM
A judge has to place what is shown in front of them whether they like it or not. For classes with fewer entries than ribbons, sometimes the blue goes to a 50 or below performance. Do you think that makes you a real winner? Not in my book but on my card it does.
YES!!!!!! i completely agree!
having a refusal or a wrong lead is not a good thing and you didnt win because you didnt have hunter hair. you won/did ok because of bad judging. having a refusal and pinning above someone that didnt have one is rediculous (sp). i ride with hunter hair everyday. if you tuck your hair in your helmet anyway, why not spend $2 on a hair net and just put the hair over your ears??? you can find tailoreds on ebay for cheaper than other cheaper less accepted brands. If you dont feel like looking on ebay and buy cheaper breeches its not a big deal.
things like too short boots and wrong colored shirts are not acceptable. instead of buying half chaps AND tall boots, just invest in tall boots and some schooling breeches. and you only need one shirt:white. and one jacket:navy. these are acceptable for anything.
i dont mean to sound too harsh and at the same time i understand little kids with cheap breeches etc because they will grow out of them in a few months!
but anyone over 13 needs to invest in quality items such as tall boots. you will look better and they will last longer and you will end up saving money. also if you have black all purpose tack sell it and buy a brow close contact saddle or borrow someone elses.
sorry for the rant. my #1 pet peeve is when people dont do hunter hair. this weekend at a show i saw a girl with tall boots wearing braids with bows!!!!

BearWithMe
May. 18, 2009, 05:07 PM
YES!!!!!! i completely agree!
having a refusal or a wrong lead is not a good thing and you didnt win because you didnt have hunter hair. you won/did ok because of bad judging. having a refusal and pinning above someone that didnt have one is rediculous (sp). i ride with hunter hair everyday. if you tuck your hair in your helmet anyway, why not spend $2 on a hair net and just put the hair over your ears??? you can find tailoreds on ebay for cheaper than other cheaper less accepted brands. If you dont feel like looking on ebay and buy cheaper breeches its not a big deal.
things like too short boots and wrong colored shirts are not acceptable. instead of buying half chaps AND tall boots, just invest in tall boots and some schooling breeches. and you only need one shirt:white. and one jacket:navy. these are acceptable for anything.
i dont mean to sound too harsh and at the same time i understand little kids with cheap breeches etc because they will grow out of them in a few months!
but anyone over 13 needs to invest in quality items such as tall boots. you will look better and they will last longer and you will end up saving money. also if you have black all purpose tack sell it and buy a brow close contact saddle or borrow someone elses.
sorry for the rant. my #1 pet peeve is when people dont do hunter hair. this weekend at a show i saw a girl with tall boots wearing braids with bows!!!!

Pirateer
May. 18, 2009, 05:12 PM
I think there is a pretty big difference between using an All purpose saddle and a colored shirt.

I mean c'mon.

There is a difference between hair up but not "hunter hair", and having it all flopping around loose.

If you number one pet peeve has to do with hairnets, you might want to be rethinking that. I mean I'm a proper-hair nazi like everyone else, but honestly I showed a ton before I figured it out, and it never affected me, but it was also up and in a hairnet, just not over my ears.

tidy rabbit
May. 18, 2009, 05:13 PM
Oh Bear...

I use 2 hairnets with my pony tail but I don't give a crap if my hair folds are perfectly covering 1/2 of my unsightly ears.

enjoytheride
May. 18, 2009, 05:19 PM
I showed hunters in a saddle with a round cantle :eek::eek:

it was an eventing saddle from England but the tack store people told me I wouldn't place because of the shape of the cantle.

RHdobes563
May. 18, 2009, 05:28 PM
I showed hunters in a saddle with a round cantle :eek::eek:

it was an eventing saddle from England but the tack store people told me I wouldn't place because of the shape of the cantle.

And years ago, it was my SQUARE cantled saddle that was out of place...

twobays
May. 18, 2009, 06:56 PM

Like, OMG, really!?!?!?! I hope the judge, like, kicked her out of the ring!!!!!!!!!11!

BearWithMe
May. 18, 2009, 07:41 PM
i just dont understand how hard it is to put your hair over your ears. I will come do it for you!!!!!! haha

arktos19
May. 18, 2009, 08:38 PM
.... And I just don't understand why it is necessary to have hair pies over your ears! Gives me flashbacks to those cheesy 60's yearbook pictures we used to laugh about in the school library, where the girls all had long straight hair tied back, and not an earlobe to be seen.... ;)

tidy rabbit
May. 18, 2009, 08:53 PM
Maybe I'll design a hairnet with fake hairlobes to place over your ears. Then you could have perfect hunter hair every time. It is, after all, all about appearances.

enjoytheride
May. 18, 2009, 09:07 PM
I get the clothing, but I don't get the ear thing or the cantle thing.

englishivy
May. 18, 2009, 09:10 PM
Maybe I'll design a hairnet with fake hairlobes to place over your ears. Then you could have perfect hunter hair every time. It is, after all, all about appearances.

:lol::lol::lol:

All I can think about now (and I am totally showing my nerdy side) is the Princess Leia buns hairdo; it totally covered her ears! How funny would that be if you could make something like that in a smaller version to give that "hunter hair" look that you could just take off after riding.

TR, I have to say you quite often make me laugh.

tidy rabbit
May. 18, 2009, 09:29 PM
I think I'll try to recruit BearWithMe as a sales rep since he / she is so passionate about Hunter Hair. Who better to represent the "Tidy Rabbit Tidy Hunter Lobe Hairnet"?

mvp
May. 18, 2009, 09:37 PM
I DID oil his hooves. Always do. Good thing we don't get to show often. The SPCA is on my horse's speed dial list.

But that's not because of the hooves. It's because of clipping the inside of his ears. Everyone is against me on this, including the horse.

But dammit, if I have to/can cover my ears... no... everything but my face in humid August, then Horseboy can suck it up and have his all aerodynamic and shapely.

The SPCA doesn't answer his calls anymore. Just too many to really handle.

englishivy
May. 18, 2009, 10:09 PM
Ya know, I gotta say this thread is silly...unless you actually asked a judge about your placings, you'll never know why you got what you got. I doubt "rebel ways" ever ruined anyone. :)

I'd love to have a judge say to me "well, I wanted to place you first but your show shirt is all wrong for your coloring, and the jacket just wasn't the perfect shade to compliment your (obviously) low end breeches. So I scored you at zero, as deserved, for being so painful to watch in regards to your choice of fashion. Such a shame too, because you had the best round of the day".

That would be the most ridiculous moment EVER...and naturally I would share it here right before I died of laughter.

Seven-up
May. 18, 2009, 10:20 PM
Um, isn't this thread supposed to be silly? I don't think anyone is suggesting you print out this thread and wave it in the judge's face the next time you forget your breeches and have to ride bare-assed. "Mr. Judge, Mr. Judge, how dare you place me out of the ribbons! COTH said I could still get a ribbon!":rolleyes::lol:

AppendixQHLover
May. 18, 2009, 10:33 PM
I like to be silly...:D It makes the day go by faster and laugh at the horse shows.

I know I don't hire a braider to do my own hair. All the kids who ride ponies want me to do their hair.

When my hair was waist length the hunter hair was a real pain in the rump.

OH and ride in a Berne foxhunting saddle. It has a round cantle. I couldn't find a square cantle that fit me and my horse both. The Berne makes me sit up straight and has some great seatbelts in it.

worth_the_wait08
May. 18, 2009, 11:18 PM
Lets, see...
- I never wear hunter hair because long, frizzy, curly hair never cooperates. EVER.

I, for one, have long, extremely frizzy/curly hair and my hunter hair looks fine

Case in point
My hair (I'm on the left...the one with the curly/frizzy hair):
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30001218&l=272e3179b3&id=1125720084

My hunter hair:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30046300&l=9462bfcb6b&id=1125720084

I did my first horse show in pull-on breeches, black half chaps, brown paddock boots, helmet cover, and a show bow. Surprisingly it looked better than it sounds:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30048246&l=8d1dabdabc&id=1125720084

It was also with a show series called "Blue Jeans and Chaps" where the whole premise was that what you were wearing didn't matter. I was champion.

englishivy
May. 19, 2009, 08:21 AM
I like to be silly...:D It makes the day go by faster and laugh at the horse shows.

true....

a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

:)

Dakotawyatt
May. 19, 2009, 08:48 AM

This would be the perfect alternative to those of us with funky ear piercings since the hairnet gets hung up on those (OW). I do my hair like TR; hairnet behind the ears, ponytail up.

caradino
May. 19, 2009, 08:56 AM

bahahahaha this is BRILLIANT!!

totally could have given one to my hunter-hair-averse friend back before she learned how to do hunter hair. (or wear a belt, or britches without holes, or lesson in anything but a huge baggy tshirt..)

but, just so you all know, she now does hunter hair EVERY RIDE and also wears a belt and well-fitting tops. YAY!

mvp
May. 19, 2009, 09:02 AM
You aren't dressed unless you are wearing a (nice) belt.

It's the horseman's jewelry and practical, too. Who knows when you need to lead something somewhere.... and look good doing it.

A belt is jewelry in the original, middle-age sense of the word. The point of bling then was that precious metals and stones were currency. You could carry around something you could trade for food, shelter, transportation, to save your skin from someone.

We should now where credit cards around the neck.

Let this be a lesson to you.

Everythingbutwings
May. 19, 2009, 09:34 AM
You aren't dressed unless you are wearing a (nice) belt.http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL936/3762429/16198577/261858055.jpg :winkgrin:

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2118/12358822/21984558/364768826.jpg

Giddy-up
May. 19, 2009, 11:12 AM
You aren't dressed unless you are wearing a (nice) belt.

It's the horseman's jewelry and practical, too. Who knows when you need to lead something somewhere.... and look good doing it.

A horse last weekend got loose at Lamplight & ran all the way to the far back barns from the rings on top. At full speed, reins/stirrups flying. With it's super hot pink square saddle pad.

I am now picturing a blinged out belt hanging from it's neck as some well dressed COTH-er might have tried to catch it. :lol:

findeight
May. 19, 2009, 11:18 AM
Err...I have forgotten a choker on several occaisions. Won a round or two at AA level without it-even scored an 82 in top competition, wasn't wearing an belt either. Actually, horrors, forgot gloves and went in naked handed once. Got a good ribbon so the judges did not notice or care if they did.

My trainer however:rolleyes:, different story. Still hear her "What is it about horse SHOW you don't get".

Oh, no Hunter Hair either, too short. Just a pig, I guess:lol:.

So can I blame that for not getting the ribbon I thought I deserved last week in a hack? Don't suppose it was the fact the others were better movers. Do you? Yep, must have been the fact I was not wearing a belt and no Hunter hair. Yeah...that's it.

Tidy, when will you be selling the ear lobes on the hairnet gadget so I can win?

Hunter Mom
May. 19, 2009, 11:40 AM
We were doing jumper day at a local show, and I wore a black sweater with my breeches. I had just gotten a beautiful handmade silver horsehead necklace and had it on, but forgot my belt. My trainer did comment on me wearing a necklace but not a belt, but we still won the division! I told her I wore the necklace ot make up for the belt :)

LSM1212
May. 19, 2009, 12:27 PM
true....

a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

:)

Oh how I love this line from Willy Wonka. :)

I kinda do the hunter hair thing... but *gasp*... I don't use hair nets. I just put my hair in a low pony tail, use those snap clips things (one on either side above my ear area to take care of the whisps), then flip my hair on top of my head, put my helmet on (back to front) and then just tuck any loose ends up in my helmet. And no, I never do the ear thing. I hate having hair over my ears. :D

But thankfully I only do local stuff. I did the same thing at the first (and only) rated show I was at. Though it was just a lowly B rated.

If it's a schooling show? I leave it in a pony tail. *another gasp*... but I hate having my hair up in my helmet so I only do it when I absolutely have to.

BearWithMe
May. 19, 2009, 12:27 PM
I think I'll try to recruit BearWithMe as a sales rep since he / she is so passionate about Hunter Hair. Who better to represent the "Tidy Rabbit Tidy Hunter Lobe Hairnet"?
(she)
bahahahahahahahaha. anytime anytime.

eclipse
May. 19, 2009, 03:53 PM
Gasp, I wore white breeches for a hunter division & placed in the top 2 for every round! I'd had a mini prix in the jumpers right before & didn't have time to change. PLUS, my braids were on the "wrong" side of the mane! :lol:

KristieBee
May. 19, 2009, 04:42 PM
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL936/3762429/16198577/261858055.jpg :winkgrin:

zebra belt posse! :)

http://img.skitch.com/20090519-k8rc4judr2t9swkjf6wmy8s31g.jpg

Beau Cheval
May. 19, 2009, 05:55 PM
Oh my gosh you should all come to long islandddd. Lol. Seriously, the people who win are the ones turned out to the nines. There are other people, but they don't place. Ever.

superpony123
May. 19, 2009, 07:38 PM
.. I wear a hot pink leopard print belt with my white/pastel pink striped shirt. it's pretty snazzy. looks cute with my mint green checked shirt too. it's like watermelon colors! :D

tBHj
May. 19, 2009, 10:43 PM
:eek: You are a REBEL!

I quit doing "hunter hair" a few years ago after being a die hard follower. I do the pony tail & flip it now. My GPA fits better honestly. And I show in the adult eq & jumpers.

What is hunter hair? I do the hairnet/ponytail flip thing.

Jive
May. 19, 2009, 11:46 PM
I ALWAYS dress to the nines!!! That way, when my horse is feeling good and launches into the air bucking after a single oxer and I miss a distance and jump up his neck causing a massive chip the judge will think, "Well, at least she LOOKS like she should know what she's doing!" :D

This is pretty much exactly what happened to me at a show this past weekend. However i fell off after the massive chip at the single diagonal oxer and into the mud since it had been pouring rain. And on day two of the show the medic did just happen to be at the ring when i went in for my courses.

Hunter Mom
May. 21, 2009, 02:08 AM
This is pretty much exactly what happened to me at a show this past weekend. However i fell off after the massive chip at the single diagonal oxer and into the mud since it had been pouring rain. And on day two of the show the medic did just happen to be at the ring when i went in for my courses.

Been there, done that. Changed clothes, switched classes to the indoor arena and won the next division without wearing a coat because mine was then covered in mud. Yes, my EMT girlfriend was there, too!