PDA

View Full Version : Video of my to-be A/O hunter

Punkie
May. 15, 2009, 01:52 PM
This guy was a surprise 21st birthday present from my parents. He had come into my old trainer's farm as a sale project (his previous owner was moving and only had room on her trailer to take 6...he was number 7); he couldn't hold his canter for more than a long side, over-jumped everything by 3 feet, rode completely off his elbows, had no idea what to do with his hind end...he was basically a barely broke 7 year old. Fast forward to just 7 months later, and this is what I've got! He's still learning his changes and muscling up, but we're planning to start him in the pre-greens come June. He is very bored at 3'0" however and gets lazy, but he's a BLAST over 3'6" so I'm seriously looking forward to getting to do him in the A/Os in 2010!

This is my trainer on board, but he's this easy for anyone to ride. I would love any opinions on him; I think he's quite the horse, but I'm biased!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8OZA3eq5U8

zahena
May. 15, 2009, 02:00 PM
I think he's super cute and looks like he's green enough to still be a fun and challenging ride without being difficult. I think the person left him behind was insane, but he surely found a better home with you.

Your trainer is a very nice rider! Have fun with him! Post some video from your show!

findeight
May. 15, 2009, 02:04 PM
Warning to anybody who watches this...HIT MUTE.

Anyway, I would bet when you get him over some real 3' show fences with the 3' width and lots of stuffing, faux walls and roll tops, he might brighten up some. Airy little fences at home with ground rails are boring.

What kind of bridle is that? Looks like it's got alot of shank on it. Trainer is sitting pretty deep too...how does he go when you trust him and float the reins a little?

He looks fine for where he is. Need to wait and see how he dows at the shows over the real stuff and between the jumps style wise to make any pronouncements about the 3'6". Especially as a Hunter..or are you planning on moving him to the Jumper ring after he gets some miles?

Punkie
May. 15, 2009, 02:13 PM
Warning to anybody who watches this...HIT MUTE.

Anyway, I would bet when you get him over some real 3' show fences with the 3' width and lots of stuffing, faux walls and roll tops, he might brighten up some. Airy little fences at home with ground rails are boring.

What kind of bridle is that? Looks like it's got alot of shank on it. Trainer is sitting pretty deep too...how does he go when you trust him and float the reins a little?

He looks fine for where he is. Need to wait and see how he dows at the shows over the real stuff and between the jumps style wise to make any pronouncements about the 3'6". Especially as a Hunter..or are you planning on moving him to the Jumper ring after he gets some miles?

He schools around the warm-up rings *great* and definitely jumps better with filler. I've jumped him around 3'6" and he does very, very well; it's just a matter of miles at this point.

The bridle is an itty-bitty tom thumb rubber pellham...shortest shanks I could find :). He could jump around just as happily in a halter and lead rope, but we use the pellham to create leverage for the changes.

He's about the laziest bum I've ever known...she has HONKING spurs on, but you have to drive him forward from your seat as well. He's also like riding a couch...you really don't *want* to get out of the tack because he just sucks you in and holds you there :). He'll get down to the fences just fine on the buckle, but he definitely still needs a little help balancing on the other side.

I didn't know people found Sufjan Stevens' song "Chicago" offensive :::shrugs:::

luvs2ridewbs
May. 15, 2009, 02:13 PM
He is very attractive and what a nice mover. You're a lucky person

findeight
May. 15, 2009, 02:19 PM
I didn't know people found Sufjan Stevens' song "Chicago" offensive :::shrugs:::

I didn't. Just real loud real quick.

zahena
May. 15, 2009, 02:31 PM
I learned my lesson ages ago and just don't even turn on the volume. Although I did listen to someone's the other day and it was Drowning Pool which suits my taste, especially since they are friends of mine!

tidy rabbit
May. 15, 2009, 03:08 PM
Congratulations! What a wonderful b-day present!

His front end is super cute and square regardless of where the rider put him to the jumps. He seems like he's got a good sense of humor about leaving from any distance.

What is going on with the horse's hind legs over the jumps? Was it just fatigue? His hind legs never go over the jumps together.

PinkPonies
May. 15, 2009, 04:48 PM
I didn't. Just real loud real quick.

I'm at work so I appreciated the warning!

Anyway, he's super cute and looks like a nice, willing guy. I'm sure you will have a blast working with him. Good luck!

Sing Mia Song
May. 15, 2009, 04:58 PM

That's for those of us watching at work. ;)

rabicon
May. 15, 2009, 06:07 PM
He is twisting his front end over jumps. Not as bad at some jumps than others and not at all the jumps. He looked great over the wht/blk oxer though. I have to agree he is bored with those jumps ;) He can be a little loose and sloppy with his backend also over them. He will jump off the forehand also at times. I think its just being green and bored and possibly the rider. He is adorable. Love his pace and just overall appereance. I think he is going to do really well for you ;)

snarkey
May. 15, 2009, 09:44 PM
Good for you!!! However, PLEASE, lose the pelham!!! Its a huge cop-out in the hunter ring. And,as others have said, he would chill and relaxe if she wasnt digging him with her deep 3point. Why arnt you on the video????

pleasedaspunch
May. 15, 2009, 09:56 PM
Would love to see him in something other than a pelham. I find it almost impossible to tell a horses ability (especially a hunter) in one. He seems super willing as well as forgiving. Its hard to tell what his abilities would be at 3'6" from the vid.

enjoytheride
May. 15, 2009, 10:04 PM
You said he needed the pelham to leverage his changes, I've never heard of that before. What is your trainer's explanation?

Punkie
May. 16, 2009, 01:33 AM
Good for you!!! However, PLEASE, lose the pelham!!! Its a huge cop-out in the hunter ring. And,as others have said, he would chill and relaxe if she wasnt digging him with her deep 3point. Why arnt you on the video????

He schools in the pelham. He shows in a regular dee-bit. But then again, my large pony and my junior hunter both went in pelhams...my large was champion or reserve champion at almost every major A show on the east coast at some point during the late 90's/early 00's and my jr. hunter won zone finals on more than one occasion, but hey, maybe I just had a bunch of judges overlook the bit ;)

I don't think you can get much more relaxed than him...he's about as calm as they come; nothing phases him. Again, he's really starting to build up muscle and is still very lazy and needs to be pushed from behind. I just cliniced with Buddy Brown and this was the way he suggested that the horse be ridden for a little while to encourage him to drive from behind (or as Buddy said "I want you to cowgirl and ride that hind end!"). When I get the DVD back, I'll put up the one of Buddy on him...he didn't move an inch from the saddle.

...I'm not in the video because I'm the videographer? My horses are all pro-ridden several times a week and I wanted to get a video of him with my trainer on board. Considering the fact that he's my hunter, I'm more concerned about how he's going in general than how I'm riding him right now. I have practice horses for me to work on myself. I only ride him twice a week right now (for my lessons) as we are focusing on him getting through the Pre-greens this season with my trainer. Once we work a few more of his kinks out (mainly the fact that he's being very lazy with his limbs over the jumps and his changes), I'll probably do him in the adults with my other guy towards the middle of this season, but I'm more focused on riding/showing my more ready-to-go horses myself right now and leaving the young ones to my trainer.

Punkie
May. 16, 2009, 01:44 AM
Congratulations! What a wonderful b-day present!

His front end is super cute and square regardless of where the rider put him to the jumps. He seems like he's got a good sense of humor about leaving from any distance.

What is going on with the horse's hind legs over the jumps? Was it just fatigue? His hind legs never go over the jumps together.

We actually noticed that and were wondering the same thing as well, so we had the vet take a quick peek at him (lucky for us he was there that day). He said my big guy has naturally weak stifles (he's - obviously - long-backed and also hip high), so he gave us a bunch of exercises to do with him and he's going to give him a medication that is an alternative to blistering (I've had horses blistered before with no adverse results, but the more I read about it, the more I worry about it causing significant discomfort), though I can't remember the name of it. So part of his awkward hind end is that he's super lazy and the other is that he's not quite strong enough yet.

InstigatorKate
May. 16, 2009, 01:47 AM
Oooohhh, Bad trainer for jumping the cross-rail oxer backwards, could have been ugly :-(

Lovely horse though, lucky girl!!!

Mac123
May. 16, 2009, 01:48 AM
He schools in the pelham. He shows in a regular dee-bit. But then again, my large pony and my junior hunter both went in pelhams...my large was champion or reserve champion at almost every major A show on the east coast at some point during the late 90's/early 00's and my jr. hunter won zone finals on more than one occasion, but hey, maybe I just had a bunch of judges overlook the bit ;)

I don't think you can get much more relaxed than him...he's about as calm as they come; nothing phases him. Again, he's really starting to build up muscle and is still very lazy and needs to be pushed from behind. I just cliniced with Buddy Brown and this was the way he suggested that the horse be ridden for a little while to encourage him to drive from behind (or as Buddy said "I want you to cowgirl and ride that hind end!"). When I get the DVD back, I'll put up the one of Buddy on him...he didn't move an inch from the saddle.

...I'm not in the video because I'm the videographer? My horses are all pro-ridden several times a week and I wanted to get a video of him with my trainer on board. Considering the fact that he's my hunter, I'm more concerned about how he's going in general than how I'm riding him right now. I have practice horses for me to work on myself. I only ride him twice a week right now (for my lessons) as we are focusing on him getting through the Pre-greens this season with my trainer. Once we work a few more of his kinks out (mainly the fact that he's being very lazy with his limbs over the jumps and his changes), I'll probably do him in the adults with my other guy towards the middle of this season, but I'm more focused on riding/showing my more ready-to-go horses myself right now and leaving the young ones to my trainer.

Punkie, I think people these days get disenfranchised with the idea of a hunter doing coursework with the rider in the saddle. People don't seem to understand that the ends cannot also be the means and that with such being logically and practially true, one cannot acheive the "hunter ride" by floating them from day one. They don't understand that the ride in the ring is not achieved by riding that way at home.

I actually found it refreshing to find a rider trying to put them together and get the horse moving from him hind end instead of dumping him on his face in the name of hunterism. It's about improving the horse and moving their balance point to their hind end so they can stretch without getting low in the shoulder...one cannot make the horse better by leaving it be in a light seat early on, as much as we would all like this to be true.

It takes months and months for green horses to learn to stretch into a hunter frame while staying connected behind and not dump onto the forehand. The beginning work should always encompass a lot of deep seat work to encourage them to stay balanced and light.

I'll bet Buddy didn't move from the saddle! because he knows how to get horses truly connected and going correctly before getting light. Post the video or PM it to me if you have a chance; I'd enjoy seeing it.

People also want to see amazing form from day one. I for one like to see one as relaxed as he is. the ones with big jumps often aren't impressed with schooling fences (although those didn't look 3 foot). Relaxedness and balance should always come first with a greenie; sharpening their form should come later when there is something there to be shaped.

Congrats on a great birthday present (I'm jealous!). ;) He's cute and I bet is really nice at 3'6.

Punkie
May. 16, 2009, 01:51 AM
As for questions about how deep she's sitting on him, here's a video of her on my 3'0" hunter (much further along in his training) from the same day, about 30 minutes earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vw-5JmKffw

He's far more ready for that light floaty ride and is much more sensitive to your leg. She's very good about give each horse a different ride, but always the ride they need that day. She likes to school this one in a pelham as well (he can get low and racey and respects the curb chain better than just a snaffle), but he also shows in a dee bit.

Jo
May. 16, 2009, 05:01 AM
I'm confused... I've always heard/done "bitting up" for the show ring, but never bitting down... As requested earlier, can you explain your trainer's reasoning for it?

ETA: if your trainer wants an oxer that she can jump both ways, perhaps you can suggest to her setting a Swedish oxer.

Punkie
May. 16, 2009, 06:05 PM
I'm confused... I've always heard/done "bitting up" for the show ring, but never bitting down... As requested earlier, can you explain your trainer's reasoning for it?

ETA: if your trainer wants an oxer that she can jump both ways, perhaps you can suggest to her setting a Swedish oxer.

They can both get heavy/low/strung out after the fence and it's just a more subtle, finessed way to help them collect back and up so they can balance for the change (or in preparation for learning the change). At horse shows, they get a light longe, a hack (from me), and a pro-school in the warm-ups before I show, so they are nice and relaxed (only about 30-40 minutes of work total before we go into the show ring, but it gets their brains going and their legs moving); we also like the look of snaffles and since they behave just fine after they've been set up, there's no need for the extra oomph.

The dark green is a Swedish with drop rails and ground lines...the white and yellow is a square oxer with drop rails and ground lines as well; I don't see what's wrong with either of them. I've been riding my entire life and have seen jumps like that time and time again; care to elaborate?

InstigatorKate
May. 16, 2009, 07:24 PM
The dark green is a Swedish with drop rails and ground lines...the white and yellow is a square oxer with drop rails and ground lines as well; I don't see what's wrong with either of them. I've been riding my entire life and have seen jumps like that time and time again; care to elaborate?

Ooops, you're right, I found a shot where you can see there is a vertical rail on the back of the black and white oxer....optical illusion. It looked like a x-rail oxer where the front is an x and the back is straight accross. The problem with jumping one of those backwards is that the horse doesn't necessarily see the x until they're already making their jumping effort and can come down on the x-part and injure themselves. I stand corrected though.

Rhody Ram
May. 16, 2009, 08:05 PM
As for pelhams in the hunter ring... The only people who have a problem with it are the inexperienced ones whispering from the sidelines. Most judges know that not only is there nothing wrong with the bit, but it is better o/f than a snaffle for many horses. No judge is going to knock a hunter wearing a pelham off the card for only that reason. If they do, they shouldn't be judging. If your horse goes best in a pelham, then show him in it and don't listen to what anyone says.

I too, school my hunter in a pelham. I plan to show him in the eq in it. It helps immensely with his flatwork and changes. He has never gone so well on the flat. It also helps him o/f. He tends to go on his forehand a little too much. The pelham helps him to jump UP and cute, because it helps him rock back on his hind end. When I show, I will change back to the MM happy bit for the hunters.

I took the curb chain off and put a western leather curb strap on. I LOVE that thing. So much softer. The hunter hates the curb so I keep it loose, but the jumper likes it a little tighter.

cantercutie
May. 16, 2009, 09:15 PM
I didn't watch the whole video, but he looks like a very cute horse! However, from the part I did watch he looked like he was hanging on the bit a little especially on the lead changes (maybe it was just the part I saw but just something to work on). Also, I am not a huge fan of Pelhams in the hunters, but, really, it's not a big deal if you or anyone else does!

LetsRide
May. 17, 2009, 12:39 AM
Is the horse in this thread, the same horse, you wrote previously about here?

he is incredibly fancy and very, very talented and will have no trouble getting top ribbons in the pre-greens under my trainer this summer at major AA shows

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showpost.php?p=3851465&postcount=1

:confused:

Punkie
May. 17, 2009, 01:02 AM
Is the horse in this thread, the same horse, you wrote previously about here?

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showpost.php?p=3851465&postcount=1

:confused:

Same horse; opinion of my trainers and a few professional acquaintances that have seen him go. I decided to keep him for now (I seem to do that a lot; it's hard not to fall in love!), but we'll see what the next few show seasons bring.

If you don't have the same opinion of him, that's totally fine!! Though whoever mentioned that he'd like a little filler under the jumps was right; he warmed up at a local rated show today and seemed very impressed by all of the brush and flowers and boxes. He definitely wasn't being lazy with his limbs today. I guess only time will tell if he's as successful as folks seem to think he'll be :)

Jeepgirl
May. 17, 2009, 10:00 PM
What a fabulous birthday present! I think he is cute! Although those fences definitely don't look like 3', they look more 2'3 to me. Do you have video of him over bigger fences?

Good luck!

RugBug
May. 18, 2009, 12:51 PM
Cute horse.

What a fabulous birthday present! I think he is cute! Although those fences definitely don't look like 3', they look more 2'3 to me. Do you have video of him over bigger fences?

Jumps often look smaller when video'd or photographed from this angle. I never would've thought it was true, until I've seen the pictures/videos of me over courses that I know were at height and then look TINY in pictures or video.

In fact, I just watched a video of my horse at 2'6" and it looks about 2' to me. I have photos that show the holes on the standards (JumpPVC) and the cups are definitely on 2'6". It's optical illusion.

The jumps in the OP's video look between 2'6" - and 2'9" to me, but it's quite possible the angle has something to do with it.