PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have Tipperary Sportage Plus helmets

KPF
May. 15, 2009, 09:59 AM
I ordered one of these online and I have a question about the liner. When I put the helmet on, it seems to fit but the liner wants to come out on the front... there are these little plastic triangular things on the very front of the same piece that has the front padding and velcros to each side by the ear loops. I'm thinking the triangular things are supposed to slide between the padding and the "styrofoam" shell part of the helmet, but they won't stay there. Is there something wrong with this particular helmet or am I missing something here??? I'm wondering if I should send the helmet back. Thanks!:)

dab
May. 15, 2009, 02:22 PM
I have this helmet, and have never noticed a problem -- But, I don't use it often as I keep it at a barn where I rarely ride -- Next time I'm there, I'll look more carefully at the helmet --

jen-s
May. 15, 2009, 02:23 PM
Ditto what Dab said. I'm heading out to the barn tonight after work, so I'll check then. FWIW, I love my Tipp.

Come Shine
May. 15, 2009, 02:41 PM
I have the same problem with mine.

touchstone-
May. 15, 2009, 02:50 PM
May I hijack?

I really want to buy one of these helmets, but my local tack store doesn't stock them. Can you faithful wearers tell me how the sizing runs? I wear a 7 in CO and IRH and have a long ovalish head (GPA does not fit at all). I can't tell from the sizing chart whether that will make me a M or L.

Come Shine
May. 15, 2009, 03:07 PM
My understanding, in our area, was that they were pulled because of complaints, so the tack stores are waiting until the 'old' version becomes available again.

KPF
May. 15, 2009, 03:23 PM
Well, I bought it on ebay and even though it was represented as basically new, with no problems other than a couple scratches from being in a tack box, the seller won't take it back. :no: I mean, I had no problem with the scratches but I can't even use the damn thing as it is. Maybe I'll try to glue those little suckers back into place and see if that works. I'm a little hesitant to do that because I don't know if glue could compromise the integrity of the helmet?

ComeShine-- interesting that you have the same problem with yours. I put mine on my head to use in my lesson last night and felt it seperate on me, I was like, crap-- fat lot of good that'll do me if I come off.

Does anyone know if Tipperary has a website/customer service #? This helmet is less than a year old and I'd consider it a manufacturer's defect. I'm guessing maybe it was glued originally and the glue dried out???

KPF
May. 15, 2009, 10:41 PM
The seller decided to refund my money after all. I'm glad there are still honest people on ebay. I'll only buy brand new helmets from tack shops after this, though. Guess I'll wait for the new "old" Sportage to come out and get one of them. I really need a cooler helmet for the summer.:)

sisu27
May. 27, 2009, 01:57 PM
My understanding, in our area, was that they were pulled because of complaints, so the tack stores are waiting until the 'old' version becomes available again.

Well...not really. The original was more long oval and the plus was more round. I have also heard they had their manufacturing machines (what ever they are called??) stolen and decided that the original fit more heads so to go back to that style.

I have been told that the new one should be available in June.

dressagejudy
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:14 PM
So, does this mean if I liked the way my friends Tipperary Sportage Plus fit my head, I won't like the Tipperary 8500?
Thanks for any input. I've been riding in a Troxel Legacy Gold for years, but need a new helmet and my friend recommended her Tipperary Plus. But, since they don't make them anymore all I can find is the 8500. I do have a rounder head...
Judy

dressagejudy
Oct. 23, 2009, 11:27 AM
Trying on a bunch would be great, but I don't have a place to do that, so I'm having to order online. That is why I tried on my friends Plus and loved it. I was just trying to find out the big difference in the 8500 compared to the Plus, since that is all that is available now.
Judy

GreyDes
Oct. 23, 2009, 11:34 AM
There's a BIG difference in fit between the Plus and the 8500. I had the Plus, and must have been one of the few people it actually fit :)

My Plus had the same glue issue as the OP, and I was going to replace it with the new model. Fortunately, the saleswomen at the tack store knew her stuff and actually had me try the helmet on. I couldn't wear the 8500 at all - way too long/narrow for my head. Ended up spending more than I had planned, and getting a CO (which fits me perfectly and I LOVE, so I suppose I should stop grumbling...)

Anyway, I loved the helmet, but you'll definitely want to try on the 8500. If the Plus fit you well, the new model may not work for you.

joiedevie99
Oct. 23, 2009, 12:06 PM
I loved my original Sportage, and love my new 8500 - but could not wear the Plus.