PDA

View Full Version : Anteres off-the-rack saddles?

mvp
May. 14, 2009, 10:19 PM
Any of you guys tried and liked these? If so, on what shape off horse? Hated it on a particular kind of horse?

I'm opening my mind... but only $2,700 far, not all the way open to $4K.

TIA

jmjhp
May. 14, 2009, 11:07 PM
What is the twist like on these saddles?

mvp
May. 15, 2009, 08:42 AM
Beuller? Beuller? Anyone?

Bolero
May. 15, 2009, 08:50 AM
I've sat in one before! They are quite comfortable, they have a narrow twist. I think you are getting a lot of saddle for the $$

Heineken
May. 15, 2009, 08:51 AM
I personally LOVE the Hampton saddle and as soon as possible plan on buying one. Loved where it put me and how it fit a variety of horses.

MissintheSouth
May. 15, 2009, 09:33 AM
I like the Hampton. A friend of mine test rode in one and loved it.

But for the $2,500 range you could get a very nice used Antares (or Devoucoux, etc) if the off-the-rack didn't fit. The Antares rep at WEF was really easy to work with (a girl, whose name has just evaporated from my brain) and was able to get me a few different saddles all in my price range ($2,500) that I tried.

Mel0309
May. 15, 2009, 10:17 AM
I have the Hampton and I just love it. It puts me in a great position and has fit every pony and horse I have put it on! I now have one pony who won't ride in anything else... I got the wide/open tree because most of the ones I ride are wide.

The leather on this saddle is really soft (once oiled) but I will caution you that it scratches easily. Had a pony spook while I was untacking and it fell on the asphalt and now I have a gash on the cantle. :(

Woodsperson
May. 15, 2009, 10:23 AM
I have Hampton saddle and like it; so does my daughter. Antares Rep Tom Pickard tried a few on my horse (and me) and then ordered what we needed in the Hampton. I would have gone custom if required to get a good fit, but was glad we didn't have to.

Pirateer
May. 15, 2009, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure I like the look of either the Spooner or the Hampton (the OTR saddles). My used Antares was less than either of those, but I do plan on buying the Hampton leathers ;)

LShipley
May. 15, 2009, 04:34 PM
I bought an Antares Spooner in October 2008. The used Antares I found were $2400, and I figured why not pay $400 more for a brand new one. I chose the Spooner because my mare needs a wide tree. She is a 14.2 QH - she looks more like a mini warmblood than a QH. She has a broad back, wide shoulders, low withers, and a downhill build. Despite this downhill build, the saddle does not need any corrective padding, as one saddle fitter had thought.

My previous saddle did not fit, so the things I like about this saddle are somewhat influenced by this. I feel very close contact with my hrose's back - I can feel her mvoement much more clearly than before. Also, the stirrup bars are well placed for, the half deep seat works well for me.... There are many many things I like about this saddle for me - but mostly my position has improved because I am sititng on a saddle that fits my horse correctly.

Because the saddle is wide, the twist is a little wider. I am a small person, but the twist is not so wide that I find it uncomfortable.

Peggy
May. 15, 2009, 07:09 PM
I have one, along with 7 or so people in my barn. Great saddle for the price. The trainer's did split at the seam to the seat but that one got a lot of use. Mine is almost four years old. IMHO, it is a touch better balanced a horse that's a little downhill. I rode such a horse over the summer and liked the way it felt on him better than on my own horse (who is not only uphill, but somewhat dipped in the back too). In fact, that horse's owner liked my saddle so much on her horse that she offered to trade her new Hermes for mine.

mvp
May. 15, 2009, 10:37 PM
Do these fit the wither-hollowed horses?

Peggy
May. 16, 2009, 01:45 AM
Do these fit the wither-hollowed horses?Hollowed side-to-side or behind the withers?

mvp
May. 16, 2009, 11:04 AM
Peggy-- I'd say I mean both to a degree. Think of what others mean by "shark fin."

These horses, IMO, need thick panels or a very tall pommel and banana-shaped tree if they aren't too flat and broad behind. I think many wide-tree candidates like mine categorically get in trouble with French trees, but I'm not absolutely certain. That's why I'm re-prying my mind open to a saddle built on one.

I think shark-finners also need thicker and longer panels over the trapezius. So a panel that measures a linear (the tape wrapped over the surface of the panel) 5" at a 45 degree angle from the front point of the panel to the place where it joins the sweat flap won't extend down far enough over the wither hollows. A 7-incher does better.

If that's clear enough, does anyone want to measure their Anteres Hampton Classic for me?

TIA again.

LetsRide
May. 16, 2009, 11:17 AM
Peggy-- I'd say I mean both to a degree. Think of what others mean by "shark fin."

These horses, IMO, need thick panels or a very tall pommel and banana-shaped tree if they aren't too flat and broad behind. I think many wide-tree candidates like mine categorically get in trouble with French trees, but I'm not absolutely certain. That's why I'm re-prying my mind open to a saddle built on one.
I think shark-finners also need thicker and longer panels over the trapezius. So a panel that measures a linear (the tape wrapped over the surface of the panel) 5" at a 45 degree angle from the front point of the panel to the place where it joins the sweat flap won't extend down far enough over the wither hollows. A 7-incher does better.

If that's clear enough, does anyone want to measure their Anteres Hampton Classic for me?

TIA again.

The off-the-rack ANTARES are not made on FRENCH made saddle trees though. Those saddle trees are actually British made in the UK. That is what I was told by Brad at Antares when I was vacillating about buying either the new Spooner saddle off-the -rack or a used custom Antares. Bought a barely used all calfskin for about that same $$$$ as a new Spooner. Either way they are very nice saddles.

;)

Peggy
May. 16, 2009, 06:57 PM
I can attempt to remember and then attempt to measure mine tomorrow.

SmartPak will let you take one on trial. Basically you buy it and then keep it if you like it. At least they used to.

Rhody Ram
May. 16, 2009, 08:22 PM
Whoa. http://cgi.ebay.com/BEVAL-BUTET-french-close-contact-jumping-saddle-17-M_W0QQitemZ150344135414QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item23013572f6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ht_914wt _969

Peggy
Jun. 13, 2009, 07:48 PM

TIA again.

I finally remembered to measure. Assuming I did it right it was just about 7" by the time the panel actually intersected with the sweat flap (the tape rounded the bend and went down to the sweat flap). I don't know if the newer ones would measure the same way. FWIW mine is a 17.5" with a "3" flap. You've probably moved on by now, but I was somewhat curious as to how mine would measure. Unfortunately I had a tendency to remember only when I was on one of the assortment of freeways that I take home from the barn.