PDA

View Full Version : Norhtern IL/Southern WI Hunter/Jumper Barns/Trainers?

preciouspony
May. 14, 2009, 09:46 PM
I'm on the lookout for reputable hunter/jumper barns and trainers.

If anyone could PM with suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

RumoursFollow
May. 14, 2009, 10:24 PM
If you're willing to drive to Mettawa (Libertyville/Forrest .. uh.. oh heck I'm from Indiana and I dont know.. lol)which I want to say would qualify for that area I would call Connie Stevens (www.matchmakerltd.com). First class barn, great instruction, and just really a nice person.

JustJumpIt111
May. 14, 2009, 10:45 PM
I also highly recommend Connie Stevens.

samtoney
May. 14, 2009, 11:52 PM
laura trippty....can't remember off of the top of my head what the farm name is.

eqrdr92
May. 15, 2009, 12:17 AM
I pm-ed you, but I'm guessing you can probably take the subject of this thread (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=198987) off your list :yes:

Podapants
May. 15, 2009, 12:25 AM
Try Denise Lenn of Old Welbourne or Amy Farmer at Celebration Farm. Both work out of Shadowbrook Farm in Mettawa, IL... It's about 5 minutes from the tollway/ IL rt 60. They are both awesome :)

huntr_eq_blonde
May. 15, 2009, 05:36 PM
Having been around the block and then some in what is known as finding a barn, here's what I can tell you:

Avoid:
1. Fields and Fences - yikes! Rode lesson horses there--half dead. Rode a private pony there. Anita (BO) is crazy! [Gurnee, IL]
2. Meadow Ridge - dump
3. Cross Winds Farm - went to a show there...just okay

(I have a whole list of stables I've visited that weren't good...can't remember them off the top of my head...will find that list)

Matchmaker Ltd. [Mettawa, IL] with Connie Stevens is fantastic...if you have a lot of money and are okay with Connie being gone to shows almost every other weekend. If you are an A/AA or Maclay level rider, go fot it. Lessons would be cancelled a lot, and you weren't guaranteed to have a lesson with Connie herself. Will sometimes get her barn manager Adam for lessons. Doesn't have any lesson horses. I rode her private horses. She then basically kicked me out because we wouldn't buy a horse or lease one for the summer for $12,000.

Again, if you have the money, check out Happenstance Farm [Zion], Hidden Knoll Farm [Wadsworth/Zion], Countryside Turf Club [Mundelein], and Country Ridge Stables [Mundelein].

Visited Hidden Knoll...amazing. Brand new facilities...just huge!! Lost of money.

Rode at Country Ridge for a short while. Again, gorgeous.

Best instructor I've had in my entire life is Ken Dierks at Stonehedge Farm [Union Grove, WI]. Love Ken but he is kind of flaky...late for lessons or cancels, etc. Still the best. (Basically an eventing barn though).

Hope that helps!
:)

preciouspony
May. 15, 2009, 05:39 PM
Oh Kenny. hahaha.
He used to teach lessons to eventers at a barn I used to board at. He's an interesting guy.

I'm deffinitly going to check out the barns everyone mentioned.
I looked at the Hidden Knoll website and it is beautiful!

starrunner
May. 15, 2009, 05:45 PM
I had a nice experience with Camelot Farms in Oswego, but I'm not a H/J person, so take that into consideration, but I have a good friend that rides there and loves it!

preciouspony
May. 15, 2009, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know who is training out of Daybreak Farms now?
I know there are some hunter jumper trainers there.

Jessyka89
May. 15, 2009, 06:33 PM
I have friends that ride and board at Hidden Knoll with Jill. I've only heard amazing things about her and I've also heard her new assistant trainer is VERY good. I've taken a lesson out there and the facilities are AMAZING and the school horses are super nice as well. The indoor arena is a little mind-blowing.

stfatpony
May. 15, 2009, 07:34 PM
This is a little OT, but just wondering: are Kris Yankula, Jim Bolens, Nancy Zeis, Teresa Bibro, Hunter Ridge Farm, Lion's Run Farm, Country Club, Evergreen Farm, Impressive Stables, Circle M, still around? I don't know if any of these people/places are good or not, I just remember the names from when I was a small child and lived out that way. Thanks for any info!

snaffle635
May. 15, 2009, 09:05 PM
This is a little OT, but just wondering: are Kris Yankula, Jim Bolens, Nancy Zeis, Teresa Bibro, Hunter Ridge Farm, Lion's Run Farm, Country Club, Evergreen Farm, Impressive Stables, Circle M, still around? I don't know if any of these people/places are good or not, I just remember the names from when I was a small child and lived out that way. Thanks for any info!

Nancy is the in-gate manager at all the Ledges and Lamplight shows. Nancy rocks!

Laguna 007
May. 15, 2009, 09:17 PM
Nancy rocks!

:yes:

JOBEAN
May. 15, 2009, 10:06 PM
I have friends that ride and board at Hidden Knoll with Jill. I've only heard amazing things about her and I've also heard her new assistant trainer is VERY good. I've taken a lesson out there and the facilities are AMAZING and the school horses are super nice as well. The indoor arena is a little mind-blowing.

Jenn Tirrell.. Jill's new assistant trainer is AMAZING. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go take a lesson with her and you'll never want to train with anyone else.
She's a great horsewomen...Jumpers Hunters you name it.... Zone 2 is missing a great trainer.:sadsmile:

RumoursFollow
May. 15, 2009, 11:14 PM
Just wanted to pipe in and say that I havent taken a lesson from Adam Glas (Connie Stevens assistant) but that I know he wouldnt be working there if he werent great, so a lesson from him is probably worth your time.

I am a professional and take horses to Connie when I need help. I have very much enjoyed and benefitted from her instruction and am always wanting more. She is a wonderful teacher.

huntr_eq_blonde
May. 16, 2009, 10:40 AM
To the above--

Connie IS a great teacher, and I got to ride some great high six-figure horses there. However, IMO, if you don't shell out big money after awhile, you're nothing to Connie.

Adam is no Connie. The whole point of training with Connie is having lessons with her, not her assistant. (Guess Adam and I didn't work well together...)

Gray Horse H/J
May. 16, 2009, 11:41 AM

Nancy and her daughter currently have Infinity Farm in Wonder Lake. And like someone else said, Nancy also runs the in-gate at shows.

Serah
May. 16, 2009, 06:46 PM
If you're looking to do the AA's in northern IL... in my opinion no one beats Brookwood... Kudos to Carl for winning the hunter derby in KY last week btw...

Does Jill have an outdoor yet??? Anyone know?

Nikki Jewell is at daybreak along with many others...Nikki is GOOD people!

I would second Denise Lenn at Shadowbrook...

Smaller scale trainers at Brighton and Millcreek if you're not looking to do the big AA's.

WIExpat
May. 16, 2009, 07:00 PM
How far into Wisconsin are you willing to go? PM me and I'll give you my suggestions...

Jessyka89
May. 16, 2009, 07:12 PM
I'm not 100% but I don't think Hidden Knoll has an outdoor yet.

diva4ever
May. 16, 2009, 07:29 PM
Depending where you live and how far you want to drive, Nancy and Atilla at Crossroads Farm in Hartford, WI are great! They show mainly in the Illinois A/AA show circuit, including Ledges and Lamplight, but also go to St. Louis and sometimes Minnesota - basically wherever you want to go, they'll take you. Atilla is doing the Prix's with his horse, Untouchable (aka Anaka) this year, so he'll be at Ledges next week. Crossroads is a full service barn and all of the boarders and lessoners are great. It's a relaxed yet somewhat competetive (as much as you want it to be) atomosphere. See crossroadsfarmonline.com for more info (or PM me).

Lilykoi
May. 16, 2009, 08:25 PM

Kris has her own place, Market Hill, in Wauconda. Country Club is now a Reining barn. Evergreen is private, owned by MK Pritzker. Katie Geraldi is her trainer. Not sure about the rest.

BKDressage
May. 16, 2009, 09:05 PM
DIANE CARNEY... Telluride farm...She is a replica of George! Shes the BEST!!! Thats all I have to say!!

htrjmpr
May. 17, 2009, 10:30 AM
I ride at Geneva Equestrian. Love it there. They are more geared to eventing, although the trainer there is well versed in showing and eventing. I would be interested in hearing of more barns too, as I would like to find another place that does more shows and also maybe a few more horses to ride and possibly work or do working student type things.

htrjmpr
May. 17, 2009, 10:35 AM
I will also add I have ridden with Kate Reuter at Newstone farm in Oconomowoc and she is fantastic. She is on the road alot for shows and does not have any school horses.

mimeismoney
Jun. 25, 2009, 05:37 PM
Infinity Farm (Nancy Zeis/Amanda Hedman) is in Wauconda, IL, not Wonder Lake.

Gray Horse H/J
Jun. 25, 2009, 06:18 PM
Infinity Farm (Nancy Zeis/Amanda Hedman) is in Wauconda, IL, not Wonder Lake.

My bad! I've only been to their barn a couple of times, and I never really get out to that area at all. My boyfriend's dad recently moved to Wonder Lake, maybe that's where I got it from. Thanks for the correction. :)

reallyredflowers
Jun. 25, 2009, 06:26 PM
Does anyone know if Jeannine Lamb is still around, Winter Meadow Farm? I remember Diane used to have horses at that farm in Mundelein...but that was AGES ago.
I see lots of posts about H/J barns in that area but never any mention of Jeannie.
Diane Carney is indeed fantastic!

Smiles
Jun. 25, 2009, 06:37 PM
Jeannine Lamb is still teaching and training I know she was at spring spec shows.

dags
Jun. 26, 2009, 12:36 PM
Just visited Jill's new place yesterday, it was a jaw-dropping experience. The place is massive, the indoor ring is massive and has lots of great natural light. Footing is absolutely top-notch and they are meticulous in its maintenance. They have an indoor euro-walker as well as an equi-ciser. Stalls are large, well-bedded and upper-half on 3 sides is barred for ventilation. Lots of turnout and also some trails. Saw the spot where the outdoor ring will go and it is next on the list, followed by a hunt field to go in in the front half of the property.

It is a dream setup to run a high-end training operation, and I wouldn't be surprised if it costs. There is also a lovely and very large viewing lounge complete with bar and kitchen area. Big wood lockers, laundry facilities, tons of grass . . . I could go on and on! (and Jill is very good to her horses. She truly loves them)

If you want to be along that IL/WI border I highly recommend. I'm going back out next week to ride myself!

thebp
Jun. 26, 2009, 01:32 PM
cOuld I get contact info for Jill please?
Thanks

LuvMyTB
Jun. 26, 2009, 01:33 PM
Depending on how far you're willing to drive, there's also Alex Jayne (along with Maggie & Charlie) at Our Day Farm in Elgin and Steve Schaefer at Grove Place in Maple Park (newer facility, really nice).

You might go to www.showplaceproductions.com, browse through the results, and compile a short list of the winning barns. You could also download the AA prizelist and check out the ads--lots of the BNTs in this area do big advertisements there.

Giddy-up
Jun. 26, 2009, 02:00 PM

Kris is Market Hill Farm & built new place a few years ago--Wauconda area maybe?

Jim Bolen is right at the IL/WI border off Rt 47--State Line Farm.

Nancy is Infinity Farm with her daughter Amanda Hedman in Wauconda. She also works in-gates for Showplace Productions.

Was Hunter Ridge Nancy's?

Evergreen was sold & totally re-vamped (BEAUTIFUL) for a private barn. The Pritzker's (sp?) own it. They've held a hunter & jumper derby the last couple years & it's lovely.

Impressive (I assume you mean off Rt 59?) was torn down eventually. Most of the barns in that triangle of Rt 59/Schaumburg/Streamwood Roads(Canterbury, Meadow Brook, etc...) are long gone & now houses are there. I believe only Little Creek (Sue Nickels) remains? Canterbury re-built a new facility in Hampshire (Greg Franklin & Diane Carney is there too) & Meadow Brook (Helmut Schrant) re-built in Burlington.

dags
Jun. 26, 2009, 02:20 PM
cOuld I get contact info for Jill please?
Thanks

Should all be here: http://www.hiddenknollfarm.com/

Hydrak
Jun. 27, 2009, 12:56 AM
Should all be here: http://www.hiddenknollfarm.com/

If you go to hidden knoll farm you will get to ride with Jenn Tirrell - she happens to be one of the best trainers around - she's an amazing teacher, AND a good horse person. She's honest and smart and will really work with you to achieve your riding goals. You are really lucky to have an opportunity to ride with her.

pds
Jun. 27, 2009, 10:14 PM
DIANE CARNEY... Telluride farm...She is a replica of George! Shes the BEST!!! Thats all I have to say!!

Ditto! DC is super. You will learn more from her in one lesson than you will in 4 months with most others.

Link to her website. http://telluridefarm.com/