PDA

View Full Version : High Prairie Spring Classic

Ride'emCO
May. 14, 2009, 05:33 PM
Anyone going? I'm in town for a bit over a week, from NoVa. I'll be there Friday, and would love to meet some fellow CoTHers... :)

Parker_Rider
May. 14, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm going to be there!!! Just doing the jumpers this week in ring 2. What are you doing out here from NoVa?!

Plumcreek
May. 15, 2009, 12:04 AM
I may get by Friday am. I will PM my cell phone number.

Kenike
May. 15, 2009, 01:27 AM
Not this time...sorry :( Too many other things going on around here, including a visit from hubby's cousin.

shmon
May. 15, 2009, 03:47 PM
My barn is there, but I'm not showing...might go down to spectate this weekend, though.

Ride'emCO
May. 16, 2009, 03:22 PM
Well, I texted the people who PM'd me with their numbers, but didn't manage to catch up to any of them. :no:

But, what a lovely show! The facility is really nice (what I saw of it) and things seemed to run very smoothly. My only question: is the turnout at this particular show typical for the area? Or are numbers down a bit? There were quite a few entries in the Modified Open Hunters, but the other divisions I saw seemed a bit on the sparse side. Mind you, I didn't make it there in time for the Pre-Greens or Regulars, which were really what I wanted to see... Oh well, next time.

I'm scoping out the scene in CO, and it's nice to see that the area I'm considering moving to has such nice people and horses! I saw some that I wouldn't mind taking home! (Horses, that is, lol. Not people.)

Shmon, what barn do you ride with?

Plumcreek
May. 16, 2009, 07:12 PM
Oh, umm, I don't text. Don't even know how to or if my phone can.

Glad you liked the show - that is my favorite facility. I think the H-J people here are the best. Normally that is a well-filled show. I should have mentioned to go take a look at the Natl Western Events Center on 1-70 N of downtown which had a QH show going on. It is a nice totally indoor facility, but the 8 X 10 stalls and the single show arena are not friendly to H-J horses, so only one show there.

FAW
May. 16, 2009, 09:57 PM
Looking at Horseshowtime.com, this week shows about 500 horses.. that's good for the spring show. Last week a bit over 300 which is average for the Spring Show. We'll see next week.

Parker_Rider
May. 16, 2009, 10:51 PM
I didn't get your text!!! sad day! I think my blackberry has been dropped one too many times...
There are a lot of people here for spring, I've been impressed with turnout so far. Pretty much all of the trainers there are good people with good clients. Of course there are always some bad apples but you know... ;) For the most part I love the people at the shows.

shmon
May. 17, 2009, 03:54 PM
I think week 2 was sold out, if I heard correctly...and there are still stalls for week 3. I did not make it down this weekend but was proud to see that the barn had a very successful week!

FAW
May. 17, 2009, 08:27 PM
500 is darn good for that show in the spring since they are only using the three barns and two tents

Ride'emCO
May. 29, 2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I didn't mean to imply any negative connotation by my question, I was delighted with the atmosphere of the show; everyone was so calm and happy instead of running around like headless chickens! :lol:

Looks like I'm moving out your way, either October or (more likely) Feb/March time frame. I'll be up in the Erie/Louisville/Lafayette area.

So now I have to start researching barns/trainers/shipping! :eek:

Plumcreek
May. 29, 2009, 05:37 PM
Welcome. I would wait until March, Feb. can be rough weather. April would be better.

Long Spot
May. 29, 2009, 06:28 PM
Ride'em, I think you'll just love it. I lived there for about ten years. I loved the High Prarie shows. Very well run. And the horse people in the Denver Metro area are just the best. (Not to mention just people in general are great) Almost everyone is super friendly and fun and all about having a great time with their horses.

I really miss living there. Good times.

Ride'emCO
May. 29, 2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks, guys! Most of me is :D but part of me is :uhoh:...It's a LOT to plan and a big change. BF wants me to move out there in Oct, but that's just too soon...

Long Spot I agree the people are SO nice! I had 3 different conversations with total strangers while waiting for my coffee at Starbucks on the way to the show. :p That doesn't happen in NoVa...

Parker_Rider
May. 29, 2009, 09:11 PM
Yay!!! Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone in the Eerie area... if I'm correct, there's a brand new facility near Golden: Indian Hills Equestrian Center. It's absolutely GORGEOUS and my mom talked to the lady who owned the barn (her daughter was showing in my class too) and said she was really sweet and super chatty. Might be something you could check out? And just keep your eye on the weather... This year, shipping in Feb would have been ideal, whereas March and April provided setback after setback for shipping. At least you don't have to worry about coming in over mountain passes! :) but the plains can be just as bad, if not worse, so... just depends on the year we're gonna have.

FAW
May. 29, 2009, 09:54 PM
Hobby Horse is off of I25 in Erie.. Cynthia Moore at JK Ranch in Boulder ( closer to east of Boulder)

Ride'emCO
May. 30, 2009, 12:39 AM
I visited the local tack shop when I was out - The Tack Collection. The owner (a man, whose name I unfortunately cannot recall) gave me lots of info on the area. Cynthia Moore was a trainer he suggested to me.

I have contacts with Michael Dennehy as well as Randy Henry, but they're awfully far for boarding. I was thinking I could find a boarding barn closer to where I'll be, then meet Michael or Randy at shows and travel in to his/her facility as necessary.

I've already decided to fly Reese out instead of shipping him by trailer - it's worth the money for me to shorten his trip to 4-5 hours from 1-2 weeks...

Ride'emCO
May. 30, 2009, 12:55 AM
Oh, and I was also considering Mark Mead and Laurie Jeunemann. If anyone local could PM me with their impressions of the trainers I've named, that would be REALLY helpful. Thanks!

FAW
May. 30, 2009, 10:49 AM
I visited the local tack shop when I was out - The Tack Collection. The owner (a man, whose name I unfortunately cannot recall) gave me lots of info on the area. Cynthia Moore was a trainer he suggested to me.

I have contacts with Michael Dennehy as well as Randy Henry, but they're awfully far for boarding. I was thinking I could find a boarding barn closer to where I'll be, then meet Michael or Randy at shows and travel in to his/her facility as necessary.

I've already decided to fly Reese out instead of shipping him by trailer - it's worth the money for me to shorten his trip to 4-5 hours from 1-2 weeks...

I can tell you from experience if you settle in the Lafayette area, its a good hour via the E470 toll road ( way less traffic than I25) to High Prairie in Parker. Michael Dennehy is in Elizabeth at a barn I used to go to and that is 15-20 beyond HP. Quite a drive if you want to ride more than once a week. Mark Mead is in the Berthoud area, half hour maybe more one way from Lafayette.

You spoke to Brad at the Tack Collection... FYI, Cynthia Moore and JK ranch is five minutes away from the Tack Collection. Before you scratch her off and pay big bucks for a big name, talk to her, watch her lessons, look the facility over. She's there Tues-Sat after 10a to 6pm except when shows are going on. Why drive forever when you can ride everyday??

Parker_Rider
May. 30, 2009, 05:55 PM
I don't mind publicly telling you that I LOVE mark mead!!! My mare jumps liverpools because of him ;) He's wonderfully personable and a very effective trainer. If I had gone to CU I would have ridden with him. He's encouraging, too.
Plus, he made my week during week 2 of the show hearing him (of all people!) tell his rider at the in-gate to "Ride it like you stole it!!" I just about died laughing!

Michael's a wizard (though if he is present, I will inevitably screw up big time! it's a wonder I survived the GM clinic with him there! ;)) but I drive down to the horse park to ride from Denver and it's almost too far for me.
Randy is tough from what I've heard, but man do her riders do extremely well. I don't know her personally, so I can't give you any more feedback than that. She did have a rider a while back go to Maclay finals.. Kate Hart I believe that girl's name was... super sweet girl, beautiful rider and her horses were all gorgeous. So I've always associated Randy with that.

Pretty much, there are very few trainers that you would hear about at the horse park or through a reputable tack store that aren't worth your money. Amazingly, most trainers in this area are great horse people and good trainers, you just have to find the one that you mesh with the best.
The only bad one I know is too far from you to matter, so it's a moot point ;)

Plumcreek
May. 30, 2009, 06:59 PM
Two things about that area between Boulder and Berthod: You may want to avoid the low lying really green areas due to Mosquitos (like right now my friend's horses in Mead are being swarmed by them (but she does have big irrigation and waist high grass. I have no mosquitos down S of Denver, on a creek even, but 8" grass). Right near the Hogback (first red rock hills before the mountains) the winds can flatten you in Spring.

Colorado is the 'too' state. We have BIG WEATHER. It is always too windy, or too hot and still, or too much drought or too much rain/snow, seldom a happy medium.