PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Hair Look For Really Short Hair

katie16
May. 14, 2009, 12:27 PM
First, let me say that I have seen the step-by-step guide that Sing Me A Song put together. She did an excellent job!

However, I am wondering if instead of the pantyhose anyone has tried simply using a nylon headband and then covering it with the hairnet?

I have a young (9yrs) walk-trot student who has a very short bob-type haircut. The front pieces are long, but not so long that the can reach all the way to her ears. The back is REALLY short. While I think the pantyhose method is great, I am not sure she can manage it by herself. I am trying to find a solution that she might be able to do herself so that it doesn't take several people loads of time to do her hair on show morning. Also, keep in mind that the parents are very green to this right now so they are not really understanding what the big deal is!

Trixie
May. 14, 2009, 12:51 PM
When my hair was short I just layered on a bunch of the really heavy hairnets. Especially if it's long in front. Bobby pin as needed. A headband would probably also work.

Pirateer
May. 14, 2009, 12:56 PM
This worked on my chin-length layered and razored bob.

Basically is just like normal hunter hair, with a tweaking.

Lay hair out like normally, parted in middle.
Put on hairnet, front to back.
Use two TEENY ponytail things (like braidbands) to make two TEENY little ponytails, don't worry if front hair falls from pony because its caught in the net. Put 2nd hairnet on back to front, apply helmet, etc.

Thick hairnets work best to give the illusion of thicker "patties" above the ear.

Hunter Mom
May. 14, 2009, 02:06 PM
My hair and DD's hair are both quite short - bobs that are longer in front with bangs. We use hairnets that have been tied to make them smaller. I pull my hair back with an elastic headband, then put it into a hairnet, arranging it to have a little over hte ears. It does help that we both have thick hair. Under a helmet, it looks fine.

LH
May. 14, 2009, 03:35 PM
Put 2-3 of the heavy hairnets on head (cover earlobes at this point). Take an elastic ponytail holder and pull hairnets back (but not too tight) as if you have long hair and create a little ponytail out of the elastic around the hairnets -- it should be very low on the back of the head - near the neck. Flip the end up, pull hat on from back of the head first to hold end of hairnets up, then pull hat down.

Then, lift the hairnets up on the sides a little so they are not under the earlobe - voila, instant hunter hair at any length.

Silk
May. 14, 2009, 07:44 PM
I am not crazy...(repeat to self) but I use what is called a "Halo" which is mostly purchased by either chemo or alopecia patients. It is a"capless" wig...basically it is meant to be worn under a baseball cap. It does not add bulk to the top like a wig and will be as cool as regular, but it can have long sides that you can pull into a ponytail and do like normal, long hair. If I can find the link to it, i'll post it. It cost somewher around 35.00 and comes in many colors. Not sure it will go over for a young kid, but thought i'd throw it out.

shawneeAcres
May. 14, 2009, 08:09 PM
My God! Like anyone is REALLY looking at your hair! If hair is neatly done in a hairnet, who CARES if it is "hunter hair" sorry this is a PET PEEVE of mine, none of my kids show with "hunter hair" nor do I when I show, I honestly don't think I have had any different results when the class is pinned! :no:

dogchushu
May. 14, 2009, 08:43 PM
My God! Like anyone is REALLY looking at your hair! If hair is neatly done in a hairnet, who CARES if it is "hunter hair" sorry this is a PET PEEVE of mine, none of my kids show with "hunter hair" nor do I when I show, I honestly don't think I have had any different results when the class is pinned! :no:

You do it for the pictures! ;)

I have short hair and do what most posters here mentioned: pile on a bunch of hair nets, knot them in the back with a pony tail, and pretend it's hair over my ears rather than just a bunch of nets. You can't see the difference from a distance.

Why bother? As mentioned, for the pictures. Plus, the hair has to go somewhere. Mine is just long enough that it sticks out and pokes me without a hair net. I could deal with the sticking out (if not in a show), but the poking drives me batty!

fourmares
May. 15, 2009, 02:20 AM
I agree with ShawneeAcres. Who cares how you do your hair? And I have to add, hunter hair looks kind of stupid.

Trixie
May. 15, 2009, 09:20 AM
It goes along with creating a polished image.

Hair that's long in front, short in back can look MESSY under a helmet.

There's nothing wrong with making every effort to fit in and look put together.

shawneeAcres
May. 15, 2009, 09:26 AM
It goes along with creating a polished image.

Hair that's long in front, short in back can look MESSY under a helmet.

There's nothing wrong with making every effort to fit in and look put together.

Not to belabor the point, but, short hair, even long in front can easily be made very neat with a hairnet and pins, creating the "hunter hair" look is not necessary to be neat.

Trixie
May. 15, 2009, 09:54 AM
Well, it obviously matters to the OP, or she wouldn't have asked. Responding "who cares" doesn't answer her question.

katie16
May. 15, 2009, 11:06 AM
Well, it obviously matters to the OP, or she wouldn't have asked. Responding "who cares" doesn't answer her question.

Yes, the polished look does matter to me, thanks.

Seeing as this kid will be only be doing the walk-trot, I was not hung up on her having actual "hunter hair". I did try to get her hair done with just a net and some bobby pins. With the cut that she has, it didn't really work out so well. The longer front pieces ended up (while still in the hairnet) sort of coming out by her ears. It just wasn't as neat of a picture as it needs to be. That's why I posed the question - I need to find a way to neatly hold her hair against her head!

LivviesMom
May. 15, 2009, 11:14 AM

Agreed.. I've never understood what the big deal is with "hunter hair" I never do it lol.. I tie my hair up throw on a hair net, tuck it into my helmet and go. I rarely ever go for hunter hair lol. Never affected my placings..

fordtraktor
May. 15, 2009, 11:40 AM
If it is sticking out, use a hair net, lots of gel, and pins. Judges don't care if you have hair over your ears, but it does look untidy to have it sticking out everywhere.

I find that with now-required harnessed helmets, I can barely see whether a person has "hunter hair" or not.

eclipse
May. 15, 2009, 11:52 AM
I too don't get the hunter hair! I have short hair & just tuck it all up nice & neatly under my helmet. No hair sticking out, just nice & clean! (I don't have enough to put over my ears, but I don't like that look anyway)

Pirateer
May. 15, 2009, 01:08 PM
People who don't do "Hunter Hair" (unless they have really short hair) look like idiots.

Sue me, but it makes you look like you have Dumbo ears.

Good for the OP for actually trying to complete the look.

Sing Mia Song
May. 15, 2009, 01:39 PM
Katie, thanks for the complement! And, to answer your question, I have done it with a headband, but that was before I went blonde, :winkgrin: and I haven't been able to find a headband to match my current hair color.

I always have to laugh when people say "I do X and it's never affected my placings." I mean, short of point-blank asking the judge at every show, how do you know?

Hmm, sounds like thread spin-off. Stay tuned!

katie16
May. 15, 2009, 01:52 PM
Katie, thanks for the complement! And, to answer your question, I have done it with a headband, but that was before I went blonde, :winkgrin: and I haven't been able to find a headband to match my current hair color.

Good to know! The kid is supposed to be coming to her lesson tommorow with a nylon head band for us to try. Sounds like it should be fine!

fourmares
May. 16, 2009, 01:51 AM
How about a french braid? Or is the back too short?

Madeline
May. 16, 2009, 09:44 AM

Thank you!!!

(And I won't even mention the safety issue that hunter hair raises.)