PDA

View Full Version : A Shot In The Dark...Corpus Christi, TX Area Anyone?

ERollison
May. 14, 2009, 10:28 AM
Okay, I know this is probably a long shot, but I am moving to Kingsville, TX in the next month and was wondering if there are any good hunter trainers or shows down in that area.

I have a 5 year old gelding have started over fences but still need eyes on the ground to help us along. I am a capable rider and have been showing hunters for 22 years in SC and recently moved to TX and trained AQHA hunters. I am again out on my own and want to get this gelding going so I can take him to some shows in the future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Portia
May. 14, 2009, 10:50 AM
Boy, that's a tough one. There isn't anyone in the Valley listed on the THJA web site list of trainers (at http://www.thja.org ) The closest would probably be someone in the San Antonio area, which is barely "close" even in Texas terms.

That said, you're far more likely to find a QH trainer in that area who also does hunters than a regular H/J (non-breed) trainer. Is there a list of trainers on the AQHA website you could check?

tx3dayeventer
May. 14, 2009, 10:58 AM
Boy, that's a tough one. There isn't anyone in the Valley listed on the THJA web site list of trainers (at http://www.thja.org ) The closest would probably be someone in the San Antonio area, which is barely "close" even in Texas terms.

That said, you're far more likely to find a QH trainer in that area who also does hunters than a regular H/J (non-breed) trainer. Is there a list of trainers on the AQHA website you could check?

San Antonio is a good 3 hours from Corpus. I am not aware of many trainers down there but you might try the Third Coast Eventers and see if they know of anyone.

eventer80
May. 14, 2009, 11:11 AM
Hey there!! I lived in Freer, TX (an hour west of Kingsville) for a couple of years and the pickings are slim!!! There is one H/J in Robstown that I am going to have to look the name up for, they have a couple of schooling shows and a pretty decent trainer from what I understand. There is a H/J trainer in Laredo but am not sure of the name. Other than that, it is 2+ hourse to SA and then there are a couple of barns in the Valley 2+ hours.

I am trying to remember the trainers in South SA........ PM me if you want more info and I will try to post some more as I remember them.

ERollison
May. 14, 2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I have checked the thja site as well as the sthja site, what I have found I have not been so impressed with. If I was impressed my poor budget can't afford. Haha, Im still trying to find a job down there too! I just hate wasting a good horse that needs to be out there doing something. I know there is an AQHA trainer down there but I think he is western. Hmmm.... I hate moving to a new area and starting all over.

Portia
May. 14, 2009, 11:24 AM
Are you coming out of A&M? You might check with the Eq team coaches to see if they have any suggestions. And I know they have a big AQHA group there that might be able to give you some leads.

And come on, TX3day -- you know that in Texas anything under 3 hours away is "just down the road a piece." ;) :D

ERollison
May. 14, 2009, 12:35 PM
Yes, I finished in Dec with my Masters. The only reason I am moving down there is because my fiance is down at TAMUK working on his masters. So, now I get to leave my horsie friends here and uproot again and start all over. New farrier, new vet, new horsie friends (which I don't mind that, I love meeting new people), new feed store, etc..... UGH! What a pain!

ERollison
May. 14, 2009, 12:36 PM
As for the 3 hour drive, I am originally from SC it only takes 3 hours to get across the entire state!!! My trainers and shows were always 30 min away....oh yea wait I grew up near Camden (hunter capital of SC). Oh how I miss those days!

Nadonyalife
May. 14, 2009, 01:30 PM
Contact Tricia Murphy at Heather Ridge Farm in Corpus Christi. Nice, nice people, very experienced, do a few "A" shows every year, host some schooling shows (South Texas HJA). It's mostly a private, family-run business but they do take on a few clients. They know what they are doing.

ERollison
May. 14, 2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks, I emailed them this morning. I am glad to hear good words about them.

Nickelodian
May. 14, 2009, 03:52 PM
We have three horses in the barn that came from Heather Ridge, all are very nice well behaved guys with great brains. I've been told the facility is impeccable as well.

eventer80
May. 14, 2009, 04:42 PM
Heather Ridge is the barn I was trying to think of!! I tried a horse there once while I was in Freer. The place was beautiful and the trainer seemed knowledgable. I think it's in Robstown which is just outside Corpus. Maybe and hour from you..........

You may want to check the website www.texashorseenthusiasts.com . They are people fromTexas and are ussually a pretty good resource for what's going on in the horse world in S Texas.

SED
May. 14, 2009, 05:59 PM
I know there is at least one barn from Corpus that comes up to Houston occasionally for the A shows, or at least the B shows. Can't remember if its Heather Ridge or not. But based on some of the posts on this thread, it might be.

Also, there may be some eventing barns there, and they can defintely help brin a youngster around. You wouldn't find them on thja.org.

Tollriffic
May. 14, 2009, 06:05 PM
SED- You're probably thinking of Jumping G Equestrian Center with Michael Hall. They come to quite a few of the Texas "A" shows.

Otherwise Heather Ridge is good. I know they do the local shows but sometimes the Murphys are at the larger shows with Matt Cyphert.

DallasES
May. 14, 2009, 08:52 PM
PM sent. Welcome to Texas!! :)

atintofmint
May. 15, 2009, 12:58 AM
Heather ridge is the only nice barn I have been to down here *and i have seen them all lol* as far as H/J goes it is in Robstown which is actually closer to Kingsville then Corpus, there isn't much for english riding in the area at all!! The barn/facilities are very nice, everyone is knowlegeable and they do alot of the schooling shows there. Good luck on your move!

atintofmint
May. 15, 2009, 01:05 AM
Yeah, I have checked the thja site as well as the sthja site, what I have found I have not been so impressed with. If I was impressed my poor budget can't afford. Haha, Im still trying to find a job down there too! I just hate wasting a good horse that needs to be out there doing something. I know there is an AQHA trainer down there but I think he is western. Hmmm.... I hate moving to a new area and starting all over.

Im guessing Reid Thomas, he does english *hus and has a o/f AQHA too. He has a super nice barn, his pasture board is $275 which is decent for the area. OH there is one more called Sweet Bay Ranch, and they are a smaller private barn of mostly eventers if interested pm me and I can get you the owners number. Just be weary of alot of the barns in the area, it has been a nightmare to even find boarding but again good luck

ERollison
May. 15, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hmmm...well I am not looking for a boarding facility too nice. I do not mind the self care because I do have 2 horses with only one of them being currently ridden.

I am just wanting somewhere to haul in for lessons. I prefer H/J over AQHA right now because my gelding is more H/J "type" than AQHA "type". He is SOOO GREEN! I just need consistent work with eyes on the ground.

I did email Heather Wind....hmmm...maybe a little too advanced for my GREENIE horse?! I think he could do it just needs time, consistent work, and patience.

Thanks everyone for all of the help and suggestions. If you think of anymore places, farriers, vets, shows, ANYTHING...riding buddies.... let me know. I am going to be so lonely down there without any horsie friends!!! :-(

eventer80
May. 15, 2009, 01:56 PM
There are NO eventing barns there.........believe me. I searched and searched :)