PDA

View Full Version : breeches w/ similar fit to TS schoolies?

superpony123
May. 13, 2009, 09:43 PM
Sadly, my fav pair of schooling breeches, the TS schoolies, are starting to fray at the seams in the seat (and probably going to rip very soon, if my mom cant find a way to stitch them nice and tight). I have never had a problem with my TS supremes, theyve lasted me for a few years, but then again, those are a heavier, sturdier material, i only wear those at shows, and take the best care of them. My schoolies, i admit, they get used VERY heavily. I've only had this pair since october, i believe, and i'm surprised they've worn this fast. That being said, I will probably have to retire this pair very soon--and would like a replacement of something similar.

But i don't think it'd be terribly logical to buy another pair of the schoolies after this pair is starting to fall apart, you know? A long time ago, i'd probably just assume it's a defective pair, but i've seen a number of threads popping up on here about the same thing happening, so i have to assume it's not a coincidence.

luckily, ive stopped growing. i can wear breeches til they fall apart, as opposed to growing out of them.

here's what I want:

- SIDE ZIP. repeat: SIDE ZIP. as in, NO FRONT ZIP. front zips drive me crazy
- preferably belt loops and pockets, but not a must.
- NOT the stretchy lycra or cotton pull on types. i have one or two pairs, i don't find them to be very comfortable, i mostly bought them because they were so cheap
- something that isn't clingy to the skin, on the looser side
- something that fits similar to a 16R (in childrens) or a 26R (ladies) in the TS schoolies or a 14R (childrens) in the supremes... ive tried ariats, i do have a pair of all circuits that are also a pair of schoolies but i HATE them. they are way too clingy, so no ariats.
- velcro at ankles, not exactly an absolute must, but it does make it a lot more comfortable
- i'd like to keep it under $100. i fit in children's sizes, which usually makes my life a lot easier since its cheaper! but i will fit in a 26 in womens, generally, so womens breeches are fine too.
- most importantly: something that will last. i understand sometimes you have to replace breeches every year, but when all of my other breeches have lasted several years, i have some standards :)
- low rise or regular rise does not matter to me, i will wear either.

- not a deciding factor at all, but i'd love something that comes in fun colors :D
also, i was wondering, who has those custom smartpak breeches? they looked like they fit fairly similar to the TS schoolies, though they seemed to be around the same price or higher.. someone confirm? who wears them, do they fit similar to ariat or TS? (usually it seems everyone either fits in one of those brands and not the other, haha)

sorry this is so long, but i need a good pair of breeches to last!

Spud&Saf
May. 13, 2009, 11:22 PM
Try the Grand Prix Hamptons. Side zip, low rise, similar fabric type to the TS, with belt loops and pockets. They come in a few different colours similar to some of the TS colours. I love mine - will school or show in them.

Little Indian
May. 13, 2009, 11:35 PM
JPC is making a nice schooling side zip that fits similarly to the TS schoolies.

atouchofclass
May. 14, 2009, 07:27 AM
I will come out of left field here but the Ovation Side Zips are outstanding. A little known secret is that their were designed by one of the original owners of Tailored Sportsman, For my money it is a updated TS with some pretty cool technical features.

ImJumpin
May. 14, 2009, 07:36 AM
Another vote for Ovation Euroweaves. They are by far better constructed and will last you longer than the TS schoolies, in addition to being cheaper :). They don't come in as many colors as the TS, but do come in a larger variety than many.

As for being loose, the euroweave are designed with a fabric that is supposed to help with muscle fatigue by supporting the muscles. I suppose you could buy them up a size or two to get them baggy, but that defeats the purpose.

If you really want a baggy breech-- look for something mostly made of cotton.

Jersey Fresh
May. 14, 2009, 08:00 AM
I bought a pair of the RJ classics breeches at Rolex and they are awesome. The low rise was a bit to get used to (my other breeches are regular) but they came in puke green with brown knee patches (with a super cute faint paisley pattern on them). I got them for $65 from equus now.

ADD526
May. 14, 2009, 08:25 AM
I bought a pair of the RJ classics breeches at Rolex and they are awesome. The low rise was a bit to get used to (my other breeches are regular) but they came in puke green with brown knee patches (with a super cute faint paisley pattern on them). I got them for $65 from equus now.
im watching this thread because im looking for the exact same thing!!!....i have to say dont try the RJ classic is TS fits u really well..TS fits me perfect and RJ doesnt fit at all...waay too big in the waist :( bummer b/c they are nice and cheaper and now they have cool colors!!

MissintheSouth
May. 14, 2009, 08:55 AM
Another vote for the Grand Prix Hamptons. They don't have as many color choices, and the fabric is a little heavier than the schoolie TS (closer to the TS Pro, IMO), but they hold up really well, fit very similar and are a lot cheaper. Under $100 at Dover.

I don't like the Ovation Euroweave b/c I think it's too clingy - which I know is the point based on the fabric and contruction and all that.

Never tried the RJ Classics.

Pirateer
May. 14, 2009, 11:42 AM
I love my Grand Prix Gardens (TOTD for $38/pair!)
Also love the JPC Platinums. The fabric is sort of slick/shiny, but pretty tough wearing and I got lots of "You Look Skinny!" compliments on them, so I'm sold.

billiebob
May. 14, 2009, 11:50 AM
I love my Grand Prixs. I have the F3 ones (I think, I got them out of the clearance room for $25) and the fabric is great, more like stretchy twill rather than cotton. They're pretty heavy duty but not too hot for summer riding, and they're nice enough for local shows. Tuff Rider breeches will last forever but I'm not a fan of the fit--SUPER long in the regular rise but low rise might be better. They're pretty cheap and I'm sure they come in side zip/crazy colors.

chawley
May. 14, 2009, 01:33 PM
RJ Classic makes great breeches that fit very similar to the TS breech. They start at under $100 too!

luvs2ridewbs
May. 14, 2009, 01:35 PM
I like my Smartpak ones. Custom colors though just a little less then TS

woodhillsmanhattan
May. 14, 2009, 03:07 PM
RJ Classics all the way! All of my show breeches have gone from the TS 4-way to the RJ Classics. I like them a whole lot better but they have the same look and similar fit to the TS.

Pirateer
May. 14, 2009, 03:17 PM
RJ Classics all the way! All of my show breeches have gone from the TS 4-way to the RJ Classics. I like them a whole lot better but they have the same look and similar fit to the TS.

By "TS 4 Way" you mean the Schooling breeches, right? Not the Supremes?

Jersey Fresh
May. 14, 2009, 03:26 PM

I dunno, they fit me like my supremes. I find the waist is a bit big like a previous poster said but for 1/2 the price of TS and 1/4 the price of supremes, I'll wear a belt.

Rhody Ram
May. 14, 2009, 03:40 PM
Rj makes a pair of supreme copy cats for under $200 that are very nice and look exactly the same.

Wizard of Oz's
May. 14, 2009, 09:05 PM
Another vote for the ovation Euroweaves!

chawley
May. 14, 2009, 09:12 PM

They have a less expense version that is more like the TS schooling breeches, and ones that cost a bit more w/ a heavier fabric. Both are very nice!

ridingstudent
May. 14, 2009, 09:17 PM
hoof and woof.

you have to google and email to order but they look just like tailoreds and are. comfy.

superpony123
May. 14, 2009, 09:47 PM

the supreme hunters are the 4-ways, the royals are 2-ways, and i believe the schoolies are something inbetween the royals and supremes. they fit me like supremes do, but i have to go up a size in the schoolies from what id wear in supremes.

superpony123
May. 14, 2009, 09:52 PM
unfortunately i've tried on tons of RJ pairs of breeches (granted, it was a while ago, i could try again, but i'm doubting it'll turn out any differently) in an attempt to spend half the $$ i'd spend on my supremes (for show only) but no pair of RJ's fit me comfortably. i like the brand, i dunno what it is about it though, everything RJ makes will NOT fit me. ive had an RJ coat. didnt fit at all. pants? tried on but never fit. bought a shirt once. it technically fit, it was very very loose, but the fabric seemed very clingy. it was nice to touch when youre not sweating or anything, it was silky feeling, but then when you get sweaty, it was the worst. the buttons on that shirt also opened themselves up a lot, which i never figured out, since it was very VERY loose--not like i was busting out of it or anything!

so i guess i'll have to try the GPs. i suppose i cant try the smartpak ones on anywhere, so i might have to save those as a last resort if i can't find anything. i'm kinda bummed that something made of cotton might be the only thing that'll work if i get a loose breech--which is what i prefer. i will have to pass on the euroweave, as i don't want anything real skin tight or clingy. i don't like those types of fabrics. the cotton breeches are always very comfortable, but i'm assuming that it's likely the reason they breeches are wearing so fast in the first place. any fabric experts around here to confirm??

otwist123
May. 15, 2009, 12:20 AM
My all time favorite breeches are Harry Hall Zoe breeches (I think they are Zoe) They are side zip and low rise. The material is the cool-max sorta material, and they don't fit tight at all. The only place I have ever seen them is at our small local tack shop. EVERYONE has them around here. You can see them in the online cavalier catalogue.

My second favorite would be Grand Prix. The fabric is amazingly comfy, and I like how the waistband is stretchy. The only thing I don't like is the knee patches are really high up. I do have long legs though, but they seem this way on a lot of people.

kdow
May. 15, 2009, 01:50 AM
the cotton breeches are always very comfortable, but i'm assuming that it's likely the reason they breeches are wearing so fast in the first place. any fabric experts around here to confirm??

I'm not an expert, but from knitting experience with yarn construction, while the type fiber itself (cotton, polyester, whatever) comes into play, there's a lot to do with the density of the knit up fabric (how many stitches per inch), and the construction of the yarn (if it's piled, how many piles, how tightly twisted it is, how LONG the fibers are that are spun into the yarn, etc.) that can significantly change how well something wears.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that if you find breeches that are comfy and a cotton blend, and other people are reporting they hold up well, I wouldn't rule them out JUST because they're cotton. :)

superpony123
May. 15, 2009, 05:57 PM
I'm not an expert, but from knitting experience with yarn construction, while the type fiber itself (cotton, polyester, whatever) comes into play, there's a lot to do with the density of the knit up fabric (how many stitches per inch), and the construction of the yarn (if it's piled, how many piles, how tightly twisted it is, how LONG the fibers are that are spun into the yarn, etc.) that can significantly change how well something wears.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that if you find breeches that are comfy and a cotton blend, and other people are reporting they hold up well, I wouldn't rule them out JUST because they're cotton. :)

thanks :) haha this is something i wanted to hear, because i find cotton to be much more comfortable

might i ask, is there any way i can tell on my own if a cotton breech is .. i dunno.. "well stitched" ? i guess i could call it that? :lol: i really just want it to hold up for at least a yr.

Rhody Ram
May. 15, 2009, 06:09 PM
The grand prix cotton schoolies definitely last longer than the ts. They don't exactly wear like iron but they are much better than the ts. I like everything about them except the seam down the outside of the leg.

kdow
May. 15, 2009, 11:06 PM
thanks :) haha this is something i wanted to hear, because i find cotton to be much more comfortable

might i ask, is there any way i can tell on my own if a cotton breech is .. i dunno.. "well stitched" ? i guess i could call it that? :lol: i really just want it to hold up for at least a yr.

I'd probably go for how the fabric feels - if it's thin and 'flimsy' feeling in the hand, then it's not likely to hold up as well. In general densely knit fabric (more stitches per inch) holds up better - but it also feels a little stiffer and thicker.

(If you know anyone who knits, you can ask them to show you this just by taking some yarn and knitting a square with the needle size suggested for the yarn, then maybe a needle size two up, and a needle size two down, and then you can compare the behavior and appearance of the squares.)

I'd also look closely at any areas likely to see some wear just from being tried on, if I was at a tack store where the breeches might've been pre-handled some. If it shows signs of wear and tear just from that, then it's pretty clearly not going to hold up well. (Also for any loose stitching, really untidy seams, but I haven't really seen much of that on any breeches - moreso on really cheap knitwear - might be more of a problem with riding tights that might be being made more inexpensively with less quality control.)

ADD526
May. 16, 2009, 05:18 PM
any links for the grand prix breeches?

superpony123
May. 16, 2009, 07:03 PM
thanks Kdow! :)

Twix04
May. 21, 2009, 04:21 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless they've changed the construction of their breech, which I really hope they did, I would not put my money up for another pair of the Grand Prix Hamptons. The pair I got were really confortable and fit great...BUT the stitching on the inside leg seam was NOT elastic and did not have any give whatsoever. How on earth do they expect you to throw ur leg over the saddle or sit comfortably within it when your breeches are "tented" down there because the seam has no give??! The only way around it was to hitch my breeches way up B4 I got in the saddle. Ridiculous, and they ended up ripping on the second day at that very seam. Mind you, these breeches were not tight on me in any way but were loose-ish like the TS lowrise fit.

And I feel your pain on the longevity of the TS schoolies!! I have 2 pairs under a year old that are on the verge of ripping near where the crotch hits the saddle. It's absurd for a breech that expensive! So, I won't buy another pair except on Ebay. I ended up going for the Ovation Euroweaves side zips, which fit well and are insanely comfortable. Their fabric is heavier, also. The grey color looks a lot like the TS Moss Grey that I coveted for a while :D

And I would love to know from the other Grand Prix wearers if that seam has changed at all??

BAC
May. 21, 2009, 04:47 PM
I will come out of left field here but the Ovation Side Zips are outstanding. A little known secret is that their were designed by one of the original owners of Tailored Sportsman, For my money it is a updated TS with some pretty cool technical features.

I was going to recommend these also, a friend has several pair and I love them. Ovation has several different styles, all very nice, for about $80. And they have some nice colors although not really the "fun" shades of TS.

Grand Prix breeches are similar and come in colors too.

BTW I haven't had any problems with my TS schooling breeches, they are lasting very well with lots of use although I have so many colors maybe they are not getting worn as much as I think. The darker colors have faded a little but they are still in great shape after a few years.

Pirateer
May. 21, 2009, 04:51 PM
And I would love to know from the other Grand Prix wearers if that seam has changed at all??

The inner seam on the GP's still sucks- I just tend to pay strict attention to how its looking. Once I reinforced it myself I never had a problem with any other area of the breech.

Elementgrl2
May. 21, 2009, 05:27 PM
Another Vote for GP breeches. Love the Hamptons, they hold up well.

JenEM
May. 21, 2009, 07:31 PM
Not surprised that if the TS fit you, the RJs don't, since I'm the exact opposite! I love my RJs, but wish the TS fit me right, because they come in some pretty cute colors.

I've got a few pair of the Grand Prix Gardens off TOTD, and while they're OK, I'm not crazy about how they fit--I hate the leg seam's lack of stretch, and they're already starting to pull apart at the back seam. It is something that's easily fixable, but not something I feel like I should need to fix after riding in them all of three times. Don't know that I'd buy more of these, but the price was right at the time.

The Ovations look like they might be worth a try, since I'd love a pair of brown breeches. That color seems to hide the dirt pretty well!

Vixenish
May. 26, 2009, 06:01 PM
Just wanted to throw out there that the TS Trophy Hunter schooling breeches don't have a seam up the inner thigh (which, as I understand it, is what falls apart often on the TS schoolies), but rather around the back of the thigh due to the euroseat, and therefore they might hold up better. I have a pair, but haven't worn them enough yet to judge their longevity.

Pirateer
May. 26, 2009, 06:02 PM
Just wanted to throw out there that the TS Trophy Hunter schooling breeches don't have a seam up the inner thigh (which, as I understand it, is what falls apart often on the TS schoolies),

Actually, in my experience with the TS schoolies the problem is that the butt-fabric wears out quickly, leaving a) saggy booty or b) worn through booty :eek:

(Grand Prix has the inner seam problem)

MissIndependence
May. 27, 2009, 08:21 AM
Just wanted to throw out there that the TS Trophy Hunter schooling breeches don't have a seam up the inner thigh (which, as I understand it, is what falls apart often on the TS schoolies), but rather around the back of the thigh due to the euroseat, and therefore they might hold up better. I have a pair, but haven't worn them enough yet to judge their longevity.

The new Trophy TS's are awesome -they are basically similar to the Pikeur Ciara's - but a bit lighter fabric, euro seat, etc. They are great! They make them in side zip as well as front zip. I love mine....although the fabric has quite a bit of stretch in it....

winter
May. 27, 2009, 12:45 PM
A word of caution.
The TS schooling breeches fit me very well, they are my favorite breeches hands down. In the interest of economy I tried on the Grand Prix's. They don't fit nearly the same as the TS. So in my opinion the fit is not similar at all.

Love the new TS with the side zip, wide waist band and euro seat. In the euro fabric they are my show breeches. Only thing I don't like is that they are too long and slightly bigger in the waist than the cotton schoolies.

Eyemadonkee
May. 27, 2009, 11:49 PM
This is kind of an offshoot, but has anyone else had a problem with the polyester threads balling up?? I'm having that problem with my Ariat Brittany breeches, so I too am looking for schooling breeches!

PROTACKGUY
May. 28, 2009, 07:17 AM
Are the TS schoolers knit or woven fabric?
The trouser like, non clingy fit of the classic TS was due to the fact, more than anything else, that the fabric is woven rather than knit. Woven fabrics are much more expensive to make but are more like mens trousers in that they have more structure. German breeches are typically woven, although they do make some knits.
The breeches from Smartpak are also woven as well as certain breeches from Ovation.

PROTACKGUY
May. 28, 2009, 07:21 AM
Just for the curious. I noticed the post on the Ariat Brittany's. DId you know that the original and first side zip from woven fabric was made by a company named "Brittany".

LARGEBORE
May. 28, 2009, 07:28 AM
Just tracked down some info on the Ovation breeches. Wow some interesting things on thier site. www.ovationriding.com Did not know much about Dri-lex but it seems awesome.

KaterasEqGirl
May. 28, 2009, 10:44 AM
This is kind of an offshoot, but has anyone else had a problem with the polyester threads balling up?? I'm having that problem with my Ariat Brittany breeches, so I too am looking for schooling breeches!

I'm not sure if mine are Brittany's, I think they are but I'm not sure. Either way I had a problem with them last summer when I first got them. The inside fabric would essentially fall off. It would just come off in clumps and it gave my legs red bumps. They are fine now that basically all of that inside material is gone, but I would not buy another pair :no:

Across Sicily
May. 29, 2009, 02:09 AM
I'm not sure if mine are Brittany's, I think they are but I'm not sure. Either way I had a problem with them last summer when I first got them. The inside fabric would essentially fall off. It would just come off in clumps and it gave my legs red bumps. They are fine now that basically all of that inside material is gone, but I would not buy another pair :no:

Ugh... I just bought two pairs of these...

The fabric is THIN! Jeeeez... I'm worried I'm going to sweat for all the world to see in them come the heat of summer. :cry:

Eyemadonkee
May. 29, 2009, 08:16 PM
I haven't had a problem with them falling apart and the little polyester "balls" seem to be purely cosmetic... but it's just annoying! I love the way they fit, look, and feel...