PDA

View Full Version : Sumter, FL Hunter/Jumper Shows

heatherny2
May. 13, 2009, 06:40 PM
Anyone ever been to a hunter/jumper show at Sumter Equestrian Center in FL? I'm taking my greenie this Saturday (only his 4th time) and wondered how they are, i.e., the grounds, entry numbers, how they're run, how late in the day they go, etc.. Any info would be appreciated, thanks. :)

heatherny2
May. 13, 2009, 11:30 PM
bump...anybody??:confused:

jmvwiv
May. 14, 2009, 08:05 AM
If your going to school your greenie its fine. We went to one show 2 summers ago. It was run fine. I was used to a different level of show so it was a bit eye opening. After getting over that, for the purpose of schooling my baby, it was fine.

alliekat
May. 14, 2009, 08:52 AM
When I lived in Ocala, we took all of our green ones there. We also used to take our yearlings and show them in there Hunter breeding classes. Colleen (who owns and runs SEC) is great. I always liked going there and wish I had something like it here in NC now.
Good Luck!!

heatherny2
May. 14, 2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, we are basically just going to get him some experience. Compared to some of the local open shows I've seen in my area, I'm hoping it's a step up. Shows down here are definitely a lot different than when I was showing in NY (at least the local shows, haven't been to any A shows here).
Thanks again for the info.

greyshowjumper
May. 14, 2009, 09:06 AM
:eek: Nice show grounds. Good entries for Saturday. Colleen is great. Had good times and bad. We had a greenie showing in "Green Horse", but quite a few other competitors were more like green riders on made horses. (or seasoned combo's who don't show a lot) Very noticeable too. Pretty disappointing.
We did jumpers as well. The course was nice. Unfortunetly the judge that day wasn't paying attention to riders and pinning those who went off course with quick time instead of those going clean and quick.
Last note, keep an eye on all your belongings. They seem to always grow feet. Just FYI.
All in all, nice show for price, could be better if management were more attentive.
If you are looking for nice show, but no stalls, try Williston. They are doing a summer series with jumpers. Also, Horse Shows in The Park, are doing a series at the Weirsdale carriage museum. Barrington Hill has a nice show as well. Good luck.

alliekat
May. 14, 2009, 09:06 AM
Where are you located?

heatherny2
May. 14, 2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks grey, I'll make sure I watch my valuables. I live in Palm Harbor but board in Largo. I've only been to local schooling shows in that area and we really want to get him to better quality shows, but don't have a trailer so we are at the mercy of wherever anyone else is going.

alliekat
May. 14, 2009, 09:16 AM
Too Funny I grew up in Largo and went to school and boarded my horse there too. Good luck with your greenie!!
That was many moons ago though:(

jmvwiv
May. 14, 2009, 08:50 PM
Since you just live in Pinellas County, the best local schooling type show the area has to offer is going to be PCHA held at the farigrounds. Their next show is the first weekend of June I think. I would show there over Sumter. Since your new to the area other than PCHA, for local showing there isnt much I would recommend going to near Tampa. Fox Lea Farm in Venice puts on a good show. They do A & C shows I think. I've only ever been to their A shows. The main hunter ring and Grass GP field are nice. CFHJA is an A show series at the fairgrounds. It is not the best run but not the worst just mediocure.

heatherny2
May. 14, 2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks jm, yeah I have wanted to try the PCHA shows, but unfortunately like I said, we are stuck tagging along with whoever has room in a trailer to wherever they are going. That is, of course, until my DH gets the truck he wants (which I am all for, since of course then we can get a trailer :winkgrin: ) This area is definitely a different animal from the NY shows I grew up doing.

Sugarbrook
May. 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
Very low key show. I took a large green pony who had never been off the farm except for in-hand classes as a yearling. I have know Colleen for years and she runs a good show. Its totally local show types there, unless its just someone with a greenie. Rings are good, jumps are good and my greenie had a very enjoyable time.
Tampa would be more pressure, I think, but depends on what you are looking for.

jmvwiv
May. 15, 2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks jm, yeah I have wanted to try the PCHA shows, but unfortunately like I said, we are stuck tagging along with whoever has room in a trailer to wherever they are going. That is, of course, until my DH gets the truck he wants (which I am all for, since of course then we can get a trailer :winkgrin: ) This area is definitely a different animal from the NY shows I grew up doing.

Yes agreed it is MUCH different here than up north (I'm from NY). At least it's not cold :lol: Luckily I found a nice low key show barn here & my trainer is from NJ, ran a big operation in PA prior to moving here so I have a very (to me) "normal"/"familiar" setting without the exceptional board price tag.

I have a now 5yr old I bought at 2yrs old, so have tried going to all the local stuff as a way to get her ring experience. We went to Sumter, LAJUF, SEHJA, and PCHA all local area shows.

Good Luck.

jumpingmaya
May. 15, 2009, 11:02 AM
Yes agreed it is MUCH different here than up north (I'm from NY). At least it's not cold :lol: Luckily I found a nice low key show barn here & my trainer is from NJ, ran a big operation in PA prior to moving here so I have a very (to me) "normal"/"familiar" setting without the exceptional board price tag.

I have a now 5yr old I bought at 2yrs old, so have tried going to all the local stuff as a way to get her ring experience. We went to Sumter, LAJUF, SEHJA, and PCHA all local area shows.

Good Luck.

If you don't mind me asking... where do you board... I live in Clearwater and am travelling to Lutz 5 days a week to go ride my horse... boarding around here is pretty challenging!!!! :eek:
Grew up in France so used to big trails, huge farms and strict trainers.. have yet to find that here! FYI, I show in the jumpers...
thanks for the help... and you can PM me if you don't want to put it on the board...
But otherwise, regarding schooling shows, I will 2nd whatever is held at the Faigrounds in Tampa is usually worth while... I also LOVE Venice!! Only been to Barrington a couple of times and it was nice... Usually show the "A" stuff though so I'm not much help... Good luck! :winkgrin:

heatherny2
May. 15, 2009, 11:26 AM
jumping...I board at a small, semi-private barn in Largo - everyone pretty much does their own thing and only a few of us actually go to shows (of course I am the only adult in the showing group, but whatever. :lol: ) There are numerous boarding barns in the Largo, Pinellas Park area, that are adjacent to the horse trails (who would have ever known they were there). Lutz does seem pretty far from Clearwater (and I complain about driving to Largo from Palm Harbor). If you look around there are actually a lot of barns in Pinellas, from Tarpon Springs down to St. Pete, it just depends what you are looking for. There is also a website, PinellasHorse, that has some information as well.

Thank you everyone for the information. I am off to make last minute purchases and preparations and wash the dirty beast.

jmvwiv
May. 15, 2009, 12:12 PM
If you don't mind me asking... where do you board... I live in Clearwater and am travelling to Lutz 5 days a week to go ride my horse... boarding around here is pretty challenging!!!! :eek:
Grew up in France so used to big trails, huge farms and strict trainers.. have yet to find that here! FYI, I show in the jumpers...
thanks for the help... and you can PM me if you don't want to put it on the board...
But otherwise, regarding schooling shows, I will 2nd whatever is held at the Faigrounds in Tampa is usually worth while... I also LOVE Venice!! Only been to Barrington a couple of times and it was nice... Usually show the "A" stuff though so I'm not much help... Good luck! :winkgrin:

Oh yea... I forgot about Barrington. I like it there a lot. Very pretty setting.

I board in Lutz too but right off the Vet's Expressway. I work in St. Pete so the drive can be icky using the Howard Franklin but really not too bad if you use the Courtney Campbell bridge. Worth it for a decent trainer with real turnout! IMO. Around here I've found turnout to be defined in some unique ways. Our horses go out all night which make me most comfortable.

Sent you a PM too.

heatherny2
May. 16, 2009, 04:13 PM
Well I would like to report that we went and it was great and we had a wonderful time, unfortunately, my beastie, Andy, decided to colic just before we put him on the trailer. Seriously, he was fine when I got there, fine when we wrapped him, even pooped again, then colicked just as the trailer pulled in. So my morning was spent dressed for a show just walking him, waiting for the banamine to work, and then on poop watch. Luckily he did poop after about 2 hours and is now acting like himself again and even pooped 3 more times. Thank goodness it happened before we left, I can't even imagine if it had happened on the trailer or at the show.:no:
Oh well, maybe next time...right now I'm just glad he is ok.

alliekat
May. 16, 2009, 04:26 PM
Glad to hear your guy is feeling better. Also glad you enjoyed the show. Barrington Hill also puts on great shows.

Pwinslow1@cfl.rr.com
May. 18, 2009, 05:48 PM
Horse Shows in the Park is starting a new summer hunter/jumper series this year in Weirsdale on June 6,7, just Southeast of Ocala - at a "to die for" facility - the Florida Carriage Museum and Resort. Beautiful place - all shady too with 100+ stalls and places to say right on the estate.. at 30% summer discount!. their website is horseshowsinthepark.com and the showgrounds website is fcmr.org. They'll open two rings if the show gets larger, and that way it'll finish before 4. Jan Massaro is the first show's judge. The following weekend on June 13,14 - they also start a new series at the Jacksonville Equestrian Center - with their totally cool indoor arena....