PDA

View Full Version : Summer camp - ammy teaching?

Eyemadonkee
May. 13, 2009, 04:37 PM
A young friend of mine (an amateur) is going to be a camp councellor this summer. She will be teaching beginners for 3-4 hours/day and then doing other camp stuff for the rest of the day. She's getting paid $3,000 for the whole summer (10 weeks). Will she have to give up her amateur status for this?

Phaxxton
May. 13, 2009, 04:39 PM
I stand corrected. ;)

Eyemadonkee
May. 13, 2009, 04:44 PM
Seems silly, but thank you.

Atomic Firepower
May. 13, 2009, 05:13 PM
I believe there is actually an exception to the amateur rule regarding summer camp, that it is okay to teach summer camp as long as you are not specifically tabbed a "riding" counselor.

joiedevie99
May. 13, 2009, 05:18 PM
I believe there is actually an exception to the amateur rule regarding summer camp, that it is okay to teach summer camp as long as you are not specifically tabbed a "riding" counselor.

I thought so too, but it doesn't seem to be in the rules anymore! It used to be listed along with this one (which remains):

"Any person who is serving an internship for college credit through his/her
respective, accredited college program, and who has never held professional status,
can accept reimbursement for expenses without profit."

Kementari
May. 13, 2009, 06:02 PM
GR 1306.1b

(Persons acting as counselors at summer camps, who are not hired in the exclusive capacity of riding instructors are excluded and persons giving instruction and training to the handicapped).It's still there! ;)

Nikki17
May. 13, 2009, 07:48 PM
I think there is an exception for "camp counselor" type situations as long as the person is doing other activities too, like teaching swimming, art etc

Wizard of Oz's
May. 14, 2009, 09:12 PM
Woah I totally didn't know that! I'm being a counselor this summer and my positon title is "Equestrian Camp Counselor". Am I not allowed to be an ammy anymore?

hj0519
May. 14, 2009, 09:34 PM
Woah I totally didn't know that! I'm being a counselor this summer and my positon title is "Equestrian Camp Counselor". Am I not allowed to be an ammy anymore?

I think it depends on whether or not the only thing you are doing is teaching riding. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I think that if you have other duties along with teaching riding, then you're okay.

MissintheSouth
May. 15, 2009, 09:43 AM
If you are hired as a councelor and part of your job is teaching, but you are also doing other stuff (like taking care of the kids, arts and crafts, etc) then you are ok.

If you are hired as a riding instructor, who happens to be teaching summer camp kids (but only teaches lessons and does nothing else) then you are a pro.

Or at least that's how I always interpretted that rule.

Hunter Mom
May. 15, 2009, 09:53 AM
If you are hired as a counselor and part of your job is teaching, but you are also doing other stuff (like taking care of the kids, arts and crafts, etc) then you are ok.

If you are hired as a riding instructor, who happens to be teaching summer camp kids (but only teaches lessons and does nothing else) then you are a pro.

Or at least that's how I always interpreted that rule.

This is how I understood it, too. I am helping at a camp this summer, and wanted to make sure I didn't endanger my ammy status.

gottagrey
May. 15, 2009, 03:25 PM
If it is a camp where they have other activities - like swimming, canoe, whaterver then your friend is probably ok. If it's a camp like Meadowlark STABLES Summer Camp - then no - if she is over 18, she will be in violation. That said, I know of a couple of stables that have summer riding camps but seem to skirt by the rule by saying they do other things like arts and crafts.

Does the girl presently show as an amateur at USEF shows? If not and she is not a member of USEF then that would be another issue where she could probably skirt the rule - on very thin ice

meupatdoes
May. 15, 2009, 05:53 PM
Does the girl presently show as an amateur at USEF shows? If not and she is not a member of USEF then that would be another issue where she could probably skirt the rule - on very thin ice

If she doesn't horse show and isn't a member of USEF (and I am assuming this is only a hypothetical for purposes of your post, otherwise why would the OP even care) , why on earth would she be "skirting the rule" on "very thin ice" regarding horse showing under the USEF rules?

By the same logic you are on very thin ice when you get in your car and drive somewhere because women are banned from driving in Saudi Arabia.

Eyemadonkee
May. 15, 2009, 09:57 PM
It is not a riding camp -- only a small percentage of the campers ride and she's teaching lessons for less than 1/2 of her day -- the rest of the time will be filled with just being a regular counselor (herding children?).

She does compete in the A/O jumpers, but won't be during the summer.

gottagrey
May. 16, 2009, 05:22 PM
If she doesn't horse show and isn't a member of USEF (and I am assuming this is only a hypothetical for purposes of your post, otherwise why would the OP even care) , why on earth would she be "skirting the rule" on "very thin ice" regarding horse showing under the USEF rules?

By the same logic you are on very thin ice when you get in your car and drive somewhere because women are banned from driving in Saudi Arabia.

I would think a women driving a car in Saudi where it's banned is definitely skating on thin ice...