PDA

View Full Version : Attach show numbers to breastplate?

mbmarsh
May. 13, 2009, 12:11 PM
Probably dumb question, but the search on this forum makes me insane....any idea where you can buy the interchangeable numbers that you can clip onto your horses's breastplate, rather than attach the show number to your pad?

Can't figure out where to get them, but knew someone here would know.

Thanks!

CFiona
May. 13, 2009, 12:23 PM
Sorry, I have no clue, but you might have more luck asking on the Eventing or Dressage Forums?

HuntrJumpr
May. 13, 2009, 12:27 PM
I know in dressage and eventing they come with the entry packet - however, I think this may be what you're referring to:

http://www.dressage-ext.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=1499

I've never seen bridle tags (on the bridle or the breastplate or anywhere else) at a H/J show though. You may want to check with the steward before you go into the ring with one - unless someone else on here knows more. :)

RugBug
May. 13, 2009, 12:36 PM
Probably dumb question, but the search on this forum makes me insane....any idea where you can buy the interchangeable numbers that you can clip onto your horses's breastplate, rather than attach the show number to your pad?

Can't figure out where to get them, but knew someone here would know.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the numbers you see attached to the breastplates for eventing are just bridle tags put there. Hodges carries them: www.hodgesbadge.com (http://www.hodgesbadge.com)

http://www.hodgesbadge.com/Product/ProductDetail.asp?productkey=ovaldressagehalternum berwithhook&catalogcode=E

MHM
May. 13, 2009, 12:38 PM
Please use the regular full size number at a H/J show. Those little numbers are very hard for the judges to see.

RugBug
May. 13, 2009, 12:49 PM
Please use the regular full size number at a H/J show. Those little numbers are very hard for the judges to see.

I'm guessing that this isn't for H/J. You usually don't see a lot of numbers pinned to the saddle pad at H/J, let alone attached to a breastplate. :D

eclipse
May. 13, 2009, 12:50 PM
I'm guessing that this isn't for H/J. You usually don't see a lot of numbers pinned to the saddle pad at H/J, let alone attached to a breastplate. :D

All the jumpers & hunters up here generally use the little numbers. Some shows give you them (small hard squares with the numbers on them). The jumpers usually put them onto their breastplate in the front & the hunters put them on their bridle (1 on each side by the ears).

Giddy-up
May. 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
At Spruce Meadows they have the small number tags (like dressage numbers). We either attached them to the martingale (on the side by the buckle) or if the rider wasn't bothered looped them around on the saddle where the excess stirrup leather goes.

MHM
May. 13, 2009, 01:22 PM
Let's put it this way- if the show office gives you full size numbers, please use them. :)

In the US, you don't see the little numbers too often at H/J shows. Once in a while, I've seen a jumper elect to use them, and they are much harder to see than the bigger numbers.

mbmarsh
May. 13, 2009, 07:11 PM
It's actually for the jumpers, not eventing. I can understand the judges wanting to see the number if it is a hunter, for obvious reasons - but for jumpers, who really cares? It's not like they actually use the numbers for anything......

I just get tired of trying to pin my number onto my saddle pad without sticking myself, and I'm NOT going to wear it (like I need anything else emphasizing the waist area!!)...... I'd seen photos with professionals that had their number on the breastplate, and was trying to figure out how they do it......with the bridle tag, how does it attach to the bridle, and how could I modify that to attach to the breastplate?

Thanks everyone - I knew you guys would know!!!!

HuntrJumpr
May. 13, 2009, 07:27 PM
The bridle tags just hook over the loop at the ends of the browband - hopefully that makes sense. You can just hang it over the center ring of a breastplate as well.

I would double check still at your shows that it is okay. They're harder to see since the judge is also timing and counting penalties, you want them to pay more attention to that than where your number/what number you are. Just a thought. ^.^

otwist123
May. 13, 2009, 09:15 PM
Around here we pretty much only use bridle numbers. I bought a set last year at a show, they were selling them at the show office. The only other place I've ever seen them was Greenhawk but I just looked on their site and couldn't find them. Sorry I wasn't much help, but I know what your talking about, and they are very hard to find!

IsolaBella09
May. 13, 2009, 10:07 PM
My friend just bought one 2 weeks ago at Garden State.

mbmarsh
May. 13, 2009, 10:13 PM
Sorry for being dense, but what/where is Garden State? I just did a quick Google search, and couldn't find them. Can you help? Thanks!

IsolaBella09
May. 13, 2009, 10:21 PM
Sorry for being dense, but what/where is Garden State? I just did a quick Google search, and couldn't find them. Can you help? Thanks!

Garden State is one of the biggest horse shows on the East Coast that was held at the Sussex County Fairgrounds in New Jersey April 29- May 3.
http://gardenstatehorseshow.org/

Maybe if you call the secretary, they can give you a list of vendors that were at Garden State.

superpony123
May. 13, 2009, 10:56 PM

depends where you're from! almost ALL jumpers here pin their numbers to their saddle pads. hunters, obviously, have to wear them on their backs.

MHM
May. 13, 2009, 10:59 PM
It's actually for the jumpers, not eventing. I can understand the judges wanting to see the number if it is a hunter, for obvious reasons - but for jumpers, who really cares? It's not like they actually use the numbers for anything......

How exactly do you think the jumper judge keeps track of the scores on the judge's card? By the number of the horse. Just as much as in a hunter class.

Anything that makes it harder for the judge to see the number is a BAD thing.

Lollipop
May. 14, 2009, 09:38 AM
How exactly do you think the jumper judge keeps track of the scores on the judge's card? By the number of the horse. Just as much as in a hunter class.

Anything that makes it harder for the judge to see the number is a BAD thing.

Which is why the ingate person tells the announcer and the judge what the number is as the horse walks into the ring. If a judge had to worry about figuring out what every single horses number was while they were in the ring, they would probably miss a lot.

A lot of the big jumpers wear those little numbers on their martingales, and in Europe, that's the only thing they use. It is true though, that you should check first before you use them. This winter at the December Holiday and Horses in Wellington, they made us use the big numbers for the GP horses, and everyone in the FEI tent was really pissed off (which was stupid of course, but whatever). I think I might remember Bevals having them, so maybe give them a call and see.

Giddy-up
May. 14, 2009, 10:31 AM
I'd seen photos with professionals that had their number on the breastplate, and was trying to figure out how they do it......with the bridle tag, how does it attach to the bridle, and how could I modify that to attach to the breastplate?

The numbers we were given by the show office had a hook on the top & bottom. Then there was also like an elastic band (like a human hair band size) attached to the hooks. I just looped the elastic around & around & around the martingale strap. Sometimes I had to play with it a little to make sure the number was really secure.

touchstone-
May. 14, 2009, 11:29 AM
Which is why the ingate person tells the announcer and the judge what the number is as the horse walks into the ring. If a judge had to worry about figuring out what every single horses number was while they were in the ring, they would probably miss a lot.

A lot of the big jumpers wear those little numbers on their martingales, and in Europe, that's the only thing they use. It is true though, that you should check first before you use them. This winter at the December Holiday and Horses in Wellington, they made us use the big numbers for the GP horses, and everyone in the FEI tent was really pissed off (which was stupid of course, but whatever). I think I might remember Bevals having them, so maybe give them a call and see.

At Vermont last year, they wouldn't let you in the ring unless you had a full-sized number on your back or the left side of your saddle pad.

Agree with previous posts that you should check with the stewards before you opt out.

mjrtango93
May. 14, 2009, 11:39 AM
I believe you are looking for something like this...... http://www.bitofbritain.com/Equidisc_p/9282.htm

MHM
May. 14, 2009, 11:41 AM
Which is why the ingate person tells the announcer and the judge what the number is as the horse walks into the ring.

Which works fine, 90 percent of the time.

Then there's the 10 percent when the ingate guy gets distracted, or forgets, or his radio dies, and the judge has to see the number to get it.

Most judges like to verify the number with their own eyes as the horse goes around, to decrease the odds of a mix-up.

HunterJumperLuv
May. 15, 2009, 12:54 AM
Most judges like to verify the number with their own eyes as the horse goes around, to decrease the odds of a mix-up.

Which makes the secretaries really happy when they dont have to try to figure it out!

Happy Officials, and Happy Secretaries make for Happy Competitors.

;)

Melzy
May. 15, 2009, 10:45 AM
If a Jumper comes into my ring and I don't see their number or get it from the ingate person right away, they do NOT get a whistle to start. Sometimes the rider doesn't wait for the whistle and gets eliminated. I agree with everything MHM wrote.

mbmarsh
May. 15, 2009, 11:13 AM
I appreciate everyone's comments about whether or not these numbers are allowed or not, but it's getting off track......I just wanted to know where to find them, since they seem to be hard to locate.

Personally, a judge who makes a rider wait an inordinately long time for a whistle because they can't see the number, or because they didn't hear the announcer when they read it, and then eliminates the rider for not waiting for a whistle (while within the letter of the rule), bugs me. I could say a lot more, but I won't. I'm *really* biting my tongue here. I don't want this thread to become about that - if you want to have that discussion, feel free to start your own thread. :)

So - if anybody else knows where to get them - please feel free to let me know - the one Equidisc looks interesting, and the first one from the Dressage place as well. The others have been a strikeout so far.

Thanks!

SoCalJumper
May. 15, 2009, 05:50 PM
Many jumper riders use these - more convenient - less obtrusive and you don't have to pin numbers to your saddle pads which may obscure a logo from a sponsor. Try this link at FarmVet for a 4 pocket one - it's not clear exactly what is included as there is not a detailed description but typically you have 3 or 4 pocket holders. http://www.farmvet.com/p-1813-competition-numbers.aspx

forward ride
May. 15, 2009, 08:36 PM
I agree with SoCalJumper. I too am in SO Cal & I see a lot of Jumpers using them here. Saw a bunch at Thermal using them this year too. If I can see it (as a spectator watching someone's round), I think the Judge can typically see it as well since they have the view du jour (sorry, i dont know how to spell the french :D ). i ride Jumpers & always pin my number to the saddle & I always wonder what if the announcer or judge is on the opposite side of my number? oh well. i guess if the number is on my back, there's always the chance that the judge or announcer is facing me & can't see the number immediately anyway.

Ayora Saddlery carried them at Thermal. I think they were around $20. they had both round and square ones. the square ones said breastplate & the round ones said bridle (but i was told only dressage puts them on the bridle, though i think i've seen eventers put them on the bridle in the show jumping portion). i've never seen a h/j jumper put the number on the bridle though.

sorry, i totally hijacked. brought it back in the end though :D

showjump
May. 16, 2009, 08:24 AM
I use these on my jumpers. I have an old 4 pocket that a friend gave me, then I found this one that I ordered. http://www.eurosaddlery.com/products2.cfm/ID/215/name/BRIDLE%20NUMBERS I have not seen the farmvet ones but maybe give them a call. I think it looks much neater to have the number on the breastplate.

heartinrye
May. 16, 2009, 09:07 AM
At Vermont last year, they wouldn't let you in the ring unless you had a full-sized number on your back or the left side of your saddle pad.

Agree with previous posts that you should check with the stewards before you opt out.

Yes, I was just about the mention this!

I have been to a few shows where even in the jumpers if you don't have the number that the show gave you, you may incur a fee and/or may not be allowed to compete.

Check with the show before you use your own 'number'.