PDA

View Full Version : How do you wear your socks with breeches & half chaps?

KPF
May. 13, 2009, 11:53 AM
I finally caved and bought a pair of half chaps for summer use, normally I ride in jeans/full chaps. I haven't ridden in breeches in years but back when I was a kid, I wore knee socks under my tall boots and over my breeches. For those of you who ride in breeches and half chaps, do you wear tall socks over your breeches, or what else do you wear?

joiedevie99
May. 13, 2009, 12:01 PM
Yup- tall boot socks over my breeches.

AliCat
May. 13, 2009, 12:14 PM
I depends. If I am riding in breeches that have no velcro, I wear my socks over the breech. A couple pairs I have with velcro rub my ankle the wrong way, so I will wear the breech over the sock. I have zip up paddock boots and half chaps, so once they are on nothing moves.

Trixie
May. 13, 2009, 12:15 PM
For those of you who ride in breeches and half chaps, do you wear tall socks over your breeches, or what else do you wear?

Underwear, a bra, and a hairnet. :winkgrin:

I usually pull my socks up over my breeches, depending on the socks.

TwoDreamRides
May. 13, 2009, 12:18 PM
Trixie... no shirt?!?! :eek:

Trixie
May. 13, 2009, 12:19 PM
I do usually wear a shirt as well :)

ClassyRide
May. 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
I would say it's whatever is most comfortable for you. As long as you have properly fitting gear, it won't matter one way or the other where your socks are, because nothing is going to slip. I do either, depending on what I wear (as mentioned by someone else, the breeches with ankle velcro can't go under socks because the velcro lump rubs my ankle).

HuntrJumpr
May. 13, 2009, 12:23 PM
Underwear, a bra, and a hairnet. :winkgrin:

I usually pull my socks up over my breeches, depending on the socks.

No shirt? :P Hah - someone else noted it as well.

I pull my socks over my breeches unless I haven't done laundry recently and am limited to shorter socks, in which case they go under so no one else knows they just barely pass the bottom of my breeches.

hoops04
May. 13, 2009, 12:24 PM
I ride with my socks over my breaches as well, when i ride in them, a lot of the time i ride in my jeans an half chaps. then i ride with my socks under my jeans!

mypaintwattie
May. 13, 2009, 12:30 PM
Just be careful if you are wearing plain white athletic socks over your breeches- if the chaps get sweaty or wet the dye can run and stain the socks. I learned this the hard way. Now I wear boot socks over breeches or regular socks under breeches, especially if they have itchy velcro at the bottom.

plowpony
May. 13, 2009, 12:34 PM
I have a tip on great "riding" socks, for a great price.

I wear boys' baseball socks for riding. They are knee-length, and elastic through the leg, so they stay up nicely.

My foot size is ladies 7, so I wear a medium in these socks. They come white with different color stripes up the sides. Can be purchased at Wal-Mart, or most sporting goods stores.

I almost always wear these socks, UNDER breeches, with 1/2 chaps and paddock boots. Very comfy!

Breeches are sooo much more comfy than jeans.

RugBug
May. 13, 2009, 12:34 PM
I wear white athletic socks...like you would when at the gym, pushed down around the ankle. The breeches are inside the socks...but I don't pull them up to ride when I wear my half chaps...there's no need. I do pull them up when wearing my full chaps because they will give me rubs if I don't

KateKat
May. 13, 2009, 12:59 PM
socks over breeches.

Great idea with the athletic socks, I'll have to look for those next time I'm at Walmart!

Pirateer
May. 13, 2009, 01:01 PM
With 1/2 chaps I usually wear my socks (athletic style or normal boot socks, but not the nylon type) UNDER my breeches (unless they are super baggy in the calf, in which case over)

Angel Undercover
May. 13, 2009, 01:09 PM
With half chaps, I usually wear my socks under my breeches. I have really small feet and my socks always fall down and get all bunched up under my foot - SO annoying - so if I wear them under then my breeches keep them pulled up.

rabicon
May. 13, 2009, 01:11 PM
I have my breeches dry cleaned and if I don't wear my socks under them when its hot out with half chaps or tall boots I get a heat rash on my legs. So I always wear them under my breeches.

MissintheSouth
May. 13, 2009, 01:39 PM
With 1/2 chaps I usually wear my socks (athletic style or normal boot socks, but not the nylon type) UNDER my breeches (unless they are super baggy in the calf, in which case over)

Same here. Normal athletic socks that come up higher than my paddock boots, and under the breeches.

Unless I know I am going to be running errands, then it's my black knee high socks (which I buy at Target for $3 a pair) over the breeches.

SarahandSam
May. 13, 2009, 02:57 PM
I just wear normal socks most of the time--usually the mismatched ones that live in the "someday my mate will come" bag. (: I wear them under my breeches because they're usually different heights. I don't feel like I need tall socks though as long as my breeches and half chaps are comfortable.

I do have one pair of Zocks with wiener dogs on them, and they make me happy, so I'll wear those for shows, over the breeches and under my tall boots.

(Even with mismatched socks, I do wear nice underwear to ride because I'm afraid of falling, being rushed to the hospital, and having some cute paramedic or surgeon notice my tatty granny panties. d; Dates back to grandma saying, "Always wear good underwear because you never know...")

SmartAlex
May. 13, 2009, 04:14 PM
Calf height socks under the breeches.

Sensible underpants are also a must :D I just can never rememer that tiny detail until I am swinging up.

I ride on my long lunch hour and change at work. The other day I glanced in the mirror before leaving the restroom and realised I had my pull-on full seats on backwards. How dumb is that? I look silly enough trapesing around the office in breeches and half chaps as it is ;)

billiebob
May. 13, 2009, 04:24 PM
Socks under breeches. I get rubs from either the "ankle" (meaning midcalf, I'm tall) velcro or the rubbery grips. Baseball socks are great, especially in the winter if you have the thick ones under fleece breeches.

Aliascml
May. 13, 2009, 04:25 PM
I wear athletic socks that around calf height under my breeches and boot socks over my breeches.

appychik
May. 13, 2009, 04:28 PM
I love Zocks, or the equilivant. I must have like 12 pairs. Always, always wear the socks over the breeches and under the half chaps/paddock boots. In the winter, I get the cheap knee-high socks from Target that are a thicker weight. Or, if I'm feeling particularly rich, I go and get some Smartwool socks. I LOVE Smartwool. :yes:

sisu27
May. 13, 2009, 04:44 PM
Just be careful if you are wearing plain white athletic socks over your breeches- if the chaps get sweaty or wet the dye can run and stain the socks. I learned this the hard way. Now I wear boot socks over breeches or regular socks under breeches, especially if they have itchy velcro at the bottom.

Plain white athletic socks should be banned unless they are in a running shoe.

Boot socks (pref. ELTs) over britches always for me.

Peggy
May. 13, 2009, 07:42 PM
Under. Use the REI sox with cooling material that go to a bit below the calf. They are grey which eliminates some of the staining issues. If it's actually cold I wear smart wool sox, also under breeches.

forward ride
May. 13, 2009, 07:51 PM
regular athletic socks usually under breeches. i too get rubbies from the velcro if i don't.

Jo
May. 13, 2009, 09:02 PM
How else do you show off your massive collection of ZOCKS if not wearing them over your breeches? :)

hideyourheart03
May. 13, 2009, 10:57 PM
I wear ankle cut socks and then some sort of tall boot sock over. There is a gap between my ankle and the bottom of my breeches, but this way I feel like the sweat in the actual foot area is soaked up by the cotton "regular" socks.

quiet5
May. 13, 2009, 10:57 PM
ovation knee socks over breeches. :)

Pirateer
May. 14, 2009, 11:45 AM
I never wear my Sox Trots/Zocks with 1/2 chaps....Too much chance for sock shreddage. Tall boots yes! (At one point I had something like 75 pairs, 20ish of which were unopened). I love http://www.soxplus.com !

Mtn trails
May. 14, 2009, 12:42 PM
Over the breeches. I love my Ovation boot socks. Those of you who wear athletic socks or baseball socks, don't you find them it makes your boots really tight with the extra thickness? I'm thinking those socks are the heavy cotton type, right?

Pirateer
May. 14, 2009, 12:43 PM
Over the breeches. I love my Ovation boot socks. Those of you who wear athletic socks or baseball socks, don't you find them it makes your boots really tight with the extra thickness? I'm thinking those socks are the heavy cotton type, right?

Thats why I only wear them with 1/2 chaps/paddocks vs tall boots.

smm20
May. 14, 2009, 01:13 PM
I wear TWO pairs of socks!

Under my breeches, I wear thin, cashmere/angora-wool blend socks that come up to mid-low calf. These absorb sweat and prevent velcro rubs. I get them on sale at The Gap in the spring for about $3 per pair. They are super soft and although not meant for sport, are moisture-wicking and cool. I also have a pair from REI and those work great too.

Above the breeches, I wear thin dress socks or zocks.

I like this combo quite a bit - I never get rubs or blisters. And I have a curvy calf that narrows quite a bit just above my ankle. The two layers in that area keep my half chaps snug at the base.

jordiensyd
May. 14, 2009, 03:20 PM
I wear men's grey athletic socks with my half chaps/breeches. I'm 6' tall and I find the ladies athletic socks are all too short on me. But ZOCKS are a must with tall boots!

trv_at_tacf
May. 14, 2009, 08:05 PM
I depends. If I am riding in breeches that have no velcro, I wear my socks over the breech. A couple pairs I have with velcro rub my ankle the wrong way, so I will wear the breech over the sock. I have zip up paddock boots and half chaps, so once they are on nothing moves.

Exactly what i do. I have a few of older breeches where the velcro doesnt hold to well and rubs me so I normally wear my socks under those so it doesnt bother my skin, and it works. Otherwise i wear the socks over my breeches like i would with high boots.

feather river
May. 14, 2009, 09:22 PM
over the breeches, and no knee highs--takes away from the feel of the horse against your leg:D

Brooke
May. 15, 2009, 12:04 AM
I wear calf-length athletic socks under the breeches, and thin knee-high socks over them. I can't stand the feeling of the breeches without something under, and the socks over help keep the breeches smooth and keep them from riding up.

GallopGirl
May. 18, 2009, 01:40 AM
Thorlo boot socks under breeches to keep velcro off the calf. I fell in love with wearing my ski socks in the winter. They come up just under the knee..higher than calf height...and I wear them all the time. I bought a couple spring ski weight, and they prevent rubs like nothing else. It's all I will wear under jeans and half chaps when riding at the race track.

Simbalism
May. 19, 2009, 04:07 AM
I wear white cotton crew socks( a little higher than the top of my paddock boots) over the bottom of my breeches, then half chaps.

Individualblue07
May. 19, 2009, 03:38 PM
For me... Its ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS:

- Tailored Sportsman's with SoxTrot socks over top, then my tall boots. I find during the summer (especially) it is WAY easier to ride with tall boots on. It takes alot less effort to remove them after your done too... :lol:

But yeah... I refuse to ride in Jeans... It is WAY more uncomfortable and def causes more damage to the saddle... I have an Antares and will not let anyone even sit on my saddle if they dont have breeches on...

Jeepgirl
May. 19, 2009, 10:53 PM
mid-calf athletic socks with breeches pulled on over them and then boots & half chaps

tBHj
May. 19, 2009, 11:07 PM
Sox Trot/Zocks with sport ankle socks underneath, ALWAYS. I can't stand just thin socks on my feet.

IsolaBella09
May. 19, 2009, 11:09 PM
Tall socks over my britches and then half chaps over. I'm usually in tal boots but occasionally I'll wear the half chaps. I love my JCrew and Pikeur argyle socks. ;)