PDA

View Full Version : Year End Awards

Fly_High
May. 13, 2009, 09:22 AM
Hey everyone,

My organization is trying to decide on our year end awards for champion and reserve this year and we could really use some suggestions. We have hunter, jumpers, dressage, driving, draft, and western disciplines. We like to try to keep it similar for all discipline, although driving is sometimes hard and ends up with something different which is ok. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. What would you want to get for a year end champ/reserve? Thanks.

klmck63
May. 13, 2009, 09:29 AM
Last year my association gave out nice leather halters with plaques stating the award and the horse's name. Although we just have h/j's it's a pretty versatile award and nice to use at shows :)

Fly_High
May. 13, 2009, 09:34 AM
What did you do for things like Equitation and Lesson mount or Leadline? The halters sound nice for the performance classes though. Thank you for the idea.

klmck63
May. 13, 2009, 09:42 AM
For equitation we gave embroidered garment bags, we didn't have lesson mount or leadline divisions but we also gave out bags for grooming supplies.. I'm not sure how to describe them... Ah! Here they are:

http://www.equibrand.com/en/%5FHS/ProductDetails.aspx?C=Equine&PC=104&P=171

We gave them all out in black with embroidery again. These were for the reserve champ. awards. I think the tack shop gave the association for ordering both the halters and bags in bulk.

Fly_High
May. 13, 2009, 09:46 AM
Those are neat. We have thrown around the ideas of saddle pads, garment bags, and carryalls so far too. Thank you for letting me know your experiences. It really helps to hear from other competitors.

Giddy-up
May. 13, 2009, 10:18 AM
I am part of the board for a local association.

We have given out for year end prizes: coolers, fly sheets, rain sheets, irish knits, halters (regular & grooming), leather lead shanks with chains, canvas tote bags, saddle pads, brushes, crops, silver platters, ice buckets, bridles, coat/boot bags.

We keep things generic engraved or embroidered (just the year & association, no names or divisions).

Fly_High
May. 13, 2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks. We would do the same, embroidering our logo and year, maybe champion/reserve.

classic262
May. 13, 2009, 10:53 AM
for reserve I once got a boot cleaning kit with a brush like this..http://www.countrysports.se/files/TR-brush.jpg and it had a name plate that said the organization and reserve champion. it also came with nice boot polish creme and was a really cute idea! Loved it!:D

Hunter/JumperMom
May. 13, 2009, 10:56 AM
Another idea is the small makeup bags that the kids(well mostly girls, but I guess boys could use!!), to keep in their trunks with there hair nets, bands for hair, chapstick (daughter is always looking for chapstick at shows), "girlie stuff" etc. Just for trunk or backpack, that is embroidered with the info on it!

phoenix mom
May. 13, 2009, 11:19 AM
Last year my daughter got something even I can enjoy. Everyone got a folding chair with a little fold down table w/cupholder on the side. Embroidered emblems with either Champion or Reserve Champion and the assoc. name were applied to the back of the chair. I saw the same chairs at Sams Club for $22. They also gave a saddle pad.

EllenAspen
May. 13, 2009, 11:43 AM
One year they matted and framed the champion and reserve ribbon. Another year we received a hand made pottery plate with hand painted horses around the edge. The champion had a blue theme and reserve had a red theme. In the center of the plate was the division you were champion or reserve of...

theoldgreymare
May. 13, 2009, 12:20 PM
The little local circuit in our area gives division champions embroidered jackets with year, horse, rider and division as well as circuit name and logo. Very nice for a small circuit! The rated circuit we show on gives engraved pewter plates to keep with year, horse/rider and division (in addition to the perpetual trophy you get to take home for display for a few months). They also give embroidered directors chairs for certain high scores. Neither gives awards (other than rosettes) for Res. Ch. One of my kids placed in MHSA high scores last year and got a lovely Walsh grooming halter with an MHSA engraved brass plate with the year.

Aliascml
May. 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4508019&id=646905064

The past two years our local association has given out a large ribbon and a framed picture of the horse and rider. The rider got to pick the picture they wanted. On the bottom of the picture, there is an engraving with the rider name, horse name, division and year. We all like these year-end awards.

Fly_High
May. 13, 2009, 12:43 PM
Great Ideas! I should hopefully end up with a championship this season and I would really like a jacket. The rest of the board is shying away from them however because of both cost and the hastle of getting sizes. I truely appreciate the work some of your associations put into your year end awards, personalizing with names and photos. wow.

Hunter Mom
May. 13, 2009, 12:52 PM
We got saddle/boot/hat bags, coolers, halters, blankets and such for winning the "major" divisions. They have the association name/logo, the division and the horse or riders names on them. The smaller divisions got very nice saddle pads. Of course, we all get lovely large ribbons for all placings at year end.

Neighland
May. 13, 2009, 02:02 PM
My fav year end awards that I have gotten have been a table with a fox hunt scene on it, and a plaque mounted to it, as well as the chairs I have won, something that I'll use and enjoy.

dghunter
May. 13, 2009, 02:36 PM
Would love to get a cooler as a year end award embroidered with the association, year, division, and champion/reserve champion.
Friend got two folding chairs one year embroidered with the same thing and boy do they get a lot of use! We're always using folding chairs.

Giddy-up
May. 13, 2009, 03:35 PM
The rest of the board is shying away from them however because of both cost and the hastle of getting sizes. I truely appreciate the work some of your associations put into your year end awards, personalizing with names and photos. wow.

I'd have to agree the more you individualize the prize the bigger a hassle it is. We have about 50 divisions & sometimes despite us warning people points are being disputed right to the very end. We have traveling trophies for each divison as well as prizes & there have been a few times we've had to last minute re-engrave cause the points disputes changed the winner.

superpony123
May. 13, 2009, 04:07 PM
Is this for a bigger association (like the PHA?) or just a local thing? If it's local, i'd stick to something smaller, simpler: like saddle pads, try embroidering the assoc. name, yr won, division, and name of horse and rider. a few yrs ago my friend was champion in one of our state assoc's and she got a very VERY nice varsity-type jacket, with the associations logo on the back, and her name and horses' name on the front, as well as the division name and "champion" on the back with the yr. which was very very nice. however it was quite large (i guess they had to just buy one size for all and stuff? dunno) and she was quite small :lol: ive also seen directors type folding chairs with the name and division, yr, assoc, etc. on the back which is very nice. and certainly useful! always go for something useful. chairs, saddle pads, coolers, things like that. for reserve, a nice picture frame with maybe the specs/name engraved on it would be very nice.

mothermucker12
May. 14, 2009, 08:02 AM
last year our local association gave the champions and reserves in the hunter divisions lamps and the shade had a picture of them on it...i believe they were from lifeshade, sometimes they advertise over on the right side of this forum, they were really nice!!

Fly_High
May. 14, 2009, 10:53 AM
Great ideas. Thanks. We are a fairly large local level organization. We have probably close to 80 divisions between all the disciplines (hunter, jumper, dressage, draft, western, and driving).

MyGiantPony
May. 14, 2009, 01:31 PM
We went old school this year. Our year end awards are engraved silver and pewter trophies. We hit the Wilton Armatel outlet for gorgeous platters and bowls.

Thought we'd do something different because everyone gives "practical" stuff like halters, coolers, grooming boxes, etc.

The leadline champion gets the most darling pewter mug.

http://www.armetale.com/armetale/index.php?fuseAction=item&itemID=463&bc=cat|15

Pirateer
May. 14, 2009, 01:40 PM
My local association is required in our rulebook to do the following:
(varies a LITTLE based on budget restraints. Each division costs $x to fund, if funded gets the good prizes, if not gets ribbons)

Performance (H/J/Dress)
Ch: Sheet or Blanket (one year we had lots of money and got nice coolers), monogrammed with Horse name, org name, division and year
Res: Leather halter w/ horse name and "Res Champ"

Equitation: Used to be something Silver/Crystal (decorative crap)
but they modified it and now I think they can do some kind of jacket?

Fly_High
May. 14, 2009, 02:19 PM
We went old school this year. Our year end awards are engraved silver and pewter trophies. We hit the Wilton Armatel outlet for gorgeous platters and bowls.

Thought we'd do something different because everyone gives "practical" stuff like halters, coolers, grooming boxes, etc.

The leadline champion gets the most darling pewter mug.

http://www.armetale.com/armetale/index.php?fuseAction=item&itemID=463&bc=cat|15

We did traditional trophies last year and the year before was tack trucks for champion and camp chairs for reserve.

katie16
May. 14, 2009, 02:38 PM
I have found that the greener kids (those 14 & under that are usually on lesson horses or are perhaps a little kid on their own mount - but those who do not have loads of show experience (and awards)) really seem to like the large trophies.

Just like other sports trophies. Something like this:

http://www.hodgesbadge.com/_documents/Products/SmallImage0865CatE.jpg (http://www.hodgesbadge.com/Product/ProductDetail.asp?productkey=15rubyredtrophy&catalogcode=E)

For the older crowd, or those with potentially more awards under their belts, we have done a variety of things: leather halters with nameplates, coolers (embroidered), scrim sheets (embroidered), silver bowls (engraved), silver trays (engraved), wooden grooming boxes with nameplates, silver/pewter picture frames (engraved), jackets & vests (embroidered), garment bags (embroidered), directors chairs (embroidered), saddle pads (embroidered).

We do not, however, try to give the same prize across the board. We often will have repeat winners from previous years (although not necessarily in the same division). Sometimes we even have one person winning two divisions in the same year. We try to take those things into consideration and try not to give them repeat prizes.

The lesson person who does not have their own horse, doesn't need, and often cannot use horse clothing or equipment like a halter. I have found that on the day(s) of their lesson they really seem to enjoy bringing in their embroidered saddle pad or grooming box to use. Or showing up at their next show with their embroidered garment bag. But, I can say that I have found that ALL of them who are kids under 14yrs, LOVE the trophy idea!

We did have one year that a four year old won leadline. We found a very large stuffed horse that came with a fabric bridle already sewn onto him (except the reins were loose so you could take them over his head). I had a very creative assistant! She made a saddle pad and saddle to pretty much match the bridle. We took the pad to the embroiderers and had it done like the other awards but scaled down to be size appropriate. Then she sewed the pad and saddle onto the pony. I was a little doubtful beforehand so I had a backup trophy made just in case. But, I was wrong! It turned out fabulous! Looked very professionally done! The little girl was very pleased, too!