PDA

View Full Version : Funny things kids say about horses

Horseymama
May. 12, 2009, 10:22 PM
My son, (9 yrs. old) has been to many, many hunter/jumper shows and even shown in some locals. But a couple of weeks ago I took him to a dressage show. We were sitting watching some 4th Level tests and he finally turns to me and says:

"Mama, why do all these horses stare at the dirt?" :D

That totally made me crack up. And once he said that, it did actually seem like that's what they were doing!

indygirl2560
May. 12, 2009, 10:38 PM
I was talking to my cousin(who is 5 and horse obsessed) about my project pony and if she wanted me to let her ride while I led the pony around and she said: "I just want her to walk! Please walk! I don't want her to put her feet high up to the sky!" and she started crying. I said "What?" and she pointed to a girl jumping in her in the other arena and said, "Not like that!" lol

jetsetter
May. 13, 2009, 12:02 AM
thats too funny!!:lol:

otwist123
May. 13, 2009, 01:07 AM
I know kids that call stalls cages. "Which cage is he in?"

JollyBadger
May. 13, 2009, 08:58 AM
I used to teach riding at a summer camp, and on days when the weather was too hot or rainy to ride, we would teach the kids about horse care, safe handling, behavior, etc.

One rainy day, we were talking about herd behavior, pecking order, etc. At some point in the lesson, the term "hierarchy" was used. Not long after, one of the little girls pointed out one of the horses that was constantly being chased away by the others.

She asked, "So, is Cherokee on the lower-archy?"

Dune
May. 13, 2009, 11:26 AM
I know kids that call stalls cages. "Which cage is he in?"

I actually know an adult that calls them that. ;) I had my 9 yr old neice with me watching a jumper rider flatting and she asked me, "Why does that horse carry his neck like that? It looks soooooo uncomfortable!" :confused: (horse was being ridden in draw reins)

Horseymama
May. 13, 2009, 01:47 PM
Sometimes their innocent observations are not that far off! I mean, if you think about it, stalls are a cage. There are many horses that just get let out to be worked and then put back in.

I love the word "lower-archy!" Makes perfect sense, I'm gonna have to use that one!

Justice
May. 13, 2009, 02:20 PM
When my oldest was two years old, she went on her first pony ride at the pumpkin patch. She went around one time, and then asked to get down. As we walked away, she remarked, "Mom, that didn't smell as good as I thought it would."

Whoop Di Doo
May. 13, 2009, 05:21 PM
My brother and I were watching the junior hunters at a show once. As the horses were being led out to jog my brother exclaimed, "Look! Why are all the horses running out onto the field?"

Abbeyroad1791
May. 13, 2009, 05:28 PM
I used to teach riding at a summer camp, and on days when the weather was too hot or rainy to ride, we would teach the kids about horse care, safe handling, behavior, etc.

I think my barn needs some of this.:lol: Last weekend at a horse show, one of our teen hunter girls looks at her horse's legs and says "His front hocks are so LOOOONNNGGG." :lol::eek::lol:

buck22
May. 13, 2009, 05:31 PM
I was once watching a clinic among a small crowd of onlookers when a young boy spotted a gelding dropping and said loudly "mommy what is THAAAAT????" Everybody snickered. The b/m at the time - was a little rough around the edges - say, "uhm, thats the horse's bone"..... the little kid absolutely freaked out and started crying and grabbing his mother "Mommy mommy the horse's BONES are FALLING OUT OF ITS BODY!!!!!"

I absolutely kid you not :lol::lol::lol:

Valeureux
May. 13, 2009, 06:56 PM
I was once watching a clinic among a small crowd of onlookers when a young boy spotted a gelding dropping and said loudly "mommy what is THAAAAT????" Everybody snickered. The b/m at the time - was a little rough around the edges - say, "uhm, thats the horse's bone"..... the little kid absolutely freaked out and started crying and grabbing his mother "Mommy mommy the horse's BONES are FALLING OUT OF ITS BODY!!!!!"

I absolutely kid you not :lol::lol::lol:

HAHAHAHAHAH! That is so adorable! :lol:

PonyHunter70
May. 13, 2009, 07:10 PM
Over the summer I help out at a riding summer camp. There are 2 or 3 weeks of camp that are full of the little beginners who have never ridden before. While we are getting everyone mounted and ready there is always one kid sitting on their horse yelling "giddy-up giddy-up" and flicking the reins. Of course the horse just ignores it, but it is always pretty cute and funny.

drawreins
May. 13, 2009, 07:57 PM
I was sitting with a good friend who rides at another barn and her grandmother. After talking a little about the horses, the grandmother turns to ask me where our kennels are. It was very hard to keep a straight face and say, "well our stalls are in barn 4.":)

Soldier06
May. 13, 2009, 08:18 PM
When I was little I leased a flea-bitten mare. I asked something to the affect of why was she marked like that. Somehow my trainer convinced (my mom helped her!) that the mare had been attacked by fleas as a baby/young horse and these were her scars. :lol: That was a great thing to teach a little kid...and needless to say I still haven't lived it down. :lol:

We used to have a horse in the barn and my sister would say, "Why does Tel only wear 1 saddle, his back is so long he could fit 5" :lol:

huntergirl007
May. 13, 2009, 09:18 PM
This is fun! After a few years at a riding camp and lots of being around young riders, I have a few.

When its rainy we often teach the kids about parts of the saddle/bridle etc. After pointing to the skirt, we then pointed out the saddle flap and asked the kids what they thought this was called. The one little girls eyes lit up and she yelled "THE SADDLE DRESS!" :eek: :lol:

One of the girls sisters who had come to watch asked us why the chairs on their back's didn't look more comfortable.

When I was once talking to a boy in one of my classes, we figured out we once went to the same horse camp. He, who had not carried on afterwards, proceeded to tell me that, "one time, the pony POOPED on the FLOOR!" :eek: No way. She did?! :lol::lol:

superpony123
May. 13, 2009, 09:28 PM
im a working student at the barn, and get all the lesson ponies ready as part of the job. one day, the BO's niece came for a visit and was getting a lesson on this pony hershey. she's about 6 yrs old. she doesn't know a lot about horses, is only there a few times a year, but she's real sweet. wanted to learn how to do everything.

hershey is a gelding. she asked me, is hershey a boy or a girl? how do you tell?

coincidently, hershey dropped at that moment, he had to pee. then she goes "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! hershey's a boy, isnt he!" ... "why yes, how did you know?" (i didnt notice he dropped and was about to pee, i was across the isle getting a saddle) "his peepee is hanging out" .. "oh! well, he has to pee, i guess!"

also:

at a barn i used to work at, i had to work a birthday party once. i am not a kid person, so this was like torture. it was real funny though when i got a little boy who was going "ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow" constantly with the horses' step. (he was really perching..in a way that male riders should not) i kept saying "its more comfortable if you reaaaaally sit back on your butt!" but i dont think he listened. it was pretty funny, i had to admit.

this isnt exactly about horses per se, but it was something i heard while waiting in line for a porta potty at a horse show: a little boy came out of one and went "MOMMY THERE'S A POOP CASTLE IN THERE!!" i had to laugh :lol: i coudlnt control it

mep0726
May. 13, 2009, 10:27 PM
My horse is a fleabitten grey and white paint gelding with black points. We had a group of 2nd or 3rd graders out at our barn for a "field trip." The instructor is helping them tack up their horse, which is tied up next to mine, while I'm talking to the 2nd grade teacher. A little boy turns around, looks at my horse and comments:
Little Boy: He looks like a goat
Teacher: Well, why do you think that?
Little Boy: He is black and white like goats are.

I thought I was going to die laughing, and the teacher was so embarassed. :)

anchorsaway
May. 13, 2009, 10:45 PM
Every year, our Ag Leadership class at school puts on a 'Farm Day' at one of our elementary schools.

Well last year, I brought our saintly school pony as we were short on other animals. Dogger is worth his weight in gold(countless kids pulling his tail/mane, poking him, ect).

Anyway, I think my favorite comment of the day was when one of the kids asked if the calf that was also there was Dogger's baby. :D:lol:
However, our para-pro/secretary grew up on a farm and around livestock and asked me if ponies were baby horses...serious as a heart attack.

dghunter
May. 13, 2009, 10:53 PM
However, our para-pro/secretary grew up on a farm and around livestock and asked me if ponies were baby horses...serious as a heart attack.

BF once asked "But if you buy them as ponies aren't they cheaper?" He too thought ponies were the same as foals... :lol:

Gray Horse H/J
May. 13, 2009, 11:00 PM
My nephew is 2 1/2, and is learning more and more words every day. He's got a few farm animals down - he knows cow, chicken, and piggy. (He thinks pigs are funny looking because he laughs every time he says piggy.) He was at my apartment the other day looking through my photo albums and pointed to a picture of me on my horse. He looked at me excitedly and proudly said, clear as day, "Aunt Stephy on a cow!!!" :lol:

Serah
May. 13, 2009, 11:05 PM
We had the kids at our summer camp convinced of the following...

1. Bell Boots *ONLY THE GUM COLORED ONES* grew on trees in Johannesburg, South Africa. (the colored ones are made in factories) There were pictures to prove it...

2. The reason we put cotton in the horses ear is because we shove it way down and it puts pressure on the "naughty" part of the brain, and that way the horses can't think "naughty thoughts"

Mara
May. 13, 2009, 11:08 PM
One of the most awkward moments of my life was when a friend's little sister (she was maybe 7), who knew at least a little about horses, asked "how do you tell a stallion from a gelding?"

How do you answer that? Never mind keeping a straight face.

chukkerchild
May. 13, 2009, 11:08 PM
When my brother was really little (like four) we took him to the racetrack once to watch the evening races. Before the first race we went down to the paddock to watch the jockeys mount up, and the grooms were leading the horses around the enclosure. We were watching for a quite a while and then my brother leans over to my mom and whispers, "Mom... is this a real race?"

TwoDreamRides
May. 13, 2009, 11:20 PM
My 7 year old cousin is a true farm boy. He understands the birds and the bees of the farm animals, but was trying to wrap his brain around the idea of fresh cooled/frozen semen. He asked my aunt if they sent "the whole thing frozen or cooled? You know, mom, the whole THING?". Haha.

This is maybe funny, maybe sad. En route of trailering my horse from NJ to GA for state finals last fall, my dad and I made a pit stop at Taco Bell for dinner. A school bus of mostly hispanic inner city teenagers who were on their way back from a camping trip, was also stopped there. As we made our way back to the trailer with our food, they all came over wanting to pet Preston. I dropped the window and stepped back. He hammed it up appropriately. The comments were all quite funny, but a few struck me in particular. One boy said to him "Hey, you're brown like me!" then turned and asked me what my horse's name was.. I said Preston. The boy then turned to one of his friends and said "Yo, take a picture of me and Brownie". One of the girls said: "He has a name, don't call him Brownie". And the boy replied "Well, I have a name, and people still call me Brownie" :eek: Talk about an eye opener! A handful of them also wanted to know if Preston had his own MySpace page. Preston had MANY, MANY photos taken that night, and seemed to enjoy the attention, despite the long haul!

anchorsaway
May. 13, 2009, 11:42 PM
One of the most awkward moments of my life was when a friend's little sister (she was maybe 7), who knew at least a little about horses, asked "how do you tell a stallion from a gelding?"

Oh man.....:lol::lol::lol:
I have no idea how one would keep a straight face alone.

Fitte
May. 14, 2009, 12:37 PM
A friend of mine was watching her 10 year old daughters lesson with her two sons, ages 4 and 6. A male trainer came by and started talking to the four year old, who said he liked horses. The male trainer asked the four year old when he was going to start taking riding lessons. The four year old replied "Oh, I'm not enough of a girl yet to take riding lessons. You have to be a girl first."

His mother was shocked at her son's odd perception and explained to him that he would go from boy to man without turning into a girl, and that boys can ride horses.

Another of my favorites was a camper who couldn't remember what the sections of hay were called (flakes) so he insisted on calling them Triscuits because he could remember that. I have to agree with him that "triscuit" may be a more suitable name.

twofatponies
May. 14, 2009, 12:46 PM

According to my friend when I was twelve, you can always tell a stallion because he has a very long mane! :D

mosmom
May. 14, 2009, 01:34 PM
This is embarrassing now but my mom still laughs about...

When I was little my mom got a horse and I was at school the first day she was going to get a chance to ride him. When I got home I was so excited and asked her how it went. She said she didn't get to ride because when she went to tighten up the girth her blew up. I got so upset that I ran up to my room and cried. I was really confused when I looked out my window and saw him in the pasture. After that my mom explained to me what she meant ;).

PonyGrams
May. 14, 2009, 02:17 PM
Our pony's name is Friskey and we call him Friskey Whiskers. My 2 year old grand daughter calls him Freaky Whiskey. Well she was riding him and walking over ground poles (her version of jumping). When she was done she was telling everyone that "she grumped Freaky Whiskey today.

FlyingSwap
May. 14, 2009, 03:20 PM
Adorable little 7 year old is leading her pony to the ring for a lesson. They are crossing the driveway when pony spies some of her friends in a paddock, plants her feet and neighs the biggest, loudest neigh EVER, right in the little girl's ear. Little girl gets a totally disgruntled look on her face, turns to face her pony, puts her hands on her hips and goes, "GOODNIGHT! [pony's name is Goodnight] That did NOT FEEL NICE IN MY EARS." And turned on her heel and marched her pony off to the ring. :lol::lol::lol:

Eyewittnesses now use that line when I sing to them.....

*JumpIt*
May. 14, 2009, 03:37 PM
2. The reason we put cotton in the horses ear is because we shove it way down and it puts pressure on the "naughty" part of the brain, and that way the horses can't think "naughty thoughts"

If only that were true. :D

dogchushu
May. 14, 2009, 08:57 PM
My niece after having her first ever lesson (on the lunge): I had lots of fun and the pony was on a leash the entire time!

To the MAX
May. 14, 2009, 09:44 PM
When I was little (7ish) and first started riding, I would call my family (grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc) and tell them all about my riding lessons, and I would always say to them, "I hope she takes me off that stupid ROPE soon!" :lol:

CenterStage123
May. 14, 2009, 09:44 PM
Once I was putting a blanket on a 18 hand horse and talking to a seven year old who didnt even reach the top of his leg. She acctually seems a lot older than she is. She noticed the brand on him and asked if he is a ottb
Me: no tbs have a tatoo on thier upper lip, that brand means hes westphalian
Girl: WOW! That means his dad must be a stallion!
Me: uhh... Well all horses have a stallion as thier dad
Girl: no they dont

She said it completley straight faced, and I just changed the subject

trakehner013
May. 14, 2009, 09:58 PM
My four yr old sister did leadline at a show on her pony sunday and my mom told her what to do. She told her to put her heals down. She said "I am puttin my heals down, how many times do you have to tell me that." It was pretty funny because she isnt usually like that.

huntergirl007
May. 14, 2009, 10:11 PM
Thought of another!

Not directly out of a childs mouth, but we have a pony at our barn who acts like quite the stud. One day, we were untacking after a lesson that ALL the girls family had come to watch (it was a special day, the grandparents, young cousins, everyone was there).

So, this pony is...well playing with itself. Hitting his tummy and such. :sadsmile: When all of a sudden the pony gets very excited and "pee's". Except, the pee was not regular pee colour...if you catch my drift? :eek:

Everyone just stood there silently. BO immediately called the vet. This was a GELDING for godsakes! We tried to just carry on as if everything was normal but the faces on the grandparents? Priceless.

Turns out apparently geldings can do this? It is, indeed, very concentrated pee? :eek:

chestnutmarebeware
May. 15, 2009, 10:05 AM
We had the kids at our summer camp convinced of the following...

I KNEW I was doing something wrong! The cotton goes into the ears on our very next ride! No more naughty thoughts—yay!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

horserider12
May. 15, 2009, 03:43 PM
my daughter was doing leadline this past weekend and the judge say "reverse please all reverse". My daughter whispers to me, "mommy, what does reverse mean?" so I say it means "turn around" to which she replies "well why didn't he just say that!"............she's 3

horserider12
May. 15, 2009, 03:44 PM
my favorite, at 2 years old same daughter is picking out her ponies hooves with me so I figure it's a good time for a theory lesson. I ask her if she knows why she has to pick his hooves before he goes back in his stall, to which she replies "of course I do momma, it's so he doesn't get his bed dirty!"