PDA

View Full Version : AQHA Hunter/Jumpers - fashion help?

texaseventer
May. 12, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hi everyone

I haven't been on COTH in AGES... but I have a question and know y'all are the best people to ask!

I am going to do some hunter (shhhhh, don't tell my event coach) classes and jumpers at local AQHA shows this summer/fall. I haven't done Hunters in over 10 years, and never on the AQHA circuit. I'm hoping to try some hunter hack, and maybe even some HUS or over fences in addition to the jumpers.

What is in style right now - will a regular dark green or navy hunt coat be ok? (Yes, I know my black dressage coat will NOT cut it, even though it's quite lovely)! I have TS breeches in the sort of green-khaki color, assume they are ok? Are Field boots ok as opposed to dress boots?

Also I've noticed from video everyone seems to have the tailored/shaped saddle pads with a spot for their numbers - am I right?

Any help you could offer to an eventer who has no clue about AQHA H/J fashion would be appreciated. I just want to get my pony out and have some fun!!! :)

Mandy and Joy
Argyle, TX

Long Shadow Farm
May. 12, 2009, 05:24 PM
Mandy,

I am showing my Eventer in the Jumpers at the QH shows in Oklahoma. I show him in my Navy hunt coat with beige breeches and my Mountain Horse boots. Field boots will be great. As for the pads, you can use a regular shaped one for over fences as you will wear your number on your back. On the flat classes you will want a shaped pad with the number on both sides. The jumper classes are pretty laided back and fun. I usually just show with my navy blue square pad in those.

Good luck!

texaseventer
May. 12, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks!
I'm in North TX and really having trouble finding AQHA shows with Jumper classes - any in OK that you think would be good? We are near Denton TX if that helps at all, just a short drive up 35 to Tulsa, etc!

Long Shadow Farm
May. 12, 2009, 05:30 PM
There is a big show coming up the first week of June in OKC. The Redbud Spectular. The jumping classes are on Wed, Friday and Sunday. Then mid June in Ardmore is the Stockman's Circuit show. They offer over fences classes on Friday and Sat. Then in July is the Tulsa Holiday Circuit.... but I don't know about their over fences classes yet.

Bobbi

texaseventer
May. 12, 2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks Bobbi!!! I'll check them out for sure!

Plumcreek
May. 12, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hunter green coats are out even in AQHA. The TS breeches with the navy coat are perfect. you can wear louder colored shirts still, or pastel or white. Pretty much what the USEF wears except for the darker shirt colors still being in fashion.

The square number pads are required in the flat classes and that includes hunter hack, but are never used in the straight fence classes. Best source for the square pad is Schneiders (www.sstack.com) the least expensive one will do fine. I put a white foam half pad over mine, and a non-slip liner under it.

Many people show in advanced helmets, including Speed-aire (sp?) in jumpers, and you will see approved helmets as well as article-of-apparel hard hats on adults in HH. Juniors must wear an approved helmet over fences.

If you live near Argyle, Chuck Briggs knows all about it. For Denton area, check with Jason Martin at High Point Performance Horses in Pilot Point.

Good luck!

texaseventer
May. 12, 2009, 05:49 PM
So I guess that means my eventing Charles Owen skull cap with a cover and the flipped up brim won't cut it huh? :) I have an IRH with the vented front (silver) - is that ok? I don't want to break the bank here but I know it's a different sport all together - I also have a hunt cap with no strap which I usually just wear for dressage, so I guess this is ok for flat classes?!

Thanks so much!

tx3dayeventer
May. 12, 2009, 05:52 PM
Mandy! You TRAITOR!!!!! Just kidding! Can Missy & I go with you?!?

The Texas Classic in Fort Worth is having Jumping classes on May 27th and May 30th. I emailed you the website so you can look at the premium book. I really want to take Missy. There is another QH show offering Jumping in Katy, TX (down by Houston) July 24-26th.

Bobbi- On average, how high are the jumps?

I have the clothes from doing IHSA so I am set and ready :cool: Mandy, we can trailer together. I might need to borrow a "hunter/cc" saddle b/c I think my XC Albion will stick out like a sore thumb :D

texaseventer
May. 12, 2009, 05:55 PM
... :) Yes Mere I AM A TRAITOR!!!! :) LOL

I have a black Courbette you are welcome to borrow but that falls into the sore thumb category too!! I guess I'm glad I at least have a close contact saddle to wear!

OH - one question for you H/J experts - Martingales - I usually jump my boy in a running martingale. I am assuming this is allowable for jumpers but hunter over fences would be....?

Mere can I borrow some of your clothes? <grin> :) Let's go to Katy! I don't think I can get my crap together by the end of this month for FW... :)

Mandy

Long Shadow Farm
May. 12, 2009, 05:55 PM
Jump height depends on the show, etc.

I know that at Ardmore, the jumps rarely get over 3'....maybe 3'3" in the jump off in the Open.... maybe. Now at the OKQHA spring circuit show, I think they got up to like 3'3" in the Ammys and 3'6" in the Open and the jumpoff in the Open may have been 3'9"... but I am not sure.....

The bigger shows will probably have bigger fences.

I am thinking of running down to Ft. Worth on the 30th for the Ammy and Open Jumpers.... haven't decided yet........ sigh.......

Bobbi

Long Shadow Farm
May. 12, 2009, 05:57 PM
Running martingales are okay in the jumpers but not allowed in the Hunters.....however you can use a Standing in the Hunters.

I use my Berney Bros cross country saddle for all the jumping classes.

Bobbi

Plumcreek
May. 12, 2009, 06:31 PM
The IRH with the silver vented front is just fine, as are the field boots. Go with the hunt cap for any flat classes.

Please, all you report back on these shows, OK?

Seriously, people show horses in Houston in July?? I thought all Texas horse show people were in Colorado during July.

Go Fish
May. 12, 2009, 06:34 PM
The square number pads are required in the flat classes and that includes hunter hack, but are never used in the straight fence classes. Best source for the square pad is Schneiders (www.sstack.com) the least expensive one will do fine. I put a white foam half pad over mine, and a non-slip liner under it.

The square pads are REQUIRED? Really? Those things are about the ugliest things I've ever seen at a horseshow and they absolutely take away from the quiet, conservative turn out of a hunter. I just don't get it...Why don't you just put a western pad underneath your close contact saddle and call it a day...are AQHA judges so visually challenged that they can't see a number on the back of the rider? :confused:

And, yes...I used to show quarter horses back in the olden days.

Plumcreek
May. 12, 2009, 06:54 PM
...are AQHA judges so visually challenged that they can't see a number on the back of the rider?
And, yes...I used to show quarter horses back in the olden days.

Bingo

(Actually the judges just like the numbers on the side of the horse - a lot. Back numbers use pins instead of strings, so cannot be turned to the inside like an open hunter flat class.)

tx3dayeventer
May. 12, 2009, 10:56 PM
Please, all you report back on these shows, OK?

Seriously, people show horses in Houston in July?? I thought all Texas horse show people were in Colorado during July.

Will do! I am quite looking forward to it. I am toying with doing the Texas Classic in May but it depends when my family will demand me to go to San Antonio :rolleyes:

Houston in July will be CRAZY-HOT but that just means that Mandy & I get to take home TONS of ribbons :D :D :D

tx3dayeventer
May. 12, 2009, 11:02 PM
Mere can I borrow some of your clothes? <grin> :) Yes, you can. I think I have 2 different TS shirts but only one pair of TS breeches.

Let's go to Katy! I don't think I can get my crap together by the end of this month for FW... :)

Mandy

You & Joy have your crap WAY more together than Missy & I do. :lol: Like Bobbi said the jumps are 3' or 3'3". Joy can do those with his eyes shut.

mypaintwattie
May. 12, 2009, 11:44 PM
For Denton area, check with Jason Martin at High Point Performance Horses in Pilot Point.

Jason is at my barn in California right now for the west coast winter/spring circuits, but I'm sure you could call or email them. Go with the Navy coat and a white or pastel shirt, the T.S. and field boots. Velvet hunt cap in the flat classes and approved helmet over fences- although a friend of mine rides in her CO GR8 for all of her classes. If you want a traditional looking helmet try the Troxel Grand Prix- it is pretty slim so it looks like a hunt cap but is approved. Number pad in the flat classes, shaped pad in the over fences.

texaseventer
May. 13, 2009, 09:52 AM
You lot are SO helpful, thank you so much!!! I'm having fun shopping on Ebay for a navy coat ;)

Mere - Joy and I often do 3'3" with BOTH of our eyes closed. LOL I have a great shot of him in PERFECT form at Quail Run, knees up to his ears... and we both have our eyes shut tight! LOL I guess the photographer just caught the perfect moment <grin>

What scares me isn't the height so much,but the courses themselves. I'm not used to these rollbacks and stuff! Guess I have to practice more. And a jump off!?!? What is THAT! LOL And you mean I have to REMEMBER it and do it right after my round if I go clear? My old brain just can't handle that ;) Lots of work for Mandy!!!!

Thanks EVERYONE for the helpful replies. I am SO EXCITED!

And yes, Houston in July but it's a beautiful indoor - assuming it's at Great Southwest EC - or whatever it's called now. Just gorgeous.

:) Mandy

eventer80
May. 13, 2009, 03:17 PM
I did QH jumpers with my horse Chapulin a couple of years ago and here are my discoveries.

Finding classes that would "make". 3+ riders. The jumps at Katy were small, the Texas Classic and Rosebud were reasonable, but nothing that would be considered BIG or ornate.

Just follow what AA hunter/jumper circuits are doing fasionwise. The AQHA people that do hunter o/f fences have their own style as do under saddle.

You don't have to have those ugly square pads in jumpers but you can use a regular shaped pad or a muted color square. Also, no decorations on the brow band.

That's all I can thing of right now, and couple of things may have changed in the 2 years. Hope it helped!!

Also, the last time I went the jumper classes at the Southwest Eq Center during the AQHA show were help outside......

texaseventer
May. 13, 2009, 03:42 PM
Outside?! July in Houston!! WOW. Darn it... oh well!! At least we are not trying to ride cross country!!!!

Thanks for the advice - tell me more about the classes though, is it hard to find riders to fill the classes (I think I misunderstood you)? I have been finding it difficult to find shows that even have jumps (the smaller local shows seem to really focus on western and may offer just a Hunter U/S class or two).

Thanks!!

texaseventer
May. 13, 2009, 03:51 PM
OH! One more question!!!

Hunters - gloves? Yes/No, and if yes - black only I assume?

:)

eventer80
May. 13, 2009, 03:55 PM
Sorry about not being clear :)... It is hard to find riders to fill the classes. I know what you mean about finding classes with fences. The only ones that were in a resonable (I didn't want to go more than eight hourse) driving distance from San Antonio were Katy, Texas Classic, and Redbud. Do they have any at the Tyler facility now? It was super fun though!!

The courses at Redbud and Katy were not to difficult. Imagine jumper classes at your local schooling show, but Texas Classic was much more "jumpery" with rollbacks, etc....

I wore my black gloves.......but I think some of the other riders didn't wear any gloves.

texaseventer
May. 13, 2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks, that clarification helps!!! Well at least with me and Tx3dayeventer riding together, that's 2 riders... only need one more! <laughing>

I didn't even think about Tyler, going to check it out now!

Plumcreek
May. 13, 2009, 04:39 PM
Before I would drive very far looking for AQHA jumper class entries, I would find someone who takes the QH journal to look at the last year's show results online (you still have to subscribe to the darn Journal to access results - from when the show results were included at the back of the magazine) and see how big the classes were last year and who was there. Then you can ask if they will be going this year. Hate to drive and find one entry.

Or come up here to Parker, Colorado and do the QH show June 19-21 at High Prairie (Colorado Horse Park) and then do the first week of the USEF A show ( Langer Equestrian) right after. You could check out the O'Connor cross country course there if you have not already seen it.
Charlie and Hilary Carrel (Colts Unlimited) have always brought a trailer of QH jumpers to the QH show, for a point class - 3 days of amateur, 2 days of open. (Disclamer - I have not verified they are indeed coming this year)

eventer80
May. 13, 2009, 04:40 PM
Good luck to you and Mere!!!

texaseventer
May. 13, 2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks!!!

One more question!

Braids? Button braids are ok like I would use for dressage? Jumpers don't braid right just hunters?

Plumcreek
May. 13, 2009, 05:37 PM
Jumpers don't braid, and while I personally love button braids, they would need to not stick up above the crest (I used to do rolled button braids). QH only do hunter braids for HH and flat. QH standard of braiding is very close to USEF. OTOH, banding (veeery short mane) is easier and OK for english as many cross over english/western with bands.

texaseventer
May. 13, 2009, 06:26 PM
Thank you Plumcreek!! At Events there are always nice young riders who will braid for you very reasonably - I think $35 is the most I've paid (and even that felt like a bargain for how great my boy looked)!

What is Banding? I'm not sure I'm familiar with that. Is it just braids w/ elastics???

Hopefully I can find someone to either braid for $$ or teach me how! LOL

Thanks again!!!

Plumcreek
May. 13, 2009, 07:58 PM
Mane banding: http://equisearch.com/library/graphics/banding.jpg
At a QH show, it is usually young trainers who braid. $35 may get it.

Vandy
May. 13, 2009, 09:46 PM
This info is helpful to me too, thanks. I learned some things I won't have to bug Plumcreek about in a PM ;) I am a little confused about the jump heights - is there any standard? I have a greenie that is just starting at 3' at the USEF shows - will there definitely be jumps at or below this height?

I am hoping to take my QH to the next Albuquerque show www.nmqha.com I think the hunter/jumper classes fill there(?) - at least, my western friend told me she saw jumping at the last one. I'd love to meet some people there who are QH show newbies too!

Plumcreek
May. 13, 2009, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=Vandy;4092244] I am a little confused about the jump heights - is there any standard? I have a greenie that is just starting at 3' at the USEF shows - will there definitely be jumps at or below this height?
QUOTE]

If the Albuq. show has any hunter classes, they should have Green WH at 2'6" and Hunter Hack at 2'6". Be warned that you have ONE calendar year (Jan - Dec) to show in the new Progressive Working Hunter class at 2'9", so do not do that class, or any 3' class, unless you wish to start that clock ticking for your horse. Green WH is no longer an Incentive Fund or World Show qualifying class - that had to be given up to get the Progressive Wk Hunters into the World Show (7 points needed to qualify, I think. This is really screwy, as the World Show qualifying period is from Aug 1 to July 31, but the new Progressive eligibility is for a calendar year, which means that if you first show in Sept, you have until Dec to get those 7 points, instead of until July 31 of the following year. Makes the winter-spring circuits really crucial if you want to qualify for that class). Green WH has no time limit, just a points earned limit (10? can't remember how many right now, but a horse can finish out a year in Green no matter how many points won, point count as per Jan 1 - like a Junior's birthday). Amateur at 3' starts the Progressive WH clock ticking also. Novice amateur at 2'6" would be OK. Much stricter than it used to be.

Vandy
May. 13, 2009, 11:35 PM
And I thought you couldn't get more confusing than USEF! :lol: I can't afford to campaign this horse enough to qualify for anything, just want to get him more show mileage and perhaps find an AQHA show person who will fall in love with him and buy him ;) He's really steady at 2'6" so that's probably what we'll do anyhow. A few questions: a junior non-owner can show in green hunters right? And the fact that he's competed at 3' at USEF doesn't affect his eligibility, does it? And novice amateur is only for adults or for junior riders too? I know, I should just read the rule book...but if you know this info off the top of your head, that would be great!

I'd love to go to the CO show, but it's not in the budget this year.

Plumcreek
May. 14, 2009, 12:37 AM
I do not think a junior non-owner can show in Green, but not sure. There is novice amateur and novice youth, separately. Supposedly the 3' USEF horse cannot show Progressive, but probably no one will care, unless it just won WEF. Green has no USEF restriction. I would save up and go to the Sun Circuit in Scottsdale in Feb. where sales can be made. Redbud in OKC in early June would be a good sales show, also.

I saw a few old names I recognized on your NMQH link, like Blair Darnell. I would ask there or scour the rulebook in the youth section. AQHA is really picky about youth-owner, but just approved leasing for 2010 for youth and amateur, I hear. Remember, currently if an amateur shows a non-owned horse in open, they lose their amateur card for 5 years.

RojoPony
May. 14, 2009, 12:59 AM
A junior can ride a horse they don't own in green or any open class. If they want to show in amateur when aging out of youth then they should only show horses owned by their family members in the open classes

If the classes are small, sometimes we keep our normal pads on instead of switching to the square ones for hack

I guess I have no fashion sense because sometimes I show in my dark green coat :).

The Ardmore shows usually have a good turnout

texaseventer
May. 14, 2009, 10:17 AM
Holy cow I am SO CONFUSED.

Okay - this will be my first year of AQHA showing. I own my horse, I am an amateur and I'm considered an adult as far as chronological age goes... ;) Do I qualify for Novice? Is that the best route to go?

What is the Progressive thing? What is that supposed to help with?! Totally confused! :)

tx3dayeventer
May. 14, 2009, 11:18 AM
Mandy-

I am getting SO excited about doing it!!! Now I just need to find some one close (Closer than Jan at 2 hours) who has more than 3 jumps(me).

I am assuming in the Jumpers they don't really care about what saddle you use? Or do I need to get a close contact to do it? There are pictures of my jump saddle in my signature or on my profile pictures.

Plumcreek
May. 14, 2009, 11:37 AM
Holy cow I am SO CONFUSED.

Okay - this will be my first year of AQHA showing. I own my horse, I am an amateur and I'm considered an adult as far as chronological age goes... ;) Do I qualify for Novice? Is that the best route to go?

What is the Progressive thing? What is that supposed to help with?! Totally confused! :)

Don't blame you for being confused. In an effort to prevent shamateurs and professional juniors, AQHA has strict rules regarding horse ownership. Novice and Green (horse) are per AQHA points won, not prior experience. I would get to the first show early, because you will have to fill out a 'skill set' sheet listing what classes you are a novice in (all classes for you). It used to be a blanket designation, but with specialization, it was decided that an experienced Working Hunter competitor arguably could be a complete novice at working cowhorse, and so on.

I think a good idea for anyone's first AQHA show is to align with a trainer or experienced amateur for help with the rules and procedures (like having to do a trot circle at the end of a hunter round, because there is no jog for soundness). It would be well worth a day fee or buying the amateur a nice dinner.

You would qualify to show in Novice Amateur (2'6") , Green Working Hunter (2'6"), Progressive WH (2'9")(if you do not care about the one year horse eligibility period), Open Amateur(3'), Open WH (3' -3'3" ). Usually just the larger shows can fill the novice over fences classes.

Progressive Working Hunter: 2 years ago, a certain AQHA President decided that any class with the word "Green" in the name did not belong in the World Show and removed GWH. We all had a fit, explaining that was just semantics and in USEF, hunters are 'green' right up to regular working at 4'. No dice. So a campaign was launched to find a replacement lower class so the Junior (horse age) and inexperienced woking hunters did not have to go in at the world show and jump around at 3' their first year there, and the trainers could qualify enough horses to justify going to the show. Many of those horses from warmer climes never get to show in that kind of big indoor. So the result is "Progressive Working Hunter" (no 'green' word) at 2'9". with a time limit so horses don't camp in that division forever.

tx3dayeventer - use any saddle you want.
Vandy - check with Lee Blakney (sp?) in Amarillo. She puts on H-J special event classes at local H-J shows at her barn and there is a large AQHA show in the events center In Amarillo real soon, (unless it was at end of April - can't remember) , that has H-J classes that fill.

mbv
May. 14, 2009, 12:30 PM
vandy - it has been a several years since I showed at a AQHA show in ABQ, but i just wanted to warn you about my experience: the jumps were PLAIN (think just plain white and natural rails, not really any fill?!?) and the courses were kind of bizarre.. It seemed like they had very few jumps; there were only about six in the ring (horse arena at the state fairgrounds) and you used the same jumps a lot, so there were some weird bending lines even in the hunter classes. The regular over fence classes barely filled, but the hunter hack class was large (lots of cross overs from the western stuff for people trying to get "all around" points); jumpers were in the prizelist but didn't run. The jumps were not set at height. I vaguely remember that the distances between jumps were not labeled on the course design (I can't remember that for sure though). The management and exhibitors were nice but I went back to doing PC and h/j shows....

Hopefully it's a little more of a "show" these days! I hope they bought some better jumps or at least rent from the NMHJA or something!

eventer80
May. 14, 2009, 05:05 PM
Whoa............some shows have the strides between the jumps listed on the map............I event and have done a couple of AA h/j shows...................I have never seen them listed and we just walked them off.

Hmmm............maybe I just overlooked them on the map at the H/J shows...