PDA

View Full Version : Devoucoux or Butet?

eqrider1234
May. 11, 2009, 09:24 PM
I know that there have been several threads on this but, I would like opinions from people who have either owned both or ridden in both....

I currently own a Butet but I am too tall for it and my horse needs a wide tree, I was all set to order the butet when my barn had the devoucoux fitter come out and he went ahead and fitted me and my horse, I picked out the biarritz 3A with a wide tree and 15mm added to the back (customized) it would also be calf and grain

For the butet I need a 2 flap and a wide tree, they both have equal wait times sine one has to be ordered and the other has to be made so that is not a factor.

With that said, which saddle do you guys prefer, I was originally planning on getting whichever one worked out but it seems they both have and I just cannot decide!

Parker_Rider
May. 11, 2009, 09:26 PM
I have a Butet and I love it, but I still covet a Devouvoux... I absolutely LOVE riding in them. I'm scheming to get one as soon as I graduate grad school... Either way, at least you know you can't go wrong!

gg4918
May. 11, 2009, 09:27 PM
As an owner of a Butet, a CWD, and a Tad Coffin, I would say...Dovoucoux!
Nothing beats custom and the Butets are known well for not always fitting perfectly or a wide range of horses.

WorthTheWait95
May. 11, 2009, 09:38 PM
Definitely go with the devoucoux but buy used if possible. Their customer service is really, really horrible. I've owned both and much preferred my butet (I really love close contact saddles, the devoucoux had too much fluff for my tastes) but it really just doesn't fit many horses.

perfecta11
May. 11, 2009, 09:46 PM
I've had 2 Butets, a CWD, and a Devoucoux -- Devoucoux all the way. It's the only saddle that I found to be really well balanced. The other saddles I found encouraged me to pinch with my knees and had me perched just a bit forward. Devoucoux doesn't do that at all, and it fits a whole lot of horses.

Lucassb
May. 12, 2009, 09:28 AM
I've had both saddles and currently ride in a Butet.

I second the poster who said if you can find a used Devoucoux that fits, it might be a very good choice, but if you have to order one - watch out. I've had two from them and their service is truly horrific in my experience (do a search on this board and you will find that this is a common issue.) I would never spend another penny with Devoucoux.

The older Butet design was not as horse friendly as the newer models, but were always known as great rider saddles. Now that they have the new tree design options, personally I think they've hit the ball out of the park, and Beval service is very reliable.

FWIW, both the Dev and the Butet are "customized," not custom... meaning they are not made from scratch, but rather offer a variety of options that can be combined to suit a particular horse and rider (short flap on a wide tree, forward flap with blocks, etc.) If you want full custom, my recommendation would be Richard Castelow.

Happy shopping!

BREEDINGMANIAC
May. 12, 2009, 10:20 AM
I would go with a Devoucoux- I just don't like the Butet's-made my horses back really sore- changed saddles and fixed the problem!

May. 12, 2009, 10:56 AM
The older Butet design was not as horse friendly as the newer models, but were always known as great rider saddles. Now that they have the new tree design options, personally I think they've hit the ball out of the park, and Beval service is very reliable.

I agree with the above. I have a new one and it fits most horses nicley. However if they are very wide and/or have a big wither you can pretty much forget it, unless you have one made with the special options that they offer. However customer service is AMAZING and the people are great to deal with. They have lots of demo saddles you can try out and they had mine to me from the East to West coast in 3 days! If your doubting saddles I would say order a test ride one from Beval, it cant hurt.

On another note. I HATE the Devoucoux they hurt my seat bones and I was never able to quite get along with that brand saddle.

Pirateer
May. 12, 2009, 11:57 AM
I LOVE the Devoucoux. Good luck with their customer service :)

Punkie
May. 12, 2009, 12:58 PM
I LOVE my Butet and have come to dislike riding in anything else!! (I begrudgingly own an Antares for my TB because that was the best choice for him, but I would have no love-loss if it were gone tomorrow!). I was able to have my tree widened just a smidge for my Hano. and I had the flocking changed from foam to wool, and that seems to have made all the difference! I tried a bunch of Devoucoux saddles before my Butet and they were just too much saddle for me. Then again, I've spent most of my life riding in an OLD pancake of a Pessoa (back when Pessoas were good saddles), so I like there to be as little saddle as possible, but either way, I am a big Butet person!

MissIndependence
May. 12, 2009, 10:52 PM
I own 2 Butets, a Devoucoux and a CWD. I honestly love my Butet's - but I have to say I think the Devoucoux puts me in the best position and is a very very balanced saddle. I have the Biarritz and it's a lot of saddle when you put it next to the Butet. I do bigger jumpers - so I have found I like the support of the bigger saddle and I can feel my horse - but I still love my Butets as well. I think it just depends on the feel and comfort you are looking for. I was lucky and found my Devoucoux used thru www.fine-used-saddles.com so I didn't have to mess with their customer service which I had heard nightmares about. I found Butet's customer service to be fabulous!

Wedonit
May. 13, 2009, 11:35 AM
They're both top-of-the-line saddles and I think it just comes down to personal preference. When I was shopping for a nice saddle I was lucky enough to have friends who let me ride in theirs and try them out. I did try a Devocoux but still preferred the Butet like crazy. My friend prefers her Devocoux like crazy. It's more about how our bodies and riding styles fit in each saddle, and how each saddle fits our horses. I don't think anyone but you can decide what's right.

c.harrison1
May. 13, 2009, 03:06 PM
I have a 98 butet, a tad coffin, and I HAD a Devoucoux. The Tad is fine for what it fits, but definitely not for every horse so I tried to trade it in for a Devoucoux this past year. Tried a demo socoa and loved it. Ordered the "same" thing, but got a very different fitting saddle (think saddle pads flying out from under the saddle). I'm not bashing Devoucoux, but I agree with the poster who said try to find a used one that you like. My devoucoux went back a few times until I said enough was enough and went back to my butet. So my vote is for Butet!

superpony123
May. 13, 2009, 03:14 PM
ABSOLUTELY a Devoucoux. By far comfier and i find them to be just a tad nicer (okay, so they cost roughly the same new or used--an arm and a leg, of course) They seem to last longer, from what i've seen. I have a devoucoux socoa model that i bought used two yrs ago, and it's almost 10 yrs old. you could barely tell it was more than a year or two old when i bought it, and it still looks quite new. the only way i could tell it wasn't new is because of the part of the flap where stirrup leathers turn the leather darker. I use it everyday on two or more horses, and it holds up excellently. It's a great saddle. Best i've ever ridden in, and i've ridden in a number of beval's and butet's, all equally expensive and reputable.

The only suggestion i have is that if you get a devoucoux, PLEASE buy it used! I did, and it was a perfect transaction. Do not buy directly thru devoucoux, try to find it at a vendor at a horse show (which is what i did) or in a tack shop, or on one of those used saddle sites (someone on here im sure can link you, ive seen several great sites) because i'm sure you have heard the nightmare stories of trying to get your custom saddle thru devoucoux. So if you really need to go custom, i'd suggest Antares, but if you don't need a custom saddle, you'll be saving yourself a lot of money and time by just finding a nice used devoucoux somewhere (and usually they will cost around 2k-2,500 used. i haggled for mine and paid 2k. an excellent deal, as it's made with buffalo and calfskin, the more expensive options. you could spend 4-5k on a new custom devoucoux, and unless you NEED custom, i don't think you want to spend that much for fun! haha)