PDA

View Full Version : Dark purple show coat?

CDNJumperGirl
May. 11, 2009, 08:38 PM
Ok, I`ve been going back and forth about this and I figured I`d poll some people:

I`m going to make myself a show coat (yes, I know I`m nuts!) and I`ve been looking at fabric and have fallen in love with dark purple material. Not bright, like the dark navy of purples. Like this(ish): http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=RR331

I`m not showing the A`s, I`m really not showing much but when I do its mostly local with some young horses and often in the jumpers.

I`d pair it with a white shirt, TS breeches, and a CO hampton helmet... so pretty classic otherwise. Also the horse would be groomed and turned out to the 9s- I would never do anything less.

What do you guys think? If we have navy which is dark blue, and hunter green which is dark green, why can`t we have dark purple coats? :yes:

Parker_Rider
May. 11, 2009, 08:43 PM
I, for one, adore it!!! While you're at it, could you make me one too? ;) I would totally rock it in the jumpers! I think it's really subtle but something new and different. I am all for the classic look and am really picky on my coats, but I think you picked out a great color to try. Especially since you're wearing it with something so classic too - white shirt and tan breeches. I say go for it!! (and again... totally serious about you making me one too!! :))

bascher
May. 11, 2009, 08:44 PM
I LOVE the color purple...so my biased opinion would be go for it! And if you do, I expect pictures:D

mcm7780
May. 11, 2009, 09:04 PM
I don't do hunters but I like it! Please post pictures when you complete it! I can make simple articles of clothing but would never dream of making a jacket! I'm sure I could make one, I just doubt it would fit whomever I made it for!

OneMoreTime
May. 11, 2009, 09:13 PM
I would LOVE a purple coat! I have a GP that is dark navy w/purple overplaid & a vivid purple lining, and an RJ that is med. navy with grey/purple overplad and a lavendar lining. I wear either white (w/purple or lavendar monograms) or various lavendar/lilac (some plaids) shirts. I'm always looking, in vain, for a purple hunt coat. I would definitely covet yours!

PLEASE post a pic. when you're done :)

woodhillsmanhattan
May. 11, 2009, 09:20 PM
I am pretty conservative and I acutally really like it! As long as it doesn't look like carol's from the saddle club :)

TheOrangeOne
May. 11, 2009, 09:29 PM
I've wanted one for a long time- really deep eggplant, almost black. Jealous!

dghunter
May. 11, 2009, 09:31 PM
As long as it doesn't look like carol's from the saddle club :)

:lol::lol: ditto

I LOVE purple and my coat is grey with purple striping so I may be bias but I think that would make a lovely jacket :)

HARROLDhasmyheart
May. 12, 2009, 12:58 AM
I really like it! It's a pretty tasteful shade of purple as far as 'non-conservative' colors go...infact, I had to squint at it to tell it was purple! You MUST post pictures as soon as you are done with this coat :)

Ambrey
May. 12, 2009, 01:12 AM
Arista is making a dressage coat in Eggplant now, which is a similar color- I think it will be the new Navy :)

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=MD%20361-362/1130.0.0.0.0.0.0

Moocow
May. 12, 2009, 01:27 AM
Beautiful! I think if you like it, then why not? Jumper land is a little more relaxed than hunter land. ;)

Kenike
May. 12, 2009, 01:30 AM
I love it! I must have it! I'd wear it in the hunters, too! I mean, it's subtle enough, and with the conservative shirt, etc, why not??? Purple is my color, too! (my favorite!)

horserider12
May. 12, 2009, 07:28 AM
oooh, I want one too! would look beautiful on my dark grey horse. Looks like you've got yourself a new business to support your horse! Can we see pics when you are done?

MintHillFarm
May. 12, 2009, 09:05 AM
I LOVE IT - it will be just beautiful! Remember to post pictures when it is done...

caradino
May. 12, 2009, 09:15 AM
I HAVE ONE! deep eggplant purple with pinstripes. i love it.

it's an older Grand Prix i picked up used for $75, it's my only coat, and i've shown hunters and eq in it. i've worn white, light lilac, and pale pink/beige shirts with it, and all those colors looked great. i adooore my coat! i'll try to get pics up at some point.. i'm at work now being delinquent.

GreystoneKC
May. 12, 2009, 09:39 AM
Go for it CDN! And I'd love to see when it's finished!

I have 2 "purple" coats, one is a bit of an eggplant colour similar to the tone of your fabric with a navy windowpane and the other is (hard to describe) almost a charcoal with a purple undertone with a brighter purple pinstripe and royal lining. I get more compliments on these two coats than any other jackets!

This is the eggplant-ish one being borrowed by one of my students (sorry I can't seem to find any really good pictures of it) - http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=2715&id=1770451853

This is the more "purple" of the two jackets - http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2324901280053076870VsXhNG

I found it funny that while looking for good pics to show off the colours, I came across this photo of two of my students who were borrowing both of my purple jackets for a show standing together! - http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=2756&id=1770451853

Purple can be beautiful and classy, and just a little bit different!

Hunter Mom
May. 12, 2009, 10:30 AM
Where did you find a pattern for a show coat? I might have to consider making one!

HuntrJumpr
May. 12, 2009, 10:41 AM
Try Suitability - I am also making a coat (although not in such an awesome color!) and my pattern is from there.

EllenAspen
May. 12, 2009, 10:45 AM
I like it...its classy....

Aliascml
May. 12, 2009, 11:16 AM
I like it! Good luck on making it... You will have to post pictures of the final product. :)

theroanypony
May. 12, 2009, 01:37 PM
I am pretty conservative and I acutally really like it! As long as it doesn't look like carol's from the saddle club :)

haha that made me crack up. My friend's and I used to often joke about her odd obsession with purple clothes. :lol: OP, I think the fabric you posted would make a really pretty coat though! And definitely post after photos!

CFiona
May. 12, 2009, 01:44 PM
Try Suitability - I am also making a coat (although not in such an awesome color!) and my pattern is from there.

wow, i'm totally interested! My mom makes clothes - how much fabric would you have to buy?

HuntrJumpr
May. 12, 2009, 01:59 PM
If I remember right my size was about 2.25 yds for the wool and the same for the lining, but I could be wrong. We also bumped up how much we bought since I'll be doing the sewing with my mom's guidance and I'm a bit limited in my sewing experience. I got really beautiful light-weight wool (navy with a pattern) and a really nice lining material that is a blue-gray. I'm really excited to work on it. If it goes well I have plans to do a black, brown, and gray coat. And maybe purple now? :P But I'm getting ahead of myself. Hah.

superpony123
May. 12, 2009, 03:32 PM
purple is my FAVVV color, so i'm a bit biased :D honestly, when i opened it up before the picture loaded, i was thinking "who the hell would have a purple coat!" and i love the fabric. You really had to squint a little to tell it's purple! Very nice. I'd probably be concerned with the judge thinking "WTF?" but now that i'm seeing other links to full purple coats--i cant even tell theyre purple,. just barely. So i say go for it ! just make sure it fits nicely, the fabric is good quality, and it's a subtle purple. Like more black than purple. haha.

POST PICS WHEN DONE!!!!! :D

Across Sicily
May. 12, 2009, 08:55 PM
I've been trying to find a dark purple coat for about a year now....

I finally decided to go custom, but of course, they didn't have purple fabric and couldn't source any. (go figure)

I'm jealous you're getting this! It will be gorgeous!

brightwhitestockings
May. 12, 2009, 09:00 PM
As long as it doesn't look like carol's from the saddle club :)

lol EXACTLY what i thought when i saw this thread! :lol:

Indy
May. 12, 2009, 09:02 PM
I think it'll be gorgeous!

Atypical
May. 12, 2009, 10:30 PM
Oooh, if it comes out well would you be interested in making another? me likey

nycjumper
May. 13, 2009, 09:36 AM
I'm pretty conservative in my fashion choices and I think it's absolutely lovely!!! Good luck and please do post pics when you're done. (And if you're interested in doing a side business, I'd say you have a lot of potential customers on this board ;) )

CDNJumperGirl
May. 13, 2009, 11:13 AM
Okay okay :lol: Its too pretty! I`m going to do it.
Pattern is on its way here, and once I have it and know the fabric requirements I`ll order the material.

For those who might be curious, this is the lining I`ve chosen; a lovely dusty purple:
http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=YY181

I`ll make sure to post pictures when its done- and if it turns out well then I might just have to make some of you guys a coat too :yes:

Mtn trails
May. 13, 2009, 11:40 AM
The color doesn't show up on my computer, just shows a black box :no:

Sounds nice though. Go for it.

ToTheNines
May. 13, 2009, 11:44 AM
Pretty! Personally, I would LOVE to have a bleeding madras jacket!

Atypical
May. 14, 2009, 01:17 AM
In all seriousness, i would love one, and I'm the epitome of the conservative dresser

LiveLikeUrDyn04
May. 14, 2009, 07:24 AM
I am in love with the idea however my own concern is: will the coat look faded when you are out in the sun? Some blacks get a purply tint when they fade.