PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know large pony named "Are You Kidding"?

pwynnnorman
May. 11, 2009, 08:58 PM
I came upon some things about her and was wondering if there might be a picture somewhere.

bascher
May. 11, 2009, 09:25 PM
I know that the pony is/was owned by Lindsay Sceats, but I'm still trying to find a picture :)

rjg2a
May. 12, 2009, 11:04 AM
Are You Kidding was bred in Virginia by the Rodgers. Drew Taylor won a lot on him his green year. Are You Kidding is (was?) out of Tease Me Not, a broodmare with an outstanding record of producing winners.

pwynnnorman
May. 12, 2009, 01:08 PM
I would so love to see a picture of him! Smallwood Paris has been around for such a long time, but it seems hard to find photos of his offspring. I stumbled upon "Are You Kidding" totally by accident. Someone told me he won quite a few model classes as well. Anyone know if he had an exceptionally long neck (my SP filly does--unlike her mom--so I like to think it came from her dad)? Was "Are You Kidding" a hack winner, too? I've heard he did really well in/around 2004. Is he still competing?

blueponies
May. 12, 2009, 02:29 PM
I am sure I can get pictures of Are You Kidding "Bart". I also have pictures of his full sister Always Kidding "Peaches" that was also bred at Moriah Farm. We just sent her out of the barn a week ago to go be a broodmare in Northern Virginia. Contact me at Marjorie@MoriahFarm.com for more pics and info.

rjg2a
May. 12, 2009, 03:07 PM
Oh good! With Majorie here, there's a legit authority on the subject.

Pwynn -- The pony who won so much in 2004 was probably "Who's Kidding Who", ridden by Sam Schaefer. He's at least a half brother of "Are You Kidding" but a few years younger. I'd also venture to say that a ton of the credit goes to the mare. She was bred often to different stallions and her babies had a high rate of being very successful pony hunters. Perhaps Marjorie can tell you more about Tease Me Not.

I'm sure there are others out there who know more about these ponies than I do...

blueponies
May. 12, 2009, 06:04 PM
Who's Kidding Who is a *Pendock Masterpiece out of Tease Me Not. Have pics of him as well if wanted. I have pictures of Tease also, let me know.

"Tease Me Not" pedigree

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/tease+me+not2

AreYouKidding
May. 13, 2009, 12:18 AM
That's my pony!!!!!!!!!!

I got Kidd (used to be Bart, I think) quite a few years ago from Jen Bieling in FL. He had just been Reserve Champion at the Pony Finals (winning the jumping and 6th or 7th in the hack), I was quite lucky to have him. We ended up winning the pony medal at Devon and being Reserve Champion in the Pony Medal at Pony Finals in 2004, he is a superstar. He does have a super long, cresty neck. Unfortunately, along with that crest came Cushings... and he ended up having some problems with founder. He is living happily in a field in CO today at MM Ranch, teaching occasional lessons and launching kids when he feels the urge. He is the best! I have one million pictures at home from when I showed him, I can post one when I get home tomorrow. But anyway, Kiddlet says hello from Colorado!

Vintage Hills
May. 13, 2009, 08:18 AM
Please let me know if you have any pictures of Paris babies. We have him now and he is doing great! Still breeding!
thanks
Keri
VintageHillFarm@aol.com

VirginiaBred
May. 13, 2009, 07:05 PM
Reta Rodgers bred the "Kidding" ponies and Richard Taylor showed them on the line in Pony Breeding classes. All gorgeous and amazing ponies.

VirginiaBred
May. 13, 2009, 07:10 PM
I bred Otteridge Foxtrot's dam to Smallwood Paris twice and the resulting full sisters are owned by Leigh Thompson in PA. Gorgeous girls. One showed on the line and was quite successful (winning at Upperville, etc.).

VirginiaBred
May. 13, 2009, 07:12 PM
Are You Kidding was bred in Virginia by the Rodgers. Drew Taylor won a lot on him his green year. Are You Kidding is (was?) out of Tease Me Not, a broodmare with an outstanding record of producing winners.

Drew rode the older brother.

chunky munky
May. 13, 2009, 08:34 PM
Actually, I believe that I judged Drew on this pony in the VPBA, at Culpeper right before the facility was sold to Tom Struzzeri. It was most likely her last junior year. He had not yet broken his green. I remember thinking at the time he had a great canter. And yes he had a long neck and was very horse like. I am glad to hear he is happy.

rjg2a
May. 14, 2009, 10:31 AM
From the James River prizelist, Drew was grand green pony hunter champion on Are You Kidding in 1997, as well as high point pony hunter champion (overall grand pony hunter champion?).

http://www.jamesriverhorseshow.com/trophy_winners.htm

These things can always be wrong though.

pwynnnorman
May. 14, 2009, 02:09 PM
Hi, Keri! Where are you in NC? My Paris filly is the sweetest mare I've ever bred and a very good mover and looker. How old is he now? Would you happen to have any pictures of him, maybe from his younger years? I wish the one black and white shot on the Smallwood website wasn't the only one out there.

That's my pony!!!!!!!!!! I got Kidd (used to be Bart, I think) quite a few years ago from Jen Bieling in FL.

Oh! Eerily "close" to crossing paths, since I'm not far from Jan's neck of the woods now.

And, wow, what a mare Tease Me Not must have been! So, since poster AreYouKidding did indeed do very well with Are You Kidding in 2004 AND Who's Kidding Who ALSO did well that year, there were TWO of her babies out there simultaneously doing fabulously. Now there's a breeder's dream.

VABred, do you have any pictures of those Paris babies?

It's fascinating hearing about an older stallion like this. Coincidentally, I had an interesting conversation about the get and grandget, etc., etc. of Carolina's Red Fox just the other day.

VirginiaBred
May. 14, 2009, 05:27 PM

See above post for a picture.

AreYouKidding
May. 15, 2009, 01:44 AM
Here's a picture of Are You Kidding, Devon 2004 - photo copyright of James Leslie Parker.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=11753&id=716226770&saved#/photo.php?pid=2364311&id=716226770

Would love to see baby pictures if anyone has them!

VirginiaBred
May. 15, 2009, 07:05 AM
AYK, that link requires a password. I'm sure I hve pictures but good luck me finding them............

Mel0309
May. 15, 2009, 11:20 AM
AYK, that link requires a password. I'm sure I hve pictures but good luck me finding them............

If you sign into your facebook account and then click on the picture it will come up for you.

Vintage Hills
May. 15, 2009, 01:28 PM
I don't have any pictures of Paris as a baby. Phyllis was going to look and thought she had some around somewhere. He is 27yrs. old this year. He finished covering his first mare of the season last night. He's great to breed. He knows his job better then I do!

Vintage Hills
May. 15, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hi, Keri! Where are you in NC? My Paris filly is the sweetest mare I've ever bred and a very good mover and looker. How old is he now? Would you happen to have any pictures of him, maybe from his younger years? I wish the one black and white shot on the Smallwood website wasn't the only one out there.

Oh! Eerily "close" to crossing paths, since I'm not far from Jan's neck of the woods now.

And, wow, what a mare Tease Me Not must have been! So, since poster AreYouKidding did indeed do very well with Are You Kidding in 2004 AND Who's Kidding Who ALSO did well that year, there were TWO of her babies out there simultaneously doing fabulously. Now there's a breeder's dream.

It's fascinating hearing about an older stallion like this. Coincidentally, I had an interesting conversation about the get and grandget, etc., etc. of Carolina's Red Fox just the other day.

We are located in Aiken, SC. I have another pic of him on my facebook page also. If I could figure out how to put a picture up on this I would.

Vintage Hills
May. 15, 2009, 01:35 PM
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=22069&id=1089607069#/photo.php?pid=419844&id=1089607069

Ok, this is the link to go to facebook to see a pic of Paris! Not cleaned up and in his fly leggings! 27yrs. old!

pwynnnorman
May. 15, 2009, 08:45 PM
OMG! He looks GREAT! When was that taken? Recently? He doesn't even look in his twenties!

Meanwhile, though: Which one of the pictures in the first URL (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=11753&id=716226770&saved) is Are You Kidding? The gray? WHOOPS. Never mind! I saw the name over the pic. Thanks!

VirginiaBred
May. 15, 2009, 10:21 PM
Gorgeous full sister to the sister I posted a picture of on page one, which is 12.2.

This one is a large! :)

VirginiaBred
May. 15, 2009, 10:22 PM
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=22069&id=1089607069#/photo.php?pid=419844&id=1089607069

Ok, this is the link to go to facebook to see a pic of Paris! Not cleaned up and in his fly leggings! 27yrs. old!

He is still fabulous. Be sure to see the two daughters I posted pictures of.

Vintage Hills
May. 17, 2009, 04:15 PM
Thank you so much! We love him dearly! I took that picture two weeks ago I think. I hope to have him around for many more years!

Vintage Hills
May. 18, 2009, 08:25 AM
I want this one!!

VirginiaBred
May. 18, 2009, 09:45 AM
I want this one!!

Which one???

Vintage Hills
May. 18, 2009, 01:27 PM
the liver chestnut filly! She is gorgeous!

Hey! Does Anyone know about the stallion Rainbeau West and who had/has him?

thanks
Keri