PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Breeds in the Hunter Ring

happyhacker
May. 11, 2009, 08:03 PM
Other than TB's and Warmbloods, what breeds have you seen be successful in the hunter ring at the A's ? Let's hear about unusual crosses and horses that look like one breed, but are actually something else. Can judges tell what breed a horse is if it is not branded? How much does breed matter if the horse is a good mover and finds eight jumps?

horserider12
May. 11, 2009, 08:06 PM
I have one I am doing this year, it is a solid bay, quiet, good mover, looks like a throughbred warmblood cross. It is an appaloosa (papered) with no color!

trv_at_tacf
May. 11, 2009, 08:07 PM
I have seen alot of appendix quarter horses do fairly well. I must admit there are a few that i have mistaken for warmbloods, but later found out they werent!:lol:

Ray
May. 11, 2009, 10:14 PM
on a good day, my 7/8 TB 1/8 Clyde is mistaken for a WB. she does fine in over fences, not the hack. In my experience, the bigger the show, the better the judge, the less they care about the breed or who your trainer is and just look at the round.

paint hunter
May. 11, 2009, 10:19 PM
My registered paint is starting to compete in hunters. He went to his first rated A show a few weeks ago and did training hunters and baby greens. He was 8th in each of the training hunter rounds (16 and 17 horses each) and was 3rd in one of the baby greens. No mistaking his color, although he is 16.3+ and is 1/2 TB. People always ask if he is an Art Deco offspring. Ummmm, no. I tell them he is a Texas WB!

ef80
May. 11, 2009, 11:43 PM
I've known quite a few arab crosses (usually quarter or paint) that were able to masquerade as welshes or welsh-crosses. They are a fantastic way to go for the pony shopper-on-a-budget. :)

Little Indian
May. 11, 2009, 11:55 PM
The pony that I showed from long stirrup to large ponies is an arabian/andalusian cross (papered!) He rarely was less than 2nd in a hack (often the winner) and was most always mistaken for a welsh x or a german riding pony. He doesn't jump anymore (not because he can't) and is teaching lots of little kids how to ride! He's 15 this month on the 20th and I've had him since he was a 3 year old.

mypaintwattie
May. 12, 2009, 12:07 AM
There are plenty of QH's competing at the A's- a girl at my barn has a few that she competes successfully on the A Circuit and the AQHA Circuit. She won 2 AQHYA World Championships last year, and is a regular on the SoCal A Circuit. You would never know that they were QH's by looking at them-they look like a TB or more refined WB.

Aliascml
May. 12, 2009, 12:11 AM
Many Quarter Horses, Appendix Quarter Horses, Paints, an arabian/morgan pony, from our barn have done very well in local to big shows.

sycopony
May. 12, 2009, 12:21 AM
I have a Morgan that I do hunter with... unfortunately in CO it seems like all the shows I have been to have QH judges... and since his head isnt on the ground and we are actually moving, we usually dont place well. :cry: I am training a Clyde right now, trying to get him into hunters and jumpers

Charmb
May. 12, 2009, 12:26 AM
Hmm....have seen appaloosa/warmblood cross in the hunter ring up here. And there was a spat of Appaloosa's showing dressage for a while too...one was a son of Secretariat no less. We had a hackney cross a number of years ago that was sensational..but showed in jumpers. An old rope horse was also jumping at the same time with a junior, and he was amazing! Then we have had cleveland bays....tennessee walkers as well in hunters. Even at the rated shows. But the latest was the Appaloosa/warmblood gelding two years ago. I didnt have much time last year to watch and see, as I had a trakehner in the younng horse riding tests at the big show here.

dghunter
May. 12, 2009, 12:38 AM
Friend had a Cleveland Bay that did pretty well locally. I've also seen an Andalusian at some of the A shows around here but no idea how they do. I also saw a Fresian last year (or was it two years ago now?) at some of the local shows.

Moocow
May. 12, 2009, 02:33 AM
I knew a Polish Arab large who did very well. Never placed in the hack but was adorable and consistent o/f!

Kenike
May. 12, 2009, 02:38 AM
I, too, know someone that had a Cleveland Bay (full, not cross) that did very well in the hunters. I loved him and found my affection for the breed because of him.

Fly_High
May. 12, 2009, 08:56 AM
I have a Morgan that I do hunter with... unfortunately in CO it seems like all the shows I have been to have QH judges... and since his head isnt on the ground and we are actually moving, we usually dont place well. :cry: I am training a Clyde right now, trying to get him into hunters and jumpers

I almost said, "hey my friend competes a Morgan in CO too" Then I looked at the name and realized you are my friend. haha Nice to see you have joined us.