PDA

View Full Version : Video equitation critique please!

TuckawayVT
May. 11, 2009, 07:13 AM
My 10 year old daughter is competing in short strirrup equitation and hunters at 18 " height. She is seriously invested in improving her form over fences and in general. We don't have consistent access to a trainer so would very much welcome suggestions/ critique and any exercises for schooling...The large pony is a gem, does not rush the jumps and is a good confidence builder.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdV4pectRmA&feature=channel_page.

rabicon
May. 11, 2009, 09:28 AM
In the jumping photos her irons are to long for jumping. The irons should touch at her ankle at this time when hanging. Then she needs to put the weight into her heels and not pinch with her knee. She is pinching with her knee which throws her leg back and she is almost standing in her irons over jumps. She needs to wait for the horse to pick her up. These tiny jumps she should barely be out of the saddle over a jump. Most of the jumps I can see air between her and the saddle. She doesn't have to close her body so much either over these small jumps. Since the pony is really good set up a grid of xrails and have her jump them without reins first. This will teach her exactly how to let the horse lift her and that she doesn't need to throw herself up because if she does without the reins she's probably going to fall on her head. Then after that take away the irons and give her back her reins and jump the grid to build up the legs so she can use the calves to hold and not her knee. Good luck

Hunter Mom
May. 11, 2009, 10:05 AM
I agree with all that Rabicon said regarding legs & seat. Her reins are also too long, with her hands dropping way too low. There should, theoretically, be a line from the elbow to the bit, and hers create an angle with the hands as the vertex. In some of teh o/f pictures, it also looked like she struggles with her release. does the pony pull? She seems to fold over her hands instead of using any kind of release.

joiedevie99
May. 11, 2009, 10:21 AM
I second what has already been said- work on keeping butt towards the back of the saddle (not over the pomel) over fences, and pressing the heels forwards to keep her lower leg from slipping back in the air.

On a related note, the list of divisions you are looking to enter seems excessive; short stirrup hunter (4-5 classes), short stirrup equitation (4-5 classes), suitable hunter (4 classes), 18" jumpers (3 classes) and medals (1-3 classes).

Stick with 2-3 divisions at 18" for a week long show(assuming you are showing during the week), maybe 2 divisions for a weekend show, one division (maybe plus the medal class) for a one day show or you are going to have a burnt out kid and a tired, sour pony. Also, be careful to check cross entry restrictions (especially btw short stirrup and the sutiables) since you are going sans trainer.

TuckawayVT
May. 11, 2009, 02:58 PM
Wow, thank you everyone for the very helpful feedback thus far (please continue to add your thoughts, they are welcomed and appreciated!). She refers to a show in her "video" and it is a 2 day show w/ 3 classes in the 18" suitable and 3 in SS hunter, plus one single 18" jumper class the first day, then 2 SS eq the second day. I think we will drop the suitable division, you make a good point. We are not planning on the 18" medal class.

The suggestions for her form help confirm my own impressions, but as the mom I tread lightly on trying to be her trainer. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We will definitely focus on the suggested exercises w/o reins in a grid and w/o stirrups. The placement of the hands, how much of a release up the neck and how high or low on the crest is something we were working on yesterday. I asked her to release to the pony's ears to exagerate and feel what that was like and she really had a hard time w/ this. I got on and showed her what I meant and she said, mom, that looks awful and I said I wasn't meaning she would release that much in general, but to over-compensate in order to give her body the feeling and start to break a habit. I then had her put her hands and arms forward and back while she posted aound at the trot and I think it helped some to get the hand movement independent of the upper body. In her typical release over the jumps she does not move her hands forward up the neck much at all. I have not seen her catch the pony's mouth except on a couple occasions, but I imagine it does not give the pony a feeling of having ample freedom, if this makes sense. I think judges of SS level classes would like to see the rider give plenty of room w/ the rein?

The pinching w/ the knee and getting the base of support deeper seems to be one of those things you can't rush, but rather have to build on by daily repetition of exercises, usually the ones we all dislike doing, like posting w/o stirrups. We did also shorten the stirrups another hole. They seem to keep stretching!

thanks again for all the help

GGsuperpony
May. 11, 2009, 03:21 PM
Someone may have already said this but.... Thumbs on top!

Cute pony, cute kid! Looks like a good pair. I will leave the rest to the pros!

CenterStage123
May. 11, 2009, 04:48 PM
Not going to comment on the eq, which has pretty much been covered, but why is she in tall boots? If she's in short sturrip, that means she is under 11 or whatever your areas specs are. Thats WAYY to young for tall boots! It should be at age 13, or when you move up to horses, or if your doing the regual pony hunters. Sorry, its just my pet peeve.:)

rabicon
May. 11, 2009, 04:54 PM
I see no problem with tall boots but I was thinking she looked older than 10. More like 13. :lol: Be careful with teaching a long release that she doesn't throw herself up the neck and lay on the pony.;) That will just throw him on his forehand and risk her going over one day. Really work without the reins and she will get the feeling and carry that over to riding with reins. You have to do it a good bit though.

TuckawayVT
May. 11, 2009, 09:47 PM
Yikes, I've been busted on the tall boots :( I KNOW she should not show in them. They are equi-leather by the way, very reasonable in price and she kind of wore me down asking, but she will not be showing short stirrup in them. Again, thanks for the feedback, it helps to confirm things and I don't take any offense.
We did grids tonight w/o reins and then w/o stirrups. There were 3, 2 stride crossrails and then we did verticals. Going w/o the reins seemed to help a lot and w/o stirrups was a good challenge for her leg.
I still think it's hard to give an image for how to keep the back of your seat more towards the cantle than over the pommel. Any ideas?

joiedevie99
May. 11, 2009, 10:12 PM
Practice it on the flat. I used to have my pony club kids trot around in regular two-point, then i would randomly yell 'jump' and they would have to assume the position. Bonus points for exageration- heels way down, butt towards the ponies tail/closed hip angle/belly button to the pomel/belly button to your knees/kiss the neck (depending on what image works for the kid) and hands the ears. They have to hold it for three strides, then resume normal two point. Saves lots of wear and tear on ponies while the kids figure out how to move their parts.

Then they move on to doing it at canter, and doing a 'simulated jump' where they are in full seat canter on stride one, two point on stride two, exagerated jumping position on stride three, two point on stride four, and full seat on stride five- rinse, repeat. Then take out the two point strides.

Supplementing that with lots of bounce exercises and cross-rails with no stirrups will keep the kid learning to move their parts and learning the right feel without trying to jump for the horse- or simulate a fake position over the fence.

hrsgirl07
May. 11, 2009, 10:14 PM
I still think it's hard to give an image for how to keep the back of your seat more towards the cantle than over the pommel. Any ideas?

"Turn- Pike Toilet"... Push your hands forward to shut the door because the lock is broken, squat because you don't want to sit on the nasty public toilet!

ReeseTheBeast
May. 12, 2009, 09:36 AM
"Turn- Pike Toilet"... Push your hands forward to shut the door because the lock is broken, squat because you don't want to sit on the nasty public toilet!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is great!

Petstorejunkie
May. 12, 2009, 09:57 AM
Yikes, I've been busted on the tall boots :( I KNOW she should not show in them. They are equi-leather by the way, very reasonable in price and she kind of wore me down asking, but she will not be showing short stirrup in them. Again, thanks for the feedback, it helps to confirm things and I don't take any offense.
We did grids tonight w/o reins and then w/o stirrups. There were 3, 2 stride crossrails and then we did verticals. Going w/o the reins seemed to help a lot and w/o stirrups was a good challenge for her leg.
You've done alot of what i was going to suggest. As to how to keep her from lunging forward: tell her to just hold a half seat, grab mane and close eyes about 6 strides before the jump. she has to learn to let the momentum of the jump dictate the 2 point. if you can see it you can screw it up ;) once she gets the feel, then have her start to do it with airplane arms and eyes open