PDA

View Full Version : Maffitt Lake Equestrian Center

Hunter Mom
May. 10, 2009, 05:59 PM
I was just wondering how this new venue's first big weekend was going. I hope to get to go later this year, but this weekend and next didn't work out for me.

What is the scoop? How is the facility? Results from the Prix?

SweetTalk
May. 10, 2009, 06:20 PM
Ditto! I would love to hear the Prix results too

Jumpersluck
May. 10, 2009, 07:57 PM
I have to give it to Maffitt Lake, the grounds are really nice. It will be better when the grass grows in but they have a nice setup going on. Everything is close together, the burms are GREAT for watching, and I loved the permanent stalls. I unfortunately had to leave before the prix, but they definately were going to have a great competition. The only thing I didn't like was the parking was a little weird.

OneonOne
May. 11, 2009, 12:07 AM
I stopped out this weekend to have a look. The facilities look great - granted, I wasn't showing, so I can't speak from that perspective. Yes, they need some grass, but I think they were still moving dirt just a couple weeks ago, so that's ok by me.

The only thing that I noticed (again, as someone coming to spectate) was that we had to drive across the barn-to-arena high traffic area (horses, people) to get to the parking area. Unless I wasn't paying attention and missed another parking area, which is possible, I guess.

I'm hoping to hear the results of the prix, too! I couldn't stick around for it.

phoenix mom
May. 11, 2009, 10:32 AM
Does anyone know who the photographer is for this show?

HunterObsession
May. 11, 2009, 07:40 PM
I went yesterday and watched the prix. Alex Granato and Mad Season won it. It seemed like a tough course as there were a ton of rails and time faults even from the normally flawless riders and horses (Janine Carhart and Panache, Kim Barone and Kid Rock, Nick Novak and Malone, etc.)

I agree with the comment about parking... it is located in a very bizarre place. I think it will look much better with grass. It is actually a really tiny layout which I was not expecting. The stalls have nice doors that the horses can stick their heads out of, but they are very small. The roofs are tin, so my friend said when it was raining it sounded terrible and the roofs don't go down very far so a bunch of tack trunks got soaked. The rings are all very close together and small and it seemed crowded even with the very small amount of people there this week, so I can't imagine how crowded it will be if more people come in the future. The competition seemed pretty tough from a few of the rounds I saw.

TrotTrotPumpkn
May. 11, 2009, 08:34 PM
This is a bit off-track, but I swear Malone was the name of the horse Nick Novak was riding forever ago when I lived in Mpls. Am I totally wrong?

HunterObsession
May. 11, 2009, 08:36 PM
This is a bit off-track, but I swear Malone was the name of the horse Nick Novak was riding forever ago when I lived in Mpls. Am I totally wrong?

Nick has had him forever so you probably are not crazy! :D

OneonOne
May. 11, 2009, 11:05 PM
No, you're not crazy. Nick was riding Malone at Mason City at least 7 or 8 years ago.

hjprincess09
May. 12, 2009, 12:39 AM
Nick stabled across from us at Spring Mason City - we were talking and Malone is 19 - been doing Prix with Nick for 13 yrs. Got 3rd at MC behind Janine Carhart/Panache and Kim Barone/Kid Rock. Good prix there also this spring.

SweetTalk
May. 12, 2009, 10:13 AM
Nick stabled across from us at Spring Mason City - we were talking and Malone is 19 - been doing Prix with Nick for 13 yrs. Got 3rd at MC behind Janine Carhart/Panache and Kim Barone/Kid Rock. Good prix there also this spring.

Well I sure did not know Malone was that old. He is going strong and showing up to compete (and winning a lot!). Cool.

Rye
May. 12, 2009, 04:28 PM
Malone....I heard he does some kind of plasma transfusions with the horse to keep him going. I forget what it's called.

Kid Rock is no youngster either.

HuntrJumpr
May. 12, 2009, 05:53 PM
Kid Rock is 17 this year. :) Its nice to see both of those "older" horses doing so well.

GrayCatFarm
Aug. 9, 2009, 02:54 PM
Ran up to Maffitt Lake to look at some horses, and the facility is definitely coming along. Grass has now taken root and all the rings were functioning (grand prix ring was rained out first show). Not as many people as May, but they had a great exhibitors party with sweet corn and ribeye steak sandwiches Sat night. Owner was passing out frozen ice cream treats personally to everyone and thanking them for attending (a nice touch). Horrible heat and humidity (heat advisory) but that's not their fault. All the wash racks have rubber mats and cross ties and individual hoses. They moved the vendors from the far side to close by the stabling this time and so it was really convenient. My current horse is not A quality (no lead changes), but our barn is supporting the venture. It is a lovely facility, and for me the parking was not an issue. The parking is actually next to the stabling and adjacent to the hunter warmup ring. So, instead of changing clothes in the portable toilets or the tack stall, I could just hop down to my car, turn on air conditiong and voila! Also, they have a separate jumper warmup ring going now as well. Both warmup rings are quite large.

Hunter Mom
Aug. 9, 2009, 10:05 PM
That is good to hear. We'll be there next weekend, and we're excited. I am not bringing my girl this time (half of my classes would be Friday, and I HAVE to work :( ) but am considering the September shows. There are several others from my barn taking horses, and we're going to cheer them on, and DD is going to do lead line.

GrayCatFarm
Aug. 9, 2009, 10:10 PM
Back next weekend to cheer on a stablemate who took first in one of the pre adult classes, much to her glee. Still looking for that next level horse (who does lead changes :lol:)....

wesierobb
Aug. 9, 2009, 10:16 PM
First class horse show, at a first class facility. Well run, NICE office people, good footing, beautiful jumps that were powerwashed at night so they were clean and shiny for the next day.........and the GRASS IS GREEN!

Seriously, if you didn't know, you would never believe that this is a brand new facility. It is so FINISHED, and done so right......no corner cutting. Raised tin roofs on all the outbuildings, permanent barns, underground wiring for sound, etc. TREES, they must have planted a zillion trees, and BIG ONES that will actually give shade before we are dead and gone.

The grand prix today was super...........only 3 made it to the jumpoff, and Alex Granato and Mad Season won again. Each horse went faster than the one ahead of it, and the tension was so thick.......you could have heard a pin drop in the very large crowd that was enjoying a catered lunch under the big tent on the berm.

Can't wait for next week....