PDA

View Full Version : What do you do after a horse show?

Sadie*Bear
May. 10, 2009, 12:16 PM
I've just been thinking lately what everyone does with their horse after a horse show (or a circuit). I have been to barns where they think that the horse should be given a light hack the day after to get all the muscles moving a bit because they were working really hard. I have also been to a barn where you gave the horse the day off. Just wondering what everyone thinks. (Im taking about the "A" circuit h/j shows)

thanks. :D

eqrider1234
May. 10, 2009, 12:28 PM
It depends on the show and how it went.

If it was a 2-3 day show and it went well she gets normally 1-2 days off, but she goes out all night so I do not worry about her getting stiff

If it was a 2-3 day show and she was bad for whatever reason (has only happened once that I had to do this) I will school/ have a lesson the next day

If it was a one day show that went well I normally give her a day off or just do a light hack in one of the pastures or around the barn but not normally in the ring.

If it was a one day show and she was bad again I will have a lesson or school on whatever went wrong.

With all that said I do like to give them a day off for some rest and relaxation, if I did not have access to turnout I would probably do a light hack, but she is able to go out in a 1 acre pasture all night so that is not a problem for us.

fourmares
May. 10, 2009, 01:06 PM
Day off with turn out.

theroanypony
May. 10, 2009, 01:10 PM
We do 2 day shows 1-2 times a month. The week of the show, I flat my pony two days, jump in lessons two days, and jump while showing two days. It's a long and stressful week for him. When we get home from the show, he gets two days off in his pasture, then an easy but working hack, then its back to work the next day. I think it really depends on your horse when deciding how much time off he needs.

superpony123
May. 10, 2009, 01:24 PM
a one-day show gets a day off. if it's on a sunday then the pony get's two days off (just because barn is closed on tuesdays anyway)

if it's a multi-day show i give the pony several days off :)

JOBEAN
May. 10, 2009, 01:33 PM
Light hack/long walk the day after then a day off with turn out.

Tha Ridge
May. 10, 2009, 01:44 PM
Most "A" show barns are closed on Monday anyway so horses will usually get a nice day of turn out and then a light hack on Tuesday.

IsolaBella09
May. 10, 2009, 01:49 PM
Ditto what Tha Ridge said. That is what I do. One day shows, he gets a day off with turnout. If it's a two or more day show he gets at least 2 days off with turnout.

heartinrye
May. 10, 2009, 06:39 PM
My horses always get 1 day off after a multi-day show, after a one-day show they will get a light hack. After multiple weeks away, they get one day off for every week they were away, so last winter after 14 weeks of showing, horses got 2 weeks off!

TheOrangeOne
May. 10, 2009, 06:45 PM
I try to put mine outside for as long as weather permits (a day and a half or so) and just have him come in to eat. Moving around and eating grass and getting muddy is the best thing for a little soreness. I think they get sick of being primped on, too.

otwist123
May. 10, 2009, 07:00 PM
I always give my horse at least one day off after a show. The longer the show, the more time off. He is turned out 12 hours a day, everyday, so I don't have to worry about him being stiff.

Wizard of Oz's
May. 10, 2009, 07:45 PM
For local 2 day shows, just a day off. But for long shows it'll be longer. When our barn got back from a month-long show, all of the horses got 3 days off, but with at least 6 hours of turnout each day.

spmoonie
May. 10, 2009, 08:42 PM
I usually give my pony the same number of days off as the show lasted. So if it was a 3 day show, he gets 3 days off. Hes not the type that has to be ridden everyday anyways.

HARROLDhasmyheart
May. 10, 2009, 08:48 PM
(This is for A shows): the barn is closed on Monday's anyways, so I'd either come out and see Mr. Harrold and just take him for a hand walk/groom him, or wait until Tuesday and give him a light hack. Work continues as regular after the day off (Mon) and light hack (Tues).

woodhillsmanhattan
May. 10, 2009, 08:50 PM
My horse generally gets 2 days (with turnout) off after a show. I have a lesson ever wed. so my first day back is a lesson. I actually don't mind this. My horse is rested, hasn't forgotten what he learned at the show, and I generally have a good and progressive lesson. Then he just gets hacks in the field or light flat work for the rest of the week.

hideyourheart03
May. 10, 2009, 08:54 PM
My horse has always gotten one day off after any show of any sort. Even if it's a week long, he gets one day off and then a light week after that. Always gets his normal turnout though, as long as it's not raining. Normally I'll handwalk or graze him as well. After 2 or more weeks, he'll get a longer break of 2-3 days. When we went to Ocala for the circuit down there and he showed for 5 weeks straight, he got a week off when he came home.

All the barns I have worked at, including one BNT, have done it this way. Before Indoors/at the end of the summer shows, the BNT's horses will get about another week off to make them happy. They also all get lots of time off in Nov/Dec. Then they get another week or 2 off at the end of Florida.

shawneeAcres
May. 10, 2009, 08:56 PM
drink a beer! :yes:

Oh, wait, you meant the HORSE, well HE drinks a beer! :lol:

Seriously though, after the beer, mine usually get turned out (this time of year at night) and not worked for 1 or 2 days. We jsut got back today around 2:00 pm from a three day show. The gelding that I rode got turned out when we got back, as he didn't show today, so was not out of the stall at all (it was a fast hectic morning with two of my kids showing and we knew we'd be done early). It wasn't too hot today, otherwise I would have put him up, but since it was nice he went out in a paddock to nibble grass and move around, and wills tay out all night tonight. I will probably ride him again Wednesday, he is a young horse and this was his first show.

Pirateer
May. 10, 2009, 09:00 PM
After a 4 day show I always turn out in the indoor once I'm home, then usually off for Monday and then back to work on Tuesday (albeit lightly)

sweetpea
May. 10, 2009, 09:59 PM
trail ride and low key the day after, then 2- 4 days off.

Aliascml
May. 10, 2009, 10:45 PM
The horses at our barn, get at least one day off, usually more, after any show. The lesson horses are put out in the pastures the night of the show and boarder's horses are put out the day after the show, so they don't get stiff.

BridalBridle
May. 10, 2009, 10:48 PM
THe day I come back from the show it's a painkiller, Valium chased by Chardonnay.....the horse doesn't have to look at me til the next show cause I'm too sore.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol:

mep0726
May. 11, 2009, 01:08 AM
I normally turn him out when we get home, and then bring him in the next day and groom him very thoroughly. Our BM is also an equine masseuse, so I'll normally have her give him a massage as well.

Renn/aissance
May. 11, 2009, 01:14 AM
Depends on the intensity of the show and how long the horse was shipped. Tip's schedule is usually three days "on", one day "off," but since shipping is stressful and horse shows normally involve more jumping than average days, the day before a horse show is light work and he will usually get either a trail ride or a day off the day after a show with turnout. If it was a multi-day show and he worked hard every day, he'll get at least one day off with hand-walking and turnout, usually two. For a show where we drive 20 minutes, do one class, and go home, I don't see the need to give him the next day completely off because he is fit enough that that is not a major stress on him.

mvp
May. 11, 2009, 08:35 AM
Only thing I do that others haven't mentioned: Take the horse off the rig. Let him pee in his stall, unwrap him and let him roll in our indoor, getting all the horse show shine off him, allowing him to do his own chiropractic adjustment and get back to being a horse. Then he gets more candy and told, one more time, that he is the greatest horse ever to walk the face of the Earth.

EllenAspen
May. 11, 2009, 09:33 AM
I also have a glass (or two) of wine. My mares take a couple of days off...we are all tired.

findeight
May. 11, 2009, 09:43 AM
Not much at all for a few days. Even on the road, they all get Monday off-turn out if possible (and my barn gets paddocks on site) or just a light trail ride-worst case a 5 minute lunge-if there is no or limited turn out available.

Light work only the week after, if any. Best is looong turn outs.

Keeps them mentally fresher longer. Shows are stressful for them in many ways.

chawley
May. 11, 2009, 09:49 AM
If it's a one-day show, I will usually give him the next day off (he goes out). For a multi-day away show, I typically will give him a couple days off. I think more than anything, it's good for his brain to have the time.

PNWjumper
May. 11, 2009, 11:17 AM
My horses get turned out in their pastures (where they live 24/7) and I get back to them when I've caught up on all the other stuff the horseshow's been making me miss out on.

Sometimes that means they just get one day (Monday) off, sometimes it means they don't get ridden again until Thursday or Friday. I've been known to give them a couple of weeks off after the last show of the season. My family appreciates "mom's return" when the showing's done for the year :lol:

Aside from getting unwrapped (if they were wrapped) after getting off of the trailer, they don't get any special treatment other than lots of pats and goings ons about being the best horses in the world! Oh, and sometimes an extra flake of hay :)

LetsChat
May. 11, 2009, 11:50 AM
Day off with turn out.

I second this..... Turn out to make sure they are walking around and not getting stiff but a day off to let them just relax and be horses, the ultimate reward for time away at a show.

eclipse
May. 11, 2009, 02:24 PM
If it was a 1 day show or just a couple of days of showing, then I give the next day off with turnout in her nice big field (she keeps moving that way). If I've been to a multiple week show (2 weeks or more) then she will generally get 4-5 days off in the field. Not enough time to get unfit but enough time to relax, eat grass & play with her field mates! :D

dani0303
May. 11, 2009, 02:28 PM
2 days off with turnout then a light hack or trail ride on the 3rd day.

rabicon
May. 11, 2009, 03:15 PM
I do dressage and c/ts now but I do the same as I use to when I did hunters and jumpers. He gets at least one day off after a show sometimes more. Depends on when the next show is. I only ride 3-4 times a week anyways but my guys really goes out and kicks butt and loves his job. He's in shape and can do a dressage test and then s/j or run xcountry and is fine. He is turned out usually 24/7 unless the weather is bad so he can move and not get stiff. I have heard some people say that its better to ride them the next day but what I do has always worked and my boy is 15.