PDA

View Full Version : Meet my new filly, Faith! Also, a special thank you to Shawnee Acres...

HuntJumpSC
May. 9, 2009, 11:25 PM
I posted a thread earlier this week under "Alternative Ego" about this filly. Well, I made the trip to Chapel Hill today, with my friend Darci as a second set of "eyes" and have come home with a darling new friend!

Her name is Faith, and she just turned 2 on April 30th. She is currently measuring 15.1, and according to the string test should top out at 16 or 16.1. She is absolutely the sweetest, quietest 2 year old I have ever seen. She loaded onto my trailer like an old pro, and never made a peep for almost 4 hours of trailering. She unloaded nicely, looked around and started grazing. Turned her out and she just calmly walked off. :yes:

The pics I originally posted did NOT do her justice and if I told you how much I got her for you'd never believe it. She's a lovely mover, even though she's butt high and gangly right now. When she grows into herself, she's going to be very cute~ but it's what is between her ears I love so much. She's a real people horse, and has the kindest disposition~ my mom has already fallen in love with her. :D

Her show name is going to be "High Flight" in memory of my dad. The name High Flight comes from a well-known aviation poem that every pilot knows and was read at my dad's funeral. My mom loved it and I know my dad would be so honored. :sadsmile:

Faith will be staying temporarily for a month or two at my friend's farm, until I can get a section of fencing back up at my place and get it ready. Our summer is going to consist of lots of groundwork and one on one time. I'm not planning to back her until at least September. I want to take things nice and slow and really get a good foundation going~ the end result will be so worth it.

Shawnee~ Thank you SO much for the reference! Karen is absolutely wonderful and so nice! She is very happy that Faith and I are such a nice match and I have never had a more pleasant experience going to look at a horse. I got to meet Lucky and wow, what a horse! I can see why his babies are so awesome! I told Karen you said Hi, she was tickled to know that I know you from here at COTH. :cool:

Without further ado- here are some pics Darci snapped of me & my new friend. My mom even got in on it, the pic of her making friends with Faith is too cute! They're just snapshots, but you can get an idea of what she looks like~ also, thanks to everyone who responded to my other thread. I have found the perfect project and couldn't be happier! :winkgrin:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59/HuntJumpSC/DSC00474.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59/HuntJumpSC/DSC00471.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59/HuntJumpSC/DSC00465.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59/HuntJumpSC/DSC00472.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59/HuntJumpSC/DSC00478.jpg

HARROLDhasmyheart
May. 10, 2009, 01:57 AM
Congratulations, and best of luck with your new pony! She's a cutie, that's for sure. And I love how she doesn't seem to mind the dog around her legs in the first picture--hopefully that's an indicator of a very calm, unflappable mind to come :)

myforx4
May. 10, 2009, 07:29 AM
Congrats!

LittleGray
May. 10, 2009, 12:09 PM
Ohh...I just want to squeeze her cute little face! She has such a kind eye. Congrats!

Brydelle Farm
May. 10, 2009, 03:05 PM
Congrats on your new edition!! I had her mom up here for awhile and have several pics of Wendy (aka Plum Precious) under saddle if you are interested. Feel free to email me at dani@brydelle.com. Karen is one of the kindest people you will ever meet and an excellent horseman! I am so glad you found what you were looking for!!

IsolaBella09
May. 10, 2009, 03:43 PM
Congrats! She's a cutie, I love her color! :D

shawneeAcres
May. 10, 2009, 07:48 PM
I was waiting to hear if you bought her or not! I will tell you that Karen breeds (or did breed, since they are now out of the breeding business) some of the BEST MINDED youngsters! And nearly all of them are very nice movers. They tend to be a little plain looking, not really conformationally gorgeous, but they are tough and hold up well to work. I think a lot of that is because her babies are "range raised", they live most of their lives out on HUGE fields with cattle and other horses and they only grain them in the winter or if they are keeping one up, so basically they get grass all summer and hay in the winter, I think that makes their bones much stronger and also her youngsters grow til they are usually 5+ years! She doesn't pump them up with feed and supplements making them grow fast as yearlings and two year olds like SO many breeders do, instead they grow slowly, which keeps their joints. bones and ligaments in proportion. THey may look a little rough around the edges, but they are like "country come to town" and clean up real good!! Also in spite of not being handled daily, her young horses are all SO calm and easy to work with. You will love this filly, I guarantee!!!!

Czar
May. 10, 2009, 08:20 PM
My favourite cross!

P.S. Cute boxer...yours or the barn's?

bayknight
May. 10, 2009, 08:23 PM
so , so sweet! That first picture...!!!! I just want to sqeeze that cute nose!!! I love her, she looks like a winner through and through! I will always stand by how you can "see" a horses personality in their eyes alone, and in hers their is nothing but kindness!!! :yes:

I can't wait to see updated pic's down the road once you start training! Good Luck!! :D

HuntJumpSC
May. 10, 2009, 09:50 PM
I absolutely love her~ she is soooo sweet! Went out this afternoon to check on her and let my husband "meet" her. She was in her stall in the barn between two other mares she's buddied up with. The other two were up on either side of her, she was laying down. My first thought was "OMG, she's down!" Then I realized she was just chilling out. She very calmly just got up and came over. When I talked to my friend who's keeping her for me this evening, she told me that yeah, this filly literally slept while she was out there. She kept checking on her, and she was laid flat out, asleep, with her little legs twitching from a dream. Too funny! Everyone loves her, my hubby said she's the prettiest horse he's ever seen. :)

Brydelle~ I would love to see some pics of Wendy! I got to meet Lucky and he's just too cool~ and of course, Karen is just awesome. What a super nice person, and all of her horses have such wonderful temperments! I am so tickled to have found such a neat mare~ I know we'll get along great!

Czar~ The boxer belongs to my friend. She got him as a show dog reject. He was going to be high dollar, then suffered an eye injury that left him slightly scarred. He's a big love~ intimidating if you don't know him, but he's actually just a big slobbery bouncy pest! :cool:

Shawnee~ She is the best-minded baby I have EVER seen! I've never seen one just take everything in stride like she did yesterday: the loading, the trailer ride, the new surroundings...she just is so laid-back! I can't wait to start working with her~ I can tell she's going to be so enjoyable! :winkgrin:

jen-s
May. 10, 2009, 09:51 PM
I loff her expression and I'm so happy for you! Please keep us updated with pics of her as she grows up.

shawneeAcres
May. 10, 2009, 10:08 PM
I do also have some pics of her dam showing and schooling with my student riding her that bought her from Karen. Let me know if you'd like to have them and can email them to you. The dam was one of two fillies that Karen and I bought in Maryland as yearlings. The filly I bought, I had to sell when I moved, but then she came back to me two years ago and I marketed and sold her for the person that had bought her from me. The dam of this filly was the other filly, we bought both from the breeder and owner of The Plumber.

HuntJumpSC
May. 11, 2009, 11:07 AM
Shawnee~ I'd love to see pics! Thanks! :)

ChocoMare
May. 11, 2009, 11:11 AM
Loff the pic with your (I'm assuming) mom. Caption should be "Aren't you just gramma's girl?!" :D

Congrats! :)

Brydelle Farm
May. 12, 2009, 08:00 AM
Shoot me an email and will be happy to forward what I have...I just found a pic of Wendy with baby Faith by her side, that Karen sent me when she was born.

Congrats again!

HuntJumpSC
May. 12, 2009, 08:41 AM
Email sent~ can't wait to see pics! I went out and gave her a good grooming yesterday and did very basic walk and halt on the longe. She was so good! I'm going out to my farm Saturday and getting the barn cleaned & ready. Then all that will have to be done is to put up a new gate, and refence a section where the other barn used to be. :)

shawneeAcres
May. 12, 2009, 10:10 AM
Send me an email carrie@shawneeacres.net and I can send you some pics of her dam jumping and working on the flat when she was here.