PDA

View Full Version : So, are entries really down?

momof3
May. 9, 2009, 10:19 PM
Just wondering how the economy really is affecting/has affected showing. Were the entries in Florida/winter circuits really down? Never been, but by browsing results, and looking at entered horses, things looked the same. How about local shows where you are?

neigh.neigh
May. 9, 2009, 10:35 PM
HITS Ocala was smaller then it has been for the "C" rated divisions, pretty much the same for the "A" divisions though. Around here in New York there have been A LOT less entries for the B and C shows. Shows that used to run until dark with classes being cancelled with two judges are finishing by 4 or 5 with one judge. Pretty scary!!

Peggy
May. 10, 2009, 12:21 AM
An article in the COTH magazine said that the winter circuit entries were down 11-40% (I think those were the numbers) from last year, depending on the circuit and the week.

toxicity
May. 10, 2009, 02:26 AM
Local shows in our area are apparently doing awesome. I went to one today with the barn to help out and it lasted until 6:00 PM. The people running it were surprised; they were only expecting around 30 horses. Two divisions had to be split: the 2'3" hunter/eq and cross rails hunter/eq.

The circuit I show in (they're equal to "C" rated, but only three out of the year are recognized) are doing fine in entries as well. Actually, they seem to be bigger than they used to be.

feather river
May. 10, 2009, 02:55 AM
Local shows in our area are apparently doing awesome. I went to one today with the barn to help out and it lasted until 6:00 PM. The people running it were surprised; they were only expecting around 30 horses. Two divisions had to be split: the 2'3" hunter/eq and cross rails hunter/eq.

The circuit I show in (they're equal to "C" rated, but only three out of the year are recognized) are doing fine in entries as well. Actually, they seem to be bigger than they used to be.

from what I understand in California, everyone still showing has been dropping down a notch or two. The A shows are down. The B and C Shows are also down some. The local County shows are doing really well.

And McDonalds is doing great in 2009.:)

XenophonKnows
May. 10, 2009, 03:42 AM
thus far the local shows seem to be reaping the benefits of economizing. Instead of traveling farther to bigger shows people are staying closer for the local, lower rated, or completely unrecognized shows.

supershorty628
May. 10, 2009, 08:53 AM
The junior jumpers at Saratoga this week had fewer entries - there were only 25 or so in the classic, whereas last year I think there were 30something.. everything else seemed pretty normal, though.

Jumphigh83
May. 10, 2009, 09:23 AM
Yes..the entries are DOWN. The local shows (I am talking LOCAL, as in nothing painted, 10 foot stride) are doing fine. I don't understand why you would bother to "show" when, in fact it is a schooling round over nondescript fences used earlier in the week for the up/down type lessons? I guess a change of scenery is nice though....I am STILL amazed that VT RAISED the stall fee $25 dollars to $225 a week...well I guess they are counting on HITS being down and them being the only game in town. <<<sigh>>>

pony4me
May. 10, 2009, 09:51 AM
The barn I ride at is very nice and has a lot of AA riders. They started a local show series last year which was sparsely attended. This year entries were up for the first show, and are looking good for next week's show. They have nicely painted jumps with ferns and flowers, a good food vendor, a photographer and year-end series awards. The lines are set at A show length, and the jumps are not dumbed down to a lower height than what's listed. In other words, 3' IS 3'. These shows may be an affordable alternative for someone who shows more for fun than for points, or to increase the resale value of a horse.

At the two A shows I've done this year, entries seemed the same as in the past. My friends who show a lot on the A circuit have not changed their schedules. Only a couple of parents I know have told their kids they are doing fewer away shows this year, and this was mostly for financial reasons.

IsolaBella09
May. 10, 2009, 02:06 PM
I've been doing local and "A" shows. I was at Garden State last week for the entire week and there definitely were less entries than last year. My friend showed in the Itty Bitties and the Pre-Preliminary Jumpers and each had around 40 entires, while last year they had around 90. I didn't see as many people, nor as many horses, and there wasn't as much excitement about Garden State as there was last year. There were also less vendors. The local circuits have been fine in my opinion. There are a good amount going in each class. I did local finals 2 weeks ago and there were 10 in the children's jumpers while friends did the Level 0s and Level 1s which had around 15.

nomorecold
May. 10, 2009, 02:56 PM
There are fewer than 200 entries in St. Louis is week. Clearly that's not good. No 3'6" A/O and only 10 juniors.

http://horseshowtime.com/showclasscount.asp?Show=2465

ToolTime
May. 10, 2009, 03:06 PM
Don't want to take this off-topic, but do they waive the late registration fees in order to try and get some more entries in?

Go Fish
May. 10, 2009, 03:06 PM
I'm on the West coast...A and AA shows definately down. I'd say the hunters are down 50% across the board. The jumpers are down, but holding their own.

Thermal was a ghost town the last two-three weeks, this after hunter entries down at least 50% for the entire circuit.

I don't do the locals so I don't know how they are faring.

I should also mention that my barn has less show customers going this year. Trainer has a lot of green prospects and sale horses in the barn, though.

Claudius
May. 10, 2009, 04:20 PM
Juniors and ponies look like they were okay, but the 4 older A/O's and the single digit divisions were sad. The breeding classes were worse.....several classes with but one horse in them!!

bascher
May. 10, 2009, 04:26 PM
Juniors and ponies look like they were okay, but the 4 older A/O's and the single digit divisions were sad. The breeding classes were worse.....several classes with but one horse in them!!

Haha at St. Chris's we had 30 in the younger AAs, 23 in the older AAs. At Garden State there were also 30 in the younger AAs. I think it depends on the division...AAs certainly haven't gone down AT ALL!

Hunter Mom
May. 10, 2009, 05:50 PM
We haven't been to anything rated yet this year, but the local circuit shows are huge. We went to one a couple of weeks ago that did 18" to 3', and they didn't end on day one until 1:30 A.M. I showed starting on class 17 and didn't go until about 7 in the evening. Day two was smaller, but still didn't end until 8 I'm told.

FWIW - This is a show on a local circuit, nice footing, good facility, dressed up jumps with real distances & heights.

feather river
May. 10, 2009, 06:31 PM
the whole market is dropping down a notch due to the economics. And the bottom is not hurting. just like WalMart and McDonalds. People have to shop and eat somewhere.

and some people can keep showing, but they need to cut the costs, so everyone drops down one level. The AA classes are cheaper than the AO's. The local shows are cheaper than the AAA shows.

This should be a good year for local or regional shows who have creative show management.

grandprixjump
May. 10, 2009, 07:19 PM
Don't want to take this off-topic, but do they waive the late registration fees in order to try and get some more entries in?

Did you miss the other thread about fees? The show managers are INVENTING NEW FEES to screw the people who can still afford to show. They now have nominating fees for Hunters and Equitation, where there isn't even payback...

:lol::lol::lol:

MyGiantPony
May. 11, 2009, 12:59 PM
We had our spring show yesterday (local, non-rated). Last year we had around 80 horses, this year we had around 60.

Think it was a combination of the economy, the weather reports were varied, and there were other shows competing against us this weekend and it was Mother's Day.

findeight
May. 11, 2009, 01:04 PM
Local USEF top rated major 2 week show is off about 400 entries, no tent stalls or only one set of them IIRC. Still a big show with good numbers.

Our local affiliate type shows have been a little off and it seems to me we are way down in the WT and X rails divisions populated by those just starting out. But those already in are still out there as usual.

Hunter/JumperMom
May. 11, 2009, 01:04 PM
Old Salem Farms Spring 1 had between 40 - 47 kids in the Big eq. Not sure about the other divisions, but the Medal, Maclay, USet, etc were large!

DuffyAgain
May. 11, 2009, 03:23 PM
A & AA Rated shows - I'm hearing entries are about 30%+ off.

Mayaty02
May. 11, 2009, 04:46 PM
Old Salem Farms Spring 1 had between 40 - 47 kids in the Big eq. Not sure about the other divisions, but the Medal, Maclay, USet, etc were large!

was there only one section?? Once upon a time that show would have had at least two sections in each the Medal and the Maclay...with 30+ in each.

Nickelodian
May. 11, 2009, 04:55 PM
I've heard the West Coast has been hit the hardest as far as show entries. Others have been smaller but not significantly so.

monalisa
May. 11, 2009, 06:00 PM
I went to a local show on Sat - there were over 100 horses there - did not show there but it was much bigger than in past years. On Sunday, they offered a B show, same thing, many more entries than in the past.

Someone mentioned that the KY hunter shows (AA) in May at the horse park were way off in terms of entries.

heygirlhey33
May. 11, 2009, 06:45 PM
every show ive been to this year (As), and have gone to in years past have had the same numbers or higher. Not seeing any change by me

Dooner
May. 11, 2009, 08:43 PM
High Prairie has one tent set up in addition to the permanent stalls, which is what my sieve-like mind remembers from years past, and I think it might even have more stalls built than last year. My trainer has about 20 this year instead of the typical 10 - 15.

This is Larry's first year with 3 weeks instead of 2. I'll be interested to hear how the 3rd week is. We're going home after this week.

englishivy
May. 12, 2009, 09:04 AM
I noticed something just yesterday regarding our local circuit (which is a very strong organization).

We have a 3-4 horse parks available to use for A/AA all the way down to grassroots shows; as a result, our local rated (w/USEF affilation) are usually held at one of these parks. We haven't had any local rated "at home" shows, with the exception of one barn, in a while.

But when I looked at the most recent show calendar, there are a good number of one day "at home" local rated shows popping up at farms; if memory serves, around 4 new locations holding shows.

I think this interesting b/c as long as there are 3 your class, the local points will still count. That would allow trainers and clients to earn points at a fraction of the costs (no trailer/stall/day care/shavings/etc fees). And the barn has at least a chance of making some money too, depending upon the number of entries.

My farm also just held a schooling show for my kids, so they could show without the costs. It was fun and super low key. I think everyone (at least in my financial demographic :lol:) is being creative this year.

Hunter/JumperMom
May. 12, 2009, 09:20 AM
was there only one section?? Once upon a time that show would have had at least two sections in each the Medal and the Maclay...with 30+ in each.

Just one section! They don't split until entries reach 50! So when little miss placed 7th in the Maclay! it ment even more!!!!

Personally, I don't know how a judge can pin 40+ kids! I know the USET, the judge called back maybe 20 to jump after the flat phase.

But the Medal - I think was like 48 kids, and only 4 test! Tough class!

Mayaty02
May. 12, 2009, 09:45 AM
Just one section! They don't split until entries reach 50! So when little miss placed 7th in the Maclay! it ment even more!!!!

Personally, I don't know how a judge can pin 40+ kids! I know the USET, the judge called back maybe 20 to jump after the flat phase.

But the Medal - I think was like 48 kids, and only 4 test! Tough class!

Yeah unfortunately when the classes get that big, I think the judges focus more on the name riders :no: so that's awesome that she did sooooo well!