PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Cooperstown NY show-- Help?

mvp
May. 9, 2009, 10:55 AM
This show and clinic are held on grass right? If you have been before, did you use grass studs?

No, these aren't big jumps but my horse would be really pissed if he slipped. He says perfectly good grass is to be Eaten, not Run upon, so his mama had better get this running and jumping thing right.

He's getting shod the last time before the show this Tuesday, so my question is a tad time sensitive.

Thanks!

MintHillFarm
May. 9, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hi MVP: Yes, it is a grass arena, very large too - -We did the clinic and show last year and one horse we were concerned about as he has 4 bar shoes, was fine without caulks. We did have him drilled and tapped in case but the arena is very well prepared and has excellent drainage. The maintainance of the arena area before the show is outstanding and the groundskeeper keeps the grass at the best length. I can well understand your concern so it may make the decision easier to go ahead and prepare his shoes for caulks this time around, you won't have any worries then. Feel free to call me if you need anything else 607-433-2219 - Thanks! Joy

MHM
May. 9, 2009, 12:33 PM
When we went several years ago, we didn't use caulks. IIRC, the footing was very good that year.

Obviously if it rains all week before the show, that's a whole 'nother ballgame. In Cooperstown. So to speak. ;)

mvp
May. 9, 2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks, you guys. I'm really looking forward to a very nice show, nice venue and a much needed clinic before hand. What could be better than getting and a show all in one weekend? Farmers Museum rocks!

Slackerboy-- whose feet never really need to leave the ground in the first place-- will be prepared. Oh, one more thing. "Good turf" means smoother and shorter than a nice but mowed hay field right? Perhaps not as hard and slick as a polo field? Sorry for the technical questions. The last time I had to deal with this I was in California so "grass" meant something different.

MintHillFarm/Joy-- thanks especially for the number. I may call, being a 607 girl myself. How come I don't already know of you/your place? Central New York is not that big....well, not big at all with respect to the H/J scene.

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
May. 9, 2009, 09:28 PM
Small world. I was born in Cooperstown and live only about 110 miles from there now. I did all my Pony Clubbing at Tarli Stables in Cooperstown. It has probably changed hands and name by now.

MintHillFarm
May. 10, 2009, 09:34 AM
MVP - we may know each other...However let's introduce ourselves at the clinc, I will be in the first group with my youngster, a splashy paint.

The grass arena isn't a hay field, it's a prepared turf ring that Jane Clark really went to a huge effort to make into an excellent surface. It really only gets used for this show and one other event. The parking area is thicker grass, though mowed well enough to hack around or lunge on. There is a separate enclosed grass schooling area.

GilbertCA- I have not heard of Tarli Stables, though I have only been up here since '96...perhaps it has another name now. I will ask around!

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
May. 10, 2009, 10:13 AM
Tarli Stables was owned by the Hoyts; Bridget Hoyt was the main trainer. Their daughters were Tara and Lili -- hence, Tarli. I rode there in the 70s. It was a beautiful facility with an indoor, several outdoors for flat work and jumping, and enough well-cared for land to hold three-phase events.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it turned out that it's the same place where you are going. I just can't remember what route it's on. I didn't live in Cooperstown, but we went up there for lessons, shows and pony club.

MintHillFarm
May. 10, 2009, 11:14 AM
I don't think it is the same farm as the show, as to my knowledge, this place has been in the Clark family for many years. There isn't an indoor arena there either...I will have to ask some of the longtime residents about Tarli and will let you know for sure...

ParisHillEC
May. 10, 2009, 12:42 PM
We went last year and it did rain a little bit while we were there, and the footing was fine!

We had some barefoot and some with shoes, no caulks and all the horses/ponies were fine.

Im looking forward to meeting everyone there!!

MHM
May. 10, 2009, 04:10 PM
Wow, blast from the past!

I went to a show or two at Bridget Hoyt's when I was a kid, but I haven't heard her name in probably almost 20 years. I'd love to know if anyone has any news of her.

I seem to recall an outside course there with a pretty good hill involved- certainly not something you see at too many shows today! :lol:

Gilbert, are you related to Stanley Gilbert, by any chance? That was another place I showed as a kid. I remember there was a ring, plus an outside course that had all permanent jumps, and you could jump out of the ring to start the outside course.

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
May. 10, 2009, 04:35 PM
Wow, blast from the past!

I went to a show or two at Bridget Hoyt's when I was a kid, but I haven't heard her name in probably almost 20 years. I'd love to know if anyone has any news of her.

I seem to recall an outside course there with a pretty good hill involved- certainly not something you see at too many shows today! :lol:

Gilbert, are you related to Stanley Gilbert, by any chance? That was another place I showed as a kid. I remember there was a ring, plus an outside course that had all permanent jumps, and you could jump out of the ring to start the outside course.

Hey, neato! You went to a show at the Hoyt's! That's funny about the big hill on the course. I'm sure it just seemed normal to me, since my eventing world was pretty small (and still is!).

I'm not that Gilbert. I married into the name, once I relocated. I did showing at a few barns and fairs in and about Otsego County, but darned if I remember the names now.

mile high
May. 10, 2009, 09:35 PM
Small world. I was born in Cooperstown and live only about 110 miles from there now. I did all my Pony Clubbing at Tarli Stables in Cooperstown. It has probably changed hands and name by now.

Tarli is now a defunct TB breeding farm on Middlefied Center Road - next door to my parents! My Stepsister got her grey mare, "Snowflake" from them when I was about 4 or 5 yrs old!

MintHillFarm
May. 11, 2009, 07:00 AM
We went last year and it did rain a little bit while we were there, and the footing was fine!

We had some barefoot and some with shoes, no caulks and all the horses/ponies were fine.

Im looking forward to meeting everyone there!!

Yes, you are correct, there was a thunderstorm break in the afternoon and the arena footing was fine afterwards...it will be fun to see all of you!

Also - - -In the event of a ton of rain in many inches prior to the clinic day, there is a lovely facility not far that has offered their very nice indoor arena or outdoor arena, on sand, to the show for the Friday clinic...this farm also has stalls available should anyone want to stay overnight. Please contact me for details...

mvp
May. 11, 2009, 07:26 AM
MintHillFarm-- I'll call you today for the lowdown. Just a heads up so you don't feel stalked (or are at least warned!).

I'm of the "measure twice, cut once" school when it comes to horse showing, so I have all kinds of questions about stabling, finding braiders, whatnot.

TIA!