PDA

View Full Version : video critique!-New Video Post #12!!!

neigh.neigh
May. 9, 2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fvm92qC6gI

My horse Layla in the junior hunters in Florida. We scored an 80. Critiques on position, riding, anything would be appreciated :)

Fharoah
May. 9, 2009, 02:01 PM
No Critique from me, I think you look great! I was wondering how tall your horse is? Just for my understanding are there different heights of junior hunters, and what height are the jumps?

hj0519
May. 9, 2009, 03:20 PM
Junior hunters are 3'6". There aren't different jump heights, but there are different classes for different horse heights.

Equitate.
May. 9, 2009, 05:17 PM
Nice round, and I love the horse. Here's what I saw:

You get a little perchy at times (first single mostly) just before the fence.
Your hands are sort of in your lap, maybe try a shorter rein?
Try putting your shoulders back a little bit more.

Just these little things, overall you look very good :)

neigh.neigh
May. 9, 2009, 06:37 PM
Nice round, and I love the horse. Here's what I saw:

You get a little perchy at times (first single mostly) just before the fence.
Your hands are sort of in your lap, maybe try a shorter rein?
Try putting your shoulders back a little bit more.

Just these little things, overall you look very good :)

You are very good at this lol... that is all the stuff I have been working on! Thanks for the critique!

neigh.neigh
May. 9, 2009, 06:39 PM
No Critique from me, I think you look great! I was wondering how tall your horse is? Just for my understanding are there different heights of junior hunters, and what height are the jumps?

Thanks! She is 16.3 which means she does the large junior hunters. If the horse is 15.3 and under it would be a small junior hunter. They all jump the same height, 3'6". They separate them because the different size horses go differently ( the smalls need to go a little more to get down the lines)

pixie
May. 9, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hi,
Nice job! She moves more like a thoroughbred and you are riding her soft and out of the tack which is how they like it and if she isn't a thoroughbred then she likes to be ridden like one!
You are making the same mistake that most people make which is at the end of the ring before your last jump (or jumps) towards home you need to sit in the saddle, shorten your reins and fix the canter. She got all sprawled out and a bit on her forehand after the diagonal oxer then you were heading home and weren't organized enough (you with your reins and seat and her with too big of a stride) and she got past the distance a bit which leaves room for someone to beat you!
good luck!

neigh.neigh
May. 9, 2009, 08:46 PM
Hi,
Nice job! She moves more like a thoroughbred and you are riding her soft and out of the tack which is how they like it and if she isn't a thoroughbred then she likes to be ridden like one!
You are making the same mistake that most people make which is at the end of the ring before your last jump (or jumps) towards home you need to sit in the saddle, shorten your reins and fix the canter. She got all sprawled out and a bit on her forehand after the diagonal oxer then you were heading home and weren't organized enough (you with your reins and seat and her with too big of a stride) and she got past the distance a bit which leaves room for someone to beat you!
good luck!

Thanks! She is actually a warmblood (holsteiner) but yes she does go alot like a thoroughbred. Her canter is very very hard for her to control, she just turned seven so she is still green. But we've been working on it and have made a lot of progress! And I will definitely pay more attention to that, it will help me a lot in the eq. Thanks for the critique!

cavalli
May. 9, 2009, 08:55 PM
I would add lower heels and flatter back.

RxCate
May. 9, 2009, 10:46 PM
You are jumping ahead quite a bit.

Sit up, sit your butt in the saddle and throw those heels down.

I would agree to shorten the reins just a tad, but I like it when riders are able to not have the "death grip" on their horses' mouths, It shows that the horse is calm and a joy to ride IMO.

Other than that, it was a nice, relaxed round, kudos :)

neigh.neigh
May. 9, 2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks everyone!! I have some things to work on :)

neigh.neigh
May. 30, 2009, 12:12 PM
This is Layla's first time at Devon. Not a perfect trip but I was really, really happy with her :) The quality is pretty bad (it is really bad in the beginning but gets better) but anymore critiques? I have been working on the stuff everyone has mentioned and hopefully made some improvements! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bsa-AeG3o0

findeight
May. 30, 2009, 01:53 PM
ummmm...maybe work on keeping your seat a little more in the tack??? Use the hip angle and seat, not your upper body?

Just looked like you have a bit more upper body motion then ideal between the jumps and IMO you are a little too quick to open your hip back up on landing sometimes (which may mean you overclosed it)...maybe if you worked on sitting closer, it would not be such a big move.

She also looks a little sticky off the ground, especially early on...and wondering if it's you making too big a move with your shoulder and not her? Gets a little resistent to you on one corner to the right...thinking too much hand here not enough seat??

Try to find a spot in the saddle that works more of the time...does that make sense? Use your seat to manage her and lay off the face a little for a smoother look.

But, ya know, that's small ring with big jumps in the Jumper phase of the WIHS class and you did do a very nice job of getting around with no major misses, rails or blunders.

You just need to smooth it out a little, all the pieces are there, just put it together. Good job overall, you got the hard part nailed and just need to polish.