PDA

View Full Version : "Beaten Up" Show horse

SquishTheBunny
May. 8, 2009, 01:54 PM
I do the A shows in a competitive division. My horse is not gorgeous, but he is a nice consistent hunter who usually pulls some decent ribbons. He is a dull dark bay at the best of times (just has that mousey tone to him) but once going around the ring, no judges seem to care. He carries good weight and his boring coat is short and tidy.

But, one week before our first show, horse comes in from outside with teeth marks right accross his butt, and half his tail is missing up by his dock. So, his tail cant be braided (and he needs extensions which now cant really be added) and he has a pretty obvious scar on him.

I dont believe in keeping him inside 24/7, that will NEVER be an option for him. He is right now out by himself, but has access to play over a fence.

Should I still show, or would it be "disrespectful"?

kellyb
May. 8, 2009, 02:16 PM
I would still show. I would just do the best I could with the tail (maybe trim some at the top so it's not bushy if it can't be braided).

scheibyee
May. 8, 2009, 02:19 PM
Do the best you can to make him look like he was polished intensely before the show. Judges are generally understanding about outside circumstances. I would say go for it. As long as it isn't hurting the horse and other than the scar etc you are both immaculately turned out, no one should mind :)

OneMoreTime
May. 8, 2009, 02:21 PM
I would say go ahead and show. I don't think he'll look "beaten up", he'll just look like a horse who is allowed to "be a horse"! Give him some extra grooming in advance & try to bring out his natural "bloom". There might be some other things you could do to perhaps disguise the scar a little bit.

Depending on how bad the tail is, you might be surprised - sometimes it CAN be braided from around the other side. Braiders are quite creative :). Even if not, there are certainly horses with better tails than others. There's one horse in our barn who has a perpetual "baby tail" - everyone mistakes her for a youngster (except for the fact that she's enormous!) I'm not a fan of "fake tails" & would rather go with the natural look anyway.

Good luck at the show.

luvs2ridewbs
May. 8, 2009, 02:22 PM
If it can be braided, maybe try a mud tail? I know they are a bit out of fashion but it would look better then a half eaten tail.

CBoylen
May. 8, 2009, 07:14 PM
There are tailpieces that wrap around the dock. Your braider can probably help you get one and use it appropriately.

Penthilisea
May. 8, 2009, 07:57 PM
I would make sure his mane and forelock are braided TIGHT with same color yarn. Also polish the living heck out of his hooves before he goes in the ring. The soles of your boots should be clean too. His white spots (if any) also should be spotless, even if you have to use white chalk. Judges will understand that stuff happens and forgive it if it is CLEARLY an abberation you coulnd't prevent.
And god help you if your horse gets kciked of bitten where a spur would rub- then you stay home and hide in a paper bag! (Happened to me :(

SquishTheBunny
May. 8, 2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys.... I know that he has to look good, and so do I. Not my first time on the A's. But, I figured out what made his tail hairs fall out - chemical burn from MTG!!!! I used it as directed, and his dock is now bald. No hair at all :( :( :( I dont think there is any hope for a wrap around, as there is noting to pin the fake hairs to.

I am a good braider, so his mane always looks great and now that he is bathed, polished and ready to go....the scar doesnt look too bad. Can easily be covered with a bit of hoof polish....just the tail....grrrrr.

Seven-up
May. 8, 2009, 10:11 PM
I don't know what the rules are in Canada, but here you're not supposed to cover up scars. I think the rule is mostly for confo horses, but anyway...

I've had great results with putting some Corona ointment on scrapes. It grows the hair back pretty quick. It won't make the spot go away in a week, but it should at least start the hair growing. It's gooey and gross but it works.

Aliascml
May. 8, 2009, 10:28 PM
I think you should go ahead and show anyway. :)

BearWithMe
May. 9, 2009, 11:22 AM
AHHHH MTG!!!!
my friends horse got burns from MTG as well. i used MTG once a month max to be safe. all horses react differently to it

bascher
May. 9, 2009, 11:40 AM
My guy goes out with his buddy and comes in with teeth marks all over his neck because they play INCREDIBLY hard out in the field :) However, it's good for his mind and they both love each other! Anyway, I still do the A/AA shows, usually a good rub with a towel, show sheen, etc, will hide a lot of his marks on his neck. However, I've never had it where I couldn't braid his tail because of something that happened, but I definitely don't think that should prevent you from showing AT ALL!

Limerick
May. 9, 2009, 03:02 PM
Yikes on the MTG burn!! I just used it twice this week in my daughter's pony's tail. I've always had good luck with that stuff.

cbiscuit
May. 10, 2009, 08:33 AM
I swear the "coat rebuilder" stuff that comes in a black bottle and is made by...equitec? Something like that? They also make that MicroTek fungus stuff. Anyway I swear it makes coats and tails grow back faster. Good luck!

SquishTheBunny
May. 10, 2009, 11:01 AM
Yep, it was definately the MTG - in the garbage it goes!!!!!

Decided to just leave his tail unbraided, it was overcast, thunderstormy and not really worth the effort since he was going to be covered in mud anyway. Did a nice braid job, got his coat shiny (or as shiny as it could be on such a miserable day).

All in all, Im glad I went. He pulled some decent ribbons in our first time at the amateur owner division.

Does any braider have any tricks for a badly rubbed tail dock? I think we need some sort of wrap around extensions before the next show (big A show). I generally braid myself, but have never had this situation arise before so am not used to the different type of extensions.

sidepasser
May. 10, 2009, 12:48 PM
been my experience with MTG that if applied, horse should not go out in direct sunlight all day or it will "burn" like baby oil does if applied on a nose and then horse is sent outside right after application.

Some horses are more sensitive than others and it always pays to do a "test" area (small area about 2" x 2" in a place that won't be "seen" so readily.

Sorry about the tail..goodness, if you will talk to some QH folks, they have absolute fantastic ideas for hiding problem tails..they are the "queens of bling" ya know - lol..

I'd show anyway and maybe get one of the tail extensions that you can put in at the dock.

Plumcreek
May. 10, 2009, 09:35 PM
This colored touch up spray might be useful:
http://www.sstack.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2165&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=116&iSubCat=120&iProductID=2165

A little of the black spray on the bare tail spots might hide things.

Show_hunters
May. 10, 2009, 11:16 PM
One of my horses is a grey and a few years ago at one of the shows a judge who was well known for showing young ponies & horse on the line did not pin my horse due to his bit marks on his hip & neck and small nicks on face. No were on the horse did he have fresh marks or scabs and nor were they red etc. All marks were old and the judge said to me... I like you & horse but the bite marks put you out of the runnings in the top ribbons.

So, for that point on my horse is turned out alone; if at all and I don't show him if he has marks on his body.

Treasmare2
May. 11, 2009, 09:06 AM
MTG and sunlight is a no no. I swear the stuff is bacon grease and drys and cracks the hair in the sunlight. If I use it I make sure my horse is using a cover with a tailgate. The Mircotek stuff is very nice with a much better smell too!!!! Good luck but I think you are going to need to keep that tail moist (with the microtek maybe)and be doing little hair growth dances all summer. Darned tails take sometimes two years to get them back right again. Glad to hear that "Hairless Joe" still got to jog in the line. Tails are pretty but you don't ride the tail but I will tell the tail Gods to pay you a visit.

ccoronios
May. 11, 2009, 11:04 AM
Why don't you just finish the tail job up and make it an Irish pull? Then it can all grow out together and by ??? (next season?)....

C

Show_hunters
May. 11, 2009, 12:30 PM
AHHHH MTG!!!!
my friends horse got burns from MTG as well. i used MTG once a month max to be safe. all horses react differently to it

I have one horse that I used MTG on and he was fine and it worked rather well. However after reading this thread I am thinking that maybe MTG is causing my other horse to lose his tail hair. It's breaking off and now his once nice looking tail is ugly and yes this is my grey horse. EEekkkk! What to do now?

Show_hunters
May. 11, 2009, 12:33 PM
smells like bacon grease .

yes, I agree. I think the stuff does smell like bacon grease. In fact I saying that very thing yesturday as I was putting MTG on his tail.

Seven-up
May. 11, 2009, 07:09 PM
Ya know, as much as I adore bacon, you'd think I'd love the stuff. But it doesn't smell so much like bacon as it does bacon farts.

With the rabid following MTG has, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a secret Parelli product. Does it come with a free pack of Kool-Aid?:winkgrin:

Parker_Rider
May. 11, 2009, 08:40 PM
Ya know, as much as I adore bacon, you'd think I'd love the stuff. But it doesn't smell so much like bacon as it does bacon farts.

With the rabid following MTG has, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a secret Parelli product. Does it come with a free pack of Kool-Aid?:winkgrin:

You made me come |-|this close to spitting wine all over my computer!!!!!

And this would also explain why my poor gelding is losing hair on his dock... no more MTG for him!! :( Glad I didn't put more on to "help" the problem, I just thought he pulled it out when he got stuck in something last month!!!

Come Shine
May. 11, 2009, 09:26 PM
One of my horses is a grey and a few years ago at one of the shows a judge who was well known for showing young ponies & horse on the line did not pin my horse due to his bit marks on his hip & neck and small nicks on face. No were on the horse did he have fresh marks or scabs and nor were they red etc. All marks were old and the judge said to me... I like you & horse but the bite marks put you out of the runnings in the top ribbons.

So, for that point on my horse is turned out alone; if at all and I don't show him if he has marks on his body.

One comment from one judge at one show and now the horse is turned out alone or has no turn out. Yikes.

bookwormdude
May. 12, 2009, 01:05 PM
Yep, it was definately the MTG - in the garbage it goes!!!!!

Decided to just leave his tail unbraided, it was overcast, thunderstormy and not really worth the effort since he was going to be covered in mud anyway. Did a nice braid job, got his coat shiny (or as shiny as it could be on such a miserable day).

All in all, Im glad I went. He pulled some decent ribbons in our first time at the amateur owner division.

Does any braider have any tricks for a badly rubbed tail dock? I think we need some sort of wrap around extensions before the next show (big AA show). I generally braid myself, but have never had this situation arise before so am not used to the different type of extensions.

Aaaahhh!! You have my sympathies with the MTG...had a similar-type reaction with my guy...poor pony! Into the trash it went! My vet recommended the Rebuilder...worked wonders with regrowth. I've heard from more than one source that men who are...um...follicly challenged...have been using it for hair growth. Probably an urban legend, but again, positive results here!

Bacon farts...hahaha. :lol:

SquishTheBunny
May. 12, 2009, 02:07 PM
Can anyone provide me with a link to this rebuilder stuff? Im in Canada so would need to order online if its only available in the USA.

Have a classic this weekend....hummm.....any thoughts???

As far as the MTG and sunlight, I put it on at night, and he stayed inside all night. He must just be super sensitive. His dock is black, so from a far its not too noticible, but he needs to be braided for this saturday!!!

bookwormdude
May. 13, 2009, 12:50 PM
http://www.eqyss.com/mega_tek2.asp

Good luck!

ProzacPuppy
May. 14, 2009, 09:57 AM
While my horses never went in hunters (neither has the movement needed- waaay too much knee and temperment) I've always thought it, for want of a better word, annoying that in a class that is under saddle (rather than in hand) a horse would be judged negatively for average paddock nicks and dings rather than solely on horse and riders' abilities.

I realize some judges are willing to forgive the a few bite marks or old scars but how thick and lustrous a horse's tail is shouldn't really have anything to do with how well horse and rider jumped around the ring.

You can tell I've lived in the jumper ring, can't you?

Paris
May. 15, 2009, 05:20 PM
I have a horse that loves to rub his behind and his tail. This stuff has really worked. MTG did nothing for him either. I just spray this every other day, and it's worked great so far this year.

https://www.muckitch.com/scripts/press.asp

Pony+ an inch
May. 15, 2009, 07:05 PM
I have a horse that loves to rub his behind and his tail. This stuff has really worked. MTG did nothing for him either. I just spray this every other day, and it's worked great so far this year.

https://www.muckitch.com/scripts/press.asp

Our local tack store owner reccomended this stuff to me and I must say I am a fan. I like it a lot. Doesn't smell terrible, goes on easy, and it does the job. Just apply liberally and consistently!

My last horse had a horrible reaction to the Eqyss stuff. The minute I started putting it on him, he got very twitchy and was clearly uncomfortable. I at first thought maybe a bug had bitten him but my mom quickly pointed out he was reacting to the Mega Tek. Well I decided to leave it on just to see if it worked as sometimes he was just a big baby about stuff and would normally go straight to my mom to be coddled for anything he deemed terrible. Next day he had itched even more of the area off and there were hives. Needless to say we stopped that and went back to MTG. Smelled awful, but it did help, and he didn't have any kind of reaction to it. I did not know about the sun though! That I will remember from here on out.

see u at x
May. 15, 2009, 11:31 PM
I use this stuff on my horses and it works amazingly well at regrowing hair:

http://www.dermae.net/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=dei.portal&CMD=DEI.DPRODUCTS&SESSIONID=1511173064A&PN=9125ea&WHICH=

Hopeful Hunter
May. 16, 2009, 11:21 AM
I tried MTG one time on my chestnut TB for a skin issue -- spent more time getting if OFF him because of his intense reaction to it.

I called the company and after some fuss, found out that there was a sulfur-based ingredient that has had "some" reaction problems...I won't touch the stuff anymore.

I have found that Healthy Haircare Spray conditioner can be helpful with those nicks and just dry, sore-looking areas, and have not had any problems with it on Mr. Sensitive, fwiw...

IrishWillow
May. 16, 2009, 12:08 PM
I would do what you can with the tail... poor guy! I would cry. Seriously, I would. LOL

As far as the scar.. Shapleys makes "horse spray paint" in all colors.. I've had GREAT luck covering bites, scars, etc. with it. Its aerosol and sprays on liquid, but dries like a powder and you can just brush it in with a stiff brush. Its not chemical and washes off with soap and water.

SquishTheBunny
May. 16, 2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the tail regrowth advice!!

He went into the classic today, unbraided :( but didnt seem to matter as he pulled off the win! Im going to order some of that stuff next week, so hopefully it will help with quick hairgrowth! Its already starting to come back....but its very sparce. I am pretty sure it was a reaction to the sulphur, our braider said she has seen it happen before.

Pally
May. 16, 2009, 10:34 PM
Congrats on the win. Not that it was a good day for a spit shine turn out today anyway :lol: Every horse was the same colour (mud!) and the thicker their tail, the more mud it held :D

Anyway, when we were in the Running Fox trailer the other day I think my friend was pointing out the Eqyss stuff to us because it's what she uses, and I think Bahrs also has it, so you might not need to order it. :)