PDA

View Full Version : Why do you show below 3 feet

enjoytheride
May. 7, 2009, 08:09 PM
There seems to be a lot of anger about riders that show below 3 feet and I'd like to hear from the riders themselves.

1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating?
2. what height do you show?
3. why did you pick that height
4. do you want to move up?
a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there
b. if no, why not
5. What is the highest you want to jump
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet
8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo?
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing).

bascher
May. 7, 2009, 08:16 PM
I'm supposed to be writing a paper so I can't answer every question but I will say this, when I started showing my youngster and we did 2'6" stuff, it wasn't because we could, it was because I had to. My horse wasn't ready for the higher stuff yet. So it's not like I showed in the lower stuff just because I could or because it was easier or whatnot, I showed in it to give my horse experience.

snaffle635
May. 7, 2009, 08:22 PM
Just started 3' this year. Showed 2'6" for the last three years before that.

I go to A and AA shows because that's where my barn goes.

3' now, 2'6" for last few years. Would have done 2'9", but it was rarely offered.

I showed at that height until I was doing it consistently well. At first, there were a lot of added strides, chips, missed or late lead changes.

At first, I didn't. But just this year I got really tired of doing 2'6". Fortunately both horse and I were ready for the move.

very happy at 3' right now.

Kind of, yes. I bought a younger horse. He has a lot of scope and doesn't pay much attention at 2'6".

I showed at 2'6" because showing is FUN! PLUS, I improved much more during the pressure of a horse show than I did at home. There's something about the showring that makes you step up to the plate more than at home where you can have a do-over. :-)

both

dghunter
May. 7, 2009, 08:35 PM
1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? Mostly schooling and Cs with some Bs and maybe one or two As. Because that's where my trainer goes and I like to save money.
2. what height do you show? 2'6"
3. why did you pick that height? Because I don't feel comfortable jumping any higher.
4. do you want to move up? yes
a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there? Need to improve my confidence more and would like to be very, very solid at 2'6" before moving up.
b. if no, why not
5. What is the highest you want to jump? At this point I'd be happy with 3' :lol: I would be content doing the 3'6" in the show ring and jumping up to 4' at home.
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up? Nope.
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet? Because I like to show. It's a good place to judge my skills and how we're coming along. Showing is a different atmosphere than just riding at home.
8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? See above.
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). I'm not quite sure what you're asking... I have lost confidence for a wide variety of reasons. I would like to improve on not chipping at much as the chips are my fault because I lean towards the fences.

Pirateer
May. 7, 2009, 08:37 PM
I show at B/C rated shows locally and the occasional "A" if I go outside.
2. what height do you show? I generally show in 3' divisions.
3. why did you pick that height. I'm an Ammy and don't have my own horse.
4. do you want to move up? Sure, when i get my own horse.
5. What is the highest you want to jump? I'd probably be fine with 3'6-3'9" but maybe bigger.
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up: Lack of :)
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet I ride what I can get, and I love to dress up. And win.
8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? Competition, although I rarely have any.
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? My problems are mostly due to riding a lot of crap lunatic horses. (And some nice ones too...but they didn't cause the problems)

Wizard of Oz's
May. 7, 2009, 08:46 PM
Uh I don't think there's a problem showing under 3'. I do 2'6"-2'9" because my horse is a little older and honestly I get really nervous doing anything over that, even though I've been riding for a long time. I've done AA shows at that level because I like showing. IMO you can be a good rider and not jump high, and you can jump high and not be a good rider.

HowDoILook
May. 7, 2009, 08:58 PM
A range of "C"'s to "A"'s, maybe a AA here or there. Chosen because that is where my barn goes and sometimes going to a local/schooling show with a pony who consistantly wins at the A's is not fun for other riders who have the local/schooling level horses.

15-17 Eq is 3', Childrens Hunters (Lg. Pony) is 2'6
(I did do 3 years of long stirrup with my pony though)

3. why did you pick that height?
This is what my horse and I are comfortable jumping. I dont want to push him to a point where he breaks down at an early age.

Yes, but on a different horse. My pony can do the 3'6" but Im not gonna push him.

My pony has had some issues with being very concerned about jumping in general. To get him to go over a pole on the ground was a huge deal, never mind there being flowers :eek::eek::eek: We want him to get as many positive experiences hes can going over tons of different jumps and just having a good time. Hence the 3 years of long stirrup

I would love to move up into the higher level jumpers at some point in my life (4'+)

6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up?
Yes, between the jumping confidence issues and him being a Large Pony, there are limitations

Because I am super competitive, and we want him to go out to have a good experience.

8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo?\
Competition and Fun.

9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing).
To ride at the lower heights you still need to have a lot of the skills than showing at the higher heights. Basics such as shortening and lengthening stride, asking for a change, working on the bit... atill have to be done. The lower heights just forgive a little more if you make a tiny mistake to help you learn without killing yourself

IsolaBella09
May. 7, 2009, 09:08 PM
Locals and "A"/"AA" shows. My barn shows at these ratings.
Depends on the show, but usually 3'-3'6".
Trainer.
Yes.
I need an upper level jumper and my horse will not go above 4'6".
b. if no, why not
Grand Prix.
Yes.
I used to show only under 3'. This was when I was a working student/didn't have a horse. I would show on and in whatever I could in order to gain mileage.
Both.
Good eye, mileage, good horse, etc. Like HowDoILook said, the lower levels are a little more forgiving than the bigger level jumps. My problem has always been I have never had a horse that could match my skill level. I've jumped 4'6"+ fences before, but since then I have never had a steady partner, until the horse I have now. But even he can not do the 4'6"+ jumps, so I need a GP prospect. Oy vey...:lol: ;)

Midge
May. 7, 2009, 09:13 PM
I'll give it a whirl.

There seems to be a lot of anger about riders that show below 3 feet and I'd like to hear from the riders themselves.

1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? I have a five year old who is about to make his debut. I am going to schooling shows because I vowed to not spend one A show dollar jumping less than 3'. The caveat is that if I could afford A shows, I would do them.
2. what height do you show? 2'6" for at least the rest of this year.
3. why did you pick that height greenness of horse.
a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there greenness of horse
b. if no, why not
5. What is the highest you want to jump I owuld love to have a 3'6" horse, but I don't think this is one is one. I've been wrong before.
8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo?yes

hoops04
May. 7, 2009, 09:27 PM
Writing this for my as of now horse, i used to do AA at 3ft brewhaha, but since i will start showing my new horse this summer in the baby classes ill put in my two cents.
I dont really have that big of a problem of people showing under 3ft, even when i was doing over 3ft... i think it makes especially kids feel "cool" to go to a show and do anything, even locals....

1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? Right now locals only! yeeehaw!
2. what height do you show? hopeful and schooling hunter... 2ft/2'3" BRING IT!
3. why did you pick that height? new horse in training! not gunna push him too fast
4. do you want to move up? ofcourse!
b. if no, why not.... my horse is just starting to jump and go to shows so im not going to ask him to one go to a brand new place and jumping higher than we have at home
5. What is the highest you want to jump. A/O... eventually
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up. yes, he is new....
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet. well i didnt used to, my old horse and i showed 3ft, blahdeblah at AA shows... just training a new horse
8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? combo... competition is fun, although in hopefuls there is like 2 other people that i will be showing with....
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing)..... i dont really understand this..... to show hopefulls.... i mean all the people in hopefuls in my area are training horses.... all doing the same thing i am!

sansibar
May. 7, 2009, 09:36 PM
A circuit, because the other lower circuits ended up costing around the same
2'9
Because the horse has never shown in the hunters, and the childrens is so freaking competitive
Yup, I may end up moving up depending on numbers
Childrens are tooo competitive
b. if no, why not
Not sure I jumped my retired horse pretty high
to some degree, as she is green
Both
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had?
After I crashed on my gelding I got a bit nervous, however with this new horse we have been doing really well together and helping me actually find spots.

mep0726
May. 7, 2009, 09:42 PM
1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? local shows and "C" shows; those are the shows that my trainer goes to
2. what height do you show? 2'9" adults
3. why did you pick that height I feel that it is a height that challenges me and my horse, but isn't overly easy or overly hard
4. do you want to move up? Eventually, when both my horse and I are ready
a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there I have not had a trainer for the past two years, so that was a big obstacle. My barn recently got a new trainer a few months ago and she is a godsend!
b. if no, why not
5. What is the highest you want to jump I eventually (waayy down the road) hope to be able to do the AO at 3'6"
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up In a way, yes. He is a decent mover and has a decent jump, but isn't great at either. However, in the adults, a consistant trip wins over a fancy horse w/o a consistant trip. However, when you move up to the AOs, "fanciness" begans to count. Also, I am currently in college, so that somewhat limits my time to be able to ride my horse, so I would rather stay at a lower height and work on perfecting myself w/o raising the jumps up higher
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet In my area, the "C" shows are for the under 3'ers. The highest division at our "C"s is the AO/Jrs. which is 3'3" and very rarely fills (most shows only have 2 or 3 entries, if that).
8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? Both; Yes, I want to get a ribbon, but I also want to concentrate on my trip and making it a good experience for both me and my horse.
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). Right now, I'm working on getting more consistant trips from both me and my horse and reversing all of my faults that I developed in my two years without a trainer. I think that some people show at the lower levels because they offer crossrail and w/t classes, and parents want to see (and pay for) their kids to show.

JB
May. 7, 2009, 09:52 PM
I'm not currently showing, but will answer based on when I was, and when I plan to be :)

C shows mostly, because they are in my back yard on a monthly basis. At one point I boarded at the barn that held monthly C shows, and 1 A show, from March/April through October. Very, very convenient. I did each C show, and a few times the A show. My current horse is always getting injured in a major way, so we've not yet done anything above 2'6"

2'9" at the C shows (AA) and 3' at the A show (AA) with my old horse, 2'6" with my current horse (Specials)

My old horse was in no way capable of putting in a 3'3" or higher course. We had no trainer, and I did not feel it was worth the entry fees to compete against all the professionals who were doing any 3' non-Ammy divisions.

My current is still very green and we've only managed a few 2'6" shows inbetween injuries.

Yes - my current horse has the form and jump to do much more, but the question now is whether he'll stay sound at any significant height, and whether I will be able to get the training to do anything bigger than 3'

Old horse was just not physically capable of putting in a 3'3" course. My current horse just doesn't have the miles yet.

I would LOVE to get to the 3'6" A/O

I've always dreamed of having a horse nice enough to do the A/O, even nice enough to do regular AAs at A shows. My current horse IS nice enough to do the A/Os, but soundness might be an issue now.

Mostly answered above. My old horse was very comfy doing 2'9" courses, and since they were literally in our backyard, it was cheap. My current horse is still gaining miles, so our next goal is to get back to 2'6" showing, then 2'9", and see how that goes. I really, really would like to be able to do a few A shows in the AAs at 3'. I'm not holding out much hope at this point that he will stay injury-free long enough to ever dream of anything higher. However, I may breed my mare, and maybe she'll produce my A/O horse :)

Mostly for fun, and competition with myself.

For years and years I didn't have a trainer, therefore never even contemplated showing higher than 3', even if I thought my horse could do it.

Whimsically Smart
May. 7, 2009, 10:01 PM
1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? Mostly A
2. what height do you show? Last year was 2'6 (got a new horse), year before was 3' (and 3'3 medals)
3. why did you pick that height? My horses picked it for me
4. do you want to move up? Most definitely
a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there? A horse capable of jumping the height...
b. if no, why not
5. What is the highest you want to jump? I have Olympic dreams.......
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up? Yes
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet? Because I enjoy showing and just because I can't afford a Junior Hunter doesn't mean I shouldn't be showing.
8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? Both
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). I don't think I've rushed into showing... I am 18 (been showing since I was 14 I think) I just lack quality horses to take me higher.

In all, I agree that maybe cross poles are a little low for A circuit shows, however even experienced riders with green horses enjoy showing.. even at lower levels (ie 2'6) I also can't afford to buy a really nice horse to teach me, my horse and I learn together! :)

Paint Hunter/Jumper
May. 7, 2009, 10:06 PM
- locals to 'A' shows; all are challenging and fun
- generally 2'6 [showing at Devon in locals on a different horse (trainer's sale horse) at 3'3]
- I need to not get nervous at shows so this is a little lower and easier to fix problems
- YES!!!
- Too hard for horse to do rated 3' or higher and nerves don't help either
b. if no, why not
- -------
- As high as I can :) but my goal right now is the 3'
- yes, he doesn't have the motivation to do higher and if I'm even 5% chicken he won't do it
- I love it. Its a way to show what you have learned at home and a way to know what to work on
- Both; sure I like winning, but it's not all about the ribbons
- You need to be able to ride around a course :) The problem for me is just nerves. I just tense up and it's just not good. The two worst falls I have had, one resulted in a broken wrist and I was out for 3 months (in October 2004) and the other fall was a concussion and I was out for 1 1/2 months (in January 2009), both have happened in the show ring and have really crushed my confidence. I can do 3'6 at home, I just get so nervous at shows and then my horse doesn't want to do it either. We tried 3' but that's when I got my concussion.

Heineken
May. 7, 2009, 10:11 PM
I show at AA, A, B and C rated shows. I go where my barn and friends will be, horse shows are both a competition and a chance to see my friends.
I have shown up through the 4'6 jumpers but currently show in the 2'6 and have for the past 5 years.
My old, now retired horse moved down from the 3'6 and then from the 3 ft. Then I had a succession of two greenies who needed to start somewhere. The 2nd greenie is happiest at 2'6 and below so that's where we are.
Yes, that is why he's for sale. I'd like another project that will do the 3 or 3'6.
Money, this horse to be sold and a new one found within my budget.
b. if no, why not
Probably the 3'6 but I'd do big jumpers on the right horse.
Yes, see above
see number 1, I love the competition, seeing what I can do with my little OTTB and spending a weekend with friends, my dog and my horse. It's ideal.
see above
Ummm...I've been showing at the rated and nonrated shows since I was 10. Generally, I still make ammy mistakes to the jumps but I can usually find 6 or 7 pretty well ;)

cnvh
May. 7, 2009, 10:26 PM
We just do the monthly schooling shows at our barn. I don't have the $$ or the gear to do anything else.

We did beginner Eq (18" for the O/F classes) for the last series. This series we're doing Open Eq, 2' and 2'3".

I used to jump 3'6" when I was a kid, then got out of riding for quite a few years. Now I'm 34 and not as brave as I used to be. Also, my horse is a greenie and he's not the greatest conformationally, so I doubt I'd ever ask him to do more than 2'6".

2'6" will be perfectly fine for us, methinks.

b. if no, why not
See #3.

We'll probably move up to 2'6" next season.

Absolutely. He's a "forever horse" for me, and I'd like to keep him sound for as long as possible.

I never showed when I was younger, so doing it now as an adult, I feel like I'm getting to relive my childhood, haha... but I don't feel like I have anything to prove by going higher and higher.

Mostly for fun. Us adult re-riders at our barn are competitive in a friendly sort of way, but it's definitely FUN before anything else.

I'm just starting to get comfortable going over 2' again; it's been a challenge, not jumping ahead, getting back my eye for distance, etc.

Lucassb
May. 7, 2009, 10:26 PM
I'll play...

I don't think there is anger in the real world about riders who show at 3' and below - for one thing, that is the group that keeps most shows in business. You have to take a lot of what you read on the internet/this BB with a grain of salt.

In reality, the folks who show in the adults everywhere I've shown have been a lot of fun and very supportive of each other - and that's been everywhere from local shows in the south to some of the biggest AA shows up here in Zones 1 & 2.

Mostly show at A shows, every once in a while a local. I chose shows based on where my trainer is going, but also based on the facility and the amenities offered - including the quality of the JUDGE. I like the fact that at rated shows, you have stewards looking out for the safety of the horses and a rule book and standards which help assure quality (footing, jumps etc) and a level playing field.
2. what height do you show? 3' adult amateurs & eq
3. why did you pick that height I am a working adult with the typical busy schedule including work and family responsibilities. I find this is a comfortable height for me to compete without getting stressed out or having it be a big deal.
4. do you want to move up? Eventually I'd like to get back to the A/O ring, but I'd have to be able to ride enough to feel confident that I could be very accurate at 3'6" - for all the talk on this BB about how it is so simple, frankly an inaccurate ride at 3'6" can get even a good horse in trouble and a miss is more likely to cause a significant problem or crash. My horse is more than capable of jumping around the bigger track (and we do so at home sometimes) but being competitive at that height is a different story for now.
a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there More saddle time, mostly
b. if no, why not
5. What is the highest you want to jump If I ever had another jumper again, I'd like to do the low A/Os.
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up Nope, I bought one that has more scope than I'll ever use.
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet Jumping around a 3' hunter course offers plenty of challenge, particularly in good company like we have here in Zones 1 & 2. I enjoy having the goals of qualifying for various shows like the New England or our CT finals shows, and find shows to be a nice social venue in addition to offering the opportunity to compete.
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). To be competitive in the adults around here, you have to be able to find 8 good distances, nail your lead changes and have a horse that moves and jumps in good form. There are a lot of very fancy adult hunters showing in this area and the riders are mostly very competent also. The eq is also very competitive and like any other eq division, the adults have to be able to smoothly execute a course that asks some striding questions, ride an accurate track and make it look simple and effortless.

Paint Hunter/Jumper
May. 7, 2009, 10:31 PM
Uh I don't think there's a problem showing under 3'. I do 2'6"-2'9" because my horse is a little older and honestly I get really nervous doing anything over that, even though I've been riding for a long time. I've done AA shows at that level because I like showing. IMO you can be a good rider and not jump high, and you can jump high and not be a good rider.

ditto!

mrsbradbury
May. 7, 2009, 10:32 PM

b. if no, why not

1. This season we are attending unrated "B" quality shows. (Though I have competed at manyy AA shows 3'6" and up.)
2. crossrails this weekend, and non-jumping
3. For myself, my young horse is heading out for the first time, my customers are adult beginners, while confident, new to showing.
4,.Yes, everyone does.
a. Experience for the young horse, and time for the clients.
b. N/A, with the exception of my mother, who may never show in the 3'. She'e nervous, but likes the challenge and the other ladies.
5. Grand Prix, I have shown through the m1.40; but currently have to make my next horse.
6. Depends... my horse is young and unproven... I chose the crossrails this time so we can all be in & out. 2 of the ladies are on mounted on older schoolmasters who competed in high A/O jumpers, and Regular workings'; they're creaky and shouldn't do more than 2'6". The 3rd lady has a 3 year old, it's inapproriate for him to do more than an X.
7. To get dressed up, test our skills, give the young horses exposure... and get off the farm!:)
8.Both... while I like to win, I am happy with a good day.
9. I don't think anyone is rushing, I teach adult beginners. 7 year old kids start at the crossrail and w/t division, and I feel that it's part of the building block. Getting over the nerves and functioning under scrutiny.

DallasES
May. 7, 2009, 11:14 PM
Local B, C shows, doing my first A (in about 8 years) in a couple of months!
2'3, 2'6
Have only been back to riding for about a year
Yes!!!
Trying to get back into the game
Would love to show in A/O's or Regulars
Currently don't have one, I just lease a super nice horse that has the ability to do it, I am just not there yet:) . I will be looking in about 6 months
Practice for the big stuff
Both
Same as the higher levels, make sure you flow well with your horse, find 8 good distances, lead changes, make stride, etc...

Aliascml
May. 7, 2009, 11:15 PM
Schooling and Local
1'6-First Year, 2'0-Second Year
Trainer
Yes
a. If yes, what has stopped you and what do you need to get there
I do not have my own horse, so I ride lesson horses and
They are are in more than one division during a show day.
I also felt comfortable at these heights at the time.
I think 3'0
Yes, I ride lesson horse and they are ridden a lot at shows.
It is fun, I like to show how I have improved and I like the competition.
Fun and Competition
I am working on not getting ahead of the horse.
Steadying him throughout the course.
Getting him to pick up his right lead, he LOVES his left lead.

theroanypony
May. 7, 2009, 11:41 PM
1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? Local, I choose it because that's what I can afford.

2. what height do you show? 2'3" - 2'6"

3. why did you pick that height? It's three inches lower than what we are capable of schooling at this time.

4. do you want to move up? By the end of the year, I would love to be doing 2'9".

a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there? Lead changes would help our performance greatly! Getting correct distances a majority of the time would be nice. Making the strides consistently is another of many reasons.

5. What is the highest you want to jump? 3'6" is my lifelong goal, I'm not interested in going any higher than that. That's not to say I wont, just how I feel right now.

6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up? Yes, he's older and just learning a lot of new things. It's hard to learn new things later in life.

7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet? Because I still want experience. I want to know how my horse is doing now, compared to how we were doing three shows ago.

8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? I show because I enjoy it. It's fun to be there, and that's part of the reason I show, regardless of not showing over 3'.

9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). I think it's the other way around; people rush into jumping higher because they want to show. At my height, you need all the skills you would for any height. At a lower height, it's more forgiving. Throw your horse at a crappy distance? He'll recover since he's not working that hard to lift off the ground.

CTRL ALT DELETE
May. 8, 2009, 03:15 AM
- C/B, random and seldom A. I'm a poor college student and if my parents decide to help me out with shows I don't want them dropping the big bucks on A shows that I know I don't do well in...so I stick to the smaller, more local rated shows.

- I used to do Children's at 3', but I haven't shown in 4+ years, so I'll probably start off doing the Mod. Adults at 2'6".

- I've been riding very inconstantly for the past 3 years, have been out of the show ring for 4+ years, and haven't shown as an adult yet PLUS I don't own or lease a horse so I'm stuck showing schoolies/greenies.

- I would love to be doing the A/A's by the end of the summer. Fat chance, but a girl can dream!

- I don't own a horse, and I haven't even started showing yet. ;) That, and I doubt I'll be able to afford more then 2 shows this summer.

- In a perfect world? I would LOVE to do the 3'6" hunter stuff, but I have a feeling I'll never make it past 3' due to lack of horses and funding.

- LACK of horse! But yes, in the past my Children's horse could not be competitive at higher levels because he gave a little kick out when getting his changes. Plus, he had just entered the hunter world for the first time from the land of western peanut rollers when I bought him at age 12! I think 3'6" stuff would have been asking too much out of him. :) He was good at what he did though.

- Because I absolutely LOVE it. I love the environment and seeing friends from barns of yesteryear.

- Both!

- Same that everyone else has said...You need all the same skills you would at a higher height, but 3' and under is much more forgiving! I'm working on getting my eye back after a 3 year hiatus, so I have a tendency to pick sh**ty spots right now.

BelladonnaLily
May. 8, 2009, 07:41 AM
Maybe this needs its own thread, but my question is why do people even CARE, much less get "angry" if others jump under 3'? :confused:

DMK
May. 8, 2009, 08:33 AM
I was going to say "what Midge said" but I'll put some variations on it:

I have an older horse, he shows pretty much only at rated shows and only at 3'0 and I just wish he was younger and I could show him at 3'6, but it is what it is. Like Midge, I won't pay that kind of $$$$ to show an unrated division at a rated show, when the same jumps and footing is available (in my region at least) at a local show for a lot less $$. So when my youngster starts his o/f work, yep, he's going to be spending a lot of time at 2'6 at local shows. I figure I'll give him a show or two at 2'9 at a rated show just to get him use to the fact that the pro classes generally spread out the oxers to a more normal width at rated shows.

findeight
May. 8, 2009, 08:40 AM
At this point in my life, given my age and the age of my horse, we can do the 2'6" or we can hang up the bridle for good. So those that don't think 2'6" should exsist...I guess they think we should just go away?

Spent a few years in the Adults at 3' but horse's age advancing and I now break instead of bounce.

Have done the 2'6" rated thru AA levels where, around here, it's pretty competitive and has been offered (and well filled) the entire 15 years I have been in the region, as is the 3' Adults. But these days I just attend a few USEF affiliate rated locals. Money mostly. Plus not that competitve minded any more, has to be fun.

clompclomp
May. 8, 2009, 08:56 AM
I would love to move up to 3' from 2'6 but the limiting factor would be $$. I don't own a horse and I can't afford to lease a 3' horse. I am grateful for the opportunities that I have had and I have definitely solidified my riding at 2'6. Am I ready to move up, I think so. Is my wallet? Sadly, no.

mvp
May. 8, 2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the thread.

Carefully-chosen local shows. Most bang for the buck, decent quality footing, courses, etc., it's what I can afford.

3' if I can find it (hard! too bad.) Otherwise the 2'6" or 2'9" they offer. I don't show lower than that because I don't think its a good use of my horse's body and is not fair to less-seasoned competitors.

See above.

Yes! I want to make a horse that will take me around a 3'6" eq course (I'm not sure these "old lady looks good riding 3'6" exist), and which looks damned good doing the Regular Working Hunters. That's 4', people.

$$ entirely. 1) I can't buy the horse or prospect. 2) Not sure I could afford to show it even if I did the whole thing sans trainer (which I'm very happy to try and did with my current horse. 3) I can't afford to feed two and my current horse deserves better than being traded in.

b. if no, why not

Did you get the $$ part? Since I have a career I am (ought to) be building, time might be a tiny issue, too. But I'm willing to just work harder/longer to get where I want to go. It's tough to imagine putting in all the effort when the $$ will forever be the barrier. That's the one aspect of horse showing I wish I could change-- the "don't even try" scenario.

4' (which I did as a kid) is fine, so long as I do it WELL. I'd also like an upper-level dressage horse at some point. If that proves cheaper, I'll jump the H/Eq ship and buy the next one with that goal in mind.

Yes. My horse can do the 3' forever. I would cripple him in a couple of years (and probably scare him along the way) if I demanded a 3'6" career from him. I think its unethical to set up a horse to fail this way. Since I also feel an obligation to this horse, whom I bred, I can't sell him and buy the more capable one. When he's ready to retire I'll make a new plan. In the mean time, I try to perfect what I can at 3'. I'm having a good time doing it, so long as I keep my standards high enough to create a goal.

Because that's what's offered at the shows I can afford. I won't pay triple to show in unrated divisions against 60 horses where many of the riders probably don't have the experience I do. The ribbons are expensive and won in an unsportsmanlike manner.

Absolutely both. Shows are like mid-term exams to me. They show me how I'm really doing in comparison to what I imagine. They keep me aware of the standards I ought to be chasing. I won't jump my horse around where he has no chance. It's not fair to waste his body in a futile pursuit of my ego-driven goal.

I need to pick the right pace for my horse and help him relax into a long stride that lets him canter and jump slowly. I need to always get more tactful, more still, stronger in my legs and core to be able to do my job really well. I also always need to get more accurate so that I can see and adjust to distances farther out. See? There's a lot to do even if you want to do the dinkies! I think many people don't have all this, but the shame is that they don't want to get it. It's tough to get 8 truly perfect fences anywhere.

Hunter Mom
May. 8, 2009, 09:05 AM
1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? Locals, a few A shows each year
2. what height do you show? 2'6" and the occasional 2' jumper course at local jumper days
3. why did you pick that height a) I'm still a relative newcomer to hunters b) my horse is a 2'6" rockstar, but not so much at 3'
4. do you want to move up? With my next horse, yes
a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there A new horse capable of a nice trip at 3' (which in turn means the finances to BUY said new horse
b. if no, why not
5. What is the highest you want to jump I wouldn't be opposed to doing a 3'6" course some day, but realistically 3' is probably going to be where I top out at
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up Definitely, but I knew she was a 2'6" horse when I got her
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet See #6
8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? To me, competition is fun. I also love the whole atmosphere at a show. I enjoy being with my barn peeps and having a good time.
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). I don't know that the skills are different, just not as developed as those who show over bigger fences. I still have to get my horse straight, find a distance, have a release, etc. The difference in smaller divisions is that many horses can jump those heights regardless and will save a rider. At a larger fence, the margin for error is significantly smaller.

BridalBridle
May. 8, 2009, 09:14 AM
After you analyze all the answers there is a common denominator. It's not about the jump....it's about the riding in between the fence. If we could do that right all the time the fence would just come up right for both rider and horse.
If you have a green horse, he just needs to understand the drill, with leads, rhythm, announcer, open stride, compress stride, blowing tents, grass rings, heavy wet rings....and I don't care if it's 6" or 4' it s always the same issues. Once he gets that....he ll be fine for the next height without distractions.
For me the lower jumps are hard to find, but again if I lose the rhythm, ride backwards, don't use my whole ring.....it doesn't matter if it's 6" or 4'.

findeight
May. 8, 2009, 09:39 AM
After you analyze all the answers there is a common denominator. It's not about the jump....it's about the riding in between the fence.

Ummm...no. I don't read that. Still too green/young, too old or with health issues or anything over 2'6" not typically offered seem to be the more common denominators. Along with MONEY for one without those issues or for bigger rated shows to do offer things above 2'6".

GreyHunterHorse
May. 8, 2009, 09:52 AM
I don't really understand why people get so mad over having lower divisions....but here's my answers...

1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? locals as well as AA like Blue Rock/Devon etc.
2. what height do you show? usually 2'6
3. why did you pick that height I have a young green horse and he is learning as am I with him
4. do you want to move up? absolutely...when he is ready
a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there more mileage and him to relax and me to be consistent at 2'6 first
b. if no, why not
5. What is the highest you want to jump 3'6 probably
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up not sure I understand this question
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet as I mentioned horse is young and not ready to move up yet...next year hopefully
8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? both
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). I think you need to learn consistency at the lower heights before you move up, both horse and rider

Tilly
May. 8, 2009, 10:31 AM
Local level [county shows]. I chose it because that's all I can afford.
2'6"
Because I ride a 13.2 hh pony, and because that is my comfort level right now.
Yes!
a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there?
Enough money to be able to afford to get another horse.
5. What is the highest you want to jump?
3'6" would be pretty cool, for me, :lol:
Yes. I have actually dropped out of H/J for her and am now doing dressage with her.
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet?
I do not show anymore [lack of money, time, patience w/ the H/J world in general], but when I was, 2'6" is the level I am comfortable at. I have jumped her over a few 3' singles, but never a whole course.
Combo.
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had?
The same skills as you would need for a round of higher fences :yes:.

diKecnadnuS
May. 8, 2009, 11:00 AM
1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? I used to do A and AA shows almost exclusively. If I show now, which is rarely to never, it is very low level schooling shows or c shows.

2. what height do you show? I used to show 3', but in college did just as much showing at 2'6" as I did 3'. Now, it's usually 2'3" or under depending on the horse.

3. why did you pick that height? I don't own a horse anymore, and I take what I can get. Usually that means riding a friend's horse, etc. In college I didn't own a horse, and showed in whatever the instructors wanted me to - either pre adults (2'6") or adults (3') and that always depended on the horse.

4. do you want to move up? I'd love to move back to the 3', and have always wanted to do the 3'6", but I'll take what I can get - so it's sort of yes and no.

a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there? I prefer the hunters, so I need to own a horse, and financially and career wise I'm not at a place for that right now. I also need to be in a situation where I can ride regularly. I was more than ready to move up to the 3'6" when I was 16, and was planning to start the junior hunters on my old horse (he stayed at home while I was at boarding school), but he died. It then took a lot longer than expected to sell my large pony, and then I went to a college where they do not pound on the horses and a college program really is not the time or place to move up to the 3'6" unless you have your own horse.

b. if no, why not? I'm happy doing below 3' now, because I'm out of shape and I only ride once a week. I dream of having an AO hunter one day, but I know in all seriousness that won't happen for a LOOOOONG time. As an ammy (well, technically a pro, bc I teach up down lessons once a week so I can be near the smell of horses, but my riding level is definitely a rusty amateur. I never felt a difference in jumping a 2' course and a 3'6" course, and I learn just as well over smaller jumps. If it means I get to ride if I stay at a lower level I'm all for it, and I also don't see a point in pounding on a horses legs to move up to the 3'6" if I'm not trying to accomplish show goals.

5. What is the highest you want to jump? Before I die I want to do at least one class of 4' working hunters - I really doubt that will happen, but that's a goal I've always had. The highest I've ever jumped was 4'9", but not a course at that height.

6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up? Yes, my horse died when he and I were both ready for the junior hunters. I had a large pony who had the scope for 3'6" but you can't show ponies in the AO's, and it would be really cruel to move up on a pony and make mistakes at the bigger fence heights and stride length. If I had been a year or two younger I would have been able to move up on a horse owned by my boarding school, but that whole becoming an "adult" thing really put a damper on that.

7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet? I don't feel a difference between a 2' course and a 3'6" course. I'll make the same mistakes at either height, and showing below 3' opens my options for horses to show. There's always something you can work on over lower jumps, heck, even a course of poles, and it is nice to go into a ring with the big flowers and boxes and see if you can still "do it" in the show ring. I focus on putting in consistent trips, and it's fun to get dressed up again and really show off your 1.5-2 mins in the ring. There's always something you can work on at ANY height.

8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? Used to be for competition, now is for fun. I'm a very competitive person, but I want showing to be fun, and I don't have the money needed to really show competitively. Oh the joys of your first job out of college, and stupid salary freezes.

9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). I had a lot of holes in MY riding when I bought my SUPER GREEN large pony. It took about 7 months to get him and I ready for the 3', and we spent 2-3 years where every few shows we'd step back down to the 2'6", because usually I needed to fix some problems and he was being good, but sometimes to get both of our confidence levels up again. For me personally, I don't need to jump much, and I ride best when I don't jump a lot. In fact, when I was showing competitively I would not jump at all (unless on a trail ride) between lessons. I'd do courses of poles, and every now and then if I were lucky maybe a few cross rails, but that was rare. I made my mistakes in the warm up ring, or the schooling division the day before the show, and a few jumps over lower heights, but my jumping was VERY limited.

Right now, I've started riding again and am only riding once a week at a lesson barn. The barn is almost entirely barn owned lesson horses, and the levels of riding and jumping are lower than I've ever done before. But, there is still something to learn. I hadn't ridden in 3 years, and I need to get back in shape, but I've noticed that I have regressed to habits I had 10 years ago, and I'd like to fix these in very basic lessons where I can really focus on my position and not the horse. To get back to my old riding level I need to ride consistently, and once a week doesn't count. I need to practice jumping and get to the point where a 3' or 3'6" jump looks regular again, and not big. I never thought the day would come when I thought 3' looked big, but let me tell you, not riding does that to you! haha.

MissKatie
May. 8, 2009, 11:07 AM
My horse is coming back from time off and he is not ready to go higher. When he is, we will!

JumpWithPanache
May. 8, 2009, 11:15 AM
1. What is the rating of the shows you go to? Why did you choose that rating?
Currently showing at local level with plans to do two or three A’s this year and qualify for association finals. I’ve chosen these shows based on quality of facilities, location, and cost. Local tends to be more affordable for me. I also don’t want to spend the big bucks on big shows until I’ve put more mileage on myself and my horse.

2. What height do you show?
I show at the 2’6 or 2’9, school at the 3’ on occasion.

3. Why did you pick that height?
I show at those heights because that is what is fair to both my horse at her level of training and for me. Spent five+ years riding chasers and fox hunters so my “ring-riding” ability needs some serious tune-up and I have not found a coach I’ve liked until recently.

4. Do you want to move up?
Absolutely! I hope to make the move to 3’ later this season and be ready to do the 3’6 for next season.

I jumped coops, fence lines, national fences, and timber fences in my previous life so jumping higher isn’t the issue necessarily. Doing it accurately and correctly is where I’ve gotten rusty. Did it as a teen, but that’s been a long time now. I also haven’t had a horse to move up with yet. Been riding greenies since my x-country days and finally broke down to buy my first horse (after 15 years). So I’ve always been limited to what client horses or friend’s horses have been available.

b. If no, why not?
Sometimes I wonder if it’s even worth it to try to move up though. Unless I can find a way to not work but still have money for the big dollar horses/shows I may always be stuck showing right around the 3’ level. It’s an unfortunate truth I think for the average working family.

I would really like to do the Low A/O jumpers or do some Hunter Derbies. Not sure I’ll be able to afford that horse though.

6. Has your horse affected your reasons to move up?
Most certainly. Lack of horse and lack of money are the biggest issues. I think the current horse could be competitive as a 3’ – 3’6 Eq horse one day in the future. Haven't moved up for horse reasons because she is green.

7. Why do you show if you only show below 3 feet?
The most common divisions at local shows are 3’ and below, so I do what’s offered. Plus I know that I need the mileage and tune-ups before I’m ready to ride correctly at that level again, thus it isn’t fair to my young (or to a seasoned pro) to put them into a situation where they have to save my butt over anything significant. Doing the 2’6 takes out some of the personal and peer pressure often assigned, even subconsciously, to the *amazing* and *oh so important* 3’ division.

Definitely both. My primary goal is to see if my horse and I can take what we do at home and do it as well being away from home. Most often the answer is no; until the answer is yes, we won’t move up. It’s a great time to catch up with friends from other barns also and see how they’ve improved. I like to see how I stack up to the competition and at what level. If I can start winning/doing well next to the nice local horses who do the occasional A then I know I won’t be out of place going to an A.

I know that I need to find my distances again for a “show” jump rather than a “chase” jump. Two different things and I think it’s one of the bigger things holding me back. The other is not having a coach to remind me of what I need to be working to correct and how to correct it (PS thanks to those who took the time to watch my video and respond… VERY helpful :yes:)

rabicon
May. 8, 2009, 12:41 PM
I use to show hunters a local no rating shows and also at C shows now I show GDCTA rated shows which is combined training.

2. what height do you show? 2'3 now

3. why did you pick that height? I started this horse at 18" in hunters and made it up to 2' before we started combined training and dressage. I had to start back at 18" in c/ts because my horse couldn't properly do a canter dressage test and w/t test go with 18"-2' jumps. Now we show 2'3 because we went up a level because his canter is better but not great and we can do an easy w/t/c test.
4. do you want to move up? Yea, but my guy doesn't have the scope to go much higher than 3' so when he tops out we'll do it for fun and stick to dressage.
a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there? Horse was not ready.
5. What is the highest you want to jump? I have jumped up to 4' previously but this horse is not able to. I'll be happy at 3'
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up? yes
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet? Because I can and its fun and the classes are there for a reason. I help support these shows and others that show in these classes, if you take those classes out at small rated shows they would not be able to afford to keep the show going.
8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? both
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). I think I am pretty good with 2'3 but my horse is a big chicken also and still gets a little nervous at times. So he needs to be brought to higher jumps gradually at shows.

RugBug
May. 8, 2009, 12:48 PM
1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? I don't show rated...well, maybe a 'C' here or there but I just dont' want to spend that kind of money so I stay with local one day stuff.

2. what height do you show? Right now, 2'6" or 2'9"

3. why did you pick that height It's where I'm at right now. I'm schooling some 3' at home

4. do you want to move up? Yep

a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there I have never had the horse. Growing up I never had my own horse and had to take what was offered. I rode old or young or not-so-sound, etc. I rode a horse for four years that wouldn't stay sound jumping even crossrails. That hampered my learning some. I bought my first horse when I was 30, but he was green. We got up to 2'6" together and then I had an injury that took about a year to recover from. The next year was getting my confidence back and a move to 2'9". Then horse got injured. Current horse I'm riding can do 3' sparingly...but it's hard on his old bones so he can't do it enough to get me comfortable with.

5. What is the highest you want to jump Don't know. Before I bought my horse, I thought 2'6" was high. He jumps 3' so easily that I'm open to doing whatever the horse I have can do.

6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up It is the main reason

7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet I love to show. The local assocation doesn't even hvae hunter classes above 2'9", so if I start doing 3', I'm going to have to look elsewhere

8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? both. I love to compete and I think shows are incredibly fun

9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). I think I'm fairly competent. I've obviously not rushed into anything. I had to pay for showing myself as a kid, so I literally only showed 8-9 times. I have my issues just like everyone, but I'm not scary. I'm middle of the pack skills wise, better than some, worse than others. Unfortunately, my talented but temperamental horse has shot my confidence and I'm looking for something not quite so difficult to teach me the ropes of 3' up...but my budget is itsy-bitsy.

Madison
May. 8, 2009, 01:01 PM
Before I retired my horse due to injury, we had come up through local show circuit in my area doing the 2'6/2'9" with a trainer who did more locals than A's and had just started doing the 3' A/A's at the A shows. I then switched to a barn that did primarily A shows and showed a lease horse in the 2'6" A-show pre-adults before going on riding hiatus due to work schedule issues.

I would be thrilled and delighted just to be able to get back to showing in the 2'6" because it would mean I was actually getting to ride again. If I was able to ride often enough to get back to the A/A's, even better, but IMO there are plenty of things you can work on at 2'6" to improve your riding and the little details. I know I won't ever get the saddle time needed to be consistently accurate enough at 3'6", and I'm fine with that. I would largely choose to show at the A's with a schooling show thrown in here and there for several reasons, even at 2'6" -- first, the type of trainer's program and facility that I would want at this point is almost certainly going to do predominantly the A's; second, I would have limited time to show, so I'd want it to be a good experience and from what I can tell the local shows in this area have declined in quality; third, I like the facilities and better ring/course maintenance at the A's; and fourth, I really like getting to watch some of the upper level classes and riders that you see at the A's. Showing for me is a fun getaway weekend with my horse, a way to test my absorption of what I'm supposed to be learning in training, and a goal to work toward, so from that perspective I fail to see what difference the fence height makes or why anyone else should care what level I'm doing (and despite the rampant comments we see on the BB, I suspect most of the people at the shows don't actually care). Everyone has different goals and different circumstances, so I very much have a you do your thing, I'll do mine approach.

kimball1
May. 8, 2009, 01:15 PM
b. if no, why not
3. Because I got started jumping when I was 35 (4 years ag) and this is what I am comfortable with. I didn't do this as a junior. I also have a young horse my trainer will be doing at 3' and I will be doing at 2'6, then she will be at 3'6 and I will do at 3'.
4. Maybe
a.Time to practice, (I work FT), more experience and a better eye. I fully understand the consequences of missing your spot at 3'6 are alot bigger than 2'5
5. 3'6
6. Not at all, I spent good money on a horse that can go from anywhere at 3' and is forgiving at 3'6 so that it would be easier for me to learn and move up
7. I love to compete, and showing motivates me to work harder and ride more. I like having a goal to shoot for.
8. Both
9. I like to pick, pick pick to the fence when I don't see it.

I have no idea why anyone would object to a 2'6 division. or even long stirrup. It brings people to the shows. Shows need to make money, and the 40 horses in the 2'6 division with no prize money funds them! I paid less than 15K for more first hunter. I never thought I would ever jump bigger than 2'6. Then I went to Vermont and Ocala and did the modifieds and decided I wanted to do more, so we went horse shopping, and I started doing alot more shows. If I had only had the opportunity to do "local" shows I probably would not have been compelled to buy the horses I did. Besides, going from a local show to an AA show is a little overwhelming. It's nice to get your feet wet in a lower division. No one wakes up one day and decided to buy a 50K horse and spend 40K a year showing. If the modifieds get people interested in spending money in the hunter jumper world, EVERYONE should support that division.

younghunter
May. 8, 2009, 01:21 PM

b. if no, why not

1. I do the unrated "local" shows, a 3-hour haul for me. Only other options are 2-hrs. to "AA" shows. Not ready for the AA's yet.
2. 2'6" hunters
3. Young horse, just moved up to that height
4. Yes, eventually I would love to move up to 3' +
5. 3'6" would definitely be my limit height wise.
6. Horse is not ready to move up...just now adding the flying lead change, gets playful if the distance is too long.
7. Horse needs the mileage, I enjoy showing.
8. Both competition and fun. More to compete with myself. I know I won't place if we are still doing a simple change, but I can still work on the rest of the course.
9. Problems: bad distances, kicking out in the lead change, running off in the hack. Just need some time to work out all the kinks. Very happy showing here...small community of people, friendly and affordable, series awards. I don't see a lot of reason to move up to rated shows, no C or B rated nearby.

3DogNight
May. 8, 2009, 01:26 PM
Maybe this needs its own thread, but my question is why do people even CARE, much less get "angry" if others jump under 3'? :confused:

I tend to agree with this sentiment. Due to numerous back surgeries (four in the last 6 1/2 years) I can't even ride at this point, let alone show. I would love to say that in 6 months I'll be miraculously healed and able to compete in the level 6 jumpers, but it ain't going to happen. I have an 8" rod and screws in my lower back - I'll be lucky if I'm able to get on again, and if I make it back to the show ring in a 2'3" or 2'6" division, I'll be more than thrilled (and it certainly would be for fun - I'm past being competitive at this point in my life). My horse continues to show every summer, usually by someone within the barn who needs a ride, but she is also 6 1/2 older than she was when I had to stop riding. At 18, she's still doing great at 3' and looks forward to getting on the trailer to head off to a show. I would hate to think that due to physical limitations, I would be looked down upon because I had to drop down from showing 3'3" - 3'6" to 2'3". What anyone chooses to do is between their trainer and themselves - no one should have to explain their division choices to anyone, as long as they are following the rules which apply to the shows they are attending.

AppendixQHLover
May. 8, 2009, 01:37 PM
Locals right now, and some low-rated.

I do that level because that is what I can do with taking time off from work and my wallet. I am trying to get bills paid off right now and horse shows are not one of the required expenses

I am almost embarassed to say that we do 18". I am comfortable showing that and confident at that height right now. I am schooling over higher but not comfortable enough to do it at shows.

Confidence level

Yes I do want to move up but it is a matter of getting my confidence level up enough that I remember to breathe over the fences, and not get in my horse's way.

I am a bit of a chicken. I jumped a lot growing up but had a few fun falls in that process. I never learned the proper way of going over fences so that set a fear in me. Also my old horse had a bolting problem.

b. if no, why not
3"6-3"9. IF I get there great, if I don't I am not going to stop riding.

Not right now. He is maxed out at about 2"6 because of back reasons.

Because I can show, and doing flat classes can be just as much of a challenge at times. We do pattern classes, and some dressage show. It is very easy to forget a equitation patter on the flat.

Mostly for fun

9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems
Breathing is a pluss which is what I forget to do, and I goose my horse over the fences.

have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing).

No I think some people are like me. They just like to show and don't want to sit it out because they are not ready for the higher levels. Why should I stay home if I can't show 3 ft. My money is as good as anyone else's.

kdriding
May. 8, 2009, 03:09 PM
I am doing this for my 12 yr old daughter:

1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating?She does local and some "A" and "AA" shows

2. what height do you show?She is currently doing 2'6

3. why did you pick that heightIt is what she is ready for after her riding accident last year

4. do you want to move up? She wants to do at least the children's for a couple of years. Maybe higher if she does well there

a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get thereShe had a serious riding accident last year and took most of the year off. She now has a wonderful new horse that is giving her her confidence back and teaching her the in's and out's of jumping bigger fences.

b. if no, why not

5. What is the highest you want to jumpShe would like to do at least 3'3

6. has your horse affected your reasons to move upAs of right now no. He should be able to do at least 3'3, but he is 18hh and has some good size to him. We won't push him to the point we think he will break. So, maybe at some point he will be the reason, but not now.

7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feetBecause I can afford for her to do it. I didn't get to do a ton as a kid, so I work darn hard with multiple jobs to make sure she can go to a very nice selection of both local and rated shows. I think it is very important for her to experience the big shows if she is going to be competitive. Spending time at the bigger shows like VSF lets her see first hand what it takes to be successful at that level. When we come home from our bigger shows, we both have fresh perspective on what we need to do with our program

8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo?Both

9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing)She needs to get her confidence back. She also needs to learn how to flat her big horse effectively in order to do better over her fences. So far, they are way beyond where anyone thought they would be right now.

I took her to VSF to do the Short Stirrups, and you know what, we never got the cold shoulder from anyone. If they had a problem with us "little people" being there, they never let it show. That is a true Professional. They know how the bread is buttered no matter how big or small they are.

Have a great show season everyone!:D

goeslikestink
May. 8, 2009, 04:28 PM

b. if no, why not

most people do only jump to 3.3 average is 2ft 9

becuase thats there limit its not the horses limit though

indygirl2560
May. 8, 2009, 07:10 PM
I've only been to B and schooling mostly because of financial reasons

It depends on the horse but usually around 2'9

Well, I school 3'3 at home but the pony I show can only do up to 2'9

very much so!
I need a competitive horse that can jump higher at shows

4ft-4'3

yes
I don't have a competitive higher jumping horse

both

9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). I think people show in the lower levels a)to learn what showing is about while still being able to save money or b)because the have a horse that can only do lower level stuff and they still want to show. I think you need basic-intermediate skills to ride at my height because 2'9-3ft isn't high so you can afford to make mistakes you couldn't at higher levels but I still think you need to be a competent rider to do well...

babygreenqueen
May. 8, 2009, 07:56 PM

1. what is the rating of the shows you go to?..... schooling to AA why did you chose that rating? ......we go with trainer and barnmates to regular shows, schooling on my own
2. what height do you show?.....2 foot up to 2'6 depends on horse
3. why did you pick that height....... depends on greeness and my mental ability with particular horse, along with my age slightly shy of 60.....but i am in denial of that LOL
4. do you want to move up?......possibly but realize body cant go back to jr hunter years in the 60s
b. if no, why not ?...... dont keep horses long enough to enjoy the made years, prefer youngsters starting out groundwork, flatwork etc
5. What is the highest you want to jump....... 2'6 to 3'
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up....... sometimes
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet.....fun first time shows for youngsters etc gain confidence
8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo?....both
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? ......patience and ability to laugh at self (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing).
perhaps some do, myself included but too much fun and adventure to stay at home

Flash44
May. 8, 2009, 09:58 PM
I have not had a lesson since the summer of 2007. I have my horse at home with 3 very plain jumps in a teeny tiny ring. Can't even set up a line. The only time we ever see show jumps or related distances is at a show, so we did 2'6 last year and if I go to any shows this year, it will probably be 2'6! When I was getting to lessons a couple times a month and showing more regularly, we did 3'. So I actually moved down, due to lack of practice. I don't really care a whole lot any more about showing competitively, been there done that, it will still be the same if I ever want to go back...

khailee
May. 9, 2009, 12:10 AM
1. A- that's where my barn is going
2. Depends how good we get before we have to turn in our show applications :D
3. My horse is green, and I don't want to push her or me.
4. Um, yes!
a. My new horse is very green, and we're just getting to the point where we can get around consistently and safely, and I want to desensitize her to the show experience, so we can really compete (higher) next year.
5. Eventually... Grand Prix. But doesn't everyone?
6. Just because she's very green.
7. See 4a.
8. Both. I like to have goals, but I really just think it's fun.

Green Acres
May. 9, 2009, 10:59 AM
1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? Local / Schooling shows
2. what height do you show? Currently 2'
3. why did you pick that height. Green Horse
a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there. Green horse needs mileage, lead changes, consistency at 2'.
b. if no, why not
5. What is the highest you want to jump. 3' but I will settle at 2'9"
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up. See 4.
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet. For fun, learning & experience. Local show series has y.e. points, too.
9. What kind of skills do you need to ride at your height or what problems have you had? (do people show in the lower levels because they rush into showing). I need more patience, don't rush things, see distances again and striding again. Horse just needs consistent courses and his lead changes.

I also stick with 2' at this time as I work full time, keep green horse at home and trailer in for lessons two times a month.

Brooke
May. 9, 2009, 12:11 PM
I show occassionally at local shows.
I'm jumping around at 2'-2'6"
Why at that height? Because while I continued to ride some, I hadn't jumped for 30 years and I can't see a distance any more to save my life (which my horse has to do regularly!)
I'd like to move up if only for "pride" ( used to show at A shows, green hunters, open 4' hunters, and open jumpers) but probably won't.
The biggest thing holding me back is probably because I keep my horse at home and my ring is not big enough to set real lines. So I've lost my ability to either see a distance or feel a good pace. If I could get my pace, I know I'd get my distances.
And I can't really afford regular lessons or training. So I"ll continue to show a little, just for fun (although I'm a very competetive person) and try to be satisfied with that.

AliCat
May. 9, 2009, 05:50 PM
I show at whatever is going on at the barn. So far I have only done a schooling but they host up to "A".

2', but school higher (2'6-3')

I am a nervous rider who had not been in the show ring in 10 years. I took 5 years off from riding. I also prefer hunters to jumpers because I can't remember a jump off to save my life. My trainer chose that division after we realized I have a mental block with jumper courses.

I will as soon as I master the show routine I have been out of for so long.

I need to feel that I have really done my entry level classes to the best of my ability before I move up without feeling nervous.

b. if no, why not
My trainer initially had me in a different division, I wanted more basic.

I don't decide how high, I just go over the jumps they build.

I ride school horses. I don't want to push them beyond what the owner is comfortable with.

I can't afford my own horse, but I am able to participate in lovely on premises shows that are very budget friendly. I am thankful to be riding at a place that offers those opportunities, and will do whatever is appropriate for myself and the horse.

I do it for fun, but who doesn't like blue ribbons?

The skill level is not very high, but I battle nerves and problems with pace. I refuse to spend more money to enter in the bigger divisions just to get nervy. I will move up when I feel confident.

snarkey
May. 10, 2009, 08:11 PM
Greenie, what more can you say. I dont think anger is in the air its good for everyone. Owners get to show and trainers get to show them. The shows have more money, what could be wrong with that?

alibi_18
May. 11, 2009, 01:01 AM

Personnaly, I don't see where the 'anger' comes from. The riders that are riding below 3' or the riders showing over that? And what good reason should we give you to do so?

If those classes are offered, it's probably because there is a need for them...or at least someone asked for it. What is the problem with it? In dressage there is walk/trot classes and no one is angry about it...
In Xcountry young horses have to start at entry levels...
Showing is not just about doing bigger...is also about doing better...

mvp
May. 11, 2009, 07:40 AM
snarkey and alibi_18.

You can read the very long thread on X-rails at a rated show to get some idea about why people have their panties in a wad about bringing the dinky divisions to the rated (and expensive!) shows. There are some good reasons to do that-- inviting people into the sport, helping trainers who can only be in one place at a time, and $ for show managers. There are some bad reasons for doing that-- no incentive to produce better horses and riders, raising the price of entry for even beginning riders who will lose the opportunity to get their feet wet at less expensive local shows.

There is a great deal to think about, believe it or not.

Mtn trails
May. 11, 2009, 03:37 PM
1. what is the rating of the shows you go to? why did you chose that rating? I've shown at A shows but mostly schooling
2. what height do you show? 2'6"
3. why did you pick that height It's what my horse and I are comfortable with right now.
4. do you want to move up? Sure, why not
a. If yes what has stopped you and what do you need to get there. See #3.
b. if no, why not see #3
5. What is the highest you want to jump 3'3"
6. has your horse affected your reasons to move up yes and no
7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet - I think this is insulting and choose not to answer. You're implying that only people who jump 3+ feet should show. Not all people desire to do the higher jumps but still like the competition.
8. Do you show for fun or for competition/combo? both.

FarnleyGarnet
May. 11, 2009, 04:16 PM
I just started showing again after a 4 year break. I'm doing the local (VHSA Associate) shows in an area with a lot of good competition.

2. what height do you show? Currently 2'6"

My best friend graciously offered me her personal horse to show. She happens to be a pro and this is her horse's first time playing "ammy packer". He's a complicated ride and my mistakes annoy him less when the fences are lower. Plus he does a division with her in the irons before I get on. I'm just grateful to have a horse to show and I'll ride at whatever height she says is best for her horse.

Of course. I'll move back up to 3' or 3'6" when can consistently ride more than a handful of times a month and my muscles are strong enough to really keep a horse between my leg and hand around a bigger course.

Lack of money and lack of time to ride are the reasons I show at 2'6". I work long hours and the mare I can hack around (for free) is a good hour and half away from my work with traffic. As much as I want to I can't ride every night. I'm not lessoning right now because I can't afford the good trainers in the DC area who offer both an indoor ring for evening lessons AND a quality horse capable of jumping courses higher than 2'6" in said lesson. Instead I battle traffic for 4 hours one or 2 Fridays a month and drive to see my best friend who invites me to be a part of her barn for a much more affordable price. I'm just happy to have a chance to ride and show for the time being.

I keep telling my husband that I want an A/O horse when we're making lots of money one day. If that doesn't work out I may decide to try the jumpers instead or find fancy prospects to bring along. I will show something at 3'6"-4' at some point in my life though! :)

Yes. Horse can and does the 3'6" with his pro owner quite well. He has the scope but he doesn't have the patience to put up with weak leg and he definitely won't be forgiving if I get him to a fence wrong. 2'6" is a good height for me to keep him going happy and him to learn to deal with a less than pro rider.

7. why do you show if you only show below 3 feet?
Because it's fun! When I did the A's I showed myself what I could do as a truly decidated rider. Now I get to show myself what I can still do despite very limited time in the saddle. Horse is still groomed to the nines, tack is just as clean, boots just as polished... I'm having fun and I'm jumping a height that is SAFE for me and my horse.

I'm a competitive person by nature so I'm always trying to put in the best trip... but I'm not out chasing points. I'm showing because I went 4 years without and hated it.

I'm almost 27 (oh god another year!) and have been riding since I was 7. Although I'm lucky if I ride once or twice a week I feel that I've still retained all of the knowledge from years in the tack. The problem is that my mind will try to do something and my body just can't. I just don't have the muscle I used to. I recently had to take a week unpaid at work and spent the whole time at the barn riding 2-3 horses a day. I felt I made huge progress by the end of the week. But now it's 3 weeks later and I've sat on a horse once.

2'6" is no biggie for me. I did well riding strange horses over 2'6" in IHSA during college. In better days I cantered down to 3'6" just fine. I don't turn into a ball of nerves at the in gate. 2'6" is safe for me and I know it. I miss at 2'6" because my body gets tired and I allow a right drift or don't support with leg to the base as much as I should. If I did 3' I'd have the same issues with my body but they'd be more dramatic over the larger fences (and my horse would be more animated when letting me know he's annoyed. :eek:)

As for skills... you don't need that many to get around a 2'6" course. Keep a good pace and keep your body still over the fences. It gets harder if your body is weak (lack of time in the saddle), if your horse is not a packer (straightness issues, greenie, schoolie who hates corners, horse with scope that eats the lines) and if the rider's brain malfunctions (nerves, lack of sleep, stress, hangover... whatever). But the only way to get better at showing is to show and people need to start somewhere.

superpony123
May. 13, 2009, 11:09 PM

I go to local unrated shows in the winter and early spring (think jan-april) and A/AA's throughout spring and summer. I prefer something close to home as well as affordable during the winter time, where i don't want the hassle of an A show. A shows are only fun for me when it's warm! :lol:

2'6" - children's large pony hunters, but ive also shown in 3' ponies once

currently this is what my pony and i are most comfortable with at shows

of course!

technically, i could walk into the ring tomorrow and show at 3'. my trainer thinks i should dip my feet in jumpers and start at level 1 :lol: .. he is very confident in me. me? i'm not that brave! i'm brave, but i seem to be less brave at a show.

b. if no, why not

at a show, i'd like to eventually (far off future) show in the 4' working hunters
but at home i've jumped 3'9" (on my pony! it's a wonder i dont move up)

if i make a mistake at 3', it will usually end up having a much larger impact than at 2'6''.. i mean, it's like that with everything, but i find that i lose confidence at shows, and i happen to be very brave at home. unless i'm having a great fearless day, i'm probably going to be wary of myself and make some mistakes. not for nothing, but i'm not paying the big dollars to go to big shows only (they dont have the 3' pony hunters at anything other than A shows, here) and only to end up screwing up a whole lot

why not? the divisions under 3' are plenty worthy. the pony hunters and children's ponies are extremely competitive.

both

you see all sorts at 2'6''--it varies between divisions and the type of show youre at. i'd say the children's lrg pony riders are generally better riders than the 2'6'' pre childrens horses. the children's hunter/eq courses, while still hunter courses, are generally a litte trickier than a pre childrens course, and the judging itself is more demanding.