PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for my *triumphant* return to the eq ring - Question

Parker_Rider
May. 7, 2009, 05:11 PM
I have not shown in the eq ring since I was 13 years old (aka... a decade ago).
Sooo I can't remember the particulars of dress.. obviously a navy coat, but do I need a solid white shirt for every class? I'm doing the M&S Adult Medal, the Ariat medal and a local CHJA medal over 3 days.

Ahhh, can't believe I"m going back there, but my mare can't do the jumpers anymore (we're treating her like she's glass), and she's not *fancy* enough to do the hunters. It's going to be HILARIOUS starting tomorrow at the Colorado Spring Preview...

horsestablereview
May. 7, 2009, 05:17 PM
Good luck at the show!

For regular eq classes, just avoid anything too flashy. I usually only wore a white shirt if I was at a medal final or my one or two other shirts were dirty. Navy coat is fine, I even sometimes like dark grey in the eq or dark brown if it fits the horse/rider. As long as you're clean and neat (no fuschia shirts and please God no rust breeches ;) ) you should be fine.

Giddy-up
May. 7, 2009, 05:19 PM
I wear my regular shirts. They are fairly conservative colored anyways (white with a stripe). I only break out the all white for the year end Finals. I figure the less I wear it, the less chance to ruin it, the longer it will last me. :winkgrin:

Have fun! And remember, slow roll backs. :lol:

HunterJumper106
May. 7, 2009, 05:35 PM
Navy coat is perfect. Tan breeches--I'm sure you already know that. And a conservative shirt--white is obviously classic but you can do a light blue, a light pink, or a light yellow (if they fit horse/rider) and you will be perfectly fine. Good Luck!

showmom858
May. 7, 2009, 06:12 PM
Like everyone here has said it is best to stay conservative. My D wears the classic dark navy coat with white, very pale blue or very pale yellow shirts.

Parker_Rider
May. 7, 2009, 06:17 PM
I'll try to leave my sequins at home ;) Thanks for the input on my wardrobe, I just wanted to make sure my white striped shirt was ok, and my blue one (especially since the blue one goes oh so nicely with the jacket I'm wearing on my jumper ;))

Now... HOW do I ride in the eq? ;) :lol:

Pirateer
May. 7, 2009, 06:46 PM
You can also get away with a dark grey coat in the eq :)

IsolaBella09
May. 7, 2009, 07:06 PM
Navy coat, white shirt, though blue should be fine, shiny, polished black boots, helmet, black gloves, black or brown belt, black or brown crop, spurs if needed, hunter hair.

shmon
May. 7, 2009, 07:31 PM
Have fun! Are you going for all 3 weeks? When do the adult medals run? I might be visiting this weekend and will keep an eye out!

Parker_Rider
May. 7, 2009, 07:34 PM
Have fun! Are you going for all 3 weeks? When do the adult medals run? I might be visiting this weekend and will keep an eye out!

I'll be showing my jumper all 3 weeks, and the mare weeks 1 and 3. The medals all seem to be mid-day, Friday - Sunday so pretty much a crap shoot when it'll go. If you happen to head down this way, just look for the older trainer lady at Hunter 2 with her head down and hands over her eyes, shaking her head ;)

horsestablereview
May. 7, 2009, 08:11 PM
Now... HOW do I ride in the eq? ;) :lol:

Sit still and sit pretty! It always feels worse than it looks so try not to give away the fact that you're working your a** off to keep your horse steady and collected. Try to stay in a canter and jump over the fences in the order and direction they're posted on the board outside the ring. Avoid jumping oxers backwards. Oh and another big one, keep the horse between you and the ground...generally you don't get judge so well if you jump the course alone. ;)

Good luck!

Parker_Rider
May. 8, 2009, 01:11 AM
Sit still and sit pretty! It always feels worse than it looks so try not to give away the fact that you're working your a** off to keep your horse steady and collected. Try to stay in a canter and jump over the fences in the order and direction they're posted on the board outside the ring. Avoid jumping oxers backwards. Oh and another big one, keep the horse between you and the ground...generally you don't get judge so well if you jump the course alone. ;)

Good luck!

Are you my trainer? How did you know I always forget the basics?! ;) :lol::lol::lol: Love the advice!! :)