PDA

View Full Version : Pessoa GenX

ksetrider
May. 6, 2009, 04:28 PM
My horse needs a new saddle due to change in his back (age). I'm eyeing a Pessoa GenX. Of the saddles I've tried, it fits my horse the best. Anyone have one that can give me reviews on its performance, quality, etc...

Wizard of Oz's
May. 6, 2009, 04:45 PM
Don't get it! I got one for my birthday a year and a half ago, and have regretted it ever since. It fits my horse and me, but as you may have heard, the newer pessoas are not nearly as good as the old ones. I've taken excellent care of mine, and it looks like it's been used on multiple horses for many years. There are many other saddles in the same price range that are much better quality. :no:

chawley
May. 6, 2009, 05:22 PM
I have owned Pessoas - both the newer and older models - and they all have been very good saddles. If it fits your horse, your budget, and you, then I wouldn't have a problem buying one.

Do a search for Pessoas on here and you'll find that PROTACKGUY has provided very in-depth information on the manufacturing of old and new Pessoas.

Edited to add that I just sold one that was a 2000-02 model, assumed to be made in Argentina, and it was one of the best saddles I've ever owned or rode in. The leather was gorgeous and the quality was outstanding.

Long Spot
May. 6, 2009, 05:30 PM
I have an older one that I adore. It's been a great saddle and has held up well. It's a medium tree and fits almost everything I put it on.

However, I have had two clients in the past few years get new ones, and they are not even close to the one I have and love. Neither of those new ones are ridden in. They are collecting dust, as resale hasn't proven great either.

I hate to say it because I love mine so, but unless you can find one that's at least 7 years old and has had great care, I'd advise against it and go with something else.

hideyourheart03
May. 6, 2009, 06:23 PM
I got mine in '03 and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with it. I don't take the best care of it, so I did have to get the knee patchs replaced, but other than that, it's been perfect. I don't know when they changed the manufacturing though...

I love my saddle. Like Long Spot said, the medium tree fits just about everything well and it really puts me in a good spot position-wise.

kmsf
May. 6, 2009, 09:27 PM
Daughter has one that is 1 and 1/2 years old, so one of the newer models. She has loved it from the first time she tried it. She rides 2-3 times a week, and it is holding up very well. Did not need any breaking in and doesn't need much oiling.

chawley
May. 7, 2009, 11:40 AM
I got mine in '03 and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with it. I don't take the best care of it, so I did have to get the knee patchs replaced, but other than that, it's been perfect. I don't know when they changed the manufacturing though...

I love my saddle. Like Long Spot said, the medium tree fits just about everything well and it really puts me in a good spot position-wise.

According to PROTACKGUY, the Gen X was never made in Europe, either was the pony saddle. Both were always made in Argentina.

Hunter Mom
May. 7, 2009, 12:38 PM
Check http://www.horsetackreview.com

Personal Champ
May. 7, 2009, 12:40 PM
I got one in 2000, used the hell out of it for 5 years, sold it to a junior who continues to use the hell out of it. Looks like brand new. Love that saddle. I outgrew it in the leg.

I now have a Pessoa Millenium. Love that too. Morbidly, my students argue over who gets it when I die, as I am extremely accident prone, LOL.

Lou-Lou
May. 7, 2009, 01:07 PM
I would get a used one. I think all the new ones have a changeable gullet system. (unless that's what you want, of course) :)

chawley
May. 7, 2009, 03:22 PM
I would get a used one. I think all the new ones have a changeable gullet system. (unless that's what you want, of course) :)

I don't believe that is the case with the Gen X - might want to contact a tack shop and speak w/ someone that carries the brand. Again, do a search on Pessoas - there is a recent thread that wil provide you the full history of the brand from the 60s through now.

Edited to say that it appears the brand new Gen X models do have changeable gullets. Sorry for the confusion.

caradino
May. 8, 2009, 10:00 AM
i have one, and i love it. i bought it used about.. 3 years ago? i haven't had any issues at all with the quality and durability of the leather or construction.

if it fits and you like it, go for it!

2horseowner
May. 8, 2009, 01:37 PM
Got a great deal on mine because it got sprinkled on at a show and had water spots on it! It fits my high withered tb nicely, but it would not do for my wbx. I think the gullet is too narrow for his back. It is a simple saddle that puts me in great balance. It has been fine even though it's made in Argentina. If you like it, get it!

Across Sicily
May. 10, 2009, 09:10 PM
I used to own one and sold it when I got a new horse - it was just too wide for him (he's a lanky bugger). Super comfy saddle. I sold it to someone in the barn who rides about twice a year so I still get to take it on a spin every now and then - especially lately - my PDN has reached the end of its (ancient) days.

I did like the saddle. My only complaint was that I bought it used, in whatever orange color they come in, and even after diligent oiling, it's still bright orange. For that reason alone I wasn't altogether too sad to part with it. Great saddle for at home, but I would never show with it because of the *horrifyingly* orange color.

Dramapony_misty
May. 11, 2009, 11:48 PM
My only complaint was that I bought it used, in whatever orange color they come in, and even after diligent oiling, it's still bright orange. For that reason alone I wasn't altogether too sad to part with it. Great saddle for at home, but I would never show with it because of the *horrifyingly* orange color.

Eww yeah...that color was called Neco I think. They have GenX saddles in the regular Oakbark color, and a new one in Dark Havanna brown.