PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this filly?

Alternative Ego
May. 6, 2009, 03:59 PM
I know, I know. Another conformation thread. :rolleyes:
Some brief info: just turned 2 in April, currently 15.1, started on basic groundwork. Very quiet & willing. Both parents successful in the hunter ring. Going Saturday with a trailer to check her out & most likely bring her home. I like her, and starting one from scratch is fine with me, since I'm in no hurry to get back in the show ring. I talked to the owner last night for a good half hour, and she sounds very promising, the price is right, as is the disposition. What do ya'll think? :cool:
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww44/alternative_ego/2009horses_045.jpg

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww44/alternative_ego/2009horses_046.jpg

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww44/alternative_ego/2009horses_049.jpg

brummelhorsefarm
May. 6, 2009, 04:14 PM
Not so good about the conformation but...

Her eye is SO sweet! :yes:

shawneeAcres
May. 6, 2009, 07:43 PM
Is this by chance one of Karen Whitfields fillies by her appendix QH stallion (who is now a gelding)? If so, those babies have great dispositions!

Alternative Ego
May. 7, 2009, 08:31 AM
Shawnee, as a matter of fact, it is! I've been talking to Karen through email and by phone the past couple of days and we both seem to think she will be a good match for what I'm looking to do. Karen seems to be a very nice person, and I am looking forward very much to meeting her on Saturday.
I'm just getting back into riding after 2 years away from it and being horseless for the first time. Unbroke is fine with me, as I'm not in any hurry to get back in the show ring, and would rather bring along a young one nice and slow. I would only be doing local shows anyway, so it doesn't have to be anything fancy. I really like this little filly, and the fact that she and her parents have the same wonderful disposition makes her even more appealing to me. I have a really good feeling she's coming home with me this Saturday! :)

Equinoxfox
May. 7, 2009, 08:46 AM
OK. Since you asked.
from the photos you really can't get a good overall view of her so based on what I see. AND IN MY OWN OPINION.. IF she is for lower level and local stuff that is fine. I am not a fan of her neck. I do not like the way it comes out from the shoulder. She is not standing in the best position . But looks to have a nice short back. I like that .
I wish she had a prettier head to be a female. Love the soft eye.
how does she move. By looking at the shoulder it looks to be okay ? but hey I am just one person. and my opinion is just that MINE.. so good luck .
IF you like her. and the price is right . Go For IT . who are we on here to doubt you.

shawneeAcres
May. 7, 2009, 08:56 AM
All of the horses by this stallion move very well. They tend to have somewhat plain heads, fairly big bone for QH/TB crosses and great dispositions. Also Karen is SUPER NICE to deal with and totally honest! I ahve known her most of my life and used to show a lot with her. I also have bought several young horses from her and they are all nice animals. I believe EQTRainer also on this site has or has had some horses by her stallion as well. Anyways, you could do a LOT worse!!

Penthilisea
May. 7, 2009, 08:58 AM
The mare looks like a servisable mount, but from these photos not a high level show horse.
-Her neck ties in low to her chest, making her look downhill.
-Thick unrefined throatlatch and head.
-Pasterns a wee upright + shortish forearma = choppier gaits
-Small feet proportionally to her size
-No real muscle to speak of
-High tail set does nothing except make her butt look even smaller

I do like her loin and most of topline (excluding the big wither which I dread to fit a saddle to).

If the price is right ($5000 and UNDER IMO assuming she saddle broken) then she might make a very nice Pony club mounted or all around local show competitor.

COnformation doesn't show heart, so don't think this a final assessment. She may grow and mature and be phenomenal!

MintHillFarm
May. 7, 2009, 09:14 AM
Go look, could be well worth the trip...
The photos may not do her justice as they are not great.
Let us know...attitude and mind are most important and she has a nice eye.

findeight
May. 7, 2009, 10:21 AM
Kind of an ugly duckling here, that color is tricky as they roan out, but, overall and since you want kind of a play around with horse that is not going rated Hunters and like to do most of your own work? And if the price is right (and I am assuming it is well under 5k?).

Something attractive about this one. She looks kind, not overly ambitious. Fairly well balanced, seems trim at the throatlatch, everything matches. Not going to be too tall, at least from what I can see but bet it's an air fern.

She is nice and chubby, well handled and well cared for and looks like a fun kind of a project for you to get back in with. Plus there is no untraining and retraining needed, you get to do this one your way from the start. Plus she is breed to be pretty easy to work with and that overall attitude says she will be just that-with a good and healthy start so far from this breeder.

And, you got a reference, these people are known and they answer your e mails;).

Go look. Take the trailer.

Alternative Ego
May. 7, 2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah, the pics are not great. Karen said she pretty much pulled her in from the pasture and took the pics a couple of weeks ago, so she still had a bit of winter fuzz. She also just now turned 2, so she still has growing to do. For what I'm looking to do, mainly pleasure riding with a few local shows thrown in, I think she'll be suitable. If I get her, most of my summer will be spent putting in a lot of ground work and basics. Not looking for a resale project or anything like that, just a horse that will be a good partner and once trained, hopefully family-friendly. :)

ETA: Findeight- You're right. I'm really liking the fact that I got a good reference here. That speaks volumes to me. And a clean slate is an added bonus...I think she'll be fun, and that's what I'm looking for!

PS: The price is very right!

findeight
May. 7, 2009, 10:25 AM
Pretty good shape for out of the field, nice gloss on that coat under the sunbleaching and shedding spots. That's a healthy one.

She should suit you.

Hauwse
May. 7, 2009, 10:46 AM
She does have a really kind eye, and for what you want to do conformation should really only be an issue as far as her well being goes, keeping her sound and happy, and I do not see anything that says issues down the road.

The things I do see in her conformation are that she is straight, straight up front, really straight behind. Some of the other little things I see may change as she is only 2, and looks she is at the front end of one of those awkward growth spurts peanuts go through.

Again though you are probably more interested in her heart and her head, and outside of the kind eye she seems calm, relaxed and like she might be fun to work with.

Good luck!!

shawneeAcres
May. 7, 2009, 11:09 AM
To the OP, which mare is the dam of this filly? I know a lot of the mares she has. One of the mares we bought and it may be this mare's filly, her name was "Wendy", a student of mine owned and showed her, but an old injury caused her to get to the point she could not continue to jump so she was sold as a flat/pleasure horse. She was a nice mover though and a good jumper!

FYI, tell Karen Carrie said "hi"! Havent seen her in a couple of years!

Alternative Ego
May. 7, 2009, 11:37 AM
Shawnee- She is out of Plum Precious, and if I'm remembering correctly had shown successfully in up Va with a short stirrup kid until a pasture injury ended her career.
I'll be sure to tell her hello for you. It really gives me peace of mind to know that the person I may be purchasing a horse from is someone who is well known and has a solid reputation. That's kind of hard to come by these days ;)

shawneeAcres
May. 7, 2009, 02:00 PM
Shawnee- She is out of Plum Precious, and if I'm remembering correctly had shown successfully in up Va with a short stirrup kid until a pasture injury ended her career.
I'll be sure to tell her hello for you. It really gives me peace of mind to know that the person I may be purchasing a horse from is someone who is well known and has a solid reputation. That's kind of hard to come by these days ;)

That is the same mare that we had. We bought her after she foaled and started her back to work, and she did great for about 8 months, but the old injury came back up. She is by a pretty nice QH stallion named The Plumber that showed quite a bit over fences.

Alternative Ego
May. 7, 2009, 02:12 PM
Small world, ain't it? :winkgrin: